Married In Thailand Divorced In Us

I live in Thailand now and want to know if I can re-marry in Thailand with just my divorce papers from the US or do I have to get a divorce in thailand with my ex wife here. She lives in the US now. We were married about 6 years ago and divorced about 2 years ago. Shes now a resident of the US.

I beleive that you are free to re marry anywhere you want but, like your first marriage, will be required to fill out an affirmation of freedom to marry & provide copies of your divorce certificates. I will move this to the visa section though as it will get more answers there.

You were married to a Thai in Thailand who now you have a US divorce from and she lives in the US and you now want to marry another Thai in Thailand?

The US divorce should be just a legal as the Thai marriage so don't believe there will be a problem but there may be a requirement to have the divorce papers made internationally legal so I would check with the US Embassy ACSU to be sure.

You might even be able to do by email to [email protected]

Thanks for the info. I remember filling out a form at the US embassy claiming I'm not married. I guess it makes sense that the form and divorce papers are all I need.

You were married to a Thai in Thailand who now you have a US divorce from and she lives in the US and you now want to marry another Thai in Thailand?

I really don't want to get married again but shes flying out soon and I wanted to know if I needed her. I live here now so no hurry to "buy the cow".

Thanks for the info. I remember filling out a form at the US embassy claiming I'm not married. I guess it makes sense that the form and divorce papers are all I need.

I really don't want to get married again but shes flying out soon and I wanted to know if I needed her. I live here now so no hurry to "buy the cow".

Been there - done it. You don't need her, just your US divorce papers. When you 'buy the cow', you go to the amphur and they will give you all the papers you need, which include affirmations of freedom to marry etc (in Bangkok they were all translated into Engllish with examples etc) and you go to your embassy with your divorce papers and do the affirmations for an exhorbitant fee. Then back to the amphur, and with any luck you'll get married again - although as all my friends keep asking... why? why??