Keeway 200Cc Superlight Cruiser . Chinese Import

scorpio

I have see Keeways in Taiwan for many years and always assumed that they were a local brand. Over the past four years, I have bought two sets of "Chinese" scooters for visitors who come over without drivers licenses (here the 50cc scooters don't need a license). The first two were a mainland Chinese brand and complete junk. The second two were Keeway. They are much better made machines.

Keeway are made in mainland China PDR but along with Lifan don' have the junk bike rep that many other Chinese brands have. Taiwanese manufactured machines such as Sym and Kymco are way ahead in terms of build quality but, of course, that is reflected in their higher prices.

The two popular Lifan models currently available in Thailand, LF200GY-5a and the LF250-B, are 100% manufactured in Thailand.

so what?

what is the difference of manufacturing the same shitty Chinese bike parts in China or Thailand or elsewhere?

Shit is shit everywhere Richard.smile.png

So basically you say: All you define as shit is shit. Great discussion. Or smalltalk in the kindergarten? Richard is giving good arguments and you act like a child. We all know that Honda is the best value. Its getting boring.

I hope some farang is buying this bike soon and tells us some first hand facts. DO IT NOW. Keeway is the second best value for money ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

^

sure how can i define a Chinese bike in biking? biggrin.png

Richard giving good arguments about what? Richard most probably getting commissionbiggrin.png from Chinese companies or he is working for one now. So, i cannot accept his arguments as a valid point as they are not objective

I posted a photo here as well so is not it a valid argument?

I will do my best in TV bike forum to discourage people to buy these bike man. What ever you call it. Kindergarten or asylum.

and how do you know Keeway is the second best value here? You do not even own one.

Even you are still waiting first hand facts from some others that can buy this bike.

Why cannot you buy one first and enlighten us about the bike?

Or you basicly, you do not trust a Chinese bike as well? do you have guts to do thatclap2.gif ?

Edited by loserlazer

If the scooter picture you posted was yours, you probably can show us a good amount of pictures. Show us it was a Chinese scooter with some decent engine, and not some 50cc two-stroke scooter from a European country that was modified with an 180cc big bore kit.

If it was a 50cc two-stroke scooter with a big bore kit I can understand that the swingarm failed, similar as a swingarm of a Honda CBR150R is not made to house a 540cc engine... (and not forget that still most 50cc scooters in Europe are two-strokes, which give an extra bang).

Anyway, as Loserlazer cannot produce more pictures to identify the scooter I will shine some light on it. The scooter who lost it's rear swingarm is a Honda Dio... (I think they are manufactured in Japan)

post-12170-0-01610600-1346066271_thumb.j

post-12170-0-71404800-1346066282_thumb.j

• Like 1

Here a Honda Dio modified with a two-stroke 150cc big bore kit (the Honda Dio is 49cc original)....

By the way, I not say that the Honda Dio is a bad quality scooter, they actually very reliable, but as they are often modified to run big bore and other performance upgrades that exceed the original design specs 10 times or more it's not uncommon that things break off.

Edited by Richard-BKK

ok lads relax ;-)

maybe i , or someone else will buy a keeway 200 superlight, for 60,000 baht i do not expect much , for cruising around town and the odd 400 k trip once a month . thats all

I found a small review of the Keeway Superlight 200 http://www.motorcycl...00-SportCruiser

OK, good find. But i hope we get some first hand (owner) information in future...

Imho these bikes are worth to give it a try (if you like such kind of bikes):

SuperLight 200

Dorado 250

RKV 200

With these bikes i am a bit sceptical (many plastic parts, for street riding maybe OK):

TX 200

TXM 200

Some other bikes sold as "M-Bike" are not Keeway bikes AFAIK.

We already have some owners of the RKV 200. So we sure will get some more information about their reliability and service quality.

If the scooter picture you posted was yours, you probably can show us a good amount of pictures. Show us it was a Chinese scooter with some decent engine, and not some 50cc two-stroke scooter from a European country that was modified with an 180cc big bore kit.

If it was a 50cc two-stroke scooter with a big bore kit I can understand that the swingarm failed, similar as a swingarm of a Honda CBR150R is not made to house a 540cc engine... (and not forget that still most 50cc scooters in Europe are two-strokes, which give an extra bang).

