Truck Driver Flees After Killing Three

Lite Beer

Another day and another runner

This will continue until the powers that be decide to seriously clamp down on it

IMO runners should be given mandatory jail time .... 1 2 3 years ...

It is especially sad and cowardly to run when the crash caused injuries and or

death, perhaps if the driver had stayed he could have save a life or helped an

injured person.

This driver is a huge coward and should pay a heavy price

Hate to break your bubble but they do penalize hit and run drivers in the States and Canada. Yet it keeps going on. And I suspect so in many other countries.

The big difference over here is that it is so rare it makes headlines.

In north America it happens so often it is not even news. Maybe in a buried article some place.

As for the driver being drunk. Well who knows. I know that when I fell asleep and had a accident there was a RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in the room with me and he told me they had just as many accidents from people falling asleep at the wheel as they did from drinking.

I learned my lesson don't drive with cruise control aircon and no music to listen to particularly on long stretches of road.

Drivers leaving scene if accident is exceedingly rare in US. Does happen occasionally and penalties are very stiff especially if injury involved. Usually, someone flees because they are wanted for something more serious.

Exceedingly rare!!!! then why can you Google hit and run accidents in USA and find loads of them?

Are you saying that because Americans mow down pedestrians or kill others in vehicles and then simply do a runner from the scene without a care in the world for the victims then it is perfectly O.K for Thais to do the same thing. Some on here have even said that he happens so frequently that it doesn't make the news (A sort of ho hum who cares just a hit & run a little like road kill) Some on here will defend the wrongs of some Thais with thier last dying breath. I am sure as the victims in Thailand lay dying watching the culprit run away don't use thier last breath to call out "It's OK I forgive you it happens in the U.S also."

I am not American bashing, simply responding to the attitude of a few individuals. Personally I think anyone who injures/kills another and runs away is scum whatever country they do it in and they would recieve the same condemnation. If this story was about the U.S or Australia would the supporters be saying it is OK it happens in Thailand also. Still doesn't make it right what ever twist you try and put on it.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soft George et al. Don't feel like quoting.

If someone smacks a pedestrian and flees in the US, man they get the book thrown at them. The couple of pedestrian strikes where drivers left the scene over the last year in NW Florida resulted in murder charges. I am sure the pleas the out to manslaughter or whatever, but they would still end up serving time for felony.

What you don't see in US, or at least I have never heard if it, is dudes driving trucks or large passenger vans and buses crashing, killing people and taking off. More importantly, victims are typically compensated when injured, and compensated particularly well if injured by a commercial vehicle.

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

In a third world country it makes sense to run from the scene of a bad accident if your own life is at threat from onlookers. I agree that those who do not report to a police station within a reasonable time limit (a couple of hours?) should be dealt with harshly.

I see many posts just complaining about how it is in Thailand. Yes Thais drive irresponsibly, flee after an accident, we know about money changing hands to cover up some problems, in many instances relating to victimless problems.

I have been in Thailand for some 8 years now, and amongst friends, we say..."this is the way it is here". Period. And we prefer it to our home country, in the western hemisphere.

There are many aspects of Thailand that we like, and of course many that we do not. But that is the way it is. We prefer the overall lifestyle. In Thailand we are even allowed to discuss what we do not like in the country.

Maybe some of the complainants could go reside in Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia, and complain publicly about the lifestyle and how women are treated for instance. Just to see if such complaints would jive as well as here with the local authorities.

Just a thought.

Wow. You are REALLY missing the point of this forum. You say that we are even allowed to discuss the issues here in Thailand in one breath, but in the next you suggest we should all move to Saudi Arabia, the land of very insecure12 year old boys pretending to be men? The whole point of this forum is it gives us a place to vent, and discuss our frustrations. We love living here too. You are not the only one who feels that way. The fact that we are discussing the issues in no way detracts from that. It is called democracy. It is called open minded people attempting to come to terms with life as they see it. I suggest growing a thicker skin, as it will benefit you for years to come.

• Like 1

Soft George et al. Don't feel like quoting.

If someone smacks a pedestrian and flees in the US, man they get the book thrown at them. The couple of pedestrian strikes where drivers left the scene over the last year in NW Florida resulted in murder charges. I am sure the pleas the out to manslaughter or whatever, but they would still end up serving time for felony.

What you don't see in US, or at least I have never heard if it, is dudes driving trucks or large passenger vans and buses crashing, killing people and taking off. More importantly, victims are typically compensated when injured, and compensated particularly well if injured by a commercial vehicle.

