Rowdy Students Severely Beat High School Teacher: Samut Prakan

webfact

Asking and slapping are two different things. I don't care if a non teacher ask my kid to behave, but if non teacher slaps or touches my kid in anyway, then it becomes a different story. Please do not mix the two up.

I do not mix the two up. not at all saying they would, but if your little cherubs were beating the crap out of teacher as part of a gang, I'm not exactly going to stand there and say "excuse me young men, would you mind awfully not kicking him in the head, he's already unconscious and the bleeding is quite profuse". No, I would pick them up, throw them against a wall or in some way subdue them so that a) the person under attack is safe, and 2) the little bastards are not in a situation to attack me. might sound extreme, but a gang of 14 year olds acting like a pack of dogs is just as dangerous as a gang of men.

You conveniently missed the original assault here didn't you P?! No one was assaulting anyone until the teacher decided that head blows (slaps, cuffs, punches however you want to phrase it) were appropriate responses to the use of bad language by two minors who were not under his responsibility or care.

The teacher was assaulted as a direct response to his own use of violence. Quite simple really and a good lesson to all you wannabe vigilantes out there - violence begets violence... rightly or wrongly. Some call this karma, personally I call it basic common sense.

If you really think that the only way of teaching or instilling discipline in your children is by hitting them I feel sorry for both you and your children, it's the easy way out and teaches your children only that you have not the intelligence or self control to impose your will without playing the role of the bully, which in turn tells them that whenever they are bigger or in a position of power over someone else violence is a suitable form of self expression. The old school methods of teaching/ discipline might just have a little something to do with the problems that modern society faces today. thumbsup.gif

I love this response, the brave teacher patrolling the grounds after the potentially lethal bomb attack!!! They were ping-pong balls filled with gun powder/ similar, the same sort my Dad used to make at school in the 50s... made from emptying shotgun cartridges into ping pong balls, to be thrown at other kids when playing cowboys and indians with sharpened sticks and shotguns! The most you could do was set fire to your eyebrows or burn your hands if you set the fuses too small... it was the arrows you had to watch out for, one uncle blinded and a dodgy knee for life for my Dad... oh yes, the kids of today, where do they get this from I wonder?!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqCyCOqeYuA

I dare you to put one in your hand and let it go off. I dare you.

"Very OTT and a criminal assault for which I'm sure he will be charged with,"

No he won't. He will get away with it. As will all the others because mummy will protect him.

Much like those bangers we used to bring back on school trips and use to blow up cow pats/ dog shits and set the English teachers store room on fire... yes, I have had a ping pong ball bomb go off in my hand, lot of smoke, quite a bang, lost my eyebrows, minor burns on my hands... the distinct lack of any shrapnel however leaves nothing to actually injure, much like a banger. Try it yourself, you might gain a sense of perspective, they're not exactly bombs in the traditional sense of the word, but I guess that wouldn't have suited your story about a brave, bullet dodging teacher patrolling the schools grounds to protect his innocent students... before coming across two totally innocent students and deciding to assault them for the use of bad language... but against a backdrop of war torn BKK, with bombs a flying that's totally acceptable!!!

Hate to disagree but the A&E and Youtube are full of these little jolly japes where people are blinded or lose fingers and other parts due to homemade of factory made fireworks, why do you think governments are trying to ban them or limit them to professional displays.????

Edited by sysardman
  • Like 1

Asking and slapping are two different things. I don't care if a non teacher ask my kid to behave, but if non teacher slaps or touches my kid in anyway, then it becomes a different story. Please do not mix the two up.

I do not mix the two up. not at all saying they would, but if your little cherubs were beating the crap out of teacher as part of a gang, I'm not exactly going to stand there and say "excuse me young men, would you mind awfully not kicking him in the head, he's already unconscious and the bleeding is quite profuse". No, I would pick them up, throw them against a wall or in some way subdue them so that a) the person under attack is safe, and 2) the little bastards are not in a situation to attack me. might sound extreme, but a gang of 14 year olds acting like a pack of dogs is just as dangerous as a gang of men.

