Patong Electricity Chief Denies Transformer Started Tiger Inferno

webfact

Number 1. The transformer didn't explode. It is still functioning. I am an electrician and if the transformer exploded it would have disintegrated.

Number 2. A power surge would have most certainly occured after the power came back on as no one turns off the power when a "black out" occurs and the sudden intrduction of a massive load will most certainly cause the voltage to "dip" and then rise again as it attempts to "level" itself out. This can often cause an overvoltage for a brief period.

Number 3, Despite what peoples impression is about the cabling on power poles it is actually quite sound. The methods used by the supply authority are pretty well up to industry standards. The telephone system, which most of us see is another matter. It is such a mess that it would be far easier to pull in another wire than to find the fault in one. Thus adding to the mess.

Number 4. What happens after the point of entry of the electrical system into a building is where the problems in this country occur. There are no rules. There are no licenses. There is no (or very little) training. To become an electrician you just have to know how to break a circuit so the light goes out.

Number 5. The most common way to prevent a circuit breaker from tripping in this country is to put in a bigger one. The circuit breaker is the "weak link in the chain". It is supposed to trip when there is a fault or overload. If it does not the next weak link will, probably the cable which now has a lower current rating than the circuit breaker.

Number 6. The concept of grounding, making a sound join, the reason for using double insulated cables, bushing cable penetrations, running cables in a way they cannot be damaged etc. escapes most Thai "electricians".

Number 7. "Fault currents" generated by short circuits can reach horrendous proportions. Imagine a dam across a river, drill a hole in the dam. no matter how much pressure (the voltage) you put the water under you will only get a certain amount of water to flow through the hole (this is the current). Now imagine you suddenly pulled away the dam wall.......this is the fault current and it will continue until something gives way and stops it.

Conclusion : Transformers do explode but it should be rare as they usually have protective devices on both the primary and secondary side for both of these to fail would be uncommon, not impossible especially if one that was rated incorrectly was used. The transformer would need to be replaced if it did explode. Shoddy practices combined with a huge load coming on line suddenly followed by a voltage surge could easily cause an explosion at a switch board or other point especially if incorrect or oversized protection was used. Under sized cabling / oversized circuit breakers would certainly cause a fire (this should be easy to determine as the cable burns from the inside in comparison to having been burnt from a fire from the outside. The difference is so obvious anyone that has seen the 2 side by side would recognise it instantly. Fire forensic people certainly would.

I hope this is informative, I have tried to keep it as non technical as possible and have done this in order to aid people to draw their own opinion as to what may have happened and to eliminate some of the conjecture going on in this thread.

Number 3. Question, in which country? Uganda or USA `? sorry but I NEVER saw "installations" like this in Europe...NEVER....and in no other country I have to read every month that people died of poor Electric work....

Number4: absolutely right, another thing they have to know is, when constantly shorts are happend, just use a bigger fuse, if it doesnt help, use no fuse at all, just use big copper wire to bridge the circuit breaker rolleyes.gif

Btw. what most people belive is an exploding transformer ist mostly a fuse.....they explode in our road here once a week with a fukcn loud BOOOOoom ...normally after an hour the Electric company comes with a 10m long stick and a new one to push it in again for another week. The Transformer in the picture is absolutely OK....belive me, you will see it on the pics when it was a damaged or exploded one....

Phuket is experiencing all in all a bad power supply, too many houses were build and too many aircons and other powerwasters are meeting to low power supply....they are working on it and to sit with candles sometimes can be romantic clap2.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know why these transformers explode? have only ever seen it happen here.

I have rarely witnessed a transformer 'explode'. I frequently hear a loud bang and the high voltage fuse popping out of it's holder. The electric truck comes along and pushes the fuse back into the holder without any fuss. This occurs due to overload on demand. Just like a fuse in your home fuse box.

transformers do explode once in a while. i experienced one years ago in Nigeria in a factory. the picture below is from google images.

why-rte00019p14_web202.jpg

With so much BS and conflicting statements going around, is it possible it was a terrorist attack, and this is a big cover up to protect Phuket's tourism industry????

Just throwing that thought out there because, for me, something doesn't sound right about this whole incident, especially with reports of an "explosion" just prior to the fire.

