Pheu Thai Lines Up 70 M.P.S For Debate On Budget

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai lines up 70 MPs for debate on budget

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Seventy Pheu Thai Party MPs will be defending the government during the upcoming House debate on the government's budget, Pheu Thai Party spokesperson Jirayu Huangsap said yesterday.

Preparations for the debate, scheduled for three days from Wednesday to Friday, will be discussed by the Pheu Thai Party on Tuesday. The party's strategic committee will allow ample time for its 70 selected MPs to defend the government's budget. The MPs will also be divided into three groups comprising about five MPs each to be overseen by three persons, including Jirayu. The other two are Paijit Sriworakan, Nakhon Phanom MP for the party, and

Sunai Chulapongsatorn, a party-list MP.

The three will take turns to be on duty in Parliament, said Jirayu, to monitor and protest if necessary and to ensure that Opposition MPs do not raise related issues such as that of ousted and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra. Opposition Democrat Party MP for Trang province Satit Wongnongtoey, meanwhile, said the party would concentrate the attacks on three issues:

_ The government's rice-price guarantee scheme and the fund established to aid the task;

_ the government's failure to manage its budget to shore up prices of various agricultural produces and keep prices of basic commodities from spiralling;

_ nepotism and irregularity in the allocation of some of the budget money such as the Bt900 million given to the Office of Secretary to the Prime Minister, which contains no details on how it will be spent.

"The party is ready for the debate and believes the three days allocated would suffice," said Sathit. "About 100 [MPs] will address the House. As for the Pheu Thai spokesperson urging the Opposition to stick to the topic, the government should not be too cowardly. It should remain alert. The Democrats will stick to the topic of the debate."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-12

Strange, no mention of the Yingluck. What happens if she decides to go to Chiang Mai to visit the flood victims again during this question and answer period? Is there anything that can be done to guarantee that she shows and answers questions? Like a subpoena or a legal writ of somchai or something, anything?

The three will take turns to be on duty in Parliament, said Jirayu, to monitor and protest if necessary and to ensure that Opposition MPs do not raise related issues such as that of ousted and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

"do not raise related issues such as that of"

Probably sloppy work from theNation, or is raising 'related' issues a no-no in this government? The PM will be at hand I assume, the PM's Office has a budget if I remember correctly

the debate, scheduled for three days from Wednesday to Friday

Another topic seems to indicate that our PM will not be present during this totally unimportant debat on the upcoming year Nation Budget. She has more important things to do

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will inspect the Royal Thai Army's canal-dredging activities in Bangkok on Wednesday through Friday, Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Jirayu Huangsap said yesterday, adding that this week will also see Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadi announce the progress of the government's flood-prevention preparations."

http://www.thaivisa....ention-efforts/

nepotism and irregularity in the allocation of some of the budget money such as the Bt900 million given to the Office of Secretary to the Prime Minister, which contains no details on how it will be spent.

Hmmm is this budget allocation required to compensate the PM for her share of Thaksins confiscated funds

Edited by waza

strategic committee

When I see the above in connection to Thai politics a mental image of the Mad Hatter's tea party comes to mind.

All together now

Edited by mca

Apologies, but every time I think of the current Thai Government, I get this impression of a mass of people drifting like a cloud. No aims, just drifting. No clear picture of how they intend to perform their role as Government.

I found the following which shows a contrast with the previous Government. Obviously TIT, but at least this exists.

"

The Prime Minister (Abhisit) also gave nine principles as guidelines for Cabinet members to follow at the first Cabinet meeting of his administration on 23 December 2008...........

In the fifth principle, all Cabinet members must attend parliamentary sessions regularly. They were told that every Thursday, at 1:30 p.m., they might be asked to answer impromptu queries at a parliamentary session, so they should not miss this session, if at all possible.

In the sixth principle, since all ministers are regarded as public figures, especially in the face of economic difficulties and social conflicts, all ministers should care about the people’s feelings and views. They must be careful not to do anything that may damage public faith and their credibility.

"

Obviously there are additional principles, which taken together show a SERIOUS method of Governing.

Reading them, you wonder - but that's obvious, so why put it in writing? Then you look at the present Government and perhaps think - oh, thats why.

When a Government has a leader more interested in photo-opportunities than her RESPONSIBILITIES as PM, you have to wonder about Thailand's future.

You may want to look at their record of not forming a quorum in parliament. He is good at talking though...................

Apologies, but every time I think of the current Thai Government, I get this impression of a mass of people drifting like a cloud. No aims, just drifting. No clear picture of how they intend to perform their role as Government.

I found the following which shows a contrast with the previous Government. Obviously TIT, but at least this exists.

"

The Prime Minister (Abhisit) also gave nine principles as guidelines for Cabinet members to follow at the first Cabinet meeting of his administration on 23 December 2008...........

In the fifth principle, all Cabinet members must attend parliamentary sessions regularly. They were told that every Thursday, at 1:30 p.m., they might be asked to answer impromptu queries at a parliamentary session, so they should not miss this session, if at all possible.

In the sixth principle, since all ministers are regarded as public figures, especially in the face of economic difficulties and social conflicts, all ministers should care about the people’s feelings and views. They must be careful not to do anything that may damage public faith and their credibility.

"

Obviously there are additional principles, which taken together show a SERIOUS method of Governing.

Reading them, you wonder - but that's obvious, so why put it in writing? Then you look at the present Government and perhaps think - oh, thats why.

When a Government has a leader more interested in photo-opportunities than her RESPONSIBILITIES as PM, you have to wonder about Thailand's future.

You may want to look at their record of not forming a quorum in parliament. He is good at talking though...................

... so it's perfectly fine for Yingluck's administration to operate like this.

• Like 1

"

"

More than one can say about PM Yingluck.

"

"

Maybe you should try reading the article. It had nothing to do with a quorum. It was for the Cabinet ministers. Nice try as usual and as usual misguided.

"

"

The point of my post was to indicate that the previous Government were serious enough about their responsibilities to produce documented principles. Whether they were adhered to or not is another matter (my TIT comment was meant to infer that)

People are being accused of breaking the law. Included in that group are MPs using immunity as a means of avoiding criminal

charges. Not a very impressive way to govern, but fits into my vision of unruly children running around the sweet shop.

Is it this Government that wants to remove what they see as 'judicial control' of their actions?

Now, where's that mandate?