Boxer Kaew Wins Thai Hearts As The Country Is Outraged After He Is Denied Olympic Gold

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunch of Bad losers here, nothing about British influence. I saw the fight he lost 13-10,take away the 2 points the referee penalised him he still lost , And with regard to the 3rd round , Who was close enough to see the points scoring from Thai Visa. ? No one!!

Congrats to Kaew, it's still a fanstastic achievement to do what he did. Boxing's notorious for some of the most outrageous moments in Olympic history, for judging and bad behaviour.

I still find this remarkable... http://www.youtube.c...?v=mO_Aspbv0fw. Koreans do have a tendency to go mental from time to time!

Regarding the ceremonies, I loved the opening and was really proud to be British that day and all through the record medal haul. The pantheon of music greats and nice little touches were well handled by Danny Boyle, as you'd expect them to be and were things that could have only come from a British mind and humour. If you don't get parts of it, we don't really care. We get it and that's all that matters to us. Rowan Atkinson as Bean was thoroughly entertaining as ever and to get the Queen to appear as an actress for the first time in history has to be the cinematic coup of the century.

I have to admit the closing ceremony wasn't very good. The Spice Girls were annoying at the height of their fame, let alone in their post-fame obscurity, it just smacked of desperation. There was one massive plus in Ray Davies performing "Waterloo Suset". I loved that. I wish I had swtiched off after that as most of it was quite cringeworthy, but hey we'd already done the job and did what everyone thought was impossible, we managed to follow up Beijing, where many people said it couldn't be done. China may have been jaw-dropping in its scale and immensity, but they don't even come close to our wealth of film, musical, literary, industrial figures, present and throughout history. British culture is one of the most far-reaching on the planet and it makes me really proud that people from all over the world love our icons. It's just a tiny rock in the North Atlantic, with crappy weather and bland food!

Edited by ManInSurat

I have been extremely disappointed with the magnitude of " sore loser " antics displayed by the Thais after Kaew was beaten by the Chinese guy. Some of it has been down right disgusting. Definatley not in the spirit of the Olympic games.

Their " sore loser " complaints should be aimed at the judging of the bouts, which has been questionable not just in this case, but has been controversial at Olympic level for as long as I remember.

You win some and lose some. That's life.

Good point but to add a bit: it's life in Thailand. Kaew got a taste of a farangs life in Thailand.

Kaew should not have acted as such. Corruption is a way of life in Thailand. He should should have a thick skin on that topic.

• Like 2

Dude got robbed, but I hate to say that judging was better than closing ceremony. Just something about British humor and British entertainment. I guess you got to be

British to get it.

Spice Girls ?? <deleted> ???

• Like 1

There is only one way to win at Boxing. You knock the other guy senseless on the floor. If you cant punch your weight dont bother.

Mincing about jabbing for points and powder puff show boating gets you nowhere and it is well documented that these Olympics have already had boxing judges and refs bribed months ago by different crack pot governments.

If a "sport" is subjective and needs judges to find a winner for me its not a Sport but a pastime...i.e. Bodybuilding, rythmic gymnastics and that bloody stupid underwater dancing crap. Diving is the same and they dont even get to see replays in slow motion of a dive that takes macro seconds to decide on. Blink and you miss it....then guess if it was better than the last guy - give me a break !!

Sport for me is about results against the clock, goals, distance, time etc. Not someone thinking this guy is better than that guy at doing something. But now we have drugs and gender problems thrown in the ring to just confuse the issue....

Win or lose, you never act like that after the results are announced

Very poor loser

Not sure what is worse for Thai image

1- This boxer and his crying and actions on TV

2- Or some lady saying she is going to buy a fake rolex

When I was a schoolboy I belonged to a London boxing club and we had regular competitions against rival clubs. If any of us showed dissent at the result we would be excluded from the next tournament. The good reputation of the club was paramount. I sympathise with Kaew for not getting the gold medal he so thoroughly deserved but you have to show good grace, no matter what the result.

Win or lose, you never act like that after the results are announced

Very poor loser

Not sure what is worse for Thai image

1- This boxer and his crying and actions on TV

2- Or some lady saying she is going to buy a fake rolex

nothing bad about this for thai image, the crowd were completely with him, they knew who really won as do most people and boxing analysts alike.

nothing wrong with showing your upset that you were completely shafted for a gold medal in the olympics, no shame in it at all.

the only shame falls on the judges.

