Never On Sunday

Saan

If you go to immigration on Monday to get an extension you will not pay a fine nor get an overstay stamp.

He passport says he is allowed to stay in Thailand until the 19th. He shows up in Thailand on the 20th. Why would that not be considered an overstay?

If you go to immigration on Monday to get an extension you will not pay a fine nor get an overstay stamp.

He passport says he is allowed to stay in Thailand until the 19th. He shows up in Thailand on the 20th. Why would that not be considered an overstay?

It is,but provided you rectify by extending or leaving they dont charge the one day.

Yes, if you would have showed at immigration on Monday(the week before!) you would have been fine....

Well when this happened to me some Years ago I too was one day late by going on Monday morning and not Sunday which was the seventh day over and I collected a B2,000 fine.

john

Beats me why the Immigration office can't take weekends and public holidays into account when stamping expiry dates on visas and 90-day reporting slips.

Using the OP's dilemma as an example, I have to say that it was fairly clear even a whole year ago that 19 August 2012 would fall on a Sunday. So why tell him to show up on a date when they will definitely be closed? Why not give him an expiry date of Friday 17th or Monday 20th?

Shifting tasks, such as looking up dates three months down the way many hundreds of times each day, to Immigration is easy enough for us to decide - and then we complain of delays.

What's so wrong with us knowing the rules and following them? - particularly since they're easy enough to discover, as demonstrated above. Moreover, even if we don't deal with the date ahead of time (as we should plan to do wherever in the world we are in dealing with visa dates), isn't it swell of Immigration to provide a 'grace' day?

Thais - 1

ThVi Whingers (not OP) - 0

Edited by CMX
  • Like 2

Shifting tasks, such as looking up dates three months down the way many hundreds of times each day, to Immigration is easy enough for us to decide - and then we complain of delays.

Why would Immigration have to do it "many hundreds of times each day"?

They need do it only once a day. At the start of each working day, they could check whether the date 90 days hence and the date one year hence fall on working days or not. If they do, fine. If either or both do not, adjust the date stamps accordingly.

They have to change the dates on the stamps every day in any case. It would take one Immigration officer an extra two minutes a day at the most to look at a calendar at the same time.

I don't mean to whinge. It is a simple and easy improvement to make, at zero cost.

Why would Immigration have to do it "many hundreds of times each day"?

They need do it only once a day. At the start of each working day, they could check whether the date 90 days hence and the date one year hence fall on working days or not. If they do, fine. If either or both do not, adjust the date stamps accordingly.

They have to change the dates on the stamps every day in any case. It would take one Immigration officer an extra two minutes a day at the most to look at a calendar at the same time.

I don't mean to whinge. It is a simple and easy improvement to make, at zero cost.

Personally I check the day my visa runs out and if it falls on a weekend I make sure I go there the Friday before. It takes me about 5 minutes, the majority of which is trying to remember where the hell I put the calendar. Some people always want to have to blame somebody else for their failings.

Beats me why the Immigration office can't take weekends and public holidays into account when stamping expiry dates on visas and 90-day reporting slips.

Using the OP's dilemma as an example, I have to say that it was fairly clear even a whole year ago that 19 August 2012 would fall on a Sunday. So why tell him to show up on a date when they will definitely be closed? Why not give him an expiry date of Friday 17th or Monday 20th?

They not have weekend fingers!