Patong Electricity Chief Denies Transformer Started Tiger Inferno

webfact

Besides the fact that it might or might not be caused by a transformer, each and every thai town looks bad, is dangerous and shows that authorities does not give a dam_n. Why all those phones lines, electricity lines and so on above ground. It is prone to failures and danger. On top of that there is always some kind of official who thinks that we are interested in their music and speeches by putting loudspeakers up. On the upside it takes not much to cut the wires.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he's correct and he sounds to me like he actually knows what he is talking about, then there was a short curcuit inside the club which caught the foam used throughout the club, on fire. It makes much more sense than any other the other stories I've read...

Hard to belive ANYTHING here when it comes to the good work of Electric or Telephone Companies....I guess we all know what I am talking about if you ever see the lines or just the poles on the roads or the installations inside buildings...... We experience power cuts day by day here and our internet is working TOT...wich means DEAD in German language....

I just hope they will find out what really happen sooner or later - I trust the inspections, they are getting better and better....

Hard to belive ANYTHING here when it comes to the good work of Electric or Telephone Companies....I guess we all know what I am talking about if you ever see the lines or just the poles on the roads or the installations inside buildings...... We experience power cuts day by day here and our internet is working TOT...wich means DEAD in German language....

I just hope they will find out what really happen sooner or later - I trust the inspections, they are getting better and better....

Thailand is not the easiest place for engineering mind :D

....but people reported an explosion...???......if so, there has to be a third explanation......

With so much BS and conflicting statements going around, is it possible it was a terrorist attack, and this is a big cover up to protect Phuket's tourism industry????

Just throwing that thought out there because, for me, something doesn't sound right about this whole incident, especially with reports of an "explosion" just prior to the fire.

I'm sure I will be heavily critisised for this post, but TIT, and one must consider all possibilities.

Sure. Have you considered U.S. drones?

Unlike yours, mine was a serious post.

Also, you would be very surprised at what flies into Udon Thani Airport, out of hours, and what is/who is onboard.

No no, I'm as serious. I believe chances of a U.S. drone attack is as possible as a terrorist attack.

If he's correct and he sounds to me like he actually knows what he is talking about, then there was a short curcuit inside the club which caught the foam used throughout the club, on fire. It makes much more sense than any other the other stories I've read...

And that's more likely, since Thai electricians are not really educated in any way only if the get get a electrical short though them, then they know something is not completely right ;) OMG

And that's more likely, since Thai electricians are not really educated in any way only if the get get a electrical short though them, then they know something is not completely right wink.png OMG

Or maybe Thaksin is to blame.... Sorry for the correction w00t.gif Ok, no more beers for me tonight, goodnight all

What a s... hole. who honestly wants to live/ buy a place in Phuket? Everyone who lives there is up to no good

"Everyone who lives there is up to no good"

That is by far the dumbest thing, I have ever read.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why these transformers explode? have only ever seen it happen here.

I have rarely witnessed a transformer 'explode'. I frequently hear a loud bang and the high voltage fuse popping out of it's holder. The electric truck comes along and pushes the fuse back into the holder without any fuss. This occurs due to overload on demand. Just like a fuse in your home fuse box.

I was walking along beach road in Patong one afternoon when I heard a loud explosion. I turned to see what it was and to my surprise, it was a large LP tank on the roof of a building going up in an inferno. I stood and watched, thinking someone would react to this but nope, most just went about their business. After a few minutes someone came out of the restaurant in the building and looks up at the roof. After about 20 minutes, I left as no one showed up to investigate. Go figure.

I dont understand why the experts are ignoring the fact that the exterior of Tiger and parts of the interior were painted spray foam....exactly the same as the Disco that burnt down at the end of Soi Katoy (crocodile) around 7 years ago...in fact the fat French manager of that Disco at the time is Piya's best buddy who looks for foreigners to basically part with money.

I hope they all get sent down Patong Tessabarn engineers, Tiger Management + the Thai partners as the full business stinks, first it's Tiger Pub...when it is obviously a Discotheque (requiring a Disco licence NOT an entertainment 4 licence if they even have one of those), told by management that the place was closed and people waiting for the rain to stop while one of the injured states very clearly that she was dancing to the Live band at the front of the stage when someone shouted fire!!!!!

Agree! Total BS! They just want to cover their ass in their statement.

