Travel Agent

LawrenceChee

I have been rather disappointed by trying to use a local travel agent for international flights, especially when I am looking for the best price.

I go on the Matrix ITA sight, and look for the best value on the cheapest day of the month. If I cannot book it on line, I contact the airline office in THailand and ask for the rate on the interernet, then book it directly with the airline. I can choose my seat selection, and any other requests that I have at that time.

When I did get at good fare, I took it with the airlines and flight numbers to a couple of local agents, and they would not match the price.

i always found P and P (on thapae gate road - corner of soi 3?) to match any price on found online. I have been using them for my travel needs for last 2 years now. Plus, my last trip to USA in March, i had to change my return flight 3 different times over the period of a month and an email to agent got the flight changed within 24 hours, at no extra charge... simple, fast, price effective.

i always found P and P (on thapae gate road - corner of soi 3?) to match any price on found online. I have been using them for my travel needs for last 2 years now. Plus, my last trip to USA in March, i had to change my return flight 3 different times over the period of a month and an email to agent got the flight changed within 24 hours, at no extra charge... simple, fast, price effective.

Another vote for P&P - they have always been very helpful. I like dealing with Khun Praneet.

Agent have to make money somehow so I doubt they can beat prices online. Even if they match it what's in it for them?

I usually book on-line, but there are a lot of people who don't for reasons of their own. In that case they want to know who has a good reputation.

Agent have to make money somehow so I doubt they can beat prices online. Even if they match it what's in it for them?

Some times agents know about sales that are not posted and they know of a heck of a lot more air lines available for the flights.

I would presume they get some money from the air lines.

Personally don't care just so I get a good price and as has all ready been posted change my return with a e mail. I use K and K on ThaPa road across the street from AIS and about 100 feet towards the river. He has saved me money in the past I was trying to go with Air Asia and he pointed out that on that particular route Singapore Air was not only cheaper but gave you service and a 20 Kilo baggage limit. I would never have known that if I depended on line. If you find a travel agent you can trust give him enough notice and they will probably beat an on line price.

As an agent they are usually part of promotions only available to agents, i.e. bigger discounts on flights, lounges & transfers to name a few things.

As mentioned, they do this for a living and therefore it is in their interest to know who has the best offers on each route and at what times.

I have found that in most instances, with a lot of net time, I can usually get a better deal.

Some folk just don't want to do this and want the convenience, fair play to them. I enjoy doing the searching so I don't mind but it can get tedious at times.

So, what's in it for them? Earning a living, developing a good reputation and gaining repeat business which means they are recommended on forums such as this one for example!

• Like 1

As an agent they are usually part of promotions only available to agents, i.e. bigger discounts on flights, lounges & transfers to name a few things.

As mentioned, they do this for a living and therefore it is in their interest to know who has the best offers on each route and at what times.

I have found that in most instances, with a lot of net time, I can usually get a better deal.

Some folk just don't want to do this and want the convenience, fair play to them. I enjoy doing the searching so I don't mind but it can get tedious at times.

So, what's in it for them? Earning a living, developing a good reputation and gaining repeat business which means they are recommended on forums such as this one for example!

If you enjoy doing the on line search by all means do it. I myself will look on line but have never found a cheaper price than what my agent could get for me. Not sure how you would book Bali from here using Singapore air but the agent set it all up for me only a three hour lay over in Singapore and as I said in my earlier post I received service as well as more kilo's for baggage allowance.

I think pretty soon it is going to be a little trickier booking international flights if cheap is your main concern. I know on October 1 Air Asia will be switching over to Don Muong and for international you will have to pick up your luggage and cart it across town. Might be tricky getting the times rite what with traffic and all in Bangkok. I think they are talking about a solution.

Talk first act ten years later.

I myself will look on line but have never found a cheaper price than what my agent could get for me.

Can you provide a specific flight and your agents price that beats online pricing?

Not sure how you would book Bali from here using Singapore air but the agent set it all up for me only a three hour lay over in Singapore and as I said in my earlier post I received service as well as more kilo's for baggage allowance.

I still don't see why is so hard to go to singaporeair.com and select the dates and flight and pay for the ticket. The 3hr and 15min layover is standard for CNX SIN DPS and so is the 20kg standard baggage allowance for economy.

