Retirement Visa Questions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input. I propose applying for an "O-A" with submission of all documentation except for Embassy Letter. (Because I want to see what will happen, and I also believe that this letter is superfluous) although I will obtain a letter from my Embassy to produce in the event that it is requested by Immigration, so I dont completely waste my time. For those interested in the outcome I will post again on this thread but, as I have to go to Om Koi tomorrow for about a week to help build a school, I will not be going to Immigration until I return home.

Could it be that this whole subject suffers from 'Moving Goal Post Syndrome?'

Here is an Aunt Sally for all you experts out there:

Can a foreigner over the age of 50 with either 800k or proven pension of 65k pm or combination of both get an initial Retirement Visa in the Pattaya Immigration Office in Soi 8 if he is just at the end of his six month triple-entry TOURIST visa. i.e. WITHOUT a Non-Imm 'O'???

It was not my intention to ruffle any feathers, but rather to allude to the fact that the application of the so-called rules is not as black and white as some preach.

I recently had a disagreement with a pal of mine over Retirement Visa requirements. I was adamant that you must have a Non-Immigrant 'O' as the Retirement Visa is by definition an extension of an 'O' visa. My pal was equally insistant that a Tourist Visa could be extended in the same way. To cut a long story short, he had been involved in a discussion on the very same subject on another board and was provided with 'evidence' to support his view. Below is what he forwarded to me, although I have blanked out the name of the individual for obvious reasons:

visanoname.jpg

visastampnoname.jpg

The above certainly seems to show that the applicant did in fact successfully get his extension (and before anyone points it out, the person concerned was unaware that he could have extended each Tourist Visa entry for 30 days).

On the face of it, this does not make any sense according to what I thought were the current rules. Regardless, that is what happened.

Moreover, the following is the information sheet that the Immigration Office in Pattaya Soi 8 now hand out to would be applicants:

soi8retvrules.jpg

Not that a possible omission actually proves anything, notice there is no mention of a requirement to have a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa.

It seems to me that the interpretation of Thai Immigration rules is clearly an Art and not a Science. :o

Could it be that this whole subject suffers from 'Moving Goal Post Syndrome?'

Here is an Aunt Sally for all you experts out there:

Can a foreigner over the age of 50 with either 800k or proven pension of 65k pm or combination of both get an initial Retirement Visa in the Pattaya Immigration Office in Soi 8 if he is just at the end of his six month triple-entry TOURIST visa. i.e. WITHOUT a Non-Imm 'O'???

It was not my intention to ruffle any feathers, but rather to allude to the fact that the application of the so-called rules is not as black and white as some preach.

I recently had a disagreement with a pal of mine over Retirement Visa requirements. I was adamant that you must have a Non-Immigrant 'O' as the Retirement Visa is by definition an extension of an 'O' visa. My pal was equally insistant that a Tourist Visa could be extended in the same way. To cut a long story short, he had been involved in a discussion on the very same subject on another board and was provided with 'evidence' to support his view. Below is what he forwarded to me, although I have blanked out the name of the individual for obvious reasons:

The above certainly seems to show that the applicant did in fact successfully get his extension (and before anyone points it out, the person concerned was unaware that he could have extended each Tourist Visa entry for 30 days).

On the face of it, this does not make any sense according to what I thought were the current rules. Regardless, that is what happened.

Moreover, the following is the information sheet that the Immigration Office in Pattaya Soi 8 now hand out to would be applicants:

Not that a possible omission actually proves anything, notice there is no mention of a requirement to have a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa.

It seems to me that the interpretation of Thai Immigration rules is clearly an Art and not a Science. :o

It is rarely black and white hereabouts, but it is possible for an immigration officer to change a tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O visa. The rules say a Non O is required for retirement purposes. I'll make some more enquiries, but the scenario you posted is very much out of the ordinary. If you line up 6 Immigration officers and ask 'em all the same question, you are like to get 3 or 4 differing answers. Go with the flow, T i T :D

To Lovecam, the diabetic: The medical examination consisted only of reading my blood pressure and a doctor listening to my heart.

To Oldfart: I'm Australian and it was my first Retirement Visa application. All i needed was a letter from the bank and the health certificate. I was asked about my sources of income abroad and also my educational qualifications. No proof of such was asked for. I'm sure that being able to speak Thai and having a uni degree helped my cause as I got the visa sorted out in less than an hour. Now I only have to report back every 90 days to confirm my current address.

Help me Remember ...

Didn't another member report having done this in Suan Phlu

a few months ago ?

He didn't put up any evidence so some of us may have doubted

what he was saying

He said he had arrived on a Tourist Visa.

I think he then said that Suan Phlu gave him a Non Imm O

which they then extended ...

Can anyone remember?

Roger

Help me Remember ...

Didn't another member report having done this in Suan Phlu

a few months ago ?

He didn't put up any evidence so some of us may have doubted

what he was saying

He said he had arrived on a Tourist Visa.

I think he then said that Suan Phlu gave him a Non Imm O

which they then extended ...