I'm sure I will be heavily critisised for this post, but TIT, and one must consider all possibilities.

I think pitied, rather that criticized.

Well, I suppose the Bali bombings could have been a lightening strike as well, just to keep the tourist money coming in.

I suppose you will also tell me Lee Havey Oswald shot JFK with a bullet that could turn corners and Iraq had WMD.

Ahhhh, ignorance is bliss.

<deleted> are you on? Unbelievable!

You are right. What was I thinking???? It was definately a lightening bolt that hit a transformer, causing it to explode, but the transformer is somehow still working fine.

Case closed.

You really should be a Thai policeman.

• Like 1

Funny how witnesses heard 2 transformers exploding ( What does an exploding transformer sound like ???? Bet nobody knows !! ) but the Electricity Chief can show them both working. Who is telling porkies ??

Rain and a short can cause a loud pop and spark with a resuting surge downstream without hurting the transformer. Actual exploding transformer...they are full of oil...used to be PCB. Highly unlikely one would explode...physically and electrically

The transformer that powered the Tiger Discotheque is located on a roof above a bar. I have seen and heard transformers explode in Patong before, There is a loud explosion or “Boom noise” usually this occurs due to current overload or power surges which are common in Patong . Possibly a power surge was created after the power (transformer) was turned back on which could have cause a short circuit inside the club. This power surge could have caused the lighting system to catch on fire. And explains why lights were falling from the ceiling. The entire and interior of the bar was painted with spray foam. It was used throughout the interior and exterior of club as decoration. This material is highly flammable and would have cause the fire to burn very quickly- There are other bars in Patong (The New Tiger Bar) using this foam for decoration which are also at risk of a very fast burning fire and should be ordered to have this foam removed as soon as possible to avoid another disaster. Condolences to those who have past in this tragic event

The same happened here in Chalong on the same night with several very short power outages during the night plus one which started around 2am & lasted about 45 minutes(this is normally the standard time it takes them to get it back up & running).

Most foams do not actually burn unless another source provides fire. Foam alone will go right out by itself. The danger of the foam is the fumes given off when they are exposed to fire directly...Cyanide gas in some types. The "Mad Russian Mine Restaurant' fire caused these to be banned in many countries without proper fire protection layer placed over it. Mostly avoided in exposed situations. Foam today for insulation is mostly isocyuranate and used thoughout the industry, but not exposed.

Great pointers RigPig....here's my reflections...

I have seen only 3 transformers explode in my 61 years of breathing air.

The first was a transformer up on a creosote treated power pole in

Santa Barbara California when I was a kid. Most of the pole was

destroyed.

Since my family & I were all outside having a BBQ and saw it go

it looked very much like this...but at night.

post-146250-0-00649500-1345352203_thumb.

pic from Google

The second one was when I was in the military and we caused

it to blow with a little help from 12oz of C-4...not surprisingly it

also looked like this...daylight too.

post-146250-0-00649500-1345352203_thumb.

The third was on Bali just a month ago and that was more

of a boil over and flash fire than an explosion and due mainly

to the plethora of cables illegally hooked to it and the demands

downstream.

I have also seen in many places where people play electrician

and directly splice into power junctions to get the electrics

into their homes/businesses and this usually causes; at first

a whisp of smoke then some thermal reddening then flames

at the place of mass connections. This happens a lot in

Cambodia by the way...and all over the world where there

once was severe conflict and there still is much poverty.

Just me sip satang....

Edited by sunshine51

Funny how witnesses heard 2 transformers exploding ( What does an exploding transformer sound like ???? Bet nobody knows !! ) but the Electricity Chief can show them both working. Who is telling porkies ??

Rain and a short can cause a loud pop and spark with a resuting surge downstream without hurting the transformer. Actual exploding transformer...they are full of oil...used to be PCB. Highly unlikely one would explode...physically and electrically

ahh ok, highly unlikely.... HOW you explain the pictures then another member here posted some posts up....?... thx for the info btw, I thought there is still PCB used in this Transformers....a highly poisonous thing btw..

My girlfriends mother was on the phone to her very early yesterday morning to tell her that the girl they may have identified by her watch is her neighbor back in the village.

The police have also contacted the family and said that they won't really know until the body was sent to Bkk.