If the agent only charges 100 baht more then the price online for this service I can see why people might find them convenient to use,but I wouldn't be surprised to find out they charge a lot more.

I have been rather disappointed by trying to use a local travel agent for international flights, especially when I am looking for the best price.

I go on the Matrix ITA sight, and look for the best value on the cheapest day of the month. If I cannot book it on line, I contact the airline office in THailand and ask for the rate on the interernet, then book it directly with the airline. I can choose my seat selection, and any other requests that I have at that time.

When I did get at good fare, I took it with the airlines and flight numbers to a couple of local agents, and they would not match the price.

Am curious to know just how much these travel agents are making in profit on a typical transaction.

How much did the local agents quote over the price you found online?

I myself will look on line but have never found a cheaper price than what my agent could get for me.

Can you provide a specific flight and your agents price that beats online pricing?

Not sure how you would book Bali from here using Singapore air but the agent set it all up for me only a three hour lay over in Singapore and as I said in my earlier post I received service as well as more kilo's for baggage allowance.

I still don't see why is so hard to go to singaporeair.com and select the dates and flight and pay for the ticket. The 3hr and 15min layover is standard for CNX SIN DPS and so is the 20kg standard baggage allowance for economy.

If the agent only charges 100 baht more then the price online for this service I can see why people might find them convenient to use,but I wouldn't be surprised to find out they charge a lot more.

No I can not provide a specific flight as it was two yearts ago. But I can say it was 500 baht cheaper. Not that it matters to me. I would gladly pay 500 baht more for the service. Check my bags in Chiang Mai and pick them up in Bali.

As for going online to check Singapore air from Chiang Mai do it yourself. The last time I looked it did not show the flight. I think they use another air line out of Chiang Mai.

Some people like to do all the searching on the computer as they enjoy it. I look but if it is not simple I ignore it. Every time I have flown back to the states I have checked the price on line for Eva air and then gone to the travel agent and got it for the same price.

Like I said earlier if you have a good travel agent you can trust either through experience or friends use them I f you like searching on line do that. Every time I have flown into Bangkok while the plane taxi's around I see air lines I have never heard of. Try booking on line for a trip with Thai Orient.

You seem to have some thing against travel agents. Care to share and be specific and remember if you have read all the posts there are several reasons why they might be cheaper or do it at the same price. Not to mention the luxury of being able to just send them a e mail and have flight times changed.

Like I said earlier if you have a good travel agent you can trust either through experience or friends use them I f you like searching on line do that. Every time I have flown into Bangkok while the plane taxi's around I see air lines I have never heard of. Try booking on line for a trip with Thai Orient.

Orient Thai is their real name. Seems easy to me.

It is very rare a travel agent beats a price direct with the airline, and I don't know of an airline in the world without a website, in fact, I can't think of one without an English language version.

Travel Agents in Chiang Maii have been known to run off with peoples' money. There are few I'd trust.

It is very rare a travel agent beats a price direct with the airline, and I don't know of an airline in the world without a website, in fact, I can't think of one without an English language version.

Booking on-line is a piece of cake and nearly all airlines (as you say) have an English website. But English is not everyone's first language and they might find parts of it difficult to navigate, so I can understand the usefulness of travel agents.

Travel Agents in Chiang Maii have been known to run off with peoples' money. There are few I'd trust.

Sorry about getting the wrong name. I am going to have to use my old age excuse on that one.

I flew with them in Feb. and they did not have the information then on line. But at that time there was a phone number you could call order it on the phone and pick it up at a 7 11. I don't trust that kind of thing so I went to there office on Tha Pa road.

Going to Pattaya next month and checked in with them today only to find out they only fly in to Don Mung now. As I said in a earlier post that could become a problem for international flights. Even going to Pattaya. Until Oct. 1 Air Asia will be going in to swampy.

You are quite correct travel agents in Chiang Mai have been known to rip people off some just change the name of the business and keep on doing it.

If you read all of my posts you will note I say one you can depend on. Do some research this comes up about once a year and you will notice some names always come recommended. Try them.

Edited by hellodolly

You seem to have some thing against travel agents. Care to share and be specific and remember if you have read all the posts there are several reasons why they might be cheaper or do it at the same price. Not to mention the luxury of being able to just send them a e mail and have flight times changed.