Can anyone remember?

Roger

They can do that change, but usually won't. This one looked as though the extension could have issued on the strength of just a tourist visa. I wonder whether there was a change of classification on another page of the passport.

I propose applying for an "O-A"

Hi Old Fart,

You will be applying for a One Year Retirement

extension to your current Multi Non Imm O visa.

If granted you will be given one year from the date

that you last entered the Kingdom.

I think you mentioned that your Current Entry Stamp

expires in February & you will be doing a Visa Run before you apply.

*Normally* - extensions are entertained during the last

30 days of any 90 day stay.

However someone did *claim* they were able to get one earlier than that.

*As far as I know* an O-A visa is granted in an applicant's

home country when he has already satisfied the Bank Deposit

in Thailand requirement and an O-A visa results in a one year

entry stamp being granted at the point of entry.

Good Luck

Roger

I propose applying for an "O-A"

Hi Old Fart,

You will be applying for a One Year Retirement

extension to your current Multi Non Imm O visa.

If granted you will be given one year from the date

that you last entered the Kingdom.

I think you mentioned that your Current Entry Stamp

expires in February & you will be doing a Visa Run before you apply.

*Normally* - extensions are entertained during the last

30 days of any 90 day stay.

However someone did *claim* they were able to get one earlier than that.

*As far as I know* an O-A visa is granted in an applicant's

home country when he has already satisfied the Bank Deposit

in Thailand requirement and an O-A visa results in a one year

entry stamp being granted at the point of entry.

Good Luck

Roger

:o:D There is often confusion about this....but Roger is absolutely correct.l

They can do that change, but usually won't. This one looked as though the extension could have issued on the strength of just a tourist visa. I wonder whether there was a change of classification on another page of the passport.

That was the exact same question I asked, but was categorically assured there were no other stamps showing a conversion.

That is what makes it so strange as I 'know' that you can convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-Imm 'O' without leaving the country (according to the guru Khun Pallop on the 3rd Floor in BKK). Perhaps the conversion is 'invisible'. :o

The applicant also confirmed that he only paid 1,900 Baht in toto. Had there been a conversion I would have expected it to bear a cost.

And there was I thinking I was becoming an expert too! :D

We live and learn it would seem. :D

slightly off topic but is it easier to get a retirement visa or a marrige visa???

by easier i mean less hassle and less paperwork and less waiting and less contact with offialdom.

In my view the retirement visa is probably the easiest. With the marriage number you need to have her / him show up to assure the officers that all is bona fide. A lot depends on the individual officer too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back from a visit to Chiang Mai Immigration to get full info of what they require for a Retirement Visa. Officer confirmed they will convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-Imm 'O' without leaving the country, but of course not the 30 days stamp deal. Full list of requirements posted on their notice board, incl. items the medical certificate must address.

cm boy

Just come back from a visit to Chiang Mai Immigration to get full info of what they require for a Retirement Visa. Officer confirmed they will convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-Imm 'O' without leaving the country, but of course not the 30 days stamp deal. Full list of requirements posted on their notice board, incl. items the medical certificate must address.

cm boy

Good for you cm...go for it :o

Full list of requirements posted on their notice board, incl. items the medical certificate must address.

C M Boy

Is this notice board on their

Internet Web Site?

Or a bit of Paper pinned to a board in their Office?

Can you give us the URL of the web Site

OR a transcript of the bit of paper please?

Thanks

Roger

Roger, it is posted on a notice board in the waiting area outside the office. I'm going back there today so I'll get all the relevant info.

The website:

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/eng_Apply...nce_Permit.html

states the following:

2.3. The applicant’s medical certificate from state hospital certifying that he/she is not disabled, unsound mind and free from following diseases.

2.3.1 Leprosy

2.3.2 Serious period of tuberculosis

2.3.3 Elephantiasis

2.3.4 Narcotic

2.3.5 Alcoholism

2.3.6 Syphilis

But I'll check to confim if there's more.

cm boy

if someone is in the country on a retirement visa and then at some stage wants to work or open a small business/shop/enterprise is it possible to change the visa type (e.g. to a marriage visa) in order to get a work permit ???

It mightn't be too easy tax...the marriage visa is more versatile, and enables you to get a work permit. The retirement number is just for retirement. You'd probably have to apply again. If you are married to a Thai, start that way if you hanker to do something.

May 2002, tourist to Non-O, Chiang Mai won't do, two trips to Bkk 3rd floor office per Phil Clark. No affidavit from Embassy or Criminal Clearance required. U.S. National. 90 day first extention under new Non-O from Bkk, then another 90 day extention from Chiang Mai, then balance of 365 day extentions from date of first Non-O application. Then a 365 day extention after that from Chiang Mai.

Chaing Mai officer in charge in his widely published interview indicated that in early 2004, all provincial immigration offices will be linked to Bkk by computer, will that allow provincial offices to issue change of status (tourist to Non-O)? I doubt it.

cm boy

Yes they will.