Anyway, as Loserlazer cannot produce more pictures to identify the scooter I will shine some light on it. The scooter who lost it's rear swingarm is a Honda Dio... (I think they are manufactured in Japan)

hahah:) really.cheesy.gif

you just spill more beans. i will try to shed more light on it at the end.

Dear Loserlazer, I know it's difficult to find more information therefore I will help you, the accident happened on 19 August 2012 in Istanbul Turkey.

See here the original news article http://www.sonhaberl...ali-124825h.htm

Do you still want to convince people that it was a Chinese scooter...???

For people who more into video http://videolar.habe...rlere-carpt.mp4 By the way the scooter was/is a somewhat older model of the Honda Silverwing, registered to a rental company in Istanbul....

Edited by Richard-BKK

Just out of interest, as I don't know where they are made, Mityon on Pattaya Tai have some new KTMs for sale. I saw them in the window and said to the pretty one "They aren't real KTM's are they?". She said "Yes"....which she always does....so I took a left and left again into the lane, parked up and went for a look. On arriving at the far end of the showroom I discovered 2 200cc singles and a 690. The salesgirl who had followed me down to where I stood, when asked, went and found out the price.

For the miniscule 200 you will need to part with 220.000 baht and for the 690 you will need to part with 620.000 baht. I couldn't stop laughing! I was still laughing as I rode up Theppraya Rd on my way home.

Now remind me, how much is a Z1000 or CBR1000 or an as new super sports bike off the likes of Red Baron???

PS: I was just having a chuckle again just thinking about it! 620.000 blink.png

Edited by BSJ

Dear Loserlazer, I know it's difficult to find more information therefore I will help you, the accident happened on 19 August 2012 in Istanbul Turkey.

See here the original news article http://www.sonhaberl...ali-124825h.htm

Do you still want to convince people that it was a Chinese scooter...???

For people who more into video http://videolar.habe...ere-carpt.mp4 By the way the scooter was/is a somewhat older model of the Honda Silverwing, registered to a rental company in Istanbul....

It's amazing how far our trolls will go to malign the Chinese.

• Like 1

Crikey Jsixpack, your not that naive are you. The Chinese are into every trick in the book to make a buck. Replacing quality parts, in the stolen designs they are using, with dodgy cheapo parts is common place. In Australia it seems like there are mountains of Chinese lawn mowers and yard equipment, chain saws and leaf blowers in every scrap heap....all using the ubiquitous Honda or Stihl copy engines. Trust me, the real deal is always better than the copy!

Crikey Jsixpack, your not that naive are you. The Chinese are into every trick in the book to make a buck. Replacing quality parts, in the stolen designs they are using, with dodgy cheapo parts is common place. In Australia it seems like there are mountains of Chinese lawn mowers and yard equipment, chain saws and leaf blowers in every scrap heap....all using the ubiquitous Honda or Stihl copy engines. Trust me, the real deal is always better than the copy!

Lets talk about fake, what does Australia make pretty good – diary products, and to be more precise imitations of European cheese and other diary products. O, I'm sure that those poor Australian diary farmers did not know that names like Gouda, Edam, Parmesan and so on are actual registered trademarks...

Lets look at something easy, like Mozzarella, which holds the status of a protected designation of origin (PDO) in Europe, it also has been granted a trademark received registry number 1107/96... Still you can find enough Australian produced Mozzarella cheese...

Anyway, it's worldwide a well known fact that Australian dairy companies break here and there a few trademarks, but I would not say that all Australian dairy companies are bad.

It's the same with Chinese motorcycle manufacturers, a good amount makes motorcycles which should not even be called motorcycle, but you have a few that set themselves apart from the rest.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Lets talk about fake, what does Australia make pretty good – diary products, and to be more precise imitations of European cheese and other diary products. O, I'm sure that those poor Australian diary farmers did not know that names like Gouda, Edam, Parmesan and so on are actual registered trademarks...

Lets look at something easy, like Mozzarella, which holds the status of a protected designation of origin (PDO) in Europe, it also has been granted a trademark received registry number 1107/96... Still you can find enough Australian produced Mozzarella cheese...

Anyway, it's worldwide a well known fact that Australian dairy companies break here and there a few trademarks, but I would not say that all Australian dairy companies are bad.

