Hollywood Film 'crash Bandits' To Be Filmed In Thailand

george

Hollywood film 'Crash Bandits' to be filmed in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- The producers of the Hollywood film "Crash Bandits" has selected Thailand as its main location for shooting a film which potentially can generate significant income for local people, Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Juthamas Siriwan said here on Friday.

"Crash Bandits" producer Elie Samaha decided to shoot the Bt6 billion (US$250 million) film in Thailand, according to Mrs. Juthamas.

Production is scheduled to start in February, she said, adding that Hayden Christensen from Star Wars has been cast in a leading role in this new action movie.

The film features treasure seekers who target aircraft which have crashed and which are carrying valuable cargoes.

It is directed by John McTiernan who gained fame from 'Predator' and 'Die Hard'.

The film will be shot in Bangkok, the mountainous northern province of Chiang Mai and the famous Andaman Sea resort of Phuket in the South, according to Governor Juthamas.

Mrs. Juthamas said Thailand has bright potential to be selected as the on-site location of filming as the country has quality workers, but inexpensive labour cost.

"Film technology and support services for filmmakers is rapidly developing in Thailand," she said, "and we have beautiful scenic views quite suitable for filming," she said.

If one-stop service can be developed, it could help facilitate the foreign film producers, she added.

She said in 2005, 497 foreign films were shot in Thailand, generating Bt1.13 billion (more than US$28 million) in revenue.

--TNA 2006-01-20

The film features treasure seekers who target aircraft which have crashed and which are carrying valuable cargoes.

Doesn't sound all the great of a plot line for a good movie. :o

Maybe not, but I believe about 120km northwest of Bangkok there are lots of potential advisors.

Doesn't sound all the great of a plot line for a good movie. :o

Maybe not, but I believe about 120km northwest of Bangkok there are lots of potential advisors.

At least the Thais will get something out of it, because I don't think movie goers will. Sounds like another Beach. :D

Hollywood film 'Crash Bandits' to be filmed in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- The producers of the Hollywood film "Crash Bandits" has selected Thailand as its main location for shooting a film which potentially can generate significant income for local people, Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Juthamas Siriwan said here on Friday.

"Crash Bandits" producer Elie Samaha decided to shoot the Bt6 billion (US$250 million) film in Thailand, according to Mrs. Juthamas.

Production is scheduled to start in February, she said, adding that Hayden Christensen from Star Wars has been cast in a leading role in this new action movie.

It is directed by John McTiernan who gained fame from 'Predator' and 'Die Hard'.

The film will be shot in Bangkok, the mountainous northern province of Chiang Mai and the famous Andaman Sea resort of Phuket in the South, according to Governor Juthamas.

Mrs. Juthamas said Thailand has bright potential to be selected as the on-site location of filming as the country has quality workers, but inexpensive labour cost.

"Film technology and support services for filmmakers is rapidly developing in Thailand," she said, "and we have beautiful scenic views quite suitable for filming," she said.

If one-stop service can be developed, it could help facilitate the foreign film producers, she added.

She said in 2005, 497 foreign films were shot in Thailand, generating Bt1.13 billion (more than US$28 million) in revenue.

--TNA 2006-01-20

George, Thank you for the Crash Bandits update.Do you know the Thailand Coordinators (company) or would i contact Thai Gov.I have some other work possibilities in Bangkok but Film Production is my real skill (Art Director,Set Design/Construction).

Thank you for your time. josh

Sometime about 14 years ago, a plane crashed north of Bangkok a ways--maybe this "120K north of Bangkok" line was referring to this crash. The crash was picked over by the locals, stealing everything including rings and watches from the dead bodies. When a news reporter asked a thief how he could steal from the dead, he responded "If we don't take it, the police will."

Several months after that, a plane crashed in Samui and the same thing happened. Even the Buddhist amulet of the Thai pilot was stolen from his dead body.

And, how on earth can they spend $250 million on a movie like this??????

And one more thing, "She said in 2005, 497 foreign films were shot in Thailand, generating Bt1.13 billion (more than US$28 million) in revenue."

THAT IS ONLY $56k / MOVIE That is not much at all!! hel_l, my university in the States gets something like $20K / day for allowing filming.

Sometime about 14 years ago, a plane crashed north of Bangkok a ways--maybe this "120K north of Bangkok" line was referring to this crash. The crash was picked over by the locals, stealing everything including rings and watches from the dead bodies. When a news reporter asked a thief how he could steal from the dead, he responded "If we don't take it, the police will."

Several months after that, a plane crashed in Samui and the same thing happened. Even the Buddhist amulet of the Thai pilot was stolen from his dead body.

And, how on earth can they spend $250 million on a movie like this??????

And one more thing, "She said in 2005, 497 foreign films were shot in Thailand, generating Bt1.13 billion (more than US$28 million) in revenue."

THAT IS ONLY $56k / MOVIE That is not much at all!! hel_l, my university in the States gets something like $20K / day for allowing filming.

The math is messed up on the production costs, 6 billion Baht is about $150 million. But that still is a lot, so I'd expect a big special effects budget for crash scenes and chases. Google the producer's name and you'll see he has done a lot of ok films. Nothing really great. But a big budget is a big budget, so hopefull there'll be lots of on site filming.

I'm a bit apprehensive with the plot - what if Hollywood producers chose Thailand because they think they can film real plane crashes and save of special effects, CGI, and no need to pay extras either. Or is it the local expertise that nailed it?