Thai Airways International Welcomes Boeing 777-300Er Aircraft

webfact

AIRLINES

Philavan takes to the skies

30188313-01_big.jpg

Thai Airways International welcomes the Boeing 777-300ER aircraft to its fleet and she's a hot babe equipped with personal monitors and a great entertainment package

BANGKOK: -- The name Philavan suggests THAI's new baby, the Boeing 777-300ER, is a girl. Pure and beautiful, with a white fuselage and wings, she is "wrapped" with violet, red and yellow stripes on her tail and on her vertical stabiliser. Sharing the hangar with her "mother" Boeing 747 and other aircraft at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Philavan is certainly the centre of attention. Philavan is attractive.

"This is first of eight Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. The second one will arrive later this year," says a member of THAI's public relations team during the cabin tour at Suvarnabhumi Airport last week. "With our first Boeing 777-300ER, we will operate one daily flight between Bangkok and Narita."

For the airline's regular passengers, the Boeing 777-300ER, with its sophisticated interior design and modern in-flight technology and entertainment, hasn't come a moment too soon. Anyone who flies on Bangkok-Narita route will be aware that THAI's ticket is not cheap. But the old Boeing 747, with overhead monitors shared by 200 passengers, feels like it's letting the side down.

Boeing 777-300ER, equipped with a GE90 engine on each wing, is one of the finest planes in the aviation industry, competing with soon-to-be-seen Airbus A350-1000 aircraft. B777-300ER has proven its reliability with many major airlines - Emirates, Singapore Airline Korean Air to name a few. ER, or extended-range version, means the aircraft is designed for a long-haul route.

THAI's Boeing 777-300ER is made to accommodate 348 passengers in a two-class configuration -Business Royal Silk Class and Economy Class.

The new cabin is, of course, spotless and occupied by different shades of violet - THAI's signature colour. The "galleries", in-between cabin compartments, show off stories of Buddhist mythology and beliefs printed on fine fabric.

Business Class, in 1-2-1 layout, is fitted with 42 standard 180-degree recliners with 87-inch pitch and 20-inch width, meaning more legroom for the passenger, which is important on a long-haul flight.

In Business Class, in-flight entertainment comes on a 15-inch touch screen monitor. More than 100 movies, 150 documentaries, 60 games and 500 music albums keep you entertained on the Bangkok-Narita route. Two USB ports are available for a smart phone recharger or flash drive.

Business Class is great although some rows with a smaller pitch may give those with wider hips as well as supersized passengers some trouble getting in and out. I consider myself fairly slim with a 32-inch waist but still had to side-step into the recliner.

Beyond the Business Class is the coach - the Economy Class. Laid out in 3-3-3 format, the new Boeing 777-300ER has standard seat with 32-inch seat pitch and 18-inch seat width. The new seats are very with personal monitor (10.6 inch) and one USB. Two AC power outlets are available for three passengers sharing. I try to sit in the very last row nearby the crew seats. I stand 1m80 but in my Economy seat, I have plenty of space and comfort even when the passenger in front reclines to the maximum.

Thai Airways International has ordered eight of Boeing 777-300ER aircraft for long-haul, cross-continent flights. These aircraft will replace the decommissioned aircraft, with the second B777-300ER aircraft being delivered in October and six more in 2013.

THAI will use its second craft on Bangkok-Seoul-Los Angeles route and Bangkok-Brussels route. In the meantime, Philavan will stretch her wings daily between Suvarnabhumi and Narita.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-15

Not sure why THAI is making a big deal about this aircraft, as they have had the 777-300ER in their fleet for a few years now, leasing some from Jet Airways of India. The subject of this news story is the first of the second batch of these planes (which were reportedly leased from a Singapore leasing company.) They are brand-new airplanes however, arriving directly from Boeing. The third batch (to start arriving in a few years) will be the first that THAI has actually direct-ordered from Boeing.

And yes, I agree about bringing back the New York route. Maybe possible with the 787 in a few years? And if so, I'd like to see it go into Newark, so there are easy Star Alliance connections possible.

Thai's fleet up to now has had a 34" seat pitch. 32" is bad news for most travelers.

Sam, Red, sorry to say, but even the 787-900 lacks the range for a NYC and LAX non-stops. Other than the A340-500 only the Boeing 777-200LR can operate over these routes. The 777-200LR can do it with a profitable load. I miss the non-stops too!

What is Thai Airways going to do with their A340-500s?

All four of them were just sitting there last time I was out at BKK.

I've also read that the LAX route will soon be upgraded to a 747 in November.

The 747 offers 1st class unlike their 777-200 and A340-500.

Will Thai Airways order the 747-8I?

If so, will it be able to do the non-stop to LAX and JFK?

1lau742hvhk.png Nice, good plain....

