Riding Scooter From Central Bkk To Kanchanaburi

Sydneycraig

Going to pick my scooter up tmr in Bangkok... Plan to go to kanchanaburi and the tiger place then down to hua hin and south but no plan of route out of bkk. Any tips if a route with things to do on the way ?! Have plenty of time ... Any tips how not to die riding in bkk too!!! Feeling a little apprehensive !

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you will have a great trip! I am planning a similar trip: 90 days going south from Bangkok to Phuket and visiting Koh Hkun Seng, Samui, and whereever else I feel like on the way, taking it very easy. :)

Did you buy the scooter in Bangkok? I need to find a dealer in Bangkok for a new Honda Click or similar, and I need to get in contact with them by e-mail before going to Thailand (to sort out what papers I need etc.). Does anyone know a dealer with a website in English? I have only been able to locate one using Google (hondasumetcycle), and they are in no hurry to answer e-mails.

Good for you, go for it but keep your eyes on the mirrors at all times.

Three years ago I Rode from Bangkok through Kanchanburi and then on over to three Pagoda pass on the Burmese border. Stayed a night there then back to Kanchaburi for a night on my way back to Bangkok.

After that down into Hua Hun for a night then on to Chumpon with a detour through Sam Roi Yot National park. Stayed in Chumpon for a night then on down to Krabi.

Two nights there in Ao Nang then another 65 klm to Ko Lanta for another two nights. Came back up to Krabi and cut across the new highway to the East side and got the ferry from Don Sak to Ko Phangan, stayed there for three days.

Decided I did not want to ride all the way back to Bangkok so the bike and I ended up on the train at Pun Phin station near Surat Thani for the overnight back to Bangkok.

Overall a great trip and a great way to meet local people. There are a lot of interesting places to stop along the way. If you do go further south it can be a little ways between petrol stations but there are usually shops selling gas in one litre bottles along the way. I bought an extra one and stuck it in with my gear in case i ran out.

Anyway, wherever you decide to go, enjoy it and have a safe trip. Let us know how you get on when you come back.

Edited by carbine1125
  • Like 1

I hope you will have a great trip! I am planning a similar trip: 90 days going south from Bangkok to Phuket and visiting Koh Hkun Seng, Samui, and whereever else I feel like on the way, taking it very easy. smile.png

Did you buy the scooter in Bangkok? I need to find a dealer in Bangkok for a new Honda Click or similar, and I need to get in contact with them by e-mail before going to Thailand (to sort out what papers I need etc.). Does anyone know a dealer with a website in English? I have only been able to locate one using Google (hondasumetcycle), and they are in no hurry to answer e-mails.

If you search the bike section on Thaivisa classified you should see ads from those that will help foreigners to buy bikes here and will also assist with registration.

I wonder how long you can ride a 125 scooter at cruise speed ( 60/70 kmh) without burning the engine..

Maybe a silly question, but it seems to me those scooters are not built for riding long distances..

I was doing Trat- Chanthaburi a couple of times, about 70 km... At half way i took a break cause the engine seemed to be too hot.

Did you buy the scooter in Bangkok? I need to find a dealer in Bangkok for a new Honda Click or similar

If you search the bike section on Thaivisa classified you should see ads from those that will help foreigners to buy bikes here and will also assist with registration.

I wish it was that simple. Searching the classified only gives me second hand scooters or new big bikes. I haven't seen any adds offering help. Overall search in this forum found one dealer (which haven't yet replied), and using Google I only find big bikes or second hand scooters.

Did you buy the scooter in Bangkok? I need to find a dealer in Bangkok for a new Honda Click or similar

I wish it was that simple. Searching the classified only gives me second hand scooters or new big bikes. I haven't seen any adds offering help. Overall search in this forum found one dealer (which haven't yet replied), and using Google I only find big bikes or second hand scooters.

for a new bike just go to dealer with cash and proof of residency cert right?!