Also a new lighting system just installed - and for some reason quickly removed after the fire - 'may' just have something to do with it.

Exactly! I've been a union stagehand for more than 20 years and in the business for over 35 years. Lighting systems are power hogs. Although there are some new LED stage light that are much more efficient than fresnel, elliptical stage lights, sealed beam (par cans) or xenon moving lights. In the old days we still used carbon arc spotlights, until they were outlawed.

Jimi007,

Would you happen to know where fresnel and elliptical stage lighting instruments can be purchased in Thailand? I would prefer used but would be interested to know about new as well. Thanks

I was walking along beach road in Patong one afternoon when I heard a loud explosion. I turned to see what it was and to my surprise, it was a large LP tank on the roof of a building going up in an inferno. I stood and watched, thinking someone would react to this but nope, most just went about their business. After a few minutes someone came out of the restaurant in the building and looks up at the roof. After about 20 minutes, I left as no one showed up to investigate. Go figure.

What is LP tank?

As stated in some articles, the PEA is responsible for power until it hits a building power distribution system, where shoddy work and short cuts end up endangering the public because of uneducated, unlicensed "electricians!"

What is LP tank?

Liquid Propane.

What is LP tank?

Liquid Propane.

Thanks!

Also a new lighting system just installed - and for some reason quickly removed after the fire - 'may' just have something to do with it.

Exactly! I've been a union stagehand for more than 20 years and in the business for over 35 years. Lighting systems are power hogs. Although there are some new LED stage light that are much more efficient than fresnel, elliptical stage lights, sealed beam (par cans) or xenon moving lights. In the old days we still used carbon arc spotlights, until they were outlawed.

Jimi007,

Would you happen to know where fresnel and elliptical stage lighting instruments can be purchased in Thailand? I would prefer used but would be interested to know about new as well. Thanks

Sorry, I'm not in the business here... And I rather doubt I would ever want to be from what I've seen with the lack of knowledge or professionalism...

Condolences to the families of those who died.

Here are some of my observations from that night. I was in my condo, 200-300 meters from Bangla. I didn't know there was a fire until 7ish the next morning, so I didn't have the notice to 'remember to remember', but this is what I remember from 2 nights ago, when it happened.

The power in my condo spiked on and off about 3 times, (meaning the lights and tv flashed off and the internet was down while the router rebooted). I remember the sound of heavy rain. I remember hearing 2 big bangs, a few minutes apart (how many, I can't remember). After the second BANG, I went out on the balcony. I saw that the rest of Patong (that I could see) was also without power, that it was raining, and I saw some lightning too.

It rained hard, but I don't know how long. There was also a lightning storm.

Power spiked a few times (cut and back on within 1 second), and then went down (if I was to estimate, for about an hour).

There were two big bangs, loud enough to be heard a block or two away with my sliding glass door shut.

I think it's terribly fishy that the "New Tiger" is just across the street and has to be ready to open.

Funny how witnesses heard 2 transformers exploding ( What does an exploding transformer sound like ???? Bet nobody knows !! ) but the Electricity Chief can show them both working. Who is telling porkies ??

I have seen them and heard them explode, There is a flash and some sparks flying and often hot oil, If one of these transformers had exploded it would,nt be in working order now,

I think this PEA guy is living dangerous as it seems he,s blown their first excuse out by claiming they are still in working order but i,m sure they have a backup plan or two,

Does anyone know why these transformers explode? have only ever seen it happen here.

In my past 5 years of living here I have seen / heard 2 explode here in Saraphi and 1 in Chang Phueak Area.. Huay Khaow Road .... quite loud and noticeable and everybody reacted to it because of the loud noise it causes ... reasons are never given and nobody ever even asks ... they just accept it ... The one on Huay Khaow was while I was at the hair salon and had just finished washing my hair and the owner said sorry but will not be able to dry your hair cause this is a big one and most likely power won't be back till tomorrow since the transfrmer down the road just blew up ... Why did it blow up ...? Answer = Don't know but it happens and takes at least 1/2 day to repair .." whistling.gif

Funny how witnesses heard 2 transformers exploding ( What does an exploding transformer sound like ???? Bet nobody knows !! ) but the Electricity Chief can show them both working. Who is telling porkies ??

