Anywhere Near Chiang Mai For Visa Extension?

We need to extend our 90 day tourist visa this week and from what I've been reading online, here in Chiang Mai sounds like an absolute nightmare. Is there anywhere nearby we can get to by bus or train where we can get it without hanging around all day? I gather we can't send a representative.

A tourist visa can not be extended beyond 90 days anywhere. Immigration could only provide 7 days to leave. You must leave the country and either obtain a new visa or a visa exempt entry. And any border crossing will legally require your presence.

That is correct but your other post said 90 days which would mean you had already done that. So you will need to visit immigration to take care of the extension of stay - that can not be done at a border crossing. You lose no time doing early so the sooner the better.

You can go stay in another province and use the immigration office for that area - but you may have to wait a bit there also. Chiang Rai province might be interesting. You can use below map of offices - in general they serve those living in the province they are located in.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214923170432669428134.000465f03d84d91df360b&t=h&z=6

What's all this about waiting for 8 hours?, go there ,try it!

Actually, it can work out to something like 8 hours at Chiang Mai. You need to arrive before 7 am to get a queue ticket for a visa extension and it may be a higher number where you're advised to come back in the afternoon. Arrive before 6 am and you'll probably get a number for the morning, but it probably will be late in the morning before you're seen and you may be told to come back after lunch to pick up your passport.

The waiting area is air conditioned, food, coffee and toilets are steps away. I always see dozens of people I know and make new friends. Plus, there is much drama to watch among the milling throngs and some people's interactions with the Immigration officers. But, I live in Chiang Mai, am retired with time available and am easily amused. It may be not a tourist's idea of the best way to spend a day of a short-term holiday.

As of right now, on-line reservations are open for 1300hrs tomorrow and Thursday.

http://www.chiangmai...eue-online.html

Don't get too excited when you see those 1300 hr openings. If you actually proceed to make a reservation, you'll find that 1300 is not an option available to you. The first real opening is 26 October at 14:30.

My theory is that those 1300 hr reservations are older reservations made before they instituted the "100 day rule" and added appointments on the half hour in addition to the hourly appointments.

We found a company that deals with Thai visas who are getting our extension so we don't need to go to Immigration in person. We just took our passports and photo - they took copies and filled in all the forms for us and will be ready to pick up tomorrow. The cost was 1200 baht each for the service which is quite a lot of money, but for us, worth it to avoid the hassle. If anyone wants the name of the company, PM me.

If you actually proceed to make a reservation, you'll find that 1300 is not an option available to you

Ah, yes indeed -- I tried, and 1300, like all the other times for those days, is not an option.

I thought there was something strange with all these open 1300 times. Maybe an extra half-hour lunch break ever so often.....

As of right now, on-line reservations are open for 1300hrs tomorrow and Thursday.

http://www.chiangmai...eue-online.html

I read per this thread the online que could not be used for tourist extension?

Please note that the online queueing system is only for those doing extensions of stay such as work, marriage, business, education and retirement. Do NOT use it for 90 day reporting, re-entry permits, tourist visa extensions or similar matters that can be processed fairly quickly.

I read per this thread the online que could not be used for tourist extension?

I did too. Then I saw a report that said the online queue had successfully been used for a conversion procedure. Then I read this (from a few months back):

When I went in and did my 90 day report immigration told me I should book on-line next time and then the lady behind the counter helped me do it since I has my laptop with me.

I really believe the system was set in-place strictly for annual extensions. But, there has apparently been a slow learning curve at Immigration. And folks have shown up, with online appointments, that have been honored for other than annual extensions. Hopefully, this practice will disappear -- as annual extensions for retirement require their full attention, particularly if Fox News continues to advertise CM as the number one retirement locale in the world. ermm.gif

We found a company that deals with Thai visas who are getting our [tourist] extension so we don't need to go to Immigration in person. We just took our passports and photo - they took copies and filled in all the forms for us and will be ready to pick up tomorrow.

Does anyone know whether or not you can do this for annual retirement extensions? I know there are agencies that help with the paperwork, but I never payed too much attention -- and thought that you had to accompany them to Immigration.

Obviously, if in the (near) future Immigration becomes a total zoo, I'd have no qualms about paying several thousand baht to NOT have to go to Immigration for my annual extension.

We found a company that deals with Thai visas who are getting our [tourist] extension so we don't need to go to Immigration in person. We just took our passports and photo - they took copies and filled in all the forms for us and will be ready to pick up tomorrow.

Does anyone know whether or not you can do this for annual retirement extensions? I know there are agencies that help with the paperwork, but I never payed too much attention -- and thought that you had to accompany them to Immigration.

Obviously, if in the (near) future Immigration becomes a total zoo, I'd have no qualms about paying several thousand baht to NOT have to go to Immigration for my annual extension.

Yes, of course there are visa assist companies in Chiang Mai that will do your annual retirement extensions for you. But, they charge more for extensions than 90 day reporting. But, with proper planning, you can book your extension appointment on-line and be done with everything at CM Immigration in an hour or so.

The visa assist agents can't go to your consulate to get your income letter or bank to get your account verification letter -- you'll still have to do that yourself.

Yes, of course there are visa assist companies in Chiang Mai that will do your annual retirement extensions for you. But, they charge more for extensions than 90 day reporting. But, with proper planning, you can book your extension appointment on-line and be done with everything at CM Immigration in an hour or so.

Just making contingency plans, for when booking on-line becomes iffy, as the hords of newly-arrived expats overwhelm CM Immigration.

I had never considered a visa assist company, as things work just fine today. But I really didn't know if these companies were just for filling out paperwork -- but required your presence when submitting to Immigration. But it seems they do NOT require your presence -- same as if they're doing your 90-day report. Great, because if I can't book on-line (or if I can, but this system goes to hell), and am relegated to the below quote, I'll gladly hand some agency my bank book and letter -- and whatever several thousands of baht they require -- to avoid a day at the zoo.

Arrive before 6 am and you'll probably get a number for the morning, but it probably will be late in the morning before you're seen and you may be told to come back after lunch to pick up your passport.

No thanks.

I had never considered a visa assist company, as things work just fine today. But I really didn't know if these companies were just for filling out paperwork -- but required your presence when submitting to Immigration. But it seems they do NOT require your presence -- same as if they're doing your 90-day report. Great, because if I can't book on-line (or if I can, but this system goes to hell), and am relegated to the below quote, I'll gladly hand some agency my bank book and letter -- and whatever several thousands of baht they require -- to avoid a day at the zoo.

They seem to be thriving because during my 1 year extension interview I was put on hold three times

as representatives from these types of companies came straight to the desk with packs of papers.

I imagine the desk clerk gets a cut? She quickly put my wife & I on hold while she explained in Thai why

some of the papers needed this or that.

We found a company that deals with Thai visas who are getting our extension so we don't need to go to Immigration in person. We just took our passports and photo - they took copies and filled in all the forms for us and will be ready to pick up tomorrow. The cost was 1200 baht each for the service which is quite a lot of money, but for us, worth it to avoid the hassle. If anyone wants the name of the company, PM me.

Are you sure they took your paper work to immigration and didn't fake the stamp, this has happened in the past.

Everyone I know who has used a visa agent in Chiang Mai has gone with the agent to Immigration for the retirement extension. Plus, as mentioned earlier, they also have to get their own consulate and/or bank letter.

I don't know if it's because the people I know are super cautious, don't want to let their passport out of their sight and want to know the stamp is genuine. Or it could be that the applicant has to go with the agent. Don't know. The agents seem to be able to get appointments, or at least tell their customers "meet me at Immigration at 10 am" and the applicant and agent are seen fairly soon.

Someone can do your 90 day report without having your passport in hand -- just relevant copies.

edit - Currently, I'm taking Thai language classes in a program that will support an ED visa. My fellow students who have this visa do seem to turn over their passports for a few days to the school and the passports are returned with appropriate stamps. So maybe it's different for a ED visa. Personally, I wouldn't "turn over" my passport, even to the school. I'd insist on meeting them at Immigration.

Edited by NancyL

Everyone I know who has used a visa agent in Chiang Mai has gone with the agent to Immigration for the retirement extension. Plus, as mentioned earlier, they also have to get their own consulate and/or bank letter.

Getting an income or bank letter would be a breeze -- compared to spending a day at Immigration. And, based on what the OP stated, it sounds like, indeed, you do NOT have to accompany the agent to Immigration:

We found a company that deals with Thai visas who are getting our extension so we don't need to go to Immigration in person.

I would have little concern about handing my passport to an agent -- as long as that agent has a worthy track record. That will be something I'll investigate -- when and if I enter the agent market. But, I'm not there -- yet.

• 3 months later...

Yes please i would like the contact details of this company ,i need to do extension.

• 2 weeks later...