Pajero Sport Sat Nav

Here is one for the PJS owners amongst you.

I have just taken delivery of an 18 month old PJS as a hand-me-down from someone that has left my company. Having a play with the video console would suggest I have DVD but not any sat nav capabilities (I touch where it says navi and the screen goes blank).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the system upgraded by Mitsubishi or should I head out to buy myself a Garmin? I was planning a trip to Panthip anyway to get a dashcam so I could just add that to my list.

Thanks

Not (yet) a PJS owner, but there is long thread about these issues with the PJS.

I would advise you just to get a standalone garmin, as the simple navi installation by Mitsu would range around 20-29 K. Not worth it.

OK, thanks for the quick reply. It means the video screen is a bit of a wasted space as I don't think it plays movies on the move either. I may see if I can get a combo Sat Nav and Dash-Cam setup, there must be something like that available.

Cheers

It should play "movies on the move", mine does.

Definitely getting a seperate unit is the way to go, much cheaper, you can take it out and use it seperately if needed, and in my case I can play movies for the kids or music in parallel to using the GPS.

Can't recall the model number but I bought a 5" Germin and mounted it just above the in-car screen. Think it was about 7,900 baht or there abouts. Works well and looks OK as fits in aesthetically with the other screen.

OK, thanks for the quick reply. It means the video screen is a bit of a wasted space as I don't think it plays movies on the move either. I may see if I can get a combo Sat Nav and Dash-Cam setup, there must be something like that available.

Cheers

It should play "movies on the move", mine does.

Definitely getting a seperate unit is the way to go, much cheaper, you can take it out and use it seperately if needed, and in my case I can play movies for the kids or music in parallel to using the GPS.

Can't recall the model number but I bought a 5" Germin and mounted it just above the in-car screen. Think it was about 7,900 baht or there abouts. Works well and looks OK as fits in aesthetically with the other screen.

Movies on the move are not allowed in Thailand. To make it possible anyway you have (to have) the connection between unit and hand brake disconnected, takes about 5 minutes.

Cheers

It is useful if you have a reversing camera fitted... wink.png Otherwise, indeed, without GPS, not much of a use.

You can buy however a separate unit Karmaz or Alpine and fit it to the car (might be cheaper and you can use the screen).

See here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/428661-2011-pajero-sport-minor-change/page__st__100#entry4211930

The Alpine DVD head unit and the PMD-B100 GPS unit that works with the PJS touch screen are old models and not well supported by Alpine. A stand alone Garmin etc is OK but the nicest but most expensive option is to replace the touch screen with a more modern 2DIN head unit with DVD, GPS, USB and blue tooth etc.

The Alpine DVD head unit and the PMD-B100 GPS unit that works with the PJS touch screen are old models and not well supported by Alpine. A stand alone Garmin etc is OK but the nicest but most expensive option is to replace the touch screen with a more modern 2DIN head unit with DVD, GPS, USB and blue tooth etc.

For newly bought units, this would void the Mitsu warranty, unfortunately.

I kind of like the idea of a clean dashboard so the idea of the afternarket Alpine GPS unit is attractive, as would be some sort of USB connection for me to plug my Android phone into to play music (I am not a huge fan of Thai radio).

Sorry for the newbie question but am I nest going to a Mitsu dealership for that or does anyone have an aftermarket place they could recommend I check out? I live in downtown bangkok.

Cheers

Hello, no I would avoid going to Mitsu (or you'll get their huge markup in your teeth).

There is an Alpine dealer in BKK, check here: http://www.alpine-asia.com/

M-TECH AUDIO CO., LTD.

333 Onnut Rd., Suan-luang, Suan-luang Bangkok 10250

Tel: 66-2-742-2333

Fax: 66-2-742-4892

To plug your phone in, I think you will need an Aux in cable (around 1.000 THB from the info I could read in that thread). Also to be got from Alpine.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the really helpful advice and for not flaming me!

The head unit I have now is an Alpine DVA-9861E which literally just seems to do DVD (and yes they will play on the move which is a blessing in the endless traffic jams!).

Thanks for the link, I will have my missus take a look at the list of authorised dealers and see if there is one closer to my side of town (sathorn), otherwise On Nut is definitely doable.

Cheers & have a good weekend

The PJS navi from main dealer is 30/40K the movies work without adjusting anything even when moving

Apart from that nice car but I still prefer fortuner, only factory flooded 6 months ago an wAiting list

I got the blue one ,,, lovely

I've have few of the Garmin stick-ons and they're great, but I love the Kenwood dash unit in my new Isuzu. Not have to stick it on and plug it in is great. Also, the Kenwood uses a Garmin OS.

And I thought that you were a 'PJS man', what did you get? The unit in my V-Cross is pretty impressive.

The head unit I have now is an Alpine DVA-9861E which literally just seems to do DVD (and yes they will play on the move which is a blessing in the endless traffic jams!).

Thanks for the link, I will have my missus take a look at the list of authorised dealers and see if there is one closer to my side of town (sathorn), otherwise On Nut is definitely doable.