I agree with you in how to take care of a situation as a bunch of kids assaulting the teacher. I was however commenting on (tominbkk's) post "Next time I see your kid messing up and I clip him round the ear, you are ok with that"? Maybe I misunderstood his post. I took it as if in his opinion, he saw my son doing something wrong, if it was OK to clip him around the ear. That would not be the same as you or me stepping in to help a teacher in a gang bang of a brawl. I will not tolerate someone off the street clipping my kid, but will accept it from a teacher, until the teacher is proven wrong.

Much like those bangers we used to bring back on school trips and use to blow up cow pats/ dog shits and set the English teachers store room on fire... yes, I have had a ping pong ball bomb go off in my hand, lot of smoke, quite a bang, lost my eyebrows, minor burns on my hands... the distinct lack of any shrapnel however leaves nothing to actually injure, much like a banger. Try it yourself, you might gain a sense of perspective, they're not exactly bombs in the traditional sense of the word, but I guess that wouldn't have suited your story about a brave, bullet dodging teacher patrolling the schools grounds to protect his innocent students... before coming across two totally innocent students and deciding to assault them for the use of bad language... but against a backdrop of war torn BKK, with bombs a flying that's totally acceptable!!!

What a load of dribble you write. A complete load of tosh. There is no way you could fill a ping pong ball full of black powder, place it in your hand, light it, and it not take your hand off. At the very least the ball shell would act as the shrapnel and melt into your skins with nasty results. In your mind the teacher was going around the school, say three (not two) kids, went over to have a go at them when all they were doing were making daisy chains and collecting flowers for their grannies.

The whole school knew, after the bombs, that same said little brats were coming back to the school to "get revenge". They arrive. He confronts them. He has he head smashed in. You are a sick twisted man with very low moral fibre if you still contend he deserved his beating because he clipped the kids around the ear.

Jumping to conclusions again eh? Where have I stated the teacher deserved the beating? In fact where has anyone stated that on this thread? Please quote me rather than just making stuff up...thumbsup.gif

I've made it quite clear that I don't agree with the violence shown by the teacher or the response that he provoked. You just like to skirt over the fact that the whole incident was started by a teacher losing his self control and getting violent...

Now the whole school knew that these children were coming to get revenge for some bomb attacks? Really?! You just make this stuff up as you go along don't you?!!! They were there to get revenge for what exactly?!!! You get the gold star for complete fabrication of events and distortion of the facts... fascinating stuff clap2.gif

You conveniently missed the original assault here didn't you P?! No one was assaulting anyone until the teacher decided that head blows (slaps, cuffs, punches however you want to phrase it) were appropriate responses to the use of bad language by two minors who were not under his responsibility or care.

The teacher was assaulted as a direct response to his own use of violence. Quite simple really and a good lesson to all you wannabe vigilantes out there - violence begets violence... rightly or wrongly. Some call this karma, personally I call it basic common sense.

If you really think that the only way of teaching or instilling discipline in your children is by hitting them I feel sorry for both you and your children, it's the easy way out and teaches your children only that you have not the intelligence or self control to impose your will without playing the role of the bully, which in turn tells them that whenever they are bigger or in a position of power over someone else violence is a suitable form of self expression. The old school methods of teaching/ discipline might just have a little something to do with the problems that modern society faces today. thumbsup.gif

i bet when you played sport at school they didn't keep score and everyone got a ribbon..

If I saw a teacher or adult cuffing a little brat around the head I would assume the little brat deserved it. In this day and age I would also assume that the kids would kick the shit out of him as well. Three minors by the way. You keep saying two. It was three. Did you actually read the article in its entirety? Doubt it.

I agree with you in how to take care of a situation as a bunch of kids assaulting the teacher. I was however commenting on (tominbkk's) post "Next time I see your kid messing up and I clip him round the ear, you are ok with that"? Maybe I misunderstood his post. I took it as if in his opinion, he saw my son doing something wrong, if it was OK to clip him around the ear. That would not be the same as you or me stepping in to help a teacher in a gang bang of a brawl. I will not tolerate someone off the street clipping my kid, but will accept it from a teacher, until the teacher is proven wrong.

Sure - I was taking it to an extreme, but imagine that your kid comes back saying "nasty man threw me against a wall just now". What would be your response? Only after I have my operation to have the bullet removed from my spine you find out that the kid was involved in something a little more than he told you about. not happened, but If a kid stands in front of me shouting abuse in my face with his gang around him, I would most likely cuff the little brat. You come trundling along saying "oiii why did you hit my kid" and I say "I did not hit him, I cuffed his ear because for 10 minutes, him and his pals surrounded me, screaming abuse and threats at me, so I cuffed the little shit" what would your response be then?