The thing is that the rumor going around the village is the cause of the fire was a bomb.

I think I will go with the totally bodged up wiring and the "She'll be right" attitude to most things out here

My girlfriends mother was on the phone to her very early yesterday morning to tell her that the girl they may have identified by her watch is her neighbor back in the village.

The police have also contacted the family and said that they won't really know until the body was sent to Bkk.

The thing is that the rumor going around the village is the cause of the fire was a bomb.

I think I will go with the totally bodged up wiring and the "She'll be right" attitude to most things out here

So NKM's thinking is on par with that of the Thais in her village. That says it all.

Number 1. The transformer didn't explode. It is still functioning. I am an electrician and if the transformer exploded it would have disintegrated.

Number 2. A power surge would have most certainly occured after the power came back on as no one turns off the power when a "black out" occurs and the sudden intrduction of a massive load will most certainly cause the voltage to "dip" and then rise again as it attempts to "level" itself out. This can often cause an overvoltage for a brief period.

Number 3, Despite what peoples impression is about the cabling on power poles it is actually quite sound. The methods used by the supply authority are pretty well up to industry standards. The telephone system, which most of us see is another matter. It is such a mess that it would be far easier to pull in another wire than to find the fault in one. Thus adding to the mess.

Number 4. What happens after the point of entry of the electrical system into a building is where the problems in this country occur. There are no rules. There are no licenses. There is no (or very little) training. To become an electrician you just have to know how to break a circuit so the light goes out.

Number 5. The most common way to prevent a circuit breaker from tripping in this country is to put in a bigger one. The circuit breaker is the "weak link in the chain". It is supposed to trip when there is a fault or overload. If it does not the next weak link will, probably the cable which now has a lower current rating than the circuit breaker.

Number 6. The concept of grounding, making a sound join, the reason for using double insulated cables, bushing cable penetrations, running cables in a way they cannot be damaged etc. escapes most Thai "electricians".

Number 7. "Fault currents" generated by short circuits can reach horrendous proportions. Imagine a dam across a river, drill a hole in the dam. no matter how much pressure (the voltage) you put the water under you will only get a certain amount of water to flow through the hole (this is the current). Now imagine you suddenly pulled away the dam wall.......this is the fault current and it will continue until something gives way and stops it.

Conclusion : Transformers do explode but it should be rare as they usually have protective devices on both the primary and secondary side for both of these to fail would be uncommon, not impossible especially if one that was rated incorrectly was used. The transformer would need to be replaced if it did explode. Shoddy practices combined with a huge load coming on line suddenly followed by a voltage surge could easily cause an explosion at a switch board or other point especially if incorrect or oversized protection was used. Under sized cabling / oversized circuit breakers would certainly cause a fire (this should be easy to determine as the cable burns from the inside in comparison to having been burnt from a fire from the outside. The difference is so obvious anyone that has seen the 2 side by side would recognise it instantly. Fire forensic people certainly would.

I hope this is informative, I have tried to keep it as non technical as possible and have done this in order to aid people to draw their own opinion as to what may have happened and to eliminate some of the conjecture going on in this thread.

Number 3. Question, in which country? Uganda or USA `? sorry but I NEVER saw "installations" like this in Europe...NEVER....and in no other country I have to read every month that people died of poor Electric work....

Number4: absolutely right, another thing they have to know is, when constantly shorts are happend, just use a bigger fuse, if it doesnt help, use no fuse at all, just use big copper wire to bridge the circuit breaker rolleyes.gif

Btw. what most people belive is an exploding transformer ist mostly a fuse.....they explode in our road here once a week with a fukcn loud BOOOOoom ...normally after an hour the Electric company comes with a 10m long stick and a new one to push it in again for another week. The Transformer in the picture is absolutely OK....belive me, you will see it on the pics when it was a damaged or exploded one....

Phuket is experiencing all in all a bad power supply, too many houses were build and too many aircons and other powerwasters are meeting to low power supply....they are working on it and to sit with candles sometimes can be romantic clap2.gif

In answer to your query on number 3 try following the wires, it may look rough but they do actually ground transformers, they do "protect" the cabling where necessary, they use the correct insulators. Cables have been run overhead in many countries for years due to cost and because cables buried in the ground can have other problems which are easily avoided by running overhead, The main reason really for going under ground is it is more aesthetically pleasing (better on the eye). It is no safer, cables run under ground are damaged much more often that overhead cables where you can see them.