If you go with the Alpine PMD-B100 GPS that works with the PJS screen, make sure it is mounted in a location you can get to easily, i.e. glove-box etc. The PMD-B100 is a portable GPS that you can use in another car if you wish, but it also freezes sometimes on start up. The GPS can be reset by restarting the car but there is also a reset button on the GPS that is more convenient (if located so you can reach it).

There is an Alpine dealer near the entrance of the Tobacco Monpoly on Rama IV which is a bit more on your side of town. There are 2 audio shops just before the entrance, one of which is an Alpine dealer. Can't recall the name of the shop just now though.

They offered me a 3rd party GPS unit (Zytrus) that worked with the PJS screen for 22,000 baht. I was just there getting cables to connect my phone so did not look into the GPS unit any further.

I've have few of the Garmin stick-ons and they're great, but I love the Kenwood dash unit in my new Isuzu. Not have to stick it on and plug it in is great. Also, the Kenwood uses a Garmin OS.

And I thought that you were a 'PJS man', what did you get? The unit in my V-Cross is pretty impressive.

I got the top end highlander and I love it so far. I get a company car, but it has to be a pickup.

I think I might get the mu7 when it comes out on the new platform and let my wife drive the highlander. Hopefully they'll run out of the dark brown leather before then....

If you go with the Alpine PMD-B100 GPS that works with the PJS screen, make sure it is mounted in a location you can get to easily, i.e. glove-box etc. The PMD-B100 is a portable GPS that you can use in another car if you wish, but it also freezes sometimes on start up. The GPS can be reset by restarting the car but there is also a reset button on the GPS that is more convenient (if located so you can reach it).

Thanks for this, How much do you reckon I should be looking at paying for the unit incl. installation?

Not sure of the current Alpine PMD-B100 cost as I got one included with a new PJS last year. I think from memory Mitsubishi wanted around 40,000 baht extra for the GPS, reversing camera and some other stuff of less value. The GPS installation includes an external aerial and power supply.

The PMD-B100 and DVA-9861 work OK but Mitsubishi, Alpine, M Tech and various car sound shops I tried could not offer any simple solutions for USB or Bluetooth connectivity, (other than swapping the whole head unit). The PMD-B100 can play music from its SD card but memory is very limited and no random play.

I agree, pity Alpine no longer supply the Bluetooth adapter for the DVA-9861. Mitsu badly need to update the Alpine stereo head unit in the PJS.

There are aftermarket Bluetooth devices that can be added (Parrot, Bury etc) but they are not common in LOS.

The PJS does not use ISO harness plugs so installing the wired in versions would create the same warranty issues as swapping the head unit.

Not sure of the current Alpine PMD-B100 cost as I got one included with a new PJS last year. I think from memory Mitsubishi wanted around 40,000 baht extra for the GPS, reversing camera and some other stuff of less value. The GPS installation includes an external aerial and power supply.

The PMD-B100 and DVA-9861 work OK but Mitsubishi, Alpine, M Tech and various car sound shops I tried could not offer any simple solutions for USB or Bluetooth connectivity, (other than swapping the whole head unit). The PMD-B100 can play music from its SD card but memory is very limited and no random play.

OK thanks, I will get down to Rama IV and have a sniff around. So far I have resorted to burning music to DVD-R disks and playing off of that - with around 5gb they work OK as a kind of flash drive BUT hard to navigate between albums etc

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another solution - download TOMTOM thailand onto your iphone, buy a windscreen doc - works perfectly!

now if you want to enhance things, and use the iphone as an extra music source, buy this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-KCE-422i-IPOD-IPHONE-HIGH-SPEED-CABLE-KCE-4221-/280593977780?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4154b451b4

or if you want to charge and stream music and sound through your speakers, this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-KCE-422i-KCE-4221-iPod-Iphone-4S-4-Connection-Cable-CDA-106Ji-CDA-105Ji-/110947529412?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item19d4fcf2c4

Finally nothing stopping you from using the above setup with an Ipad instead, grab one of these and your good to go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aduro-Universal-Car-Dash-Mount-for-Tablets-Apple-iPad-2-iPad-3-Samsung-Galaxy-/280957815538?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item416a640af2

Personally i have garmin devices and i dont use them anymore, i love the iphone tomtom much more, it works and it works well. plus its safer because i grab my phone and put it in my pocket the moment i step out of the vehicle, so no expensive devices to have to hide.

^ I found the cable solution to be pretty ordinary. Doesn't support charging the device, for one. And you have to control music through the headunit which is a pain ...

Wish there was a simple way to integrate an iphone/pad into the stereo - which charged and used the iphone as the controller.

That is a pretty good looking mount though. Wonder how well it holds on.

Edited by SoloFlyer

^ I found the cable solution to be pretty ordinary. Doesn't support charging the device, for one. And you have to control music through the headunit which is a pain ...

Wish there was a simple way to integrate an iphone/pad into the stereo - which charged and used the iphone as the controller.

That is a pretty good looking mount though. Wonder how well it holds on.

There. Is ,

And can play your vids from iPhone

I bought mine from ramintra opposite tescos ,before and same side as Mitsubishi dealer

1850 baht I think, fitted