First Car Stories

Boyce

1963 ford zephyr, boy in a mans car, at the time, lol..........

My third car was a 1959 Zephyr Lowline 6 pot. Cool ride at the time eh. thumbsup.gif .

yea comftable and the mk3 was the last of the good zephyrs in Aust, the mk4 was a bit of a lemon on the bush roads here, i traded for new 1968 xtV8 3 on the tree falcon, hannnnnnnng on, here we go........

Edited by namoi

1963 ford zephyr, boy in a mans car, at the time, lol..........

My third car was a 1959 Zephyr Lowline 6 pot. Cool ride at the time eh. thumbsup.gif .

TA If you look on Taladrod under Pontiac Fiero(of course) something that might interest yousmile.png .

My first car was a 1947 Hillman Minx Convertible (or Drop Head Coupe as they called it) . It was around 15 years old when I got it, and looked nothing like the attatched photo. It was bought for 20 pounds.

At the time I had never heard of Thailand but I must have getting into the Thai spirit even then as I remember driving it with no tax, insurance or driving license. whistling.gif

post-150466-0-32658300-1345266031_thumb.

That is a nice ride, today it would be an eye catcher with the right paint. thumbsup.gif

Agreed, restored would look great, but bought mine for 20 quid and could best be describes as '2 - tone, rust and mildew ', also it had no heater, uk in the winter can be very cold.

My 1939 Standard 8 had a parafin heater in the back during winter.

Didn't young boys and young men do stupid things in those days? And weren't they fun.

At 23, I suddenly needed a car for work. Passed my test and headed off searching for a car. I'd never driven solo before. A nightmare walking all over, found a place where the guy seemed reasonable. Test drove a VW Polo, absolute piece of shit. Had a Ford Fiesta, 1992, with a funny button on the dash. What's this? The petrol/LPG switch. Being a bit short of cash of a cheap Charlie, I thought great idea. And it was. Saved a load of money, the car went on and on, scrapped it when the alternator went and the car was worth £100. Trips to Devon and Cornwall were cheap as chips due to LPG use until the LPG system failed.

YI225H1H4_1_large.jpg

Since had a Rover 316SEi in British Racing Green no less - clutch failure sent it to scrap, a Saab 900 which I sold for more than I bought it, a BMW 7-Series which was truly a fantastic car (if only the Thais could make something as good), a Nissan NV (no comment, I sold it for as much as I bought it though - first car to cost more than £500) and my present Ford Ranger - my first new car.

I am sort of writing about my life for my Thai son.

I am now 68 and over the years I have owned 66 cars and motorbikes.

Some were legal, some not, some were fun some were real dogs.

At one time I owned a 1958 Wolsley 6/90 which was an ex Metropolitan Police car. I paid about £25 for it, Never taxed or insured it or even did much with it even though I did have some ideas they never worked out.

The good old fun days.

No wife, no girlfriend, plenty of money, few responsibilities and good mates (but crap cars). I still miss them sometimes

At one time I owned a 1958 Wolsley 6/90 which was an ex Metropolitan Police car. I paid about £25 for it, Never taxed or insured it or even did much with it even though I did have some ideas they never worked out.

The good old fun days.

No wife, no girlfriend, plenty of money, few responsibilities and good mates (but crap cars). I still miss them sometimes

But the smell inside that Wolsley was great eh. smile.png

The good old fun days.

But the smell inside that Wolsley was great eh. smile.png

Yeah. One problem was that they cut the bells off of it. Nasty.

Being in the RAF I could always get disinfectant and Racasan free.

I also had one of these .

3824151198_8d3baf9689.jpg

Leyland Marina - mine was an old postoffice panelvan that i got off an auction - was young and naive and did not know enough about cars -

the motor was shot - more miles on her than i can recall and they had taken off the roof rack and Arial leaving 17 holes in the roof

tried my best at becoming first a panel-beater ( fixed holes and sprayed the entire car myself ) end result was nice from far but sadly far from nice :-) me learnt

then came the motor - starting problems

all was still Lucas (battery/starter motor etc etc )

i had to push start this all by myself to go to work in the cold mornings was not fun

replaced all the Lucas parts one by one (as budget could afford ) and yet it would still not start,

alot of fun and alot of good memories.

Mine was a Morris Marina bought for a £100 sloppy gearbox, good engine, steering bushes used to seize up, apart from that good little work horse until it became a Fred Flintstone motor the drivers side floor completely collapsed from the car killing brown stuff, broke it and sold the good bits. smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

My first car was a Testarossa & I had two nice girlfriends

oz_gutsche_testarossa-21.jpg

Well I was 17 & could have dreams biggrin.png

What I woke up with was a primer gray 64 VW Bug that broke on the way home from paying

all of $450 dollars for it.

ฺBlimey, imagine if they new what a torque wrench was for. thumbsup.gif Near heaven for me. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Reliant Robin

Its cheaper and easier and cheaper to make on A frame from the days Reliant started ( this is a later generation one from mid/late 80s-mid 90s I think) and mostly because it allows people with only a motorbike license to drive it without full UK car license despite offering a car sized environment. Popular with small business and elderly people. The Reliant Regal ( older version and panel van) is famous for its roll in 'Only fools and Horses'. Also provides fun for idiots to tip parked ones over (which damages the panels of course).

Just looking at this makes me realize I'm getting older. Dont want to be reminded of that, but anyways, mine was a Simca 1000, bought for 160 guilders.....

Close to the end of production when they had a pile of these as non-sellers I think they painted them bright orange with a couple of black stripes and called them the Simca Rallye 1.

Standard joke at the time was that it wasn't fitted with a speedometer but had a calendar instead.

• Like 1

I also had one of these, chip as chips to run.

reliant-robin-05.jpg

What about your street cred ? laugh.png

that's the car Mr. Bean hates no?

It was a babe Magnet believe it or not....licklips.gif

Nooooooooo, sorry, dooooooooooooooo not believe that for one minute, UNLESS, you lived in North Wales. laugh.png
  • Like 2

First car in the family was a ford Zephyr. Loved that car when I was a boy.

First car i owned was a Hillman Imp. G reg, I believe. Engine at the back. Biggest problems were the rubber doughnuts on the drive shafts breaking apart, especially in the middle of nowhere with no garage in sight. Loved that car though.

post-146137-0-06984700-1346303223_thumb.

I also had one of these, chip as chips to run.

reliant-robin-05.jpg

lol if one of my mates come over to pick me up in that, I would decline and take the bus

There very sought after , and a real bird puller, i wish i had it now it would look good in pattaya the thais would love it.