Phuket Zoo 500% Skin Tax!

phuketjock

I have recently had a visit from my Dutch ( 4 ) and Scottish ( 2 ) relatives and they wanted to see the zoo in Phuket. so having never been there myself my Thai wife and myself decided to go with them.making 8 of us all together. I have lived in Thailand long enough to know that, although I think it is wrong, skin tax does exist but I have only seen a difference of 20/30 Baht preference or at most 50% discount given to Thai nationals. The entrance fee to the zoo for my relatives and myself was 500 Baht each which, having now seen the zoo, is a bit of a rip-off to be honest, but that is by the way.

You can only imagine the astonishment and eventual anger when I discovered that the entrance fee for my Thai wife was 100 Baht yes 100 Baht or 400 Baht less than my visiting relatives who, along with myself, were understandably quite disgusted.

As I have said I have lived in Thailand for many years and as I love the place I have no intention of moving for the rest of my life but it surely saddens me to see the unthinking damage that some greedy Thais are imposing on their tourist based economy. They are doing untold damage to the livelihood of their own people.

In my experience Phuket Zoo charges the Thai national price also to expats living here and able to prove that with DL or workpermit.

So IMO not a skintax but discount for locals, expats and Thais.

Yes, it is a rip-off and not only because of the dual price. The animals are kept in poor conditions and I always recommend that folks not patronise this so called zoo. That's always been my view for these many years.

Yes, agree about the conditions, disgusting.

• Like 2

That tiger is drugged all day for nice tourists to take pictures next to.

Avoid that place like the plague. Never been there and never will.

I made the mistake of going once with my children. What a mistake that was. They tried to charge me an extra 200 baht for the taxi that brought us, but I drove my own car.

This place is a poor example for a zoo. Avoid it.

• Like 2

The zoo is a total disgrace. I tell anyone here, at the resort that I work, NOT to go there. Btw, on-topic, even with my workpermit, social sec. card etc, they charged me farang price, my wife thai price. That was a few years ago when she still had to pay 80 baht... Same at many venues, for example the Royal Palace in BKK. I nowadays refuse to go to any place that tries to pull this trick. Discrimination based on color, not spending power....

• Like 2

In my experience Phuket Zoo charges the Thai national price also to expats living here and able to prove that with DL or workpermit.

So you are Ok with charging someone who lives in Thailand and supports the local community but does not drive or work here 5 times more than the price for someone who does drive or work here??? You are as bad as the perpetrators of this gross discrimination.

So you are Ok with charging someone who lives in Thailand and supports the local community but does not drive or work here 5 times more than the price for someone who does drive or work here??? You are as bad as the perpetrators of this gross discrimination.

Well, if you don't have any form of ID to prove you live here, what else can they do? Worldwide there are schemes where locals pay less, but you have to prove you're a local.

Well, if you don't have any form of ID to prove you live here, what else can they do? Worldwide there are schemes where locals pay less, but you have to prove you're a local.

" What else can they do? " They can charge everyone the same price, there's a novel idea for you Steve. So now you are saying if it happens somewhere else in the world as you say, which has in fact not been my experience, it is OK to happen here? I am afraid you have completely missed the point of my post which is that double pricing is wrong wherever it occurs full stop.

For your information I have worked and lived in ( not just visited ) Scotland, England, Malaysia, China, Thailand, Chile, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Mauritania and France and have yet to come across anything like the degree of double pricing I have experienced here in Thailand.

" What else can they do? " They can charge everyone the same price, there's a novel idea for you Steve. So now you are saying if it happens somewhere else in the world as you say, which has in fact not been my experience, it is OK to happen here? I am afraid you have completely missed the point of my post which is that double pricing is wrong wherever it occurs full stop.

For your information I have worked and lived in ( not just visited ) Scotland, England, Malaysia, China, Thailand, Chile, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Mauritania and France and have yet to come across anything like the degree of double pricing I have experienced here in Thailand.

