Opening Bank Account?

I'm trying to open a savings account here in Bangkok, with one of the Thai banks.

I went to Kasikorn bank today, the Ramkemhueng branch. 3 years ago, I opened an account there, at that particular branch, and never had any problems with opening it or using it on a tourist visa.

Apparently my account was inactive for too long, and so they closed it. Also regulations have apparently become more strict in the past 3 years, and they told me I couldn't open an account without a work permit or study visa.

I found out Bangkok Bank is not as strict. They almost were though. They told me there was a 3rd document they would accept. a signed and sworn affidavit by me, with my Thai address, and swearing that that is where I live. They told me this affidavit had to be filled out and signed at the US embassy.

I can make an appointment to the US embassy to get this done.

What do you guys suggest?

Go ahead, get the affidavit from the US Embassy ( I called them, apparently I can get it even if I am just on a tourist visa.) and then open an account with Bangkok Bank?

Go to another branch of Kasikorn (seems to me I heard the Suk branch might still do it even just on tourist visa.) ?

Go to another bank (which bank??) that will allow me to open only on a tourist visa?

As mentioned I AM only on a tourist visa, but have heard plenty of people opening accounts with just a tourist visa and Thai address. I did myself 3 years ago, but when I went to that same branch today was shut down, so maybe things have changed a bit in that time.

Try another branch or two before going to the Embassy and forking out $50 for one of those letters. Unfortunately, different bank branch managers seem to enforce their own version of their headquarters' polices/rules (or don't fully understand them). You might want to try the various banks at the Cheang Wattana/Bangkok Immigration on the bottom floor since these banks deal with a lot of farangs who are always visiting immigration. I was there today to do my 90 day address report and also opened another fixed savings account with Bangkok Bank....the combined time to do my address report and open the new bank account was right at 60 minutes...fortunately, immigration was processing address report pretty efficiently today and it only took about 45 minutes...to open the new bank account it took about 15 minutes.

• 1 month later...