Mcdonald’S Opens 165Th Branch At Star Avenue

khwaibah

You might want to reread my post. It seems that you are agreeing with me. McDonald's are to be found in tourist areas not in culture areas. People in the tourist areas are not here to see the culture. You assume that they do not like McDonald's. If that were true McDonald's would not build them there. The same as they don't build them in the hill tribe's.

You may think they are stupid but they actually know what they are doing. Not sure how McDonald's can bore you. Do you sit around looking at them all day long. Or what. do food carts bore you there is a heck of a lot more of them than there is McDonald's. 66,000,000 people and only 165 McDonald's. Hardly a invasion. You should go in to one some time. They are actually offering some Thai type food. And here in Chiang Mai you can not get a cheese quarter pounder it is made of pork in here.

Not that it matters but for my self I prefer Burger King. But I do find it strange that so many people can get so upset over a business that is obviously giving the people what they want and not trying to impose on their culture.

If you really cared about big business imposing on Thai Culture you would be going after all the motor Bike and auto manufacturers they are the ones who haverevolutionized the culture. Now instead of walking and staying in shape they drive or ride a motor bike and people wonder why they are putting on weight. DUH

We probably ARE mostly agreeing, and also not reading each other's posts carefully enough. I said that tourists who actually want to see the real culture, still must center themselves in tourist spots as a base from which to explore from (otherwise how will they know where to go at first if it isn't advertised somewhere). So, I would disagree with you that people in the tourist areas at NOT hear to see the culture. What the hell are they here to see, then? And where else can they go when they are green and don't speak the language? I've met plenty of tourists in the old city in CM who are here to see culture, and don't want to see a bunch of American chain restaurants and coffee shops.

You don't understand how McDonald's can bore me? The food is boring. After not having it in Asia for years, because it wasn't available where I lived, I happened to visit a tourist city and had a Big Mac. After a few bites, well, I lost interest in it. It's actually pretty bland food. Culturally it is boring. Eating at McDonalds in Thailand is like going to a kick-boxing stadium to watch a little league game, or going to a temple for a Christian sermon. It holds no cultural interest whatsoever. It is mind-numbingly over-familiar and innocuous. One doesn't go to Thailand to see the most familiar icons from back home. It would be like striving to attain enlightenment, and then finding out it was just a perpetual condition of smelling an eternal fart. It would be, strangely enough, like pursuing the most beautiful and exotic woman to find out she's smuggling a Budgie. You might as well go to another country to see the American flag waving, and Bob's Big boy running the country. You might as well go on a journey of a thousand miles and end up in your own restroom only to discover you forgot to flush.

Of course they offer food catering to the locals. This is consistent in every Asian country, just as they tailor the same generic pop to their own lyrics.

You don't think 165 McDonalds are a lot? Well, how many of them are in Chiangmai, for one? Further, how many are in Vietnam? Zero. How many are in Cambodia? Zero.

Do you think they SHOULD be in Vietnam and Cambodia? I was rather happy NOT to see them. And, I would be happier if there weren't any in Thailand, and no Western fast food chains at all. For the dozenth time, why go so far from home for the most boring shit you could get in your own neighborhood, and is actually so boring you don't even eat there. I mean, really, who the hell eats at McDonalds regularly in the West?

This reminds me. The first time I went to Vietnam, the first restaurant I went into (which really WAS a hole in the wall) started blaring Christmas music. There I was in Vietnam (it was Danang), listening to Jingle F'ing Bells! AND, it was boring to hear it. Really boring. As boring as it was to see "Friends" playing at all the cafes in Vang Vieng. As if people went to Laos to discover American TV sitcoms.

If you really cared about big business imposing on Thai Culture you would be going after all the motor Bike and auto manufacturers they are the ones who haverevolutionized the culture.

A separate but probably relevant issue.

Of course one has to accept that the world is becoming more homogenized, and eventually there may not be anyplace very different left to see. I've been lucky to see some places that still had their own culture, even as others are becoming McDonaldized, over familiar, and no more interesting than the place where I grew up.

I'd rather other cultures continue to develop in their own direction rather than just get swallowed up by McDonalds and become overrun with Westerners. There are some places in Thailand where there's more English than Thai. Joy. Why not just rename Thailand "McDonaldland" and switch out the Buddhas for Ronald McDonald statues?

Edited by AnkertilBrewer
  • Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, again, no, I don't agree that tourists who want to see the world want to see McDonalds when they go someplace like Chiangmai.

Again, Thailand is a modern country, not a theme park. It doesn't really matter that a very few tourists can not ignore the fact that there are Apple stores and fast food restaurants and Internet shops mixed in with the temples and noodle stalls - just like most developed countries. Thailand is "going in its own direction". It is just not a direction that you personally approve of.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Thai's heading to Melbourne or Sydney would be appalled at how many Thai restaurants there are. Literally thousands. I don't think so, they couldn't give a toss. And neither do I. If McDonalds is not for you just don't eat it. The Thai's are lovin it. smile.png

If Walmart and McDonalds are your idea of Thailand, than more power to you. Did you even read my post? I just said I'd prefer not to see TOO MANY McDonalds, because it's boring as all hell to come all the way to Thailand to see McDonalds. So, if you love McDonalds, go pork out to your heart's content. Actually, just pork out at home and save the airfare. Why the hell come to Thailand to engorge yourself on Western fast food when you can fatten up at home on that shit?

Now, your comparison to Thai restaurants in the West is off. Thais are not going to the West and getting confronted with a huge, multinational, Thai chain fast food store they've been eating at their whole lives. They are finding all sorts of independent restaurants. And, yes, my students would find it incredibly, mind-numbingly, disappointing to go all the way to the West to eat Pad Thai. If they want to self-lobotomize, they can ride around without a helmet.

This is a no-brainer. For people who are actually interested in seeing different cultures and exploring the world, McDonalds is #@$^ boring. Once there are McDonalds everywhere, than one might as well stop travelling. But, again, for people who are just here because it's cheap, but would actually prefer to live in the West (er, if they could have similar access to girls), culture doesn't mean shit, and they could make the whole thing into a corporate disneyland, kick the Thais out, and that would be considered an improvement.

Where does my post say Walmart and Maccas are my idea of Thailand?

After all is said and done, more is said than done, TV in a nut shell.

The Eagles song "get over it" come to mind.

I just said I'd prefer not to see TOO MANY McDonalds, because it's boring as all hell to come all the way to Thailand to see McDonalds.

Most people wouldn't want to see McDonald's when visiting 'exotic' places for a short time (I think).

However, as so often thrust down our throats on here; " we are guests in their country".

That being the case accept what our hosts want and that is lots of McDonald's. wink.png

• Like 1

In defence to McD .... I offer the following :

For the many people worldwide , McD is a great family restaurant. In developed or developing countries , a trip to McDonald is great family fun. The toys for the kids and the French fries its comfort food for many and the local staples are great

All food taken in moderation is good. Unless u stuff it like daily in the DVD upsize me , with the amount of walking and exercise most Thais will not go the mcD diet way. there are other restaurants or diet around the world that will not be any more healthier

If u look at McD ...I know of many Thais and other Asia countries where it is a welcome refuge to get free air conditioning in the hot afternoons , a clean toilet and a drink that will not cost an arm. Walk into any McD and see students chatting, families chilling on a sundae and u know McD means more than American fast food ...it's a social place to chill like Starbucks and people want them.

I travel 8 months on the road and when I am in an unfamiliar city and need something to use as a directional stop for drivers or meetings with friends, the golden arches work for me.

On... A sundae never stops to bring a smile to my face wherever I am ...Mexico...USA...Hong Kong... chongqing and yes Chiang Mai.

I love McD !

Well said that man. thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

I just said I'd prefer not to see TOO MANY McDonalds, because it's boring as all hell to come all the way to Thailand to see McDonalds.

Most people wouldn't want to see McDonald's when visiting 'exotic' places for a short time (I think).

However, as so often thrust down our throats on here; " we are guests in their country".

That being the case accept what our hosts want and that is lots of McDonald's. wink.png

Why are you quoting me? I never said that. lol

Why are you quoting me? I never said that. lol

I wouldn't say 165 McDonald"s in a country or 66,000,000 people is a lot.

Not having been to many of them I cannot say fo sure. But I would be willing to bet that they are n areas with lot's of tourists.

I had a KFC once....the food was OK....restaurant was pleasant enough....can't complain. Pretty much the same as a MaccyD's....I just don't like the smell of those burgers....maybe I'll drop by for some fries one of these days....

Edit: It couldn't be any errm more average than Mike's.

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

"snapback.pngDaamNaam, on Yesterday, 08:38 , said:

I just said I'd prefer not to see TOO MANY McDonalds, because it's boring as all hell to come all the way to Thailand to see McDonalds."

Pretty much agree.

In the states, when you go to a nice town or resort type area, they might have a mcd's, but it's 'done tastefully' (like a playboy spread, lol). No big signs, it might be cedar paneled, etc.. So, while I appreciate the presence of a mcdonalds so I can get the occasional sausage mcmuffin with Egg, I'd rather not see the big gawdy golden arches..

"snapback.pngDaamNaam, on Yesterday, 08:38 , said:

I just said I'd prefer not to see TOO MANY McDonalds, because it's boring as all hell to come all the way to Thailand to see McDonalds."

Pretty much agree.

In the states, when you go to a nice town or resort type area, they might have a mcd's, but it's 'done tastefully' (like a playboy spread, lol). No big signs, it might be cedar paneled, etc.. So, while I appreciate the presence of a mcdonalds so I can get the occasional sausage mcmuffin with Egg, I'd rather not see the big gawdy golden arches..

Again. no i did not say that at all.

All this ''I don't want to see blah blah blah'' crap. Where l live in LOS there is no McD's, but guess what, out in the small ma and pa shop areas we now have THREE mini TESCO'S within a few miles of each other. What WILL the tourist think. laugh.png

So, again, no, I don't agree that tourists who want to see the world want to see McDonalds when they go someplace like Chiangmai.

Again, Thailand is a modern country, not a theme park. It doesn't really matter that a very few tourists can not ignore the fact that there are Apple stores and fast food restaurants and Internet shops mixed in with the temples and noodle stalls - just like most developed countries. Thailand is "going in its own direction". It is just not a direction that you personally approve of.

Every time you say the thing about the "theme park" I kind of do a double take. McDonalds makes Thailand into a theme park. Just imagine McDonald's in the Royal Palace. Would that make it seem more or less like a theme park to you?

I didn't say anything about approving or not.

I'm surprised people are still arguing about this. Nobody has answered one of my questions. I mentioned that there are NO McDonald's in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Myanmar (Burma). And my question was, do you want there to be McDonald's in those countries?

Not enough custom, easy really. rolleyes.gif BigMac, = weeks wages, hmmmmmmmm 2+2= hmmmmm.

I'm surprised people are still arguing about this. Nobody has answered one of my questions. I mentioned that there are NO McDonald's in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Myanmar (Burma). And my question was, do you want there to be McDonald's in those countries?

I couldn't care less. It's up to the locals in those countries. As the Thai's have proven they want it here by the stores popularity.

• Like 1

Post # 138 for the financial stuff,

are you against Thai, Lao or Cambodian grub in USA or UK. ? Please answer.

And if you think it OK, then what if they come successful and make bundles of cash, will you then be against them ????

Post # 138 for the financial stuff,

are you against Thai, Lao or Cambodian grub in USA or UK. ? Please answer.

And if you think it OK, then what if they come successful and make bundles of cash, will you then be against them ????

Of course I'm not against international food. The question isn't the food, but the multinational food chain restaurant in question. Yeah, generally speaking, monopoly businesses tend to put lots and lots of independent restaurants out of business. Think Starbucks and how many "mom & pop" coffee shops were eliminated because of it. I don't mind if they sell coffee in a guesthouse in Myanmar, but I don't want a McDonalds infront of the Shwedegon pagoda.

Actually, do YOU see "Pat Thai Hut" right next to the Lincoln Memorial? Think a little.

I couldn't care less. It's up to the locals in those countries. As the Thai's have proven they want it here by the stores popularity.

If you couldn't care less, might as well not post about it. Anyway, your assumption that McDonalds are here by popular Thai demand is naive. Did they vote on it? If they are in the tourist areas why do you conclude it's by Thai demand and not tourist demand? Why are the Western fast food restaurants in CM filled with Westerners if it's the Thais that want them?