I beg to differ, when foreigners get upset (even with good reason) the Thais get very uncomfortable; I have been told time and time and time again; NEVER show you are upset, even if you know you are right. The Thais just don't like it and don't accept it. Nothing will be done in your favor acting like this; period.

But here they are crying like little babies, like a "farang" who was told the tuk tuk would be 30 baht, but then the driver demands 100 baht.

Practice what you preach, Thailandsad.png

+1 wai.gif

jb1

• Like 2

A close fight. different tactics, and again the subjectiveness of judgment all played into the decision.. The British would have preferred the Stiff upper lip as the insertion of agony began...Unless, it is a knock out, no questions asked.

The Thai fighter proved himself in the ring...Outside, that is the debate. The Thai media and hopefully the Thai power supporters will take care of the fighter as he demonstrated his abilities.. He did well, he took second... He boxed.. the other, went out and won the fight, using the parameters of his knowledge and pushing the envelop of the rules... SAD.. but it happens..

OK..now.. let's move on...Can the Thais reconcile?

Kudos to Kaoe on a good run at the games..

I did not see the bout, but did the Thais lodge an appeal, as the Italians did in the Super heavyweight final? Apparently they then get in 3 different judges to view and score the whole fight again. If the decision was blatantly wrong then it could have been overturned.

Dude got robbed, but I hate to say that judging was better than closing ceremony. Just something about British humor and British entertainment. I guess you got to be

British to get it.

Well they wrote the language and THEY CAN LAUGH at themselves unlike so many others. AND, I am not a 'pom'

I did watch the fight and the Thai threw out quite a few haymakers in the course of it. I am not stating who should have got the gold.

I did not see the bout, but did the Thais lodge an appeal, as the Italians did in the Super heavyweight final? Apparently they then get in 3 different judges to view and score the whole fight again. If the decision was blatantly wrong then it could have been overturned.

Evidently the Thai's coach was so busy having histrionic fits, he failed to lodge an appeal within the five minute time frame allowed.

• Like 2

I understand that they did appeal but it was outside the time allowed for doing so.

if anyone didn't see it, here is it is...I thought the Thai fighter won. The worst part was the ref's ridiculous point addition for the Thai fighter's holding...Clearly they were both hanging on, and if anything, it should of been the Chinese fighter with a 2nd penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um6vgRdWf8Q&feature=player_embedded#t=237s

Kaew won there is no question a complete mockery and injustice. It was also worth 50 million baht to him to win, I think I would go down on the canvas distraught If I had that kind of money dangled in-front of me then taking away by incompetent judges.

Apparently Toyota are giving him a new truck as runner up, not much to look forward to there then!

The judges were not incompetent. They were crooked. Really a disgrace.

• Like 1

To eliminate the judges and refree opinion/influence of competative sports, requires a overwhelming black is black victory. As mentioned, no one said life had to be fair, suck it up and do better next time.

If the Kaew did his best, as mother said, he can be as proud as she is. All things can be a learning experience, if viewed from the 'do better next time' attitude.

The man is 32 doubt there will be a next time for him. Yea life is not fair but that does not mean you have to suck it up. It is OK to be mad as hell.
  • Like 1

I understand that they did appeal but it was outside the time allowed for doing so.

Not surprising. Too busy acting out like a bunch of big babies to do the one rational thing with any chance of fixing the problem.
  • Like 1

British to get it.

No, I am British and I didnt get it, after about an hour I did get it, getting out of my chair to go to my bedroom to watch another program. My Thai wife watched it to the end but was bored with too much music, I agree it just went on and on and on... Too much of a good thing, not really too much of the same. The lowlight of the games for me.

Re the Thai boxer, he had every right to be disappointed and the poster who said just focus on the positive of gaining the silver and any disappointment detracts from the glory of the siver medal. Rubbish! The man was cheated and he, the crowd in attendance, the Television viewers all showed their disappointment and quite right to. This lets these useless officials know what they are thought of and maybe it will prevent a future rightful winner be cheated out of the glory of winning.

• Like 1