As I said most of the "mess" on power poles are the telecommunications wires.

I do agree that the bang is usually a pole fuse and usually repaired quickly. This also indicates they are using fuses sized correctly and they are doing their job. If a transformer explodes (as in another post) you will know about it and the destruction (as mentioned) is quite considerable.

The majority of electrical problems here are after the supply, in fact it is quite scary, their comprehension of the possible consequences is nil. We all know the ability to look ahead here is more than dismal. Live for the moment, why spend the extra to do it right and make it last.......it works doesn't it?

Grounding.........well that's an issue all it's own !!!

• Like 1

I love how the Phuket haters take every opportunity to shit talk. Yes a lot of bad stuff happens in Patong and it seems to attract a lot of vermin. Patong is a small piece of Phuket. There are plenty more places in Phuket that aren't like that and are blissfully free of all that crap.

agree +1

What the electricity chief says makes sense... as with the way he explained it. Sure sounds like he's an authentic electrician/electrical engineer -- that's pretty surprising to see in Thailand!

..now on the other hand... the reports of lightning and all... sound like the usual cock n' bull, finger-pointing Thai stuff that you always get when things like this happen. Not surprising at all.

In my school there's a circuit breaker in our ICT lab (a room that draws a pretty large amount of power with all those funny things that turn on and make strange lights... what are they -- oh yeah -- COMPUTERS) that's been damaged and left there for about five years now. Every year I tell our boss it needs to be replaced.

Each time I'm ignored.

But of course, I'm just a silly farang.

Edited by theajarn

So NKM's thinking is on par with that of the Thais in her village. That says it all.

So, everyone should believe that a lightening bolt, and an exploding transformer that is still working, caused the fire????

The reasons given for this fire are similar to the BS explanation of "it's just a coincidence" given for the deaths of many tourists at

The Down Town Inn - Chiang Mai. Ahhhh, let me guess, you actually did thnk it was just a "coincidence."

In my time in Bangkok I've heard dozens of transformers that have gone Boom! due to overload. Mostly when there's heavy rain about.

Talk of bombs is as stupid as it gets. They would know within hours if it had been a bomb and would have no reason on earth to cover it up. In fact the owners would have been happy at that sort of news knowing that they were off the hook.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying for one minute the owners were to blame for how the fire started but it doesn't end there. Apparently the electrics went down in the surrounding area and the fire started when the power went back on. A sudden surge of power and a bit of lose wiring is all it takes.

A new lighting system had been installed I am reading, all it takes is some Thai worker to make a simple mistake and that could have been the cause.

I'm not an electrician and I'm sure the owner isn't either so blaming him/them for how the fire started seems harsh.

However reading some of the posts on here it would seem the walls were made of combustible foam and that is scary if true. That's the Fire Departments responsibility to check these things which they do every year.

If they passed the building as up to standard and it turns out it was not then can see both the Fire Department officers and the owner being for the high jump if the authorities carry out a proper investigation.

Too much to hope for? Let's hope not

RIP those who lost their lives

Edited by Tanlic

You are right. What was I thinking???? It was definately a lightening bolt that hit a transformer, causing it to explode, but the transformer is somehow still working fine.

Case closed.

So, everyone should believe that a lightening bolt, and an exploding transformer that is still working, caused the fire????

The reasons given for this fire are similar to the BS explanation of "it's just a coincidence" given for the deaths of many tourists at

The Down Town Inn - Chiang Mai. Ahhhh, let me guess, you actually did thnk it was just a "coincidence."

Do you just like to write BS? It doesn't seem as though you don't read anything before you post. This thread is entitled "Patong Electricity Chief Denies Transformer Started Tiger Inferno." I agreed with him. I guess you missed that part?

Since we're bandying theories around, let me add another: Sabotage.

Remote, perhaps. Yet more than a few times, I've read about abusive happenings in discos in that region (people getting beat up by bouncers in clubs, for example). Humiliating and harmful occurances could prompt some wronged person to consider sabotage.