@ferangled

Q: "Would the brother (edit - and other students) have assaulted the teacher had the teacher not first assaulted the two students?

A: No, The real issue is what leads adults and youths to such extreme violence. What are the contributing factors? Is it lack of good schooling, no parenting discipline, social environment they live in or they just enjoy violence as some people do etc. It is not the simplistic proposition you present "violence, begets violence"

i bet when you played sport at school they didn't keep score and everyone got a ribbon..

No, we beat ten types of shit out of each other on the Rugby field and the weak got crushed... aged 15 we killed another boy playing the "gentleman's game", but hey we were the form rugby school in England and that was part and parcel of it, I'm sure his parents understood. A year later the rules of the game were changed to prevent long rolling mauls and rucks.... now I see pads are allowed. You would of course have been labelled a queer for using any protection in my day.

Friday/ Saturday night was beer and fight night, when we regularly took to the town to terrorise the less physically able kids and generally raise havoc. Physical punishment at school was regular and I'm not talking a cuff about yer ear, yes those were the good old days alright and look what a perfect society we... sorry, our children created...

Your point is what exactly?

• Like 1

Was that a yes or a no then? Seems to be a running theme on here that intelligent discussion is lost.... perhaps this makes it easier for you...

Would the brother (edit - and other students) have assaulted the teacher had the teacher not first assaulted the two students? thumbsup.gif

Point number 1: where was your intelligent discussion, must have missed it?

Point number 2: If you compare a minor clip round the ear with a mob beating then you are a sick individual. Probably your father didn't discipline you because of his prosthetic hands that he had fitted after playing with homemade bombs. I hope he hides the rifles and handguns when you visit.

Still dodging the question in favour of taking ever cheapening shots eh? Yes or no, quite simple thumbsup.gif

If I saw a teacher or adult cuffing a little brat around the head I would assume the little brat deserved it. In this day and age I would also assume that the kids would kick the shit out of him as well. Three minors by the way. You keep saying two. It was three. Did you actually read the article in its entirety? Doubt it.

Sure - I was taking it to an extreme, but imagine that your kid comes back saying "nasty man threw me against a wall just now". What would be your response? Only after I have my operation to have the bullet removed from my spine you find out that the kid was involved in something a little more than he told you about. not happened, but If a kid stands in front of me shouting abuse in my face with his gang around him, I would most likely cuff the little brat. You come trundling along saying "oiii why did you hit my kid" and I say "I did not hit him, I cuffed his ear because for 10 minutes, him and his pals surrounded me, screaming abuse and threats at me, so I cuffed the little shit" what would your response be then?

In this situation I would accept your actions certainly. That is to the extreme and one can only hope it doesn't ever involve your own kid. I think we're clear on things now:) Thanks!

• Like 1

Was that a yes or a no then? Seems to be a running theme on here that intelligent discussion is lost.... perhaps this makes it easier for you...

Would the brother (edit - and other students) have assaulted the teacher had the teacher not first assaulted the two students? thumbsup.gif

Point number 2: If you compare a minor clip round the ear with a mob beating then you are a sick individual. Probably your father didn't discipline you because of his prosthetic hands that he had fitted after playing with homemade bombs. I hope he hides the rifles and handguns when you visit.

Still dodging the question in favour of taking ever cheapening shots eh? Yes or no, quite simple thumbsup.gif

I'm not dodging the issue, it's not a yes or no question. You are bandying about the word assault and to me the teacher administered a disciplinary smack, he didn't trash the kids face which in my mind constitutes an assault. In my time I had plenty of clips from teachers when I stepped out of line and never once did I get my family to put any of them in hospital.

A very loaded question such as "when did you stop beating your wife"

the simplistic answer you are goading for is No. Most likely if he had not cuffed the kid, he would not have been beaten. Or, maybe the kids would have got their guns and knives out and starting wreaking havoc upon the students there. Or they might have gone back to the brother and said "This man shouted at us, made our family lose face" and yes the beating ensues. Or He did nothing, and someone's daughter is walking back from study club and has her cute little face disfigured by a harmless little bomb.