I hope you will have a great trip! I am planning a similar trip: 90 days going south from Bangkok to Phuket and visiting Koh Hkun Seng, Samui, and whereever else I feel like on the way, taking it very easy. :)

Contact Brian at Sumet cycle Honda dealer . He is a forum sponsor and speaks fairly good english ( for an American :lol: )

Pm him. I know he has been away for a week or so on holiday.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

Contact Brian at Sumet cycle Honda dealer . He is a forum sponsor and speaks fairly good english ( for an American laugh.png )

Pm him. I know he has been away for a week or so on holiday.

Maybe that is why he hasn't answered yet. I will try to be patient.

for a new bike just go to dealer with cash and proof of residency cert right?!

I have been told that it may take up to three months to get the plates and that you are not allowed to leave the province with the red plates. So I need to know if that is the case or not. And if I need anything else besides what you mentioned.

Edited by farang51

I'll be stopping a lot if only to take some pics.. Just picked bike up in bkk from Phuket (2000b 1 week) staying in bkk a few days before I go smile.png initial thoughts of a couple hrs riding in bkk is that bts is much quicker!!

Picked up a bike in bkk from Phuket? (2000b 1 week???????)

Are you trying to say that you are renting a bike? I would NEVER trust a rental bike (especially a 100cc) for a distance trip in Thailand. Be very careful or you will end up owning the bike for a lot more then it is worth mate.

• Like 1

Probably too late as your posty was yesterday....whatever.

I used to Motorcycle regularly from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. TIo me teh best route avoiding teh major roads is to head north out of town heading towards Pathumthani turn left in teh general direction of West and find teh 346 heading for Lat Lum Keaw and thence to Don Thum. from there there's a back road into Kanchanburi town.

This is much quieter than teh main hiway heading south and a lot safer too

DOnt listen to all the nay-sayers they live in such a protected world they rarely venture out of their own cocoons.

Good luck, take it easy, concentrate and enjoy

AjarnP

• Like 1

It's probably crazy dangerous.

So is hang gliding and kite surfing. So is scuba diving, skydiving and skiing black diamonds. So is....

You know what's probably not dangerous? Playing checkers, and watching TV at home.

Keep your wits about you, take your time and save the drinking for after you're off the road.

Have a blast and post back how you liked it! I've been thinking about taking my new (to me) scooter to K'buri instead of the train or bus...

Hey I am in Huay Kwang area just bought a new scooter Yamaha Filano they are $45000 baht and the Honda Click is about the same price. We got the plates in 2 weeks. The scooter is in my wifes name not sure what she needed. There are plenty of motorcycle shops aroung there prices are basically the same. I wish you the best of luck sorry but i will not be trying that kind of trip. Just going down Ratchadapisek is an adventure.

We got the plates in 2 weeks. The scooter is in my wifes name not sure what she needed. There are plenty of motorcycle shops aroung there prices are basically the same. I wish you the best of luck sorry but i will not be trying that kind of trip. Just going down Ratchadapisek is an adventure.

Great to hear about the 2 weeks. I am staying two weeks in Bangkok before I will go south. I have been thinking of taking the train out of Bangkok, due to traffic and pollution sick.gif Anyway, when out of Bangkok I plan on taking the small roads, should be more fun and interesting and not as dangerous.

@ Sydneycraig:

How long time do you plan your trip to take?

A few weeks down the coast but no real plan ... A few days to kanchanaburi ..

Same same me, except, I'm not going to kanchanaburi and I will spend more time going around. It would be really nice to read about your experience and maybe get some tips about where to stop on the way. My plan is to start late October.

I have an 8 yr old Honda Wave 125cc that has over 80,000 kms with nothing more than an oil change every 30 days and new brake pads and tires. With a little bit of care they seem to run for ever. The longest trip I ever did in one day is about 500 km. On a long trip 60 to 70 kmh would probably be the best speed for the engine. I personally think that it is not how long the engine will hold up rather how long your butt will hold up. Much luck with your trip.

• Like 1

Thanks... Three pagoda pass worth the trip? Why come back to bkk before hua hin?

To tell the truth my rear end was a little sore so needed a break before heading South, also one of the reasons I took the train ride back up again. Edited by carbine1125