Marriage Visa

With proof of marriage she can obtain a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate and with such an entry into Thailand stay can be extended yearly to match your retirement extension as dependent. Marriage certificate will have to be translated/verified by your Embassy and then registered with MFA to legalize and recorded at a District Office for the extension of stay process I believe.

If you have a 12 month extension based on retirement she can get the same as your dependent.

I have heard that immigration won't issue her a visa since there is such a great age difference. Are

you aware if this is true?

If you have a 12 month extension based on retirement she can get the same as your dependent.

I have heard that immigration won't issue her a visa since there is such a great age difference. Are

you aware if this is true?

If you are legally married then there is no reason for immigration to refuse her.

If OP got married in his wife's home country there is no reason to register the marriage with the Thai government.

If the marriage certificate is not in Thai or English it would have to be translated to Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That is all that immigration should require.

Immigration may want proof that the marriage legitimate and that the OP and his wife are living together as husband and wife.

I recall a recent post where photos of the applicant and wife (Vietnamese) together in the house and in front with the house number showing.

Edited by ubonjoe

If OP got married in his wife's home country there is no reason to register the marriage with the Thai government.

If the marriage certificate is not in Thai or English it would have to be translated to Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That is all that immigration should require.

Immigration may want proof that the marriage legitimate and that the OP and his wife are living together as husband and wife.

I recall a recent post where photos of the applicant and wife (Vietnamese) together in the house and in front with the house number showing.

to get an extension they will have to prove the marriage this is why I said, "Get the marriage registered in Thailand" you don't just go to the MFA you need to go to the Amphur as well.

to get an extension they will have to prove the marriage this is why I said, "Get the marriage registered in Thailand" you don't just go to the MFA you need to go to the Amphur as well.

I think you are incorrect.

His marriage is no different than the hundreds of others that are accepted for dependent extensions. All that is needed is the marriage certificate.

Edit: The MFA will certify the translation. This is a requirement for any non English marriage certificate.

Edited by ubonjoe

copied from this post

http://www.thaivisa....nd#entry5356809

Comment by Mario post 2

Normally the procedure is as follows: You need to go to your embassy and have the marriage certificate certified as true. Next you have it transalted by a transaltion agency into Thai. When that is done, the documents and translation need to be certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry, Consular Department. When that is all done, you can go to any amphur in Thailand to have the marriage recorded in Thailand. Yes, it is easier to do that in an area where they are used to Foreign marriages, instead of a small place.

In case of the US embassy other rules may apply because of US federal law. So contact hem if they can legalise the document.

It might be possible to do the legalisation in the US, with the Thai embassy certifying the wedding certificate. Contact the Thai embassy or a Thai General Consulate about this.

My comment - Maybe this might be the case if one of the persons is Thai.

Edited by beano2274