Your Legacy ... What Will You Have Done?

David48

Well, you've been here a year or two ... maybe even a decade or two.

Watched the Thais contravene conventional Wisdom and Thought ... if only they did this way or that!

When your Thai family gather round your wooden box and you prepare to depart this mortal coil.

post-104736-0-89866900-1345410681_thumb.

What legacy will you leave them?

Will you have changed their thinking, influenced them in any lasting way?

BTW, for those with a sporting interest ... The Olympic Legacy ... here

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to let them out from the glass pot and spring to a small canal to learn how is the life out side their world, also learn them to change how to thinking and to do when they have some problem with the new way of life, yes, sometime can be hard and in lasting way but they know or will know later what is the meaning I do, may be when I am not there anymore to learn or give them more chance to learn.

I was a teacher here in 1968. When a student would correctly answer a question I would throw them a ping pong ball. At the end of the class the student with the most ping pong balls got a prize. This is why Thais react with such frenzy when anyone throws them a ping pong ball today.

• Like 2

I was a teacher here in 1968. When a student would correctly answer a question I would throw them a ping pong ball. At the end of the class the student with the most ping pong balls got a prize. This is why Thais react with such frenzy when anyone throws them a ping pong ball today.

Didn't do them a lot of good at the Olympics though did it !

I don't think they have an event for ping pong ball catching at the Olympics. If they did I know I could put a team together and I know where to look for the members.

I don't think they have an event for ping pong ball catching at the Olympics. If they did I know I could put a team together and I know where to look for the members.

I dont care what i leave/dont leave behind. I will be dead. why should i care??

• Like 1

Y'know, David, you've struck a bit of a raw nerve, and we've lost our ancestral home, that we've had for almost a generation, back in the Old Country, due in part to a lack of attention to our heritage and our obligations to our antecescedents and descendents. I can see us being lost like the tribes of Israel, wandering the world...

WellyecanfokoffifyethinkyergaunaesettleinTannadice. FokkinPalestine,Lebanon,Gaza.... JistfokkoffSouthaetheTay, Awright?

Imam, I can't believe you, of all people, would be swayed by the harsh oppression of Semitism. I know I wasn't born there, and nor were my children, nor my father, but surely we have a right to settle in our homeland?

SC

• Like 2

I told them to nail me to a tree and let the crows eat me................should generate some good ghost stories for later about the wailing Farang.................although theyll say we didnt notice any difference when he was alive!!

I told them to nail me to a tree and let the crows eat me................should generate some good ghost stories for later about the wailing Farang.................although theyll say we didnt notice any difference when he was alive!!

You should've added the caveat "...when I'm dead".

It's always worth getting things checked oer by a good lawyer....

• Like 1

Y'know, David, you've struck a bit of a raw nerve, and we've lost our ancestral home, that we've had for almost a generation, back in the Old Country, due in part to a lack of attention to our heritage and our obligations to our antecescedents and descendents. I can see us being lost like the tribes of Israel, wandering the world...

WellyecanfokoffifyethinkyergaunaesettleinTannadice. FokkinPalestine,Lebanon,Gaza.... JistfokkoffSouthaetheTay, Awright?

Imam, I can't believe you, of all people, would be swayed by the harsh oppression of Semitism. I know I wasn't born there, and nor were my children, nor my father, but surely we have a right to settle in our homeland?

SC

Everyone has the right to settle anywhere. But I think you have to adapt to your surroundings and respect the ways of your host country. If this means implementing Buddhism into catholicism, why not? If this mean creating the ability to adapt, why not?

• Like 1

As for me ... I'm not hoping to leave a profound Legacy ... but I do wish that I have had an influence on those around me.

The gf's parents are Fish and Shrimp/Prawn Farmers and some of their works practices are archaic.

Some are designed to reduce the costs of inputs, hence the profitability of the Farm.

I would hope that, over the next 10 - 15 years, which approximates close to useful working life of the Farm Farther that I will be able to introduce some cost-effective Farming methods which will both increase the yield and the overall return for the Farm produce.

So, if I can give that one Legacy ... I'll be happy.

It's difficult to change the Thai way of thinking ... sometimes it takes the subtly of a Diplomat to suggest a subtle change to Thai person, let them think that it's their idea and then, when that 'idea of his (or hers) works', let them bask in their glory ... without muttering the words ... I told you so.

What positive Legacy do you wish to leave to Thailand?

.... I know where to look for the members.

Steady! there's no call for talk like that in a family forum

SC

He who speak does not know; he who knows does not speak.

And Confucius say man who go to bed with stiff problem wake up with answer in palm of hand. biggrin.png

David48

I understand your sentiments,but really why should we leave a legacy to a Country that looks on farangs as: non People/Aliens,who have no say or vote,or input in the Country whatsoever.

Are you not worrying about something the Thais would not give a second thought to????

Enjoy your life in Thailand,but don't think you owe them anything,you pay for what you get / take.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 2