Started The Driver'S License Process

FredLee

Finally getting settled in a little here in Chiang Mai. Trying to get everything together for my driver's license. I went yesterday and got the medical certificate at the Theppanya Hospital. It only took about 30 minutes, and cost 60 baht. Would not have taken as long but I got there right before 5 pm on a Sunday, when most of the staff were taking off. Going Wednesday to immigration to see if I can get my residency certificate. I am currently on a non immigration O visa, and will get that changed to marriage visa in two months, once the money in the bank has "aged".

Immigration will do a Residency letter for 500 Bt out back in the Investigators Office. Was FREE in HKT on production of lease docs.

If you have an IDP from your 'home country', the DL process is simple and Hang Dong staff very efficient!

you won't go thru any testing process except color blind test and reaction time test. Even my thai wife with a California DL only had to do those two things.

You will need a page printed out from your state DMV stating what classification your DL is good for - ie motorcycle, regular car or truck , etc...

Mission accomplished. Got the residence certificate yesterday with no problem. Had all the documents and copies. Filled out the form in 10 minutes, and they told me to return at 3:30. Came back at 3:15 and it was ready. Went to the Hang Don license center. My US license also had the motorcycle endorsement, so I was able to get the car and motorcycle licenses. No test other than the color blind test and reaction time test. Finished in less than 40 minutes. I was apprehensive about the process, but all concerned were very efficient.

Congrats! Remember you will do the whole process again around your birthday next year. But that time it will be for five years

Mission accomplished. Got the residence certificate yesterday with no problem. Had all the documents and copies. Filled out the form in 10 minutes, and they told me to return at 3:30. Came back at 3:15 and it was ready. Went to the Hang Don license center. My US license also had the motorcycle endorsement, so I was able to get the car and motorcycle licenses. No test other than the color blind test and reaction time test. Finished in less than 40 minutes. I was apprehensive about the process, but all concerned were very efficient.

Well done. :)

NB: In Phuket they require an IDP/IDD to process a d/l, otherwise one must sit the computer exam. CM Hang Dong is way more efficient and staff very courteous compared to HKT.