I have never used a travel agent that is why I am curious to know why people use them. I'm assuming most people that use them are doing do for the convenience and are not as price conscious as others, or perhaps not so good with finding flights online. For others its much more convenience to book from home at the best available price.

Yes I have heard this too, taking the customers money and not booking the ticket. This is not a problem if you go with a reliable travel agent, but still poses a big problem for people that just assume a random travel agent is trustworthy and will book upon payment. This means you have to research a travel agent first before using them.

I have never used a travel agent that is why I am curious to know why people use them. I'm assuming most people that use them are doing do for the convenience and are not as price conscious as others, or perhaps not so good with finding flights online. For others its much more convenience to book from home at the best available price.

Yes I have heard this too, taking the customers money and not booking the ticket. This is not a problem if you go with a reliable travel agent, but still poses a big problem for people that just assume a random travel agent is trustworthy and will book upon payment. This means you have to research a travel agent first before using them.

I have to admit in the last few years the web sites have defiantly improved. But if my agent matches there prices I will go with him there is some thing about the security of only being a e mail away from changing flights. One other thing to take into consideration is cancellations I have been told it is not always that easy with some air lines this is more information from a good agent. I suppose some where in the fine print on line it is posted but I hate reading the fine print.

If you have a good travel agent they can save you time and money. Thats a fact. Not everyones travel requirements are simple point to point flights. These can be booked on the internet easily in most cases if you have some knowledge of the routes and options.

Complex stuff, routeing out via a certain city, side trip to somewhere back via somewhere else, stopovers. Visa requirements if i route via ?, Might be bringing a bicycle back? Can i date change it? Ticket validity, 1 month, 12 months? Date changes free of charge on some airlines USD150 a change on others. Is that 500 baht cheaper ticket the with USD150 date change better than the one thats 500 baht more but has USD25 date changes and is valid 12 months? Aircraft types - the Qantas flight with brand new A380 or that other Qantas flight thats going an hour earlier, perfect! click booked it! (but its a codeshare using a 20 year old BA 747 - the website won't tell you that). Will it generate mileage with my TG freq flyer membership? I may do this at the end of september if its cheaper, if not the second week of october? I can't leave LA until after 18:30. I need my bags to be thru checked. Will i be reprotected if one of my flights are late? My partner will be meeting me in Seoul but he's coming back on this date. The website didn't tell me i can't enter Dubai with Israeli stamps in my passport! Try doing this kind of thing on an airlines website and are still sure you have the best deal?

• Like 1

If you have a good travel agent they can save you time and money. Thats a fact. Not everyones travel requirements are simple point to point flights. These can be booked on the internet easily in most cases if you have some knowledge of the routes and options.

Complex stuff, routeing out via a certain city, side trip to somewhere back via somewhere else, stopovers. Visa requirements if i route via ?, Might be bringing a bicycle back? Can i date change it? Ticket validity, 1 month, 12 months? Date changes free of charge on some airlines USD150 a change on others. Is that 500 baht cheaper ticket the with USD150 date change better than the one thats 500 baht more but has USD25 date changes and is valid 12 months? Aircraft types - the Qantas flight with brand new A380 or that other Qantas flight thats going an hour earlier, perfect! click booked it! (but its a codeshare using a 20 year old BA 747 - the website won't tell you that). Will it generate mileage with my TG freq flyer membership? I may do this at the end of september if its cheaper, if not the second week of october? I can't leave LA until after 18:30. I need my bags to be thru checked. Will i be reprotected if one of my flights are late? My partner will be meeting me in Seoul but he's coming back on this date. The website didn't tell me i can't enter Dubai with Israeli stamps in my passport! Try doing this kind of thing on an airlines website and are still sure you have the best deal?

you're asking many questions which are easily found on the internet for people who do a little research!

visa / entry issues can be found for pretty much any country in a matter of seconds via google.

The flights you are looking at booking nearly always tell you what type of aircraft you will be flying on and if it is code shared or not.

As for leaving after 18:30? You simply look at flight schedules, not rocket science!