That's the kind of tripe simplistic question that a 14 yr old Thai kid might bring to the table, but I and we would expect better from a grown man. Especially a Rugby man if indeed you still are. You are making the assumption that he would be safe and everyone would be safe if he hadn't. You don't know that. You do know though that this guy is in hospital in great pain all over a little cuff to the ear of a couple of brats.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 2

I'm not dodging the issue, it's not a yes or no question. You are bandying about the word assault and to me the teacher administered a disciplinary smack, he didn't trash the kids face which in my mind constitutes an assault. In my time I had plenty of clips from teachers when I stepped out of line and never once did I get my family to put any of them in hospital.

Yes, the teacher was in a position of authority and had every right to discipline the kids even though not from his school. A disciplinary clip is exactly that and no more.

• Like 1

Chastisement and discipline does not have to be physical! Violence begets violence; there is no doubt about that.

First you must have a society that is clearly respecting people’s rights equally and is holding everybody to the law. Then the person who calls someone to order must have won some respect.

Every day I watch (because my wife does) Thai serials where violence is clearly the first reaction of anyone who is angry or even just bothered with anything or anybody. Especially women attack men and mostly get no retaliation. Gangs of men attack and beat individuals just because that is what their boss wants.

Here, everybody who has money or considers they have rank, from prime ministers down to policemen in the street, behaves as if they are above the law.

Children growing up with this around them are not going to consider behaving morally, thinking of others as equals to be respected. Students and their families here are only reflecting what they have learnt from infancy. Some of them have become teachers.

• Like 1

Very sad indeed. In my view, I would not point whose fault - neither students nor teachers. Both of them shows clearly frustrated & unhappy therefore it must be something wrong with school. Maybe the Awareness training should be set up in order to improve the rapport between teachers & students. Or are there the regular mentors in schools within Thailand?

While clearly students shouldn't be beating up teachers for any reason the old saying "violence begets violence" comes to mind... what the hell is any teacher doing slapping children in the head?

"The teenagers cursed at him, so he slapped Tun and Phon on the head."

If that's how you choose to discipline your children/ students I really wouldn't be surprised that they return the favour when in a position to do so... I appreciate that many of these Thai students are difficult to control and have violent tendencies but let's face it, this is a direct result of what they are shown by their role models, parents and teachers.

By abusing your position and resorting to violence as a teacher you are just reinforcing the misconception that violence is an acceptable means of enforcing your authority. I have very little sympathy with someone who acts violently and gets the favour returned in kind.

Nonsense , The nanny way of disiplining has failed. Fear is whats needed and more Fear. But in this case it was a mild slap around the head. I see it all the time in my high school , Reason for the retribution in this case seems because the boys are little thugs. Normally the boys accept the punishment and get with their schooling.

Edited by KKvampire

While clearly students shouldn't be beating up teachers for any reason the old saying "violence begets violence" comes to mind... what the hell is any teacher doing slapping children in the head?

"The teenagers cursed at him, so he slapped Tun and Phon on the head."

If that's how you choose to discipline your children/ students I really wouldn't be surprised that they return the favour when in a position to do so... I appreciate that many of these Thai students are difficult to control and have violent tendencies but let's face it, this is a direct result of what they are shown by their role models, parents and teachers.

By abusing your position and resorting to violence as a teacher you are just reinforcing the misconception that violence is an acceptable means of enforcing your authority. I have very little sympathy with someone who acts violently and gets the favour returned in kind.

Nonsense , The nanny way of disiplining has failed. Fear is whats needed and more Fear

Aye give em the cat'o'nine tails - flail the skin from their backs aaaarrrhhw00t.gif But seriously @Ferangled (if we are to believe) played rugger and maybe went on to be a lawyer because he is trying his best to 'grey' the area between assault and a disciplinary smack. As I said, in my day it was accepted to get a 'clip round the ear' for stepping out of line and nobody picked up assault rifles and handguns or resorted to mob violence in revenge. The people getting these smacks usually reflected on their own bad behaviour and accepted the chastisement.