What you are describing is law and order. Something that barely exists in LOS. Basically, the degree to which law and order relates to you, is equivalent to the amount of cash you have on hand. Perhaps in another 10, 20, or 50 years Thailand may come to terms with the importance of enforcing the law, no matter who you are, or how much you have. But, for now that is simply not the case. The "toy police" will only penalize you, arrest you, or imprison you if you are broke.

I see many posts just complaining about how it is in Thailand. Yes Thais drive irresponsibly, flee after an accident, we know about money changing hands to cover up some problems, in many instances relating to victimless problems.

I have been in Thailand for some 8 years now, and amongst friends, we say..."this is the way it is here". Period. And we prefer it to our home country, in the western hemisphere.

There are many aspects of Thailand that we like, and of course many that we do not. But that is the way it is. We prefer the overall lifestyle. In Thailand we are even allowed to discuss what we do not like in the country.

Maybe some of the complainants could go reside in Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia, and complain publicly about the lifestyle and how women are treated for instance. Just to see if such complaints would jive as well as here with the local authorities.

Just a thought.

Well in the countries you mention women are second class citizens in the eyes of the law and religion and treated as such.

In Thailand fleeing the scene of an accident is a criminal offence so is an entirely different matter and anyone has a right to comment when the law is held in such blantant disregard.

Another day and another runner

This will continue until the powers that be decide to seriously clamp down on it

IMO runners should be given mandatory jail time .... 1 2 3 years ...

It is especially sad and cowardly to run when the crash caused injuries and or

death, perhaps if the driver had stayed he could have save a life or helped an

injured person.

This driver is a huge coward and should pay a heavy price

Drivers leaving scene if accident is exceedingly rare in US. Does happen occasionally and penalties are very stiff especially if injury involved. Usually, someone flees because they are wanted for something more serious.

Exceedingly rare!!!! then why can you Google hit and run accidents in USA and find loads of them?

Are you saying that because Americans mow down pedestrians or kill others in vehicles and then simply do a runner from the scene without a care in the world for the victims then it is perfectly O.K for Thais to do the same thing. Some on here have even said that he happens so frequently that it doesn't make the news (A sort of ho hum who cares just a hit & run a little like road kill) Some on here will defend the wrongs of some Thais with thier last dying breath. I am sure as the victims in Thailand lay dying watching the culprit run away don't use thier last breath to call out "It's OK I forgive you it happens in the U.S also."

I am not American bashing, simply responding to the attitude of a few individuals. Personally I think anyone who injures/kills another and runs away is scum whatever country they do it in and they would recieve the same condemnation. If this story was about the U.S or Australia would the supporters be saying it is OK it happens in Thailand also. Still doesn't make it right what ever twist you try and put on it.

I don't recall anybody saying it's O.K - which thread are you reading?

Curious as to why bystanders don't hold the drivers until "Police" arrive? Happens too often.

I can't make excuses for people fleeing the scene of an accident, but I have witnessed a few accidents and I have seen drivers beaten very badly by those around. They don't always just beat the guilty party either.

It seems that here in Thailand, fleeing the scene is the norm. At least if it is a serious accident.

Quite right. Also,provided you do actually report to police, fleeing the scene of an accident if you feel danger to your person is acceptable in law in most countries I believe.

Fatality Tracker: Semi-trailer truck driver kills bicyclist in Fuller Park, flees

Headlines from Chicago newspaper (Aug 7 2012) - 3 seconds search (if that) on Google. Time to get your head out of the sand.

Fatality Tracker: Semi-trailer truck driver kills bicyclist in Fuller Park, flees

Headlines from Chicago newspaper (Aug 7 2012) - 3 seconds search (if that) on Google. Time to get your head out of the sand.

Thai Bashers are very tunnel visioned.

Thai Bashers are very tunnel visioned.

A few weeks ago there were 3 fatal hit and runs in Sydney Aust in a 7 day period.

The driver of a semi-trailer transporting concrete columns flees the scene after running over 4 people and killing 3. Surely the owners of the truck must know who was driving the vehicle for them? Where he comes from and where he lives? He must be registered as a driver with the company? The police will no doubt visit his home and talk to his wife, mother,father,anybody? Just a few simple assumptions bearing in mind TIT. Drivers flee the scene because they know if they stick around they will be another casualty lying on the ground after the onlookers beat them to a pulp. A shame about the deaths.

Afaik, the truck company owners order the drivers to flee after such an accident, so the owner can work out further proceedings with the Bib.

The bigger truck companys alreay have 'standing' agreements with the police for daily irregularities like overloading, speeding etc. .

Linfox probably the biggest company operating in Thailand definately doesn't tell thier drivers to flee not does it have any agreements with the BIB. Thier drivers undergoe the same strict screening and training as thier aussie counterparts which includes drug and alcohol testing and thier vehicles undergo the same strict daily inspections.