I have seen them and heard them explode, There is a flash and some sparks flying and often hot oil, If one of these transformers had exploded it would,nt be in working order now,

I think this PEA guy is living dangerous as it seems he,s blown their first excuse out by claiming they are still in working order but i,m sure they have a backup plan or two,

In my past 5 years of living here I have seen / heard 2 explode here in Saraphi and 1 in Chang Phueak Area.. Huay Khaow Road .... quite loud and noticeable and everybody reacted to it because of the loud noise it causes ... reasons are never given and nobody ever even asks ... they just accept it ... The one on Huay Khaow was while I was at the hair salon and had just finished washing my hair and the owner said sorry but will not be able to dry your hair cause this is a big one and most likely power won't be back till tomorrow since the transfrmer down the road just blew up ... Why did it blow up ...? Answer = Don't know but it happens and takes at least 1/2 day to repair .." whistling.gif

I'm sorry, I don't understand what your post has to do with Phuket. Do you live in Phuket? Do you actually know anything about this province? The power grid has been and is still being upgraded in some areas. From when I moved here seven years ago the power system has been ungraded dramatically! The PEA is doing a decent job in my opinion!

I'm sorry, I don't understand what your post has to do with Phuket. Do you live in Phuket? Do you actually know anything about this province? The power grid has been and is still being upgraded in some areas. From when I moved here seven years ago the power system has been ungraded dramatically! The PEA is doing a decent job in my opinion!

Although the below also refers to a non Phuket transformer explosion, perhaps if you read it enough times you can glean a microgram of relevance to understanding what may have occurred on Bangla Rd.

A transformer from Consolidated Edison

(Con Ed), New York City's sole electricity supplier, exploded from beneath the sidewalk in an underground vault yesterday, creating a fiery blast that shattered windows multiple stories high. Though no injuries were reported, offices and stores at the corner of 20th Street were left smoldering.

Investigators are still trying to answer the question: Just what lead this transformer to explode? Â Â

Electrical transformers transfer energy between circuits, switching energy from one voltage to another. But when flooded with too much electricity, the sudden surge can cause a transformer explosion. As transformers detect an energy spike, they're programmed to turn off, but it can take up to 60 milliseconds for the shutdown. However fast those milliseconds may seem, they still may be too slow to stop the electrical overload.

A chamber full of several gallons of mineral oil keeps the circuits cool, but given too much electricity, the circuits fry and melt, failing in a shower of sparks and setting the mineral oil aflame. Mineral oil, in turn, combusts explosively and rockets transformer scything into the air.

All it takes is a trigger, a corroded or faulty wire, and the circuits surge will get ahead of the breaker--and in New York City, the previous day's snowstorm could have done the trick. Underground electric systems often suffer problems after heavy snowfall, says Bob McGee, a spokesperson for Con Ed. While salting streets may make vehicles and pedestrians safer, the salt can create hazardous conditions for underground electrical systems--salt that slips through manholes can corrode wires. Â

Manhattan houses 35,000 underground and 47,000 overhead transformers for its 10 million residents, and of those 82,000, about 35 fail every year, McGee says. A failure doesn't always equate to a fire or explosion either; in fact, in the steadily decreasing number of failures per year, such an explosion is rare. Â Â Â

Though the snowstorm may have had something to do with the incident, it will take time to analyze just what went wrong. If it turns out the salt from the snowstorm wasn't to blame, it may have been an older transformer. These can explode when their insulating materials begin to fail. This happens as cellulose and oil absorb water over time and degrade cellulose's ability to insulate, triggering an explosion.

The U.S. expanded its electrical structure in the 1950s and '60s, and now, most older transformers have met or are nearing the end of their operational lives of between thirty to forty years.

Edited by atyclb

The transformer that powered the Tiger Discotheque is located on a roof above a bar. I have seen and heard transformers explode in Patong before, There is a loud explosion or “Boom noise” usually this occurs due to current overload or power surges which are common in Patong . Possibly a power surge was created after the power (transformer) was turned back on which could have cause a short circuit inside the club. This power surge could have caused the lighting system to catch on fire. And explains why lights were falling from the ceiling. The entire and interior of the bar was painted with spray foam. It was used throughout the interior and exterior of club as decoration. This material is highly flammable and would have cause the fire to burn very quickly- There are other bars in Patong (The New Tiger Bar) using this foam for decoration which are also at risk of a very fast burning fire and should be ordered to have this foam removed as soon as possible to avoid another disaster. Condolences to those who have past in this tragic event

• Like 1

....but people reported an explosion...???......if so, there has to be a third explanation......

