Massive Perseids Meteor Shower On Saturday Night: Thailand

webfact

Believe that is based on US time and the previous Thai posting of Sunday night/Monday morning would likely be best for Thailand. Anyone know the science? The later in the month the better for viewing as less moonlight but activity will decrease.

• Like 1

Believe that is based on US time and the previous Thai posting of Sunday night/Monday morning would likely be best for Thailand. Anyone know the science? The later in the month the better for viewing as less moonlight but activity will decrease.

sorry Lop, but I just realized that you have more posts than JT. Now that's AMAZING. Back on topic, it would be great to see this once in a lifetime event. But every night (here in Bangkok) for the last few days at least it has been cloudy.

Public invited to watch meteor shower on Mother´s Day

BANGKOK, 10 August 2012 (NNT) - The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) is inviting the public to view the annual Perseids meteor shower and the Moon occulting Jupiter on the night of Mother’s Day, August 12.

NARIT Director Assoc Prof Boonraksa Soonthornthum said on August 12 of every year, astronomical phenomena known as the Moon occulting the planet Jupiter and the Perseids meteor shower can be observed from the night sky.

The crescent Moon will occult Jupiter in the late hours of August 12, at 0.11 degrees north of the planet. The phenomenon will be primarily visible in the South of Thailand, where rain clouds are scarce.

The Perseids shower, Assoc Prof Boonraksa said, can be viewed from midnight of August 12 to the early hours of August 13. The shower is the second brightest, next to the Leonids meteor shower. This year, stargazers can expect to see over 100 meteors per hour.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-10 footer_n.gif

sorry Lop, but I just realized that you have more posts than JT. Now that's AMAZING. Back on topic, it would be great to see this once in a lifetime event. But every night (here in Bangkok) for the last few days at least it has been cloudy.

bkkjames....

I think this meteor shower happens every year if I'm not mistaken.

I googled perseids earlier today and came to that conclusion.

It's caused by the remnamts of a comet as earth passes through

each year...or something like that. Hope the clouds break cause

I'd like to try to get some photos.

bkkjames....

I think this meteor shower happens every year if I'm not mistaken.

I googled perseids earlier today and came to that conclusion.

It's caused by the remnamts of a comet as earth passes through

each year...or something like that. Hope the clouds break cause

I'd like to try to get some photos.

yes, its annual.

and yes, the time is LOCAL time in Thailand.

try to find a dark place away from city lights.

read the info here:

http://www.spacedex....ia-thailand.php

Edited by easybullet3

Conflicting info (not the first time):

The Perseids shower, Assoc Prof Boonraksa said, can be viewed from midnight of August 12 to the early hours of August 13. The shower is the second brightest, next to the Leonids meteor shower. This year, stargazers can expect to see over 100 meteors per hour.

nntlogo.jpg

While topic starts with:

'Watch the skies on Saturday night From 11pm till 4:30am"

I guess we have to watch 2 nights.....

Actually the showers have already started and are visible for nearly a month but the peak time is late Sunday night to early Monday morning Thailand time.

Would be great if someone in a good location with a good camera could post some photos here!

Good Day,

The Moon-Jupiter eclipse --

It will occur on the night of August 11th, morning of August 12th.

The Perseid meteor shower --

1) The Perseids occur on the night of August 12th, morning of August 13th

2) The meteors appear to emanate from the constellation Perseus; hence, the shower's name

3) The constellation Perseus breaches the northeastern horizon at about 8:00pm (in most of the northern hemisphere) and clears the horizon at about 10:45; thus, the best viewing occurs when it's well above the horizon, typically after 1:00am on August 13th

4) The typical number observed

5) Meteors from the shower can be observed several nights before and after the peak night, so the actually peak might occur one or two nights before or after the expected peak

6) Meteors can be seen as soon as the sky is dark enough

7) Typical meteors are bright and faster than meteors in other showers (e.g., The Geminids in December -- an average of 100 meteors per hour plus the sky is more likely to be clear)

8) The Geminids is the best meteor shower of the year in terms of the number of objects, their brightness, their lengths, and the number of bolides; The Quadrantids is the second best with 60 to 100 meteors per hour, ; The Perseids is the third best with 60 to 80

9) When photographing meteors, in general, set up a camera on a tripod, open the shutter for as many minutes as possible, and close the shutter whenever you believe that you recorded a meteor; trying to photograph them by hand and swinging to catch them is, essentially, impossible

10) Set up a lawn-type chair (where you can rest your head back), face east/northeast, avoid seeing the horizon in order to maximize the chance of seeing meteors, and drink something that will keep you awake (containing caffeine, sugar, etc.)

11) The comet related to the shower is 109P/Swift-Tuttle; the comet, like all comets, follows the same path around the sun (unless it's disturbed by another object along its path -- e.g., Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashing into Jupiter in July, 2009) and therefore supplies new meteor material whenever it crosses the earth's revolutionary path around the sun

12) On average, a person will see 60 to 80 meteors per hour

13) The Leonids is typically one of the weakest showers of the year -- an average of about one dozen meteors per hour, but occasionally it puts on great shows

Sorry for any repeated information. And sorry if this is TMI ("too much information).

