Warrant From Unpaid Hotel Bill?

Unfortunately my first trip to Thailand has not been as pleasurable as I had hoped. I trusted the wrong person, and have had a very difficult time as a result. I am planning on leaving Thailand in the next few weeks and I am concerned that an unpaid hotel bill that I had when I ran out of money almost 2 years ago, may come back to haunt me.

I stayed at that hotel in Pattaya for over a month before I ran out of money. The entire bill was paid except for the last day. When the last day came, I had no cash and no where to go. I simply left my clothes and some personal possessions in the room. (the items had basicly no value) I also had the key with the air conditioner sensor still in my pocket when I left. Hotel rate was 700 baht per day.

What are the chances that there is an actual police record of this? I have heard that Thai police do not file charges unless they are paid to do so. Should I be concerned that this incident will cause me a problem when I pay my overstay and try to leave the country?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably nothing, but why not do the honorable thing, and either go pay the 700 Baht (make it 1K) in person, or call them up if they're not close, to get their bank account details. You can deposit directly into their account from any bank of the same group.

Thank you, I will do that.

Just a little side note. I have been very concerned about this issue over the last few weeks as I prepare to leave Thailand. I contacted a company that deals with visa overstays and told them about this issue. I insisted that they do a warrant check for me to ensure that this will not be an issue. A few days later they called me back and told me that the warrant check came back with my name being on the "watchlist". He told me that it would cost me 100,000 baht to have the officier remove my name from the "watchlist".

My feeling is that the visa company is just trying to extort money from me because I requested a warrant check. They could not even give me any specific information when I asked them exactly why I was on the "watchlist". Is there even such a thing as a "watchlist"?

Believe hotels have the option of notifying immigration and you can be denied leaving the country without paying first.

Yes, there is a watch list.

Contact the hotel first and make an arrangement with them. Besides the room rent they lost a keycard.

-Clear with the hotel and please can you say what visa company acting like thievs,100k what a-holes. you are on overstay.hmm this can get you in deep shit,if you go to the hotel and clear ok,but if you are on the watch list and if they will maybe call Immigrtaion and get you off that list so its ok, now then for sure immigration will put your name on the data base and will se that you are on overstay and there will be officers there to grab you in 5 mnutes and you get in monkeyhouse and deported.I dont know how it works but would not trust the shitty visa company one bit,they try to get your money.watch list for 700 baht is hard to belive any hotel would care.Go to airport and pay overstay and if there is more problem you can clear it then.Or send a friend to pay the bill at the hotel when you are at the airport.I realy dont belive you will have a problem but easy for me to say.God luck and let us know what happend.

Edited by crille30

Believe hotels have the option of notifying immigration and you can be denied leaving the country without paying first.

Yes, there is a watch list.

Contact the hotel first and make an arrangement with them. Besides the room rent they lost a keycard.

So after they are paid, would I be removed from the watch list?

That is how it normally works, but you have waited 2 years. That might or might not make a difference. But normally charges are dropt if you come to an agreement with the hotel.

That sounds like that would be ok but the big issue is that he is on overstay,that could be a problem?

Not if he takes care of the problems with the hotel first. As it is now, he might be detained till he has paid the hotel bill and the overstay fine thus miss his flight and have to buy a new ticket, before immigration will release him.

If he comes o an agreement with the hotel, they can drop charges and he will be allowed to elave as any other overstayer.

Member simon47 run a hotel and had immigration stop a few guests who didn't pay their bill before leaving. He will know more about this subject.

• Like 1

Not if he takes care of the problems with the hotel first. As it is now, he might be detained till he has paid the hotel bill and the overstay fine thus miss his flight and have to buy a new ticket, before immigration will release him.

If he comes o an agreement with the hotel, they can drop charges and he will be allowed to elave as any other overstayer.

Member simon47 run a hotel and had immigration stop a few guests who didn't pay their bill before leaving. He will know more about this subject.

Thanks again. You guys have been very helpful. I will get that bill taken care of. I will send a pm to simon47 and also talk to the Pa at first class visa. She also has a hotel in Pattaya. Maybe she can help me work things out with the owner of the other hotel. I definitely want to get this all sorted out before trying to leave the country.

When you ran out of money to pay the hotel bill how did you stay for 2 more years?

Are you ok to pay the overstay fine?

Arrange to pay the bill yourself without going to the hotel. You do not want to be caught anywhere outside of the airport if you are on an overstay. Get a friend to do it get a receipt and take it to the airport with you.