With so much BS and conflicting statements going around, is it possible it was a terrorist attack, and this is a big cover up to protect Phuket's tourism industry????

Just throwing that thought out there because, for me, something doesn't sound right about this whole incident, especially with reports of an "explosion" just prior to the fire.

I'm sure I will be heavily critisised for this post, but TIT, and one must consider all possibilities.

Sure. Have you considered U.S. drones?

Unlike yours, mine was a serious post.

Also, you would be very surprised at what flies into Udon Thani Airport, out of hours, and what is/who is onboard.

Do tell.

Can I state the obvious: how could a high power transformer be so close to a pub as to cause a fire inside it? This sounds like BS. Furthermore how can the owner be so sure about what happened, with his lawyers guidence, and why are the police so disinterested and slow in investigating what really happened when so many people were killed and injured?

• Like 1

Number 1. The transformer didn't explode. It is still functioning. I am an electrician and if the transformer exploded it would have disintegrated.

Number 2. A power surge would have most certainly occured after the power came back on as no one turns off the power when a "black out" occurs and the sudden intrduction of a massive load will most certainly cause the voltage to "dip" and then rise again as it attempts to "level" itself out. This can often cause an overvoltage for a brief period.

Number 3, Despite what peoples impression is about the cabling on power poles it is actually quite sound. The methods used by the supply authority are pretty well up to industry standards. The telephone system, which most of us see is another matter. It is such a mess that it would be far easier to pull in another wire than to find the fault in one. Thus adding to the mess.

Number 4. What happens after the point of entry of the electrical system into a building is where the problems in this country occur. There are no rules. There are no licenses. There is no (or very little) training. To become an electrician you just have to know how to break a circuit so the light goes out.

Number 5. The most common way to prevent a circuit breaker from tripping in this country is to put in a bigger one. The circuit breaker is the "weak link in the chain". It is supposed to trip when there is a fault or overload. If it does not the next weak link will, probably the cable which now has a lower current rating than the circuit breaker.

Number 6. The concept of grounding, making a sound join, the reason for using double insulated cables, bushing cable penetrations, running cables in a way they cannot be damaged etc. escapes most Thai "electricians".

Number 7. "Fault currents" generated by short circuits can reach horrendous proportions. Imagine a dam across a river, drill a hole in the dam. no matter how much pressure (the voltage) you put the water under you will only get a certain amount of water to flow through the hole (this is the current). Now imagine you suddenly pulled away the dam wall.......this is the fault current and it will continue until something gives way and stops it.

Conclusion : Transformers do explode but it should be rare as they usually have protective devices on both the primary and secondary side for both of these to fail would be uncommon, not impossible especially if one that was rated incorrectly was used. The transformer would need to be replaced if it did explode. Shoddy practices combined with a huge load coming on line suddenly followed by a voltage surge could easily cause an explosion at a switch board or other point especially if incorrect or oversized protection was used. Under sized cabling / oversized circuit breakers would certainly cause a fire (this should be easy to determine as the cable burns from the inside in comparison to having been burnt from a fire from the outside. The difference is so obvious anyone that has seen the 2 side by side would recognise it instantly. Fire forensic people certainly would.

I hope this is informative, I have tried to keep it as non technical as possible and have done this in order to aid people to draw their own opinion as to what may have happened and to eliminate some of the conjecture going on in this thread.

Good post and concur with these statements and would like to add that when folk hear an explosion/bang near a transformer it is very often the pole fuse which blows. I have personally seen this here on many occasions, one in Bangla at 2.15am just yesterday. Many causes such as an overload on one phase; loose fittings/contacts causing overheating and arking; dust and dirt combined with high temps and just plain poor workmanship.

You will certainly know when a transformer explodes as it is like a bomb going off and the remedial work will take around a day or so, whereas a pole fuse can be replaced very quickly when the maintenance people arrive.

Perhaps a pole fuse (or two) blew giving rise to a power surge exacerbating already overloaded circuits and poor workmanship?? Hopefully we will know soon.