I find it perfectly acceptable that having given a gobshite little spoilt brat of a kid a clip round the ear for being a cheeky gob <deleted> spoilt little brat with no understanding of respet for anyone, older or not, this Head Teacher was smashed in the face with a motorbike helmut, and then set upon by the gang of grown men and a few kids until he was pummelled. I also find it completely acceptable that when a female teacher tried to intervene she was threatened and called a Bitch. This is completely normal behaviour and they should be applauded for standing up for themselves; the whole gang of them en masse, against the nasty vindictive head teacher who dared to touch a hair on the head of one of the little turds.

well actually, no. I don't think this is acceptable, What planet are all you fluffy Thai defenders on where you leap to the defence of these bastards? Seriously! What is wrong with you. He is the head teacher. These "untouchable" kids mouth off at him, no doubt in a threatening manner, and he cuffs on. So according to the "when in Thailand" brigade therefore it is open season for him to have his head smashed in. Do you seriously believe that this is positive thing in society? Beggars belief.

it's yr 2012 not 1962,teacher should feel happy they did not shoot him,if in the usa,he might be dead,not that i find this way acceptable,but like I said it's 2012,things changed a lot

@ Ferangled: You clearly have never been in a Thai classroom, nor could you possibly have been around Thais generally. You have way, way over-exaggerated the significance of the head-touching issue. It doesn't apply really at all if the individual doing the touching is socially more advanced than he/she touched and it is very haphazardly adhered to anyways. I second the poster who said you need to toss out the guidebook. I have seen Thai teachers strike their charges ON THE HEAD OR FACE hundreds if not thousands of times.

Also, what head trauma are you talking about? The teacher's head trauma? It sounds like you didn't read my post very well. You're making up events and you tell me to "get a grip" when I commented on the very, very frequent lament from elderly Thais (at hearing stories like this one) that Thai culture is crumbling. I personally don't have any feelings one way or the other, so I'm not sure I still need to "get a grip".

Are you trying to justify the actions of the belligerent older brother (who was not in any way involved in what originally took place)? That's what it sounds like. This is Thailand. Period. They use corporal punishment in schools. Period. Get over it.

+1 and Thank You!

Kids these days just have no respect for their elders...Nothing wrong with a clip round the ear...the world is in the state it is due to the leftist liberal ideas of the ruling elite and those thay have brainwashed over the past few decades. Catch em and birch em, show them a lesson.

Next time I see your kid messing up and I clip him round the ear, you are ok with that?

Shut-up. Kids need discipline no matter who dishes-it-out. Parents and society in general have let things get way-out-of-hand. This is not freedom, but decadence.
  • Like 2

@ Ferangled: You clearly have never been in a Thai classroom, nor could you possibly have been around Thais generally. You have way, way over-exaggerated the significance of the head-touching issue. It doesn't apply really at all if the individual doing the touching is socially more advanced than he/she touched and it is very haphazardly adhered to anyways. I second the poster who said you need to toss out the guidebook. I have seen Thai teachers strike their charges ON THE HEAD OR FACE hundreds if not thousands of times.

As I mentioned the head touching bit I would like to clarify that it is obviously not accepted if the person is a complete stranger and there is absolutely no reason to be touching that person. In short it's OK between friends and enemies.

Actually on that subject the feet are really the touchy subject, I once nudged the other half with my foot and nearly started WW3w00t.gif

Edited by sysardman

Also, what head trauma are you talking about? The teacher's head trauma? It sounds like you didn't read my post very well. You're making up events and you tell me to "get a grip" when I commented on the very, very frequent lament from elderly Thais (at hearing stories like this one) that Thai culture is crumbling. I personally don't have any feelings one way or the other, so I'm not sure I still need to "get a grip".

Are you trying to justify the actions of the belligerent older brother (who was not in any way involved in what originally took place)? That's what it sounds like. This is Thailand. Period. They use corporal punishment in schools. Period. Get over it.

Yes clearly if you have seen teachers slapping children about the head & face hundreds if not thousands of times then that's perfectly acceptable behaviour in a modern society...?! Has it never struck you that possibly that may be the route cause of the excessive violence we see here... no, crazy stuff, this teaching method is obviously working a charm and we are reaping the rewards in this truly functional modern society that is Thailand!!!

Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across? Again, must be me and my "slanted" perspective of life! Couldn't possibly just deal with the subject matter and debate in an adult fashion I guess... maybe not enough hugs from mummy or one to many beatings from daddy, eh?!

• Like 1