Case closed.

Do you just like to write BS? It doesn't seem as though you don't read anything before you post. This thread is entitled "Patong Electricity Chief Denies Transformer Started Tiger Inferno." I agreed with him. I guess you missed that part?

Sorry. Re read my post and I can't edit it now. It should have read:

Do you just like to write BS? It doesn't seem as though you read anything before you post. This thread is entitled "

Patong Electricity Chief Denies Transformer Started Tiger Inferno." I agreed with him. I guess you missed that part?

In my time in Bangkok I've heard dozens of transformers that have gone Boom! due to overload. Mostly when there's heavy rain about.

Talk of bombs is as stupid as it gets. They would know within hours if it had been a bomb and would have no reason on earth to cover it up. In fact the owners would have been happy at that sort of news knowing that they were off the hook.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying for one minute the owners were to blame for how the fire started but it doesn't end there. Apparently the electrics went down in the surrounding area and the fire started when the power went back on. A sudden surge of power and a bit of lose wiring is all it takes.

A new lighting system had been installed I am reading, all it takes is some Thai worker to make a simple mistake and that could have been the cause.

I'm not an electrician and I'm sure the owner isn't either so blaming him/them for how the fire started seems harsh.

However reading some of the posts on here it would seem the walls were made of combustible foam and that is scary if true. That's the Fire Departments responsibility to check these things which they do every year.

If they passed the building as up to standard and it turns out it was not then can see both the Fire Department officers and the owner being for the high jump if the authorities carry out a proper investigation.

sorry, are you real or a Troll? Nobody yet has proof it was a bomb, all what we know so far is: there was an Explosion, it was NOT the transformer.... thats it....

if there are some ppl in a Thaivillage talking about a bomb, its because they are talking about BOOOOM=Explosion=bomb .... most of them have no clue of Electric or Transformers or exploding fuses... BUT.... IF there was really a bomb and to ask WHY cover it up...in a tourist crowded area like Patong....is a little bit of a stupid question...dont you think? or other way around... bomb=less tourists accident=business as usual

have a great evening and i am sure the authorities in duty will let us all know asap or after they know what really happend

UPDATE:

'Tourists jumped from Tiger's second storey'

PHUKET: -- Shocking accounts of tourists jumping from the second floor and others trampled in the panic to escape are emerging following the fire at Patong's Tiger discoteque early on Friday morning.

Thailand's 17 assistant national police chiefs has announced formation of an investigating committee to determine whether the popular nightspot was open after mandated closing time. Four were killed in the blaze, and eleven treated in hospital, one with burns over 40 per cent of his body.

Many were reported injured but required no treatment.

At press time, no charges had been filed.

A spokesman for the Tiger Group admitted customers were inside when the fire erupted and asserted that the two fire exits could not be used because electrical shorts started fires that blocked both. He said damage from the fire amounted to hundreds of millions of baht.

Thai National Police assistant chief Pol Lt Gen Chalermkiart Sriworakan said after inspecting the site: "Presently, a committee has been appointed to investigate facts and determine whether the disco was open for business after official closing. The committee is also looking into what caused the fire, contacting witnesses and collecting evidence. Autopsies will be performed on those who died at the office of Forensic Medicine."

The latter, he said, would be carried out "as swiftly as possible."

"We have yet to file charges because the matter is still under investigation," he explained, adding that no relatives have come forward to inquire about the deceased.

"Those concerned will be contacted, whether embassy personnel or members of the general public," Chalermkiart said, but presently the identities of the dead remain a mystery. He urged those who notice a friend or relative missing to contact either the provincial or Kathu police.

Chalermkiart said experts in evidence identification from the Region 8 police headquarters in Surat Thani are in Phuket to work on the case but refused to divulge any results of the investigation so far to the press, saying only they were trying to determine how the fire started.

He said witness statements were being taken, and that those who died included both foreigners and Thais: "One of the dead is most likely a Thai serving girl," he explained, "because a friend recognized her wrist-watch and bracelet."

According to police the fire at Tiger, on Soi Bangla in Patong, occurred during a heavy rain shortly after two electric power transformers "exploded". Patong police were notified of the incident at 3.20am Friday, and rushed to the scene where they found "pandemonium": "a thousand" tourists running in all directions trying to save their lives, some jumping from the second floor, others falling as they descended the stairs from the upstairs entrance which, with the fire exits blocked by flames, was the only avenue of exit.