• Like 1

When you ran out of money to pay the hotel bill how did you stay for 2 more years?

Are you ok to pay the overstay fine?

Arrange to pay the bill yourself without going to the hotel. You do not want to be caught anywhere outside of the airport if you are on an overstay. Get a friend to do it get a receipt and take it to the airport with you.

Thank you mapro.

I did not expect to live through this experience when I ran out of money. Fortunately, I was able to make it with the help of a very special Thai woman who gave me food and a place to live. She is actually the step daughter of the American business partner who screwed me over. She is 25 year old factory worker and I am 50. Our relationship is strictly platonic. She is like a daughter to me. I was also able to make a few bucks on my own for survival money.

I am in contact with a sister of mine who I have not seen for many years. She has generously offered to put up the money for the overstay fine and the return ticket to get me back. Airline tickets are very expensive though and we cannot afford to make any mistakes that would prevent me from leaving, and lose my airline ticket. Have to do this right.

I have sent an email to the hotel, but I have noticed in the past that Thai businesses often don't respond to emails. I will call the hotel today if I don't get any response.

That is how it normally works, but you have waited 2 years. That might or might not make a difference. But normally charges are dropt if you come to an agreement with the hotel.

Mario, from a past experience of mine, (and I may be ill advised by Wangthonglang Police) a claim (small debts) has to be lodged within 30 days by the hotel or the hotel will not be able claim the debt. Given the size of the debt I would think it unlikely. But compounding the issue of overstay would not reflect well as the cost of that means the debt could have and would be able to be cleared if he can afford the overstay fine. One thing, if he attends the hotel and pays, and I think 1,000 may not cover it, he should at least make a reasonable offer and get a written clearance so he can travel immediately. If stopped at the airport by the watch list he can then produce a document of clearance. If he pays to a bank and expects the Thai's to take his name from the list - that may never occur.

Hotels have a special rule that they can contact immigration to prevent costumers leaving the country without paying. Member Simon47 has posted about this as he used this rule a few times to get the hotel bills paid by costumers who left without checking-out.

• Like 1

Hotels have a special rule that they can contact immigration to prevent costumers leaving the country without paying. Member Simon47 has posted about this as he used this rule a few times to get the hotel bills paid by costumers who left without checking-out.

Thanks again.

I sent an email to the hotel asking them to look up the debt and I just got their response which is posted below;

Hi, that is really a friendly email. It happens that sometimes customer go outside for a trip and come back after several days. As you had left the hotel and we were not informed that you will never come back, we kept your room 7 days available for you, that means, we lost 4.830 Bath.

Regards

So they are asking for almost 5,000 baht, which was alot more than I was expecting to pay, but I know that I have to get this taken care of.

Do you think that a reasonable solution would be to offer to pay 1,000 baht on the debt right away and make two monthly payments of 2,500 baht after I get back to the U.S. from income that I will have as soon as I get back home.

If they agree, I will have copys of the agreement that we made. copys of emails exchanged and a receipt from them for the first cash payment of 1,000 baht. That will show immigration that I am making every effort to fix the problem'

Do you think that that will get me past immigration?

Thanks again.

I sent an email to the hotel asking them to look up the debt and I just got their response which is posted below;

Hi, that is really a friendly email. It happens that sometimes customer go outside for a trip and come back after several days. As you had left the hotel and we were not informed that you will never come back, we kept your room 7 days available for you, that means, we lost 4.830 Bath.

Regards

So they are asking for almost 5,000 baht, which was alot more than I was expecting to pay, but I know that I have to get this taken care of.

Do you think that a reasonable solution would be to offer to pay 1,000 baht on the debt right away and make two monthly payments of 2,500 baht after I get back to the U.S. from income that I will have as soon as I get back home.

If they agree, I will have copys of the agreement that we made. copys of emails exchanged and a receipt from them for the first cash payment of 1,000 baht. That will show immigration that I am making every effort to fix the problem'

Do you have your 20.000baht for overstay? you dont have 5000baht to pay this debt? were are you? In Pattaya?what hotel did you stay in?? Do you have anything of value? laptop? watch? something that you can pawn? when are you plan to leave.? Sorry for you but are you for real? start smelling more and more, please can any one borow me some money? You are telling me that you dont have any friend in the world or after 2 years here that can help you with 5000baht? sorry if Iam out of line but sounds wrong all off it.

