Web Site Creation In Ubuntu

Haydn

Previously I have always used Dreamweaver or Frontpage under MS but now having been running Ubuntu very happily for some time , find that my Web site and pages need renewing -- Is there suitable software to replace my use of Dreamweaver on Ubuntu -- I have tried Blue fish and am not happy with it nor PHP edit.

Yes Adobe Dreamweaver 5.5 runs fine with Wine, only the installation doesn't work so you need a MS Windows computer, I use a MS Windows XP virtual machine with Oracle Virtualbox.

You need to install Adobe Dreamweaver in MS Windows XP, enter your serial number and register it. After that you copy the

program files/adobe folder to .wine/drive_c/program files/adobe

copy the

program files/common folder to .wine/drive_c/common

copy the

/windows/sxs to .wine/drive_c/windows/sxs

and copy the /windows/system32 to .wine/drive_c/windows/system32

Now you have to open regedit on your MS Windows computer and search for adobe, after you find one you click on it and export the entry...(probably you find two entries)

In wine you now can import the register entries by typing wine regedit.exe name-of-the-file.reg

Now if you start Dreamweaver you probably get an error, so you have to download the Adobe Application manager http://www.adobe.com...jsp?ftpID=4773. Install the Adobe Application Manager with Wine and now when Dreamweaver starts you need to enter your serial number again and registration... finished and dreamweaver will run faster than when you use it with MS Windows...

Of course this only works if you have a legal version of Adobe Dreamweaver 5.5.....

post-12170-0-00576100-1345259519_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

Komposer is probably your best bet, but it is nowhere near the quality of tool that Dreamweaver is. If you want to use Dreamweaver then run windows in a virtual machine within Ubuntu and install Dreamweaver there.

To be honest though, the old HTML websites have passed their sell by date anyway; you'd be much better using a Content Management System. Joomla is great and not too tough to learn; Wordpress is a simpler alternative in its ".com" form, and actually very flexible and much more advanced in the ".org" form. See here for comparisons: http://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/

If you are up for the challenge Joomla is better in my opinion and super flexible - you can do anything that you can imagine! see here: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla.html

Thank you gentlemen for your advise -- They say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks well this old dog who first used computers in 1968 -- cards and paper tape input then graduated to ICL 1300's with my first home computers being Sinclair -- I actually installed a 32k had drive in one of those,- and then Amstrad 1512's and OU. Well this old Dog has got to learn new tricks- I had never heard of PHP till yesterday. I have gone right off MS as many of my earlier research file are in MS Works which the new versions of Office will not read But I am able to read them using Open Office. Anyway I will stop rambling about the old days - You have given me a new interest and a new project and many more programs to investigate. Thank you very much

• Like 1

Well if your heading down the PHP path you will no longer need the WYSIWYG elements of dreamweaver so a good text editor is the most important thing.

PHP based colour coding is the most important aspect of any text editor, makes the code so much easier to read and helps highlight errors.

I would re-suggest gedit(text editor).

Simple, fast, reliable and extremely efficient.

A few useful plugins and your preferred colour coding and its perfect.

The ones I use are....(Advanced find/replace, control your tabs, File browser panel, restore tabs, session saver, smart spaces, word completion)

Komposer is probably your best bet, but it is nowhere near the quality of tool that Dreamweaver is. If you want to use Dreamweaver then run windows in a virtual machine within Ubuntu and install Dreamweaver there.

To be honest though, the old HTML websites have passed their sell by date anyway; you'd be much better using a Content Management System. Joomla is great and not too tough to learn; Wordpress is a simpler alternative in its ".com" form, and actually very flexible and much more advanced in the ".org" form. See here for comparisons: http://en.support.wo...com/com-vs-org/

If you are up for the challenge Joomla is better in my opinion and super flexible - you can do anything that you can imagine! see here: http://www.joomla.or...out-joomla.html

I agree w/ everything above. Joomla is fantastic--for larger jobs.

Nowadays there are also a lot of simpler, lightweight CMSs that the OP can get up and running in a blink. Some don't even need SQL or it's optional. The number of extensions offered for each does vary (of course none has the library of Joomla, Wordpress, or Drupal). Using one of these is far better than fooling around Dreamweaver to maintain a small site w/ multiple pages.

Here's a list:

http://www.techwev.com/15-open-source-powerfull-lightweight-cms/

Well if your heading down the PHP path you will no longer need the WYSIWYG elements of dreamweaver so a good text editor is the most important thing.

PHP based colour coding is the most important aspect of any text editor, makes the code so much easier to read and helps highlight errors.

I would re-suggest gedit(text editor).

Simple, fast, reliable and extremely efficient.

A few useful plugins and your preferred colour coding and its perfect.

The ones I use are....(Advanced find/replace, control your tabs, File browser panel, restore tabs, session saver, smart spaces, word completion)

Gedit is nice, but for simple code editor not much you can find is better than Bluefish and it's available on every Linux distribution.

For WYSIWYG HTML you could install BlueGriffon http://bluegriffon.org/ is also very nice...

Thank you again Gentlemen -- I have looked at Kompozer and Wordpress- Joomla I could not download. I have a huge web site on local history but am working on a list of names of people who lived in Pembrokeshire from 1086 onwards -- about 50,000 entries - I was going to include it a separate page in the present site but think it will have to be a separate Web site linked to the original.

I was given the wrong idea about PHP -- I thought I was going to have to learn another coding language -- but after decoding some PHP sites I was very pleased to see my old favourite HTML language.

Thank you again Gentlemen -- I have looked at Kompozer and Wordpress- Joomla I could not download. I have a huge web site on local history but am working on a list of names of people who lived in Pembrokeshire from 1086 onwards -- about 50,000 entries - I was going to include it a separate page in the present site but think it will have to be a separate Web site linked to the original.

I was given the wrong idea about PHP -- I thought I was going to have to learn another coding language -- but after decoding some PHP sites I was very pleased to see my old favourite HTML language.

joomla can't really be 'downloaded' per se, you either need to install it in a VM LAMP stack or use something like turnkeylinux appliance virtual machine (http://www.turnkeylinux.org/joomla). most major web hosts these days have a one-click install as well, just install to a subdirectory for testing.