<p><span lang="EN">In the US it’s quite common. Locals in Orlando FL, will receive discounts at Disney World, and most states will charge a premium for out of state college tuition. Even the gas station in my home town offered discounts for locals, as it was a big tourist t

In the US it’s quite common. Locals in Orlando FL, will receive discounts at Disney World, and most states will charge a premium for out of state college tuition. Even the gas station in my home town offered discounts for locals, as it was a big tourist town. When I was in China, I was charged a Farang fee on some occasions, but not all, much like everywhere.

Sorry, but whinging about it on this forum won't change things. You can get a Thai Drivers License or choose not to go to attractions that double the price for non Thais. The theory on the dual pricing I have heard is that most Thais don't make nearly as much as a foreign tourist. While I agree that's true, is still doesn't seem right. But then again in California, there is a locals price for Disneyland and other attractions as well as colleges and universities. So it's not limited to Thailand.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

If you think Phuket zoo is a disgrace try visiting the free zoo on the way to Phang Nga, this will make you sick!!

Where and whats the name of it?

Don't know it's name, it is on the right hand side on the way to Phang Nga, it is easy to miss, when we stopped there it was disgusting, otters bathing in there excrement filled water, croc with one leg missing looking in a very bad state, other animals also in very poor conditions. Vey sad!!

This was over a year ago so things could have improved.

Edited by kawapower

The theory on the dual pricing I have heard is that most Thais don't make nearly as much as a foreign tourist. While I agree that's true, is still doesn't seem right.

How much does the driver of the mercedes in front or behind you have to pay....?

Edited by evadgib

The theory on the dual pricing I have heard is that most Thais don't make nearly as much as a foreign tourist. While I agree that's true, is still doesn't seem right.

How much does the driver of the mercedes in front or behind you have to pay....?

Come on, what percentage of Thais have a Mercedes? If you're a tourist you'll pay more than a local in many places in the world. As said before, get yourself a Thai DL or don't go if you have such a hard time with paying more.

Really of no interest whatsoever. Locals pay less, non locals more. Happens here, happens everywhere. Whining about it here on the forum because not being able to prove residency makes no sense and claiming it does not happen anywhere else is simply stupid.

double pricing is wrong wherever it occurs full stop.

Bullscheiße. Dual pricing endeavours to address inequalities. Farmers and fishermen the world over pay less for gas/diesel than the general population - haves subsidise have nots in all manner of commerce.

Just had a business idea that we sell at the airports in arrivals.... T-shirts that say in Thai "I DON'T DO DOUBLE PRICING" lol

Works for me, provided you charge Thais double for the t-shirt.

• Like 1

Really of no interest whatsoever. Locals pay less, non locals more. Happens here, happens everywhere. Whining about it here on the forum because not being able to prove residency makes no sense and claiming it does not happen anywhere else is simply stupid.

I thought that was what this forum was all about winging and whining or where to buy the best burger ect or if you don't like it, you know what to do, type answers.

Forget about Thai license ,work permit rubbish.This a tourist resort.

How do you think a group of tourist would take this if they saw they were paying 4 times more for the same venue?

Same as the OP's tourist friends.Not too happy.

I thought that was what this forum was all about winging and whining or where to buy the best burger ect or if you don't like it, you know what to do, type answers.

Forget about Thai license ,work permit rubbish.This a tourist resort.

How do you think a group of tourist would take this if they saw they were paying 4 times more for the same venue?

Same as the OP's tourist friends.Not too happy.

At last someone who actually grasps the purpose of my post.

Thank you Starkeyclap2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Went once what a filthy disgusting place, I also made the mistake of visiting Chiangmai zoo, a little better but not much have to get a 'bus' around the attractions, plus the usual discriminatory entrance fee.

Entrance Fee

Foreigners - Adult: 100 Baht, Child (less than 135 cm in height):

50 Baht

Thais - Adult: 50 Baht,

Teacher, soldier, policeman (in uniform): 30 Baht,

Child (less than 135 cm.): 10 Baht,

Senior citizen, people with disability, and monk: Free of charge

Interesting thing here is that I saw a disabled falang being charged an entry fee!

Makes me want to vomit sick.gif

I hope their tourist industry collapses.