The Thai Shopping Basket......Cost Of Living ( And No Not That Again ).

theblether

Just reading the thread about Chiang Rai...........it got me thinking about creating a cost comparison shopping basket between the various areas. Obviously things like schooling, housing etc would have to be involved so!!! how about we try to create a multi-point shopping basket and use it as a template for enquiries about where is best to live? ( an enquiry which is quite common on TV ).

At the risk of being lazy.......I don't have time just now to start it off so I'll leave it to my charismatic and erudite fellow members to suggest what would be in a comprehensive shopping basket for cost of living comparisons.

So the root is.......comparison baskets......not another thread about how much does it cost to live in Thailand bah.gifbiggrin.png

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put in a car and all savings are gone ...... so better convience yourself taking taxis is just as good as your own car.

Put in a real house with a stove , bathtub a decnt size livingroom ...... oops thats to expensive to better leave that out

Steak , Hamburger , oops not Thai better leave that out.

Levis.......... nope imported ...... whats the point ?

Edited by MrRealDeal

good indicators are the menues of

- mcdonalds

- kfc

- au bon pain

and starbucks prices...

Only relevant if you look at wages ...... Big macks cost about the same in Thailand as the USA however min wage in the USA is 5 times as much so looking at just the price is an unrealistc comparasion , and no sensible meashure of the actual cost of living between the 2 places.
  • Like 1

Only relevant if you look at wages ...... Big macks cost about the same in Thailand as the USA however min wage in the USA is 5 times as much so looking at just the price is an unrealistc comparasion , and no sensible meashure of the actual cost of living between the 2 places.

its about a "shopping basket"...

Put in a car and all savings are gone ...... so better convience yourself taking taxis is just as good as your own car.

Put in a real house with a stove , bathtub a decnt size livingroom ...... oops thats to expensive to better leave that out

Steak , Hamburger , oops not Thai better leave that out.

Levis.......... nope imported ...... whats the point ?

Steak quite cheap at Makro.

Hamburgers, make your own. Pork mince is 100B a kilo. Add in breadcrumbs and onions and the price per kilo goes down. Yes £2/$3 for a kilo.

Houses with living rooms are available from a few thousand baht depending on where you live.

Oven 20,000 baht and a bath less than that (?).

Levis are made in Thailand.

http://voices.yahoo.com/best-factory-outlet-stores-bangkok-thailand-jeans-4796546.html

Edited by arthurwait

good indicators are the menues of

- mcdonalds

- kfc

- au bon pain

and starbucks prices...

Don't know about the US, but Maconalds are about a third of the price of the UK. Although it's a while since I've been back.

Can one of our UK (and US) residents let us know what the current prices are ?

beer brand a (per xy ml bottle)

beer brand b (per xy ml bottle)

marlboro

other cig brands

coke / pepsi cans

bottled water (1 ltr)

eggs (1/6/12 pcs)

magnum ice cream

things, which can be compared by brand or by type e.g. minced pork (more difficult)...

Edited by biggunguy
  • Like 1

beer brand a (per xy ml bottle)

beer brand b (per xy ml bottle)

marlboro

other cig brands

coke / pepsi cans

bottled water (1 ltr)

magnum ice cream

things, which can be compared by brand or by type e.g. minced pork (more difficult)...

It's easier. You can't compare imported things as it all varies on country and import tax.

Basic things are what's needed to be compared.

Chicken breast 90-100Baht a kilo. £1.80 - £2.00 per kilo. Four years ago in the UK the cheapest was about £12 per kilo.

And another basic like for like comparison: Thai beer 25-50 baht in a shop. Tramps piss in the UK = free.

You can't compare imported things as it all varies on country and import tax.

Yes, sure it is comparable... you have to pay that price for the product...

it doesnt matter whether the price is based on import tax or transportation cost or different quality...

I bought one jar of vegemite in Thinglor for 149b and then I bought another one the same day in Ploenchit for 190b.

So compare away...thats the only essential shopping requirement anyway.

VEGEMITE! VEGEMITE!

It's MARMITE you want!

I agree: we can do inferior substitution when the real thing is not available

On a side note, I was in a Sports bar down in Sukhumvit last week. 1 litre Heineken, 350 baht.....I had to go outside to check if I'd been transported to central London.

I hadn't, it was BKK, at London prices. Oh well.

Any idea what nationality the owner was ?

On a side note, I was in a Sports bar down in Sukhumvit last week. 1 litre Heineken, 350 baht.....I had to go outside to check if I'd been transported to central London.

I hadn't, it was BKK, at London prices. Oh well.

Any idea what nationality the owner was ?

I'm guessing the reference was to the Huntsman pub in the Landmark, in which case not representative pricing in my book.

Why do you need UK and such foods in your basket to compare living costs and standards between CM and Hua Hin for example ?

If you cannot do without your western luxuires, you should go home.

Vegemite excluded as it is not a luxury.