I am a former truck driver, 30 years on the road. I'm happy to hear that high standards are being enforced at some companies, not nearly enough from what I have seen in seven years here. My wifes friend told me one day that " her brother has been driving truck for three years and would like to get a licence so that the company will pay him more"

Yikes!

Just a thought.

But you would not go that far to accept it as part of the "overall lifestyle" when hundreds of people every year flee the scene of an accident they caused,- would you?

They need to start teaching people how to drive and enforcing the rules of the road. Until the test cannot be circumvented with a bribe and the police start looking after the general welfare of people and not their daily take things are not going to change.

Haha, I don't say it never happens anywhere in US. Bicycle is pedestrian and I agree those are subject to more hit and runs. I base my opinions on life experience and not Google. Again, in the states where my firm represents commercial carrier as TIDA counsel, I cannot recall hit and run commercial accident. Possibly they occur and are settled before litigation, but we are usually called out to scene even before wreck is cleared if wreck is bad or involves a death.

Edited by ttelise

They need to start teaching people how to drive and enforcing the rules of the road. Until the test cannot be circumvented with a bribe and the police start looking after the general welfare of people and not their daily take things are not going to change.

Before things change two things need to happen. 1. The law has to be enforced. 2. People have to obey the law, whether it is enforced or not. Until these two things happen, nothing is going to change.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Before things change two things need to happen. 1. The law has to be enforced. 2. People have to obey the law, whether it is enforced or not. Until these two things happen, nothing is going to change.

For the most part traffic laws are just common sense. not much of that in thailand when it comes to driving

For the most part traffic laws are just common sense. not much of that in thailand when it comes to driving

Too true.

Just a thought.

This was the most stupid comment today. On any subject.

Just a thought.

This was the most stupid comment today. On any subject.

I assume you're referring to your own comment - why bother including someone else's post?

I used to think, when I read about these truck incidents and their "companies", that there was some sort of organization and professionalism behind these trucks and the routes they would travel.

It was only until I began using highway 36 in the evenings (where it begins or ends at Sukhumvit, North of Pattaya and on up to the highway 7 interchange) that I was shocked and alarmed at the number and condition of the trucks barreling along at high speed, or poking along at barely 20 KPH).

These trucks, at least 80 percent of them:

- have no lights in their rear, making them virtually black square objects in your windscreen

- Turn out into traffic without any provocation and block the road

- Appear to be models and makes from 10 to 20 years ago

- Appear in the worst, ram-shackled condition

- Drive in the left lane, the right lane, on the shoulder, and straddle the lane, or let one side skim the white line.

- In a rainfall they become invisible, blacker objects in your windscreen

- May be stopped or moving slowly or changing lanes without any way to tell until you creep up on them to know

I have yet to travel this 15 or so kilometer stretch without seeing at least two or three blown out tire belts on the freeway lane

The trucks are beating the crap out of the roads and the unfortunate thing is they are increasing in numbers, as Thailand relies solely on trucking to deliver sustainable goods to people.

The only thing I can think of is to drive carefully and stay alert, especially in the dark and very much so when it is dark and raining, because you won't know you're coming up on a truck until its suddenly in your face.

--------------------------

I think the thing people will realize swiftly, if they press too hard on the trucking industry, is how much Thailand relies on them when the truckers go on strike.

Rather than hate these guys, I believe the government should extend every effort to upgrade the trucks and train drivers in the field of operating them.

The only point I see here, and it is not mentioned, is that we need these trucks to deliver the goods, but the politicians are ignoring this, and the conditions of this lifeline are getting worse.

it is not the driver's responsibility to upgrade the truck, and I guess I can understand that getting a job as a truck driver here is about the same as back in the 1910's in the USA; crappy vehicles with no power steering, crappy road conditions and fierce competition for your job.

Don't hate 'em; help 'em. We need the goods, and this is the only way of getting the goods to where they need to go.

Regarding the hit and run, I am angry that he pulled a runner, but I can understand why he would.

Most Run because they have no licence no insurance and are Illegal workers. They get about 300baht a day, and there is no legislation about working times or rest periods. I helped the mother Inlaw last year at the local hospital where she works in Sahmut Prakan. with a Simular thing , a heavy vehicle ran into the back of a bus that was returning Burmese night workers from the factory at 6 in the Morning. The bus was over turned and the end result was 16 deaths, I felt for the survivors, some had amputations of legs arms some both, they where patched up and put out. how must that feel, returning from a hard nights work for little pay, being involved in a major accident, and through no fault of your own you lose a limb,and you don't have money for hospital bills or insurance, so you get taken to a local government hospital and they do the best they can . That Driver was never found. they use false ID cards.