Kanyaporn Kantong of Sri Saket described the scene when the fire began.

"I was out with a group of friends, and we sat drinking. Everything was normal. About 30 people were in the shop, Thai and foreign tourists, when someone shouted, "Fire!" But no one believed it. Then smoke started to pour in.

"After that, a light flashed, and a light tube fell on me. I tried to flee outside, but there was a jam at the door because everyone was running to escape. At that point, my clothes had caught fire. But I was lucky -- a foreign tourist put it out in time."

Kanyaporn said she suffered no injuries from the fire, but was hurt after being pushed down the stairs.

The caller who initially notified police also told them both fire exits were blocked by flames, adding that two transformers had exploded beside Tiger discotheque in front of the two fire exits, and city fire officials and Patong hospital should be contacted for help because flames were spreading rapidly.

At the scene, police, tourist police foreign volunteers, village police volunteers and tuk tuk drivers were busy clearing the street and helping the injured -- most of whom suffered from smoke inhalation -- to hospital.

A foreign tourist whose left arm was injured when he collided with another tourist trying to escape, fell and was trampled by others. He said Tiger was already closed when the fire began, with about 500 still inside because of the heavy rain.

"Suddenly the lights went off after the sound of two high voltage power transformers exploding beside the discotheque was heard," a local reporter explained. "All of Soi Bangla went dark. Then, after about five minutes, a current of electricity came down the wire and sparked a fire inside Tiger.

"Tourists panicked and fled, trying to save themselves. Some jumped off the second floor and were injured in the fall."

Kathu district police chief Pol Col Jipatr Pohchanapant called the incident "an accident" that resulted from the transformers' explosion, which he said was probably precipitated by heavy rain. The latter caused an electrical short that "quite quickly spread to Tiger disco and caused a fire, completely destroying it and leaving four dead -- two women and two men, one of which I'm sure is a foreigner."

Of the eleven injured, he said only two were kept in hospital, both in critical condition. One was a 40- or 42-year-old Thai woman, Nhudang Prangbangkana, and the other a French tourist, 30-year-old Benjamin Tallanotte. The latter suffered burns over 40 per cent of his body.

Ten fire engines converged to douse the inferno, while flames poured forth along the entire length of the building, one of the largest on the street. The fire was reported under control around 4am.

At 6.30am, Phuket deputy governor Chaiwat Tepi and Kathu district police chief Pol Col Jipatr Pohchanapant and Forensic Police, specializing in evidence identification, from Patong station entered the burned-out premises, where they spent about an hour. Four bodies were found, "burnt beyond recognition -- such that identification of who they are is impossible."

The remains were transferred to Patong hospital to await further examination, and to see whether any distinguishing characteristics could be found.

Tiger Group chairman of the board Piya Isaramalay reportedly ordered Tamrongsak Boonyaraks, variously described as either lawyer to or managing director of Tiger Group, to make a statement accepting responsibility for what happened. He, too, told reporters that the fire had been "an accident".

"The fire erupted after the discotheque was closed but guests yet remained because it was raining heavily. The tourists were sitting there when suddenly a fire started and the power failed, causing a commotion. Each tried to escape, but only the front door could be used because the two fire exits on either side were covered in spreading flames and none could get out. That caused injuries.

"I am sorry for those who died. The Tiger Group will provide help and care for those injured or dead."

Tamrongsak also reportedly told reporters: "The fire started about 3.00am. The disco had been closed since 2.00am, but a number of male and female tourists, Thai and foreign, were still sitting inside drinking. I expect the fire was caused by an electrical short. With regard to the dead and injured, the Tiger Group will care for all of them and carry out our responsibilities as specified by law."

He said he expected damages would amount to "several hundreds of millions of baht." whether the existing structure would be repaired, he said, would depend on results of an investigation "by the relevant agencies".

"We are ready to act in accord with its findings," he said.

Phuket provincial police chief Pol Maj Gen Chonasit Watanawarakul said two matters of investigation must take precedence: "What caused the fire, which preliminary investigation indicates erupted after transformers located nearby exploded and a blackout in Patong ensued. It also must be investigated whether renovations to the building or materials used played any part, and whether or not the structure can be used again."

