The Thai Shopping Basket......Cost Of Living ( And No Not That Again ).

theblether

Sorry to be too on topic, but here's a link to the items included in (and removed from) the UK's 2010 basket. Might be as good a place for you to start as any?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/mar/15/inflation-basket

On topic is where I want to be, however my esteemed fellow members are determined to debate the attributes of vegemite/marmite. I can easily live without both.

@arthurwait, don't know, I was following Smokie36 about like a collie dog and not paying much attention. I do know we sat down, Smokie looked at the price list, got up and left.

So I trailed out behind him, as I said, like a wee lost collie dog

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TwoDogz, the supermarkets in town have stopped doing Marmite, or Vegemite for that matter. Emergency call back home and my lovely mum is sending me a jar accompanied with some Jacobs Cream Crackers. Thanks mum, I love you.

Stuff they we always have in stock at home;

Strawberry jam and marmalade, something like Bonne Mamom or whatever, good butter, cheddar cheese, milk, nice bread, selection of fruits, tea bags, instant coffee, eggs, meat, salad veg, cereal.

As a guess I would say our shopping basket cost is about the same as in the UK. A lot of things here are much cheaper, but it's counter balanced by the import stuff that is standard in most homes in the UK. Although I will add if I was to buy whatever I want here the cost would be more. It's just for things like bacon, salami, Brie, sausages, fresh orange juice, grapefruit juice, Jaffa Cakes,

etc.

I bought one jar of vegemite in Thinglor for 149b and then I bought another one the same day in Ploenchit for 190b.

So compare away...thats the only essential shopping requirement anyway.

VEGEMITE! VEGEMITE!

It's MARMITE you want!

I agree: we can do inferior substitution when the real thing is not available

I disagree, If for some reason marmite was the only thing on offer I'd rather spread cat turds on my toast...

• Like 2

I bought one jar of vegemite in Thinglor for 149b and then I bought another one the same day in Ploenchit for 190b.

So compare away...thats the only essential shopping requirement anyway.

VEGEMITE! VEGEMITE!

It's MARMITE you want!

I agree: we can do inferior substitution when the real thing is not available

I disagree, If for some reason marmite was the only thing on offer I'd rather spread cat turds on my toast...

It's only a price comparison substitution..no tasting required!

On a side note, I was in a Sports bar down in Sukhumvit last week. 1 litre Heineken, 350 baht.....I had to go outside to check if I'd been transported to central London.

I hadn't, it was BKK, at London prices. Oh well.

Any idea what nationality the owner was ?

I'm guessing the reference was to the Huntsman pub in the Landmark, in which case not representative pricing in my book.

On topic is where I want to be, however my esteemed fellow members are determined to debate the attributes of vegemite/marmite. I can easily live without both.

@arthurwait, don't know, I was following Smokie36 about like a collie dog and not paying much attention. I do know we sat down, Smokie looked at the price list, got up and left.

So I trailed out behind him, as I said, like a wee lost collie dog

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was a Thai or Farang owner. Now I've eaten dinner I'm not sure why I asked. biggrin.png

• Like 1

must include chocolate.... Swiss or Belgium,

How much chocolate have you eaten today? Your a bit hyper today twodogz

I bought 12 blocks on Wednesday, we have 3 left now, just polished of a swiss white choc block.

must include chocolate.... Swiss or Belgium,

How much chocolate have you eaten today? Your a bit hyper today twodogz

I bought 12 blocks on Wednesday, we have 3 left now, just polished of a swiss white choc block.

I'm concerned about price and quality of toothpaste.....and razors.

I've just noticed a jar of marmite in my office, I've never tried it and to be honest I'm a bit scared to try it.

Anyway, if we can get past chocolate sugar rushes and marmite maybe we can create a shopping basket huh?

Just an idea,

Just sayin'

I've just noticed a jar of marmite in my office, I've never tried it and to be honest I'm a bit scared to try it.

Anyway, if we can get past chocolate sugar rushes and marmite maybe we can create a shopping basket huh?

Just an idea,

Just sayin'

Can we start with a pair of underpants, tartan if you feel like it. A razor and for goodness sake new boots without the pointy toes.