Nice plane the 777 300ER EVA air has used them since 2000, now Thai air has got "1" a bit late don't you think, but well done them, just one problem it only fly's BKK to Narita if you want to go anywhere else your on one of their 30 year old model's and pay bundle's for the privilege. Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

I'm guessing this order and the remaining A380s are the last major upgrades under the new 'regime'

@3soidognight the A340-500 is a very thirsty plane(per passenger), with the current fuel prices they might be sitting there for a while.

There's also the new fleet of 10 (or so) leased A320s for lower-cost (but not low-cost) Thai-Smile, which currently (this week, next who knows ?) appear to be destined to substitution on mainly-domestic routes for the larger/older/thirstier/less-frequent flights by Big-Sister-airline TG. smile.png

Who cares...we never fly Thai...unless you want to pay 2 times the rate other airlines offer!

Thai's first class is cheaper on several EU routes. Rome FCO is an example.

Also, a Z fare in business is quite competitive on several EU routes now.

On the other hand, the fares for all *A to FRA in business have increased 10-20% in the past year.

In respect to those asking for a return to JFK, it will not happen for at least the next year. Here's why;

1. Slot availability

2. Landing fees are some of the highest in the USA.

3. JFK & EWR have some of the worst delays which can really bugger up a schedule and staffing hours. As bad as LAX is, it doesn't have the same weather delays

4. Too expensive to maintain the support staff and crew rotations that would be needed.

5. The route network is saturated. Other *A partners are better able to serve the market especially UA, LH and AC.

6. Many flyers hate JFK and EWR as hubs. Yes LAX sucks, but JFK is worse.

In respect to those asking for a return to JFK, it will not happen for at least the next year. Here's why;

1. Slot availability

2. Landing fees are some of the highest in the USA.

3. JFK & EWR have some of the worst delays which can really bugger up a schedule and staffing hours. As bad as LAX is, it doesn't have the same weather delays

4. Too expensive to maintain the support staff and crew rotations that would be needed.

5. The route network is saturated. Other *A partners are better able to serve the market especially UA, LH and AC.

6. Many flyers hate JFK and EWR as hubs. Yes LAX sucks, but JFK is worse.

(My bolding above)

Where do you come up with this stuff?

First of all, the reason the New York route would not be reopened for at least the next year . . . is because other than the A340-500 that they will not use, THAI has no aircraft to serve the route (in a nonstop context.)

As for the murky methods of slot allocation, slots seem to open up (or deals get made), especially when it involves new, desired international service from a foreign carrier that only needs to operate one set of flights/day. As for most of your other issues, they were never mentioned with THAI's previous service to New York as issues of any significance, if ever mentioned at all.

Late improvement,whistling.gif

=For the airline's regular passengers, the Boeing 777-300ER, with its sophisticated interior design and modern in-flight technology and entertainment, hasn't come a moment too soon. Anyone who flies on Bangkok-Narita route will be aware that THAI's ticket is not cheap. But the old Boeing 747, with overhead monitors shared by 200 passengers, feels like it's letting the side down=

LAUDA AIR used In seat entertainment and sophisticated Computergames already in 1997 in their 767 later 777 tongue.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/576448-thai-airways-new-777-300er-for-laxbru-route/

The first of a dozen or so to be leased from BOC (Bank of China) Aviation.

Does anybody know the relevance of the name, Pee - Rah - Wahn? I understand it may have been selected/bestowed by Royal decree, so assume it has a meaning in Royal Thai? Maybe a place-name - many TG aircraft have place-names, typically provinces? Although the article implies it refers to a girl or girl's name?

-tw25rw-

I am not tall, but, I would not say I am a midget with 100+kg, at that time.

My friends and me had never a problem with seat configuration of the Lauda Air.

Obeys or tall Basket ballplayers should anyway fly Business class to be satisfied.tongue.png

What was a really crazy seat configuration was on the 767 Lauda Air rent from a French Airline after the Mozart disaster near Kanchanaburi 1992.

I flew the Mozart in Februar of the accident year. Near miss!rolleyes.gif

The seats had been cramped in, but as it was summer approaching and low season, there had been a lot of rows with free space to lay down and sleep.

And, no, I would not change a small piece of more space for my than sophisticated Computergames and Video channels.

At that time state of the art!smile.png

http://www.thaivisa....r-laxbru-route/

The first of a dozen or so to be leased from BOC (Bank of China) Aviation.

Does anybody know the relevance of the name, Pee - Rah - Wahn? I understand it may have been selected/bestowed by Royal decree, so assume it has a meaning in Royal Thai? Maybe a place-name - many TG aircraft have place-names, typically provinces? Although the article implies it refers to a girl or girl's name?

According to the Nation Multimedia The name Philavan suggests THAI's new baby, the Boeing 777-300ER, is a girl. Pure and beautiful,