The other pressing matter, he said, is to identify the dead: "Officials from Bangkok are coming down and will work to find any distinguishing characteristics on the corpses as soon as possible."

Provincial Forensic Police duty officer Kittisak Nhupeung said after the blaze: "The four bodies were too badly burnt to say whether they are male or female, or from what nationality. Scientific analysis of individual characteristics must be used to distinguish them, then await those who report relatives missing."

-- Translated from Siang Tai 2012-08-18

What a CROCK OF SH*TE. two more days from now and the club was actually closed all day... and no one knows where the bodies came from... That club was open and the DJ was blasting away at 3:20... The fire happened just before 4 am cause that is when the power cut off. Who is this scammer who says the club was closed at 2 am??? NOTHING was closed at 2 AM.... although when I was in Bangla yesterday they did STRICTLY close at 2 am... for once.

If it was closed at 2 am why are your customers running out screaming at 4 am saying they were all dancing to the music and in the dark all the sudden saw flames at 4 am...

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT and put the guy in jail who is lying... he is HIDING something!

"Talk of bombs is as stupid as it gets. They would know within hours if it had been a bomb and would have no reason on earth to cover it up."

Why so stupid? There were reports of an "explosion" just prior to the fire and the fire taking hold so quick, and the conflicting versions of events from authorities, and now a rising body count, lead me to CONSIDER the possibility and post my thoughts. The "explosion" apparently came from a transformer that is working fine.

A massive loss of tourist dollars and bad publicity for Phuket, if it was a terrorist attack, would be motivation to cover it up.

As stated, it was something to just consider. In any case, as usual here, we are not being told the truth, and may never really know what happened.

They had no problems deceiving the world in the Chiang Mai case. In that case, it was just a "coincidence." In this case, it's just an "electrical fire."

Edited by NamKangMan

sorry, are you real or a Troll? Nobody yet has proof it was a bomb, all what we know so far is: there was an Explosion, it was NOT the transformer.... thats it....

if there are some ppl in a Thaivillage talking about a bomb, its because they are talking about BOOOOM=Explosion=bomb .... most of them have no clue of Electric or Transformers or exploding fuses... BUT.... IF there was really a bomb and to ask WHY cover it up...in a tourist crowded area like Patong....is a little bit of a stupid question...dont you think? or other way around... bomb=less tourists accident=business as usual

have a great evening and i am sure the authorities in duty will let us all know asap or after they know what really happend

That's pretty much what I'm trying to say.

They need to explain to the world where the "explosion" came from just prior to the fire. The word "explosion" was used - not a loud "pop" which could be electricity arcing out or blowing a fuse.

The obvious financial loss to Phuket if it was a terroist attack would be motivation enough to deny it and cover it up.

For those who think it's just not possible, maybe they should pay more attention to what's been going on in the deep south - Yala, Pattani and Songkla, where it's a regular occurence.

Edited by NamKangMan

Case closed.

Sorry. Re read my post and I can't edit it now. It should have read:

Do you just like to write BS? It doesn't seem as though you read anything before you post. This thread is entitled "

Patong Electricity Chief Denies Transformer Started Tiger Inferno." I agreed with him. I guess you missed that part?

Your first post was correct. :) :)

You previously posted: "It makes much more sense than any other stories I've read." So, which "story" is the truth???? How can we know now who to believe? Why so many conflicting versions? Why the exploding transformer if there was nothing to hide?

Where did the "explosion" come from? How did the fire take hold so quickly? To my knowledge, the foam would burn slowly with a short circuit, not combust. Now, we also have a rising body count.

So, no, I didn't "miss that part." I read between the lines of all the BS that they would want you, and the world to believe.

For the record, I'm not stating that it MUST have been a terroist attack - just that it should be considered, because, with all the BS "stories" they are coming up with, something doesn't sound right and there is a huge financial motivation to cover up an attack, if that was what actually happened.

lawyers and bagmen have priority, to get their business done before electronic experts are allowed in, perhaps....

Very confusing why are they still not allowed to go in and do a check of the electrics today is Saturday !!!!!!!