Checking bags through? I've always found that to be standard practice when flying from A to B or A to Z. I recently booked from CNX to MAN (Manchester UK). Travel agent could only do this by booking two seperate flights, CNX - BKK then BKK - MAN. This would have meant picking my bags up at swampy then checking in again, not good as it also would have meant I lost 50% luggage allowance on the first leg. I asked them about this and they replied it was the only way they could do it. I then showed them the option I found on-line with booking direct with the airline and checking from CNX to MAN and they still told me you cannot do this.

I've booked on-line and fly very soon lol.

I've nothing against travel agents at all but 99% of what they offer you can get yourself, like I said I do enjoy the search and know not everyone does.

As for the issue of Air Asia moving to Don Mueang soon, they are usually my last choice of carrier for domestic flights so as far as travelling internationally goes they would probably be my last choice too.

I do agree the point made earlier about a flight being slightly cheaper having little to no flexibility but this is usually explained within the selection & booking process and slightly higher prices on the same flights are often offered which will include the option of being semi or fully flexible.

Thanks Hully Gully !

spot on with Khun Pidet with travel shoppe...booked with him today great recommendations cheaper than the direct Silkair website , chose seats and stuff and he offered a dispatch service for collection of payment ...spoke perfect English !

Yes forgot to mention Pidet will arrange delivery of the ticket to your home and collect the cash.

Its always better to pay cash with Pidet as you are not charged 3% credit card fee

I have used him for 10 years, also I need to change a ticket whilst overseas, I emailed Pidet and he fixed it

Good Guy

It all comes down to how much are you willing to pay and how much time do you have to go throught the many different airlines.

Some of us have developed atrust for a paarticular agent because he or she has always delivere the goods.

Others enjoy the search on line and are willing to chance that they have explored every single posabilities. You have to enjoy the exploring to go through each of the conditions that CNXBKKMAN mentioned. That is not my thing Twice I have saved money with a travel agent. Once years ago when I was living in Canada and going to Mexico. They got me on high season at low season rates.

I will check on line and then if =my agent is not in line with that price I will go back on line. So far hasn't happened. As I say some people really enjoy that kind of thing and some don't. We al shake the dice and roll them.

• 2 weeks later...

Having problems on here today so apologizes if this is posted twice!

I use Peam Travel Center located behind 'Jacks Van' next to Bollywood Indian restaurant , they have been very helpful and nothing seems to much trouble.

The owner Kirada speaks excellent English and has out performed my previous BKK agent. Got me a great deal on travel insurance this time round!

089 955 1180 or 053 874 493/4

Edited by lizardtongue

you're asking many questions which are easily found on the internet for people who do a little research!

visa / entry issues can be found for pretty much any country in a matter of seconds via google.

The flights you are looking at booking nearly always tell you what type of aircraft you will be flying on and if it is code shared or not.

As for leaving after 18:30? You simply look at flight schedules, not rocket science!

Checking bags through? I've always found that to be standard practice when flying from A to B or A to Z. I recently booked from CNX to MAN (Manchester UK). Travel agent could only do this by booking two seperate flights, CNX - BKK then BKK - MAN. This would have meant picking my bags up at swampy then checking in again, not good as it also would have meant I lost 50% luggage allowance on the first leg. I asked them about this and they replied it was the only way they could do it. I then showed them the option I found on-line with booking direct with the airline and checking from CNX to MAN and they still told me you cannot do this.

I've booked on-line and fly very soon lol.

I've nothing against travel agents at all but 99% of what they offer you can get yourself, like I said I do enjoy the search and know not everyone does.

As for the issue of Air Asia moving to Don Mueang soon, they are usually my last choice of carrier for domestic flights so as far as travelling internationally goes they would probably be my last choice too.

I do agree the point made earlier about a flight being slightly cheaper having little to no flexibility but this is usually explained within the selection & booking process and slightly higher prices on the same flights are often offered which will include the option of being semi or fully flexible.

I have almost always used online booking, but it is horses for courses. I have booked online and not been able to have baggage checked right through (INV - MNC - BKK in July with Flybe and Qatar) but time before I could with BMI and Etihad. One time I did use a travel agent I did get better prices, but it was not such a good airline.

Now, I always search online first, although I would agree with previous posters, it is tedious.

Back to CNX in January, and I am sure the recommendations of local travel agents will be very useful in future. Thanks, guys.