Dtac Aircard With Gnu/Linux - Yes

JSixpack

I bought a new Dtac Aircard recently, and this post from a couple years ago saved me a lot of time in getting it working under Lubuntu:

I did the first DNS config and it worked fine after I rebooted, so I don't know if it is really necessary any longer.

It would be good to have a list of other aircards commonly sold in Thailand that are known to work w/ Linux. The instructions in the above post may well be good for others.

OK that is the one that I have also with the virtual sr0 that pop's up - had a problem with no way to select the chap auth. With all the effort in the past the ref post I don't recall - seems there is a way to get MSchapv2 so I might put a new effort on the work list. That is if you got it to work laugh.png how about Jsixpack which aircard did you have working.

OK that is the one that I have also with the virtual sr0 that pop's up - had a problem with no way to select the chap auth. With all the effort in the past the ref post I don't recall - seems there is a way to get MSchapv2 so I might put a new effort on the work list. That is if you got it to work laugh.png how about Jsixpack which aircard did you have working.

post-27441-0-19114400-1344770471_thumb.p

post-27441-0-53131100-1344770507_thumb.p

post-27441-0-94408300-1344770532_thumb.p

post-27441-0-57964400-1344770603_thumb.p

As stated with the following uname -a information on a Linux Mint 10 install it just works with the NetworkManager. This is my travel laptop so it just needs to work...

Linux daveboo-UL80VT 2.6.38.3-first #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 23 20:59:32 AST 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

OMG PClinuxOS has been updated - I just for the first time did a complete click click plug and play with this aircard (Speedy dtac) which is an MF190 by ZTE. Step one when you plug it in is just eject the sr0 that pops up like in the past and then bang networkmanager is completely set up and good to go - no setup required at all it was defalt and provided in network manager. That was not the case just a few weeks ago that is for sure. Happy days are here again.

PS I post this from the set upclap2.gif

Edited by RKASA

If the which model are you using question was directed at me, here's the one: http://www.dtac.co.t...d/speedy190.php

Mine's the same model. I set it up in Network Manager following the post I referenced. It wasn't plug-n-play in Lubuntu.

Used it extensively the last few days, no problems at all!

A few months ago I could not make it work at all and I spend hours - this was easy. I have updated my system a few times but didn't recall seeing any of the files related to the problem in the update. I must have missed it. At any rate it works great now.

If you are getting a virtual CD coming up on /dev/sr0 then it sounds like the device is still in "installer" mode - and in most cases they won't work as modems in that mode even if you send them the right commands. It's a little confusing since you can send them commands via the command port and they seem to respond, but won't actually connect.

The problem is that the command used to turn off the virtual CD mode is different depending on the manufacturer - for example, ZTE modems use "AT+ZCDRUN=8" and Huawei ones use "AT^U2DIAG=0" - you might also check to see if you have usb_modeswitch installed and if it knows the USB VID:PID of your device.

If you are getting a virtual CD coming up on /dev/sr0 then it sounds like the device is still in "installer" mode - and in most cases they won't work as modems in that mode even if you send them the right commands. It's a little confusing since you can send them commands via the command port and they seem to respond, but won't actually connect.

The problem is that the command used to turn off the virtual CD mode is different depending on the manufacturer - for example, ZTE modems use "AT+ZCDRUN=8" and Huawei ones use "AT^U2DIAG=0" - you might also check to see if you have usb_modeswitch installed and if it knows the USB VID:PID of your device.

Yea I went trough all that in the past and had modeswitch etc I even tried several hacks and if it did connect it had no data - but something has changed because I don't have to do anything now - It turns out I don't have to unmount the sr0 ether it is being disregarded and the network manager just works plug and play - love it.

The only problem I see now is it defaults to ISP DNS and changes the eth0 DNS and overwrites it so after using the aircard I have to reset the DNS and I can't select my DNS when using the aircard it just won't do anything but re write the dns to get it from the ISP small price to pay at this point. The GUI for config in network manager for the aircard is missing almost everything normally seen in setting up a connection and using it changes some of that but can be fixed from the GUI vary fast after use of the aircard.