Graphite And Teflon Chain Lubes Anyone?

KRS1

Cleaned the chain today and the rest of the splatter all over the nearby parts, it was a mess and it sucked.

Heard teflon or dry graphite lubes dont attract dust since they're not tacky. Anyone ever tried one of these dry lubes before?

Found a can of some kind of graphite stuff for chains the other day and may try it, but not if i have to spray it every 100 miles though.

Edited by KRS1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How long does it last before you have to relube?

Dust/dirt stick to it? There's suppose to be a Dupont teflon spray that dirt dont stick to.

Edited by KRS1

what i do like on it that its quite dry and doesnt fly off easily so my sprockets and wheels wont get polluted that much.

If some are intressted on the one i posted i can get my hands on for a reasonable price.

Coincidence but I talked to DuPont a couple of weeks ago asking where to buy but they told me it was not sold here. However try Motol (from Tiger) which I am told is good :

http://www.tigermoto...e List 2011.pdf

I saw it at Home Pro a few years ago, may want to go check...More than likely a distributor brought it in and Dupont main head quarters doesnt know about it.

Never heard of Muc Off. For a quick clean i just use wd-40 or excess chain lube and wipe off the dirt with a rag.

Bending the straw helps a bit to keep it off other parts from overspray.

hopefully moving to teflon or graphite will end the dirt problem.

Edited by KRS1

I've been using powdered graphite to lube door and padlocks for years, don't think it would be much good on a drive chain! For motorcycle chain I have used outboard motor grease for years and it does a good job. Mercury is the only grease I have used. You can get it in a tube like toothpaste.

i hear you, the graphite powder would fling off, i tried some to keep my knives smooth, but would keep flinging off. But i ran into some kind of graphite spray in a can the other day made for chains, im going to see what its all about after this current can of lube is used up.

FYI Liquid Wrench now makes a dedicated chain lube, and its just as good as other stuff, but smells like insecticide... ive never really used any kind of lube that lasted more than 700-800 kilometers.

My rule of thumb, is for every 2-3 tanks of fuel, clean and relube the chain.

To add; to stop major fling off in 'as advertised' motorcycle chain lubes, follow the directions to the letter. Most manufacturers require you to ride your bike for 5 minutes (5 kms) after cleaning the chain, which will put heat into the chain allowing the fresh chain lube to semi-dry and adhere to the chain surfaces. Using this method (and not overdoing it with lube coating) will just about ensure a vastly reduced flinging effect.

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

Tutoro ChainOiler, install and forget

Just looked this up - what a great idea (and cheap) from the UK. I talked to them and they will happily post it here for 9 quid registerd mail ! Will get one arranged next week and let you know how I get on

Just went to Lowes today and found a whole stable of Dupont teflon lubricants, they had spray cans and to my surprise squeeze bottles.

I got a squeeze bottle of wax based teflon lubricant designed for chains, its the second from the left.

I'll put some on after this current lube dries up and let yall know how it is, hopefully dirt will stop sticking to the chain and no more cleaning required, and hopefully it will also last 700-800 kilometers (500 miles) per lube.

This stuff smells like coconut oil. Bottle says o-ring safe, and it says to apply to a cold chain (not hot) and wait 30 minutes to dry. Looks milky white inside like the bottle on the right.

aq5mo.jpg

o8lbx.jpg

Edited by KRS1

Nope im in the US right now, but posted the picture so people can identify it....as mentioned it may be able to be found at MT shops.

There's a Home pro on Srinakarin though (seri center BKK), and I've seen different types of teflon "spray" lubricant there before. But not this exact type, people also use the spray with good results.

Dont know about the Homepro in CNX, but if BKK has it CNX should too.

Edited by KRS1

Just went to Lowes today and found a whole stable of Dupont teflon lubricants, they had spray cans and to my surprise squeeze bottles.

I got a squeeze bottle of wax based teflon lubricant designed for chains, its the second from the left.

I'll put some on after this current lube dries up and let yall know how it is, hopefully dirt will stop sticking to the chain and no more cleaning required, and hopefully it will also last 700-800 kilometers (500 miles) per lube.

This stuff smells like coconut oil. Bottle says o-ring safe, and it says to apply to a cold chain (not hot) and wait 30 minutes to dry. Looks milky white inside like the bottle on the right.

aq5mo.jpg

o8lbx.jpg

What a name 'Easy Entry' the mind boggles :D

Put the teflon stuff on today, so well see how long it last.

I'm interested to see how it holds up adhesion wise & under load (high pressure durability), especially as an 'as stated' 'cold' application. Which is generally the case for MTB's.

Edited by Garry

I've been using WD40 on my MTB chain, but I know I should be using something better. I have a tube of bees wax I brought over from Oz last trip....is it worth a try? It's organic, off white in colour.

200 miles so far...The teflon lube in the bottle doesn't go on any easier than a spray, its just as messy since it drips., thats the first observation...and probably gives less coverage because you have to literally eyeball every link you apply it to, very runny stuff...like water.

Best place to apply it is at the top of the back sprocket, since itll drip down to the rearside of the sprocket, and soak the links below. Top of the chain above the swingarm equals alot of waste.

I can tell regular old petroleum based lube is smoother so far, the teflon lube acts like regular chainlube does after about 300 miles on regular lube. The teflon lube does a better job than using motoroil though. Motoroil wouldve dried up or would be close to drying up by now.

125 miles through the mountains yesterday and 105 mph on the freeway, but i think regular old chain lube feels smoother overall, if you keep it lubed up every 300 miles. The first 100 miles on regular lube feels smoother and more fluid.

I'd have to say though that i need to try this stuff and reevaluate after the second application. The first application did not go on a completely clean chain, there was that black gunk on the rollers, so it would not have been able to soak the rollers completely. It'll probably feel a bit smoother after the second application.

Will update in another 300 miles, or when i take a look at the chain tomorrow and see if the black gunk has reduced.

Edited by KRS1