(member of an astronomy club, minor in astro-geophysics)

• Like 1

Public invited to watch meteor shower on Mother´s Day

BANGKOK, 10 August 2012 (NNT) - The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) is inviting the public to view the annual Perseids meteor shower and the Moon occulting Jupiter on the night of Mother’s Day, August 12.

NARIT Director Assoc Prof Boonraksa Soonthornthum said on August 12 of every year, astronomical phenomena known as the Moon occulting the planet Jupiter and the Perseids meteor shower can be observed from the night sky.

The crescent Moon will occult Jupiter in the late hours of August 12, at 0.11 degrees north of the planet. The phenomenon will be primarily visible in the South of Thailand, where rain clouds are scarce.

nntlogo.jpg

Inviting the public to view nature.

Well golly gee.

Thanks...wai.gif

Good Day,

2) The meteors appear to emanate from the constellation Perseus; hence, the shower's name

3) The constellation Perseus breaches the northeastern horizon at about 8:00pm (in most of the northern hemisphere) and clears the horizon at about 10:45; thus, the best viewing occurs when it's well above the horizon, typically after 1:00am on August 13th

5) Meteors from the shower can be observed several nights before and after the peak night, so the actually peak might occur one or two nights before or after the expected peak

7) Typical meteors are bright and faster than meteors in other showers (e.g., The Geminids in December -- an average of 100 meteors per hour plus the sky is more likely to be clear)

8) The Geminids is the best meteor shower of the year in terms of the number of objects, their brightness, their lengths, and the number of bolides; The Quadrantids is the second best with 60 to 100 meteors per hour, ; The Perseids is the third best with 60 to 80

9) When photographing meteors, in general, set up a camera on a tripod, open the shutter for as many minutes as possible, and close the shutter whenever you believe that you recorded a meteor; trying to photograph them by hand and swinging to catch them is, essentially, impossible

10) Set up a lawn-type chair (where you can rest your head back), face east/northeast, avoid seeing the horizon in order to maximize the chance of seeing meteors, and drink something that will keep you awake (containing caffeine, sugar, etc.)

11) The comet related to the shower is 109P/Swift-Tuttle; the comet, like all comets, follows the same path around the sun (unless it's disturbed by another object along its path -- e.g., Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashing into Jupiter in July, 2009) and therefore supplies new meteor material whenever it crosses the earth's revolutionary path around the sun

13) The Leonids is typically one of the weakest showers of the year -- an average of about one dozen meteors per hour, but occasionally it puts on great shows

Sorry for any repeated information. And sorry if this is TMI ("too much information).

Thanks alot for this! Makes me wish I was in Phu Rhua right now ...

Good Day,

Thanks for such an intelligent and informanitive post. Few and far between on TV these days. Hard to find a topic where some idiot does not mention Taksin. Wish I had clear skys up here in the NE tonight. If you have an android phone there is an amazing free app available for looking at the night skys. Is called SkEye.

This story appears without fail fail every year. Usually turns out that it was too cloudy to see them. Even if there's good weather, due to the unpredictable nature of the event, any meteors are few and far between.

In my past life, spending many a night on a black silk ocean on a moonless night, no city lights to hinder my night-vision........

..........I have been fortunate enough to witness these meteor showers, plus total and partial eclipses of the moon (non-moonless night of course), and the Southern Aurora plus many more.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera that countered the movement of the ship, but I do have all the images fully retained in my tiny little cranial space.........so when technology advances to the point of being able to download my images........you are all welcome to have a look.

I know I can hear the comments coming......."but all I see is a blank space!" ha ha ha ha .

Have fun guys, enjoy the show if the clouds allow.

Cheers.

In my past life, spending many a night on a black silk ocean on a moonless night, no city lights to hinder my night-vision........

..........I have been fortunate enough to witness these meteor showers, plus total and partial eclipses of the moon (non-moonless night of course), and the Southern Aurora plus many more.

It was probably distracted, star-gazing seafarers like you who misunderstood Titanic's distress signals...

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Actually the showers have already started and are visible for nearly a month but the peak time is late Sunday night to early Monday morning Thailand time.

Would be great if someone in a good location with a good camera could post some photos here!

+1---pics please, if possible.

Some nice timelapse footage of the 2010 Perseid Meteor shower filmed in California's Eastern Sierra on a Canon 5d Mark II. The shorter streaks lasting about an inch of the screen before fading are meteors and the longer ones that don't fade are most likely aeroplanes. By the way the stars circle, quite a lot of the footage seems to have been filmed looking northwards with the Pole star in roughly the centre of the screen.

Watched best in full screen 720 HD.

Edited by katana

• 3 months later...