Cancel Work Permit And Visa

Hi all, just a quick question about canceling my WP and VISA. My VISA expires on August 14th and I plan on study here in Thailand after that. So my plan is to leave the country and fly to China on Friday night and come back next week on a tourist VISA while I wait on my school to get the papers ready for the student VISA.

My question is, do I have to cancel the VISA if I will come back before or on the 14th or will it just cancel itself. The company I work for is very small and they have had problems finding the info needed, so if anyone knows what to do and what papers are need that would be great.

Also do I have to leave the country to get the ED visa, most say yes, but I have heard it is possible to not leave.

Thanks

If the last day of the validity of your work permit is not the same day as your last day of employment, you must cancel the WP. Your permission to stay ends the day your employment ends. So if your last day of employment is not the 14 but sooner, you need to cancel your permission to stay as well. If WP and permission to stay end on the 14th, you could just leave on that date. But also depends on the local labour office.

For cancellation you just need to take a letter from your employer to the labour office, confirming your last day of employment. A same letter you can give to immigration. You might get a form from the labour office you can show to immirgaiton to show your WP has been cancelled.

In country conversion to an ED-visa depends very much on the local immirgaiton office. Many don't allow it, some do. Best is to ask the school you will study at. They will know the local situation best.

You put "VISA" in caps and they never need to be canceled - but "extensions of stay" from immigration are required to be canceled under current policy on the last day of work - and people have been turned back at border to do so (but have not seen any such reports from airport exit). It would be best to cancel both work permit and extension of stay (if that is what you have).

Not sure where in China you plan to obtain the visa but Consulates in that country are not know for being easy on third country nationals for visa issue so if only for the tourist visa would recommend Laos/Cambodia/Malaysia as likely a better option. Is there any chance to obtain school paperwork so you can immediately obtain an ED visa (if that is your plan for the longer term)?

Thanks everyone, well I guess it is an extension to stay I have. I got 3 months B visa in USA before I came here and then 1 year from here.

My WP end May 2013, but company will cancel my employment tomorrow, or on 14th.

I just plan to go to HK and then Shenzhen and come back as tourist and not on my B visa. That way I should get 30 day tourist VISA when I enter, I am Swedish and that can be converted to ED or I just fly home as soon as papers are done from school

Regards Micael

Do you have a re-entry permit? Without that or a visa you may not be able to return without an onward travel ticket within 30 days. It is not a tourist visa but a visa exempt entry of 30 days you will receive if you get here. Do not believe you will be able to obtain an ED visa entry from that but you have not mentioned type of study and that, and facility, could matter.

You should get a letter to cancel both your work permit and extension of stay from employer.

You put "VISA" in caps and they never need to be canceled - but "extensions of stay" from immigration are required to be canceled under current policy on the last day of work - and people have been turned back at border to do so (but have not seen any such reports from airport exit). It would be best to cancel both work permit and extension of stay (if that is what you have).

Not sure where in China you plan to obtain the visa but Consulates in that country are not know for being easy on third country nationals for visa issue so if only for the tourist visa would recommend Laos/Cambodia/Malaysia as likely a better option. Is there any chance to obtain school paperwork so you can immediately obtain an ED visa (if that is your plan for the longer term)?

Like said before the Visa extension has to be cancelled even when you not going to use it any more.

This is because you can get problems if you like to apply for an new Business Visa/Extension in the future and they see that you did not cancel the old extension.

So if you change jobs am I right in assuming that once you have stopped working at one, you must cancel your work permit (via immigration) then do another visa run for a B visa before re applying for a new work permit for the new job ?

So if you change jobs am I right in assuming that once you have stopped working at one, you must cancel your work permit (via immigration) then do another visa run for a B visa before re applying for a new work permit for the new job ?

You cancel the work permit at the labor department and the extension at immigration.

If you can get your previous employer and new one to cooperate it is possible to get a new work permit and then change extension to your new employer.

If not you either need to leave the country or get a 7 day extension (1900 baht) when you cancel your extension.