Not enough custom, easy really. rolleyes.gif BigMac, = weeks wages, hmmmmmmmm 2+2= hmmmmm.

Might wanna think that one through. If the restaurants are in the tourist sections, it's a question of whether or not the tourists can afford it. Really, it's a question of whether a tourist wants to go to another country to eat at McDonalds, or to eat at local restaurants. Some tourists just want to eat at McDonalds and party, etc… They'd probably just stay at home if Thailand wasn't cheap for them, and didn't have some things available that they couldn't get at home (bar girls…).

Also, you guys keep trying to make it like I said there shouldn't be any Western fast food joints. Of course McDonalds is the biggest cliche. But, I said not too many of them. At some point it just becomes retarded.

Edited by AnkertilBrewer

Sorry chum, but you are saying that you do not want to see successful fast food outlets on your holiday destinations. The stuff you have talked about is not liking a successful business because it's from the USA.

You cannot accept my answer about Lao or Cambodia, Why ?.

Out of season nobody can afford to buy in these countries, simple stuff. In LOS, some Thais can afford to buy and have a bigger expat farang community. rolleyes.gif .

• Like 2

Sorry chum, but you are saying that you do not want to see successful fast food outlets on your holiday destinations. The stuff you have talked about is not liking a successful business because it's from the USA.

You cannot accept my answer about Lao or Cambodia, Why ?.

Out of season nobody can afford to buy in these countries, simple stuff. In LOS, some Thais can afford to buy and have a bigger expat farang community. rolleyes.gif .

Oh are we chums now. You don't have to be sorry. Everyone is wrong sometimes, and this was just your time. Anyway, you seem to have some new angles you are trying to work.

You say I am against successful fast food outlets in my holiday destinations. I don't mind if I see a KFC next to Disneyland. I mind when too many dumb foreigners are too addicted to fast food and too lazy to explore the local good, and the result is that the rest of us have to see the McDonald's cropping up for them to plop themselves at. No, I don't want to see the Golden Arches when I go to see a different culture. Some of us travel to see things that are different, not to squat at McDonald's and pound burgers. I'm not begrudging anyone's success, but rather, the stupidity of those needing/demanding to engorge themselves on familiar fast food wherever they go. Do we really need to bring McDonald's with us to feel safe? Are we that weak?

The stuff you have talked about is not liking a successful business because it's from the USA.

No, because it's a cliche. Because it's lame. Because it is the biggest symbol of conformity in America. Because it is the "lowest common denominator." True, I didn't come to Asia to have the dumbest American shit thrust in my face. It's not about I'm against a successful business. This is actually so ridiculous it's a joke. What is the absolute dumbest thing anyone could say they did in Asia. "Der, I went to Mac Donald."

You cannot accept my answer about Lao or Cambodia, Why ?
I already answered it. Holy Crap! There's a whole post answering that bogus question.

You wrote:

Out of season nobody can afford to buy in these countries, simple stuff.

They can afford it in Vietnam, but there are no McDonalds. You stand corrected.

Ever thought of teaching English in Vietnam or Cambodia, to ease your stress?

Who said I haven't already taught there? Ever thought of moving back to the West so you could be in your own culture?

McDonald's doesn't cause me stress. That's the whole point of it. Any Westerner can go into any McDonald's anywhere in the world and feel like he's safe and secure back home, eating the absolutely most familiar food imaginable, in the most familiar and cliched environment. Going to McDonald's in Thailand is a little like reciting your ABC's in a Thai language class. It's just weakly crawling back to what you already know.

The real question is, should the people who are too stressed by living in another culture go back home instead of bringing McDonald's with them?

If you can't live without McDonald's, you probably should stay at home (if you can afford it!). True, many, many people are here not because they like Thailand at all, or have any interest in Thai culture or any culture, but merely because they don't have enough money to live in their own countries. I've seen many a miserable foreigner who can't adapt or acclimate, clinging to the Golden Arches, almost literally, and suffering from depression because they are not in their homeland (though that does tend to be the ones who can't afford to live it up Western style).

Ever thought of teaching English in Vietnam or Cambodia, to ease your stress?

He would have to figure out something else to whinge about there - maybe too many places selling French baguettes.

31154_content_lite.jpg