As I said earlier in the post, I have recently made contact with my sister that I have not seen in many years. She has generously offered to cover the cost of the overstay fine and the airline ticket and I have a little bit left over to take care of the hotel debt, but 5,000 baht is more than I was expecting. I am just trying to limit the amount of money that my sister has to put up to get me out of here. Once I get back to the U.S. I have ways to make money to get the rest of this hotel bill and my sister paid off.

Sorry If you do not believe my story. This sort of thing happens often in Thailand and all too often it ends with pictures of a guy hanging from a rope on the front page of Pattaya Daily News. That almost happened to me. Unfortunately not everyone who comes to Thailand has money from an inheritance, or a large trust fund to live off of.

I have not asked anybody on this board for money. I don't want money from anyone on this board. I am simply asking for advice because I am inexperienced on these matters. I only want to do what is necessary to get out of Thailand without anymore problems.

Thanks again.

Regards

Do you have your 20.000baht for overstay? you dont have 5000baht to pay this debt? were are you? In Pattaya?what hotel did you stay in?? Do you have anything of value? laptop? watch? something that you can pawn? when are you plan to leave.? Sorry for you but are you for real? start smelling more and more, please can any one borow me some money? You are telling me that you dont have any friend in the world or after 2 years here that can help you with 5000baht? sorry if Iam out of line but sounds wrong all off it.

As I said earlier in the post, I have recently made contact with my sister that I have not seen in many years. She has generously offered to cover the cost of the overstay fine and the airline ticket and I have a little bit left over to take care of the hotel debt, but 5,000 baht is more than I was expecting. I am just trying to limit the amount of money that my sister has to put up to get me out of here. Once I get back to the U.S. I have ways to make money to get the rest of this hotel bill and my sister paid off.

Sorry If you do not believe my story. This sort of thing happens often in Thailand and all too often it ends with pictures of a guy hanging from a rope on the front page of Pattaya Daily News. That almost happened to me. Unfortunately not everyone who comes to Thailand has money from an inheritance, or a large trust fund to live off of.

I have not asked anybody on this board for money. I don't want money from anyone on this board. I am simply asking for advice because I am inexperienced on these matters. I only want to do what is necessary to get out of Thailand without anymore problems.

well as i said Im sorry if im jumping wrong.I also think the hotel is just now taking a shoot at you to get some more money out of you but I feel for you and I apologize if Im sound like a ashole.You are in a bad spot man so I realy hope you get all worked out.

Thanks again.

Regards

Hmm. Even I, with my suspicous nature would not have thought the hotel would come back with a statement like that. It might be a "saving face" way of them asking for compensation while not being overly accusatory. If that will settle the matter, I would pay that amount. They might have actually been very nice by holding the room. Me suspects their was no need to hold the room and that the hotel was not fully booked, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I too once was leaving a hotel with the intent of not paying part of the bill because I had some money stolen TWICE! And each time I reported it to the hotel and they did nothing. My intent was to make a fair trade for the money stolen for a small part of the hotel bill. Of course the night clerk at 4 am could not do that.

what i cant understand in these situations is,

you must of known you was running out of money,

so why didnt you go home before it all ran out??

simple, or is it me,

and as for the hotel asking for 5,000bht i think there right to do so, you just leave the room take the key and the aircon remote,(whats that about) and think they are only going to charge you 1 nite, your in a dream,

like they say many many people staying at hoels go out for days going on trips ect, so they kept your room open for you,

i dont see the problem there,

• Like 2

Man this is one time I wish that I didn't now about the situation , Yes hotel owners that pay tax and have hotel licenses can have you held on "nonpayment' , normally it is local police stations but it will go to the airport, not immigration itself, As a hotel owner I have had customers held for payment when they just Ditched out without paying there bill, remember we get a fine if we don't report you staying in our hotel so we don't get charged for reporting you for not paying your bill.

What you do is up to you but I would just send the 4,800 to them and move on.

I hope all works out for you, It really is easy for us to hold you for payment.

PM me if you want to talk in private.

So, theses warrant can going to make a easy blacklist people ?

So, many hotels sometime they don't check hotel, and if have some blood into the bed, and they want to charge and request a warrant also for a bed ship 500b !

so scary

If the hotel doesn't check the room before you check out there is nothing to worry about, most times they check the room and fridge before you leave.

As tough as it is they have given a figure to clear. I would be tempted to head down there personally to pay it off so I could be sure that I got a receipt and was there to witness the call to local police to start the clearance. This would be the only way I would feel confident that I wasn't opening myself up for yet another fall.