Allopurinol

Forkinhades

I have been using local made Allopurinol for 20 years and have not had a gout incident in that time and Uric Acid is checked every 3 months and remains normal range. Prior to using had severe cases and strong family history. Do not believe you are gaining anything paying the extra price of that medication, nor do any of the doctors I have used. I was put on 300mg by US doctor about 25 years ago and have not required pain medication for gout since so consider it a very good investment but do not believe paying more for a brand name is justified. I do pay higher prices for some other medications and have full insurance so it is not really a cost issue.

I have been using local made Allopurinol for 20 years and have not had a gout incident in that time and Uric Acid is checked every 3 months and remains normal range. Prior to using had severe cases and strong family history. Do not believe you are gaining anything paying the extra price of that medication, nor do any of the doctors I have used. I was put on 300mg by US doctor about 25 years ago and have not required pain medication for gout since so consider it a very good investment but do not believe paying more for a brand name is justified. I do pay higher prices for some other medications and have full insurance so it is not really a cost issue.

Appreciate your input Lopburi3.

The first brand was Vietnamese - I know that allopurinol is a fairly innucuous drug, but I don't always have faith in VNese brands.

I have changed my mind and in 2 weeks, I'll up my dosage to 300 mgs because I will be in the US for several months - and in the US I have more frequent and severe attacks. I think the acidity in the food triggers these gout attachs in the US. I rarely have them in Asia.

I suppose this is a good move on my part, to increase the dosage.

Increasing the dosage may in the short run increase the frequency of attacks. Doing this right when you are in the US may not be the wisest move if you tend to have increased attacks there anyhow.

Need to understand that allopurinol's action in preventing gout is long term and takes time to achieve, as in many months or more. It does not make sense to increase it at the time of increased attacks (or anticipated increased attacks) in the expectation it will act quickly.

• Like 1

Increasing the dosage may in the short run increase the frequency of attacks. Doing this right when you are in the US may not be the wisest move if you tend to have increased attacks there anyhow.

Need to understand that allopurinol's action in preventing gout is long term and takes time to achieve, as in many months or more. It does not make sense to increase it at the time of increased attacks (or anticipated increased attacks) in the expectation it will act quickly.

Thanks for the info.

So, perhaps I should stay at 150 mgs per day like I have been for the last 10 weeks; continue to alkalize my blood w/ 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the AM after waking up and PM right before bed.

And I will continue to drink 4+ litres of water per day.

With all of these safeguards AND watching my diet, I think hope to avoid a gout attack in the US - of which I have had many.

I think in most cases with 2 1/2 months on 150mg and no problems, the dose would be raised, but as it sounds like your trip to the US is imminent that may give pause. A doctor with access to you current and past labs would be best placed to advise on this.

Sheryl:

Yes, Allopurinol take months. Some have told me the feel the best after taking it for 6 months. It takes time.

Edited by Wrong Turn

I think in most cases with 2 1/2 months on 150mg and no problems, the dose would be raised, but as it sounds like your trip to the US is imminent that may give pause. A doctor with access to you current and past labs would be best placed to advise on this.

This has been the big problem.

Being an expat, I have not had a regular doctor. I've had Thai, French, Vietnamese and American doctors. I don't have my previous uric acid tests.

When I had gout attacks in the US, I would go to be 'urgent care clinic' which I though had good, knowledgeable doctors - however you cannot request an particular doctor and that mean seeing different doctors.

I have been given Alloprunol prescriptions by one American doctor in Asia and one doctor in the US withouth ever seeing any uric acid test or lab work. No history. Just a swollen knee or ankle.

I am very happey I've taken this step in adding Allopurinol to prevent gout attacks.