Advice Needed On Home Theatre Systems

murni

Not sure if this is the correct forum but no doubt it will be moved if it is incorrect.

Both my husband and I cannot hear the dialougue when we are watching films we have downloaded because the background music is so loud ergo we miss the plot. If we buy a home theatre system will we be able to turn the music down? Would very much appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Highly unlikely, the standard "home theater" is basically a set of extra speakers and an amplifier. It is unlikely to allow you to "filter" the soundtrack above the normal bass tones etc.you would need a proper sound mixer to really make any distinguishable difference and even then it would depend on the quality of the recording.

Not sure if this is the correct forum but no doubt it will be moved if it is incorrect.

Both my husband and I cannot hear the dialougue when we are watching films we have downloaded because the background music is so loud ergo we miss the plot. If we buy a home theatre system will we be able to turn the music down? Would very much appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

What is your current set up?

You can try an add on equalizer to adjust the various frequencies but another possibility is many modern TV's have an equalizer built in to their set up adjustments or at least they have pre-loaded filters for the sound. Specifically a "voice" setting will help to enhance the vocal portion of the soundtrack. If your TV is set up with these equalizer options play around and see if you can help resolve your problem.

BuddhistVirus

We use a Apacer HD media player. Neither of us are clued up on the terchnical side of things hence my asking for advice.

Thank you B/B but have no idea if the TV has an equalizer (it is a flat screen Panasonic which is about 2/3 yrs old).

Are you outputting the left right ch of a 5.1 mix to a 2ch output device ?? Therefore missing the center channel which is often the dialogue mail ??

Or a small or not well matched center v huge surrounds ??

Or something in the volume equalization of the center in a 5.1 setup.

In a correct setup, even downmixed to 2ch, your going to be able to hear the dialogue, so somethings not right ??

With a 5.1 system you should be able to adjust the balance between the various speakers

and raise the level on the centre to make the dialogue clearer.

Just raising the treble level may help you.

I have the same problem, Anno Domini :bah: