Dvd-Rw No Longer Rewriting

samtam

I recently bought a new HP laptop Windows 7 and was easily able to re-write DVD-RW from downloaded movies on Vuze. Now my computer doesn't recognise DVD-RW, even brand new ones. It does however record on DVD-R. Is there any programme I can use to restore the RW function? thanks.

I think the issue is that it's not cleaning (erasing) information on used DVD-RWs. It keeps requesting me to insert a new DVD for burning. As I said, it worked perfectly well, but has recently started to be uncooperative.

I think the issue is that it's not cleaning (erasing) information on used DVD-RWs. It keeps requesting me to insert a new DVD for burning. As I said, it worked perfectly well, but has recently started to be uncooperative.

I was going to say the same as Daffy, but you said it wasn't working with new DVD-RW's as well...Reformat the DVD-RW disc and try again. If that doesn't work, try with different burning software. let us know if you have some luck.

I've had similar problems on my laptop and there are two things I found

1. Are you using Princos because I've found them to be rubbish - worth trying the pricier top quality brands.

2. If you are feeling brave you could try isopropol alcohol on a lint free cloth to clean the read/write head. I've done this and found previously unrecognised Princos work again.

No, not using Princos, but Imation. How on earth would I find the eraser head?! I tried the erasure manually and it worked. Thanks for everyone's advice.

I would try to explain it but I think your best course would be to look on Youtube for 'cleaning CD/DVD drive read/write heads (or laser).

Personally I'd forget about DVDRW, not worth fooling around with. Just write to a flashdrive and use that for playback in a player that has a USB port. It's all much faster and more reliable.

Anyway DVDs are so cheap in bulk.

Yes, but some of the downloads wont go onto USB, and even if they do, they don't play on the TV.

Format the USB stick (say, 16 GB) as NTSF, not FAT. Use a DVD player that has a USB slot as well (always useful). You can test it at the store before you buy. I'm not advising you to do anything I haven't done myself. :)

• 2 months later...

Yes, but some of the downloads wont go onto USB, and even if they do, they don't play on the TV.

Format the USB stick (say, 16 GB) as NTSF, not FAT. Use a DVD player that has a USB slot as well (always useful). You can test it at the store before you buy. I'm not advising you to do anything I haven't done myself. smile.png

Can you only use this reformatted USB in a DVD player, or can you use it in the TV USB port?

Format the USB stick (say, 16 GB) as NTSF, not FAT. Use a DVD player that has a USB slot as well (always useful). You can test it at the store before you buy. I'm not advising you to do anything I haven't done myself. smile.png

Can you only use this reformatted USB in a DVD player, or can you use it in the TV USB port?

On a recent model TV the chances are excellent that you can use it.

For me the USB stick had to be FAT32 formatted to work on my DVD player. NTFS did not work at all.

Formatting a USB drive as FAT32 means it still works fine on a PC or Mac but you are limited to 4GB in writable size.

On a recent model TV the chances are excellent that you can use it.