I love how the Phuket haters take every opportunity to shit talk. Yes a lot of bad stuff happens in Patong and it seems to attract a lot of vermin. Patong is a small piece of Phuket. There are plenty more places in Phuket that aren't like that and are blissfully free of all that crap.

I think pitied, rather that criticized.

Well, I suppose the Bali bombings could have been a lightening strike as well, just to keep the tourist money coming in.

I suppose you will also tell me Lee Havey Oswald shot JFK with a bullet that could turn corners and Iraq had WMD.

Ahhhh, ignorance is bliss.

<deleted> are you on? Unbelievable!

some one who is thinking? even around corners? read his post, try to understand what he is talking about and imagine its true.... sry, but in every murder the police asks first who will gain from it....and I am not totally sure here, but I dont belive its an Electric company or the government Electric company (which work normally very good)

The transformer that powered the Tiger Discotheque is located on a roof above a bar. I have seen and heard transformers explode in Patong before, There is a loud explosion or “Boom noise” usually this occurs due to current overload or power surges which are common in Patong . Possibly a power surge was created after the power (transformer) was turned back on which could have cause a short circuit inside the club. This power surge could have caused the lighting system to catch on fire. And explains why lights were falling from the ceiling. The entire and interior of the bar was painted with spray foam. It was used throughout the interior and exterior of club as decoration. This material is highly flammable and would have cause the fire to burn very quickly- There are other bars in Patong (The New Tiger Bar) using this foam for decoration which are also at risk of a very fast burning fire and should be ordered to have this foam removed as soon as possible to avoid another disaster. Condolences to those who have past in this tragic event

The same happened here in Chalong on the same night with several very short power outages during the night plus one which started around 2am & lasted about 45 minutes(this is normally the standard time it takes them to get it back up & running).

Number 1. The transformer didn't explode. It is still functioning. I am an electrician and if the transformer exploded it would have disintegrated.

Number 2. A power surge would have most certainly occured after the power came back on as no one turns off the power when a "black out" occurs and the sudden intrduction of a massive load will most certainly cause the voltage to "dip" and then rise again as it attempts to "level" itself out. This can often cause an overvoltage for a brief period.

Number 3, Despite what peoples impression is about the cabling on power poles it is actually quite sound. The methods used by the supply authority are pretty well up to industry standards. The telephone system, which most of us see is another matter. It is such a mess that it would be far easier to pull in another wire than to find the fault in one. Thus adding to the mess.

Number 4. What happens after the point of entry of the electrical system into a building is where the problems in this country occur. There are no rules. There are no licenses. There is no (or very little) training. To become an electrician you just have to know how to break a circuit so the light goes out.

Number 5. The most common way to prevent a circuit breaker from tripping in this country is to put in a bigger one. The circuit breaker is the "weak link in the chain". It is supposed to trip when there is a fault or overload. If it does not the next weak link will, probably the cable which now has a lower current rating than the circuit breaker.

Number 6. The concept of grounding, making a sound join, the reason for using double insulated cables, bushing cable penetrations, running cables in a way they cannot be damaged etc. escapes most Thai "electricians".

Number 7. "Fault currents" generated by short circuits can reach horrendous proportions. Imagine a dam across a river, drill a hole in the dam. no matter how much pressure (the voltage) you put the water under you will only get a certain amount of water to flow through the hole (this is the current). Now imagine you suddenly pulled away the dam wall.......this is the fault current and it will continue until something gives way and stops it.

Conclusion : Transformers do explode but it should be rare as they usually have protective devices on both the primary and secondary side for both of these to fail would be uncommon, not impossible especially if one that was rated incorrectly was used. The transformer would need to be replaced if it did explode. Shoddy practices combined with a huge load coming on line suddenly followed by a voltage surge could easily cause an explosion at a switch board or other point especially if incorrect or oversized protection was used. Under sized cabling / oversized circuit breakers would certainly cause a fire (this should be easy to determine as the cable burns from the inside in comparison to having been burnt from a fire from the outside. The difference is so obvious anyone that has seen the 2 side by side would recognise it instantly. Fire forensic people certainly would.

I hope this is informative, I have tried to keep it as non technical as possible and have done this in order to aid people to draw their own opinion as to what may have happened and to eliminate some of the conjecture going on in this thread.

Excellent explanation. Item 5 is all too common.