What Kind Of Gems Are Sold In Myanmar Near Ranong?

energyos

I can see nothing bad in buying jewelry.

Do you know anything about buying gemstones? If not you will get ripped off. I have a few friends that have bought rubies up in Myanmar near Mai Sai. But they studied about it and learned from experienced buyers. I've never seem them offered and I would be very weary if offered any gems on my border runs to Kaw Thaung. Although I haven't done a border run for seven years now, maybe things have changed.

what kind of gems can we buy near Ranong in Myanmar

The fake kind.

Semper is right. Fakes abound.

Even if gems are real, this is not the place to buy them. They will be low quality and over priced.

JTC in Bangkok is still the safest place to buy gems...or Chanthaburi gem market if you know your stuff.

...a little gem knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.

first & foremost i would check whether it is actually legal to buy loose gems in burma. as far as i know, a few years back, all gems had to be auctioned off in rangoon.

it used to be circumvented by setting a gem in a worthless brass setting and then bring it out of burma. i'm not even sure that this was legal but that's how they brought them out.

second, kawthoung(the name of the town) has almost nothing to sell, not even a t-shirt with a myanmar print on it. i was there about 4 months ago and i did not notice any shop selling jewellery, much less gemstones. but then again, i also did not look for one.

i think best is to stick to dLock's advice. wait until you come to bangkok and go to the jewelry trade center and see some gems dealers there. at least you have a much better chance not to end up with a synthetic gemstone, which is worthless (and looks the same).

probably an even better opportunity would be to visit the gems & jewelry fair at the impact center in chaeng wattana area (bangkok). the fair is twice annually, used to be in feb/march and september. i think you can find the exact date yourself in the internet. the last day (or two) of the fair used to be open for anyone. hundreds of gemdealers in one place.

good luck