It's the same with Chinese motorcycle manufacturers, a good amount makes motorcycles which should not even be called motorcycle, but you have a few that set themselves apart from the rest.

Nice attempt at equivalency there.

For your post to be a valid argument you'd have to prove the Austrailian (and American because it's done there also) is in fact substantially inferior. And not only inferior, but does not deliver what it promises. As in, instead of using real milk, they use vegetable oil. Or since some issues that come along with ownership of a Chinese bike could be hazardous to ones health that eating the non Euro cheese could endager your life more than eating the Euro cheese. As an aside, I think that paying homage to Mozzarella or other cheese by calling your cheese ***-style is fine but if there is a substantial reason for the cheese to be well known they should be able to keep the actual name.

And in regards to your comment "but you have a few that set themselves apart from the rest"...just because you're a gold medalist at the Special Olympics <snip>

Edited by soundman
Name calling.

Nice attempt at equivalency there.

For your post to be a valid argument you'd have to prove the Austrailian (and American because it's done there also) is in fact substantially inferior. And not only inferior, but does not deliver what it promises. As in, instead of using real milk, they use vegetable oil. Or since some issues that come along with ownership of a Chinese bike could be hazardous to ones health that eating the non Euro cheese could endager your life more than eating the Euro cheese. As an aside, I think that paying homage to Mozzarella or other cheese by calling your cheese ***-style is fine but if there is a substantial reason for the cheese to be well known they should be able to keep the actual name.

And in regards to your comment "but you have a few that set themselves apart from the rest"...just because you're a gold medalist at the Special Olympics <snip>

It's hard to say if Australian cheese with a label like Mozzarella will be a health hazard, not one has a European health certificate. While all the Chinese motorcycles available in Thailand are available in Europe are compliant with European safety regulation and can be legally registered.

One thing I know is when you buy the cheapest Mozzarella cheese at a Thai supermarket, it comes from Australia and because it's dam_n cheap you know it's not exactly the same taste... but it's fine as you only buy it to make some lasagna for the evening... not a 5-star dinner

Edited by soundman

I'm not a knee-jerk type of person. You probably don't realize that it was once exactly the same w/ Japanese stuff. It was total crap. I remember my dad railing against some piece of Japanese junk he'd bought to try to save a dollar. I noticed myself that any Japanese toy quickly stopped working. The first Japanese imported cars? Laughed at and scorned--justly. Tin cans they were.

At some point the level of quality rises to become acceptable if they are to compete. So it was w/ the Japanese, and so it's becoming w/ the Chinese. Lifans and Keeways are competing internationally and Lifans at least have won approval from their owners. You can check out the international forums.

I'd grant you that if in Thailand there was a small Japanese cruiser, it would likely be of higher quality. Of course it would cost much more as well.

But, you see, there simply isn't any. Meantime, Keeway or Lifan are good 'nuff. Hearing better things about Platinum, dunno about JRD. Did see an old Platinum running around the other day, and one parked at Friendship w/ 11,000 on it.

I'm not a knee-jerk type of person. You probably don't realize that it was once exactly the same w/ Japanese stuff. It was total crap. I remember my dad railing against some piece of Japanese junk he'd bought to try to save a dollar. I noticed myself that any Japanese toy quickly stopped working. The first Japanese imported cars? Laughed at and scorned--justly. Tin cans they were.

At some point the level of quality rises to become acceptable if they are to compete. So it was w/ the Japanese, and so it's becoming w/ the Chinese. Lifans and Keeways are competing internationally and Lifans at least have won approval from their owners. You can check out the international forums.

I'd grant you that if in Thailand there was a small Japanese cruiser, it would likely be of higher quality. Of course it would cost much more as well.

But, you see, there simply isn't any. Meantime, Keeway or Lifan are good 'nuff. Hearing better things about Platinum, dunno about JRD. Did see an old Platinum running around the other day, and one parked at Friendship w/ 11,000 on it.

Yep, your right about a lot of the early Jap stuff. It was cheap and nasty. And after WW2 they had a lot of help from America and England to get on their feet again. Obviously that help didn't extend to quality control! The difference is about 50 years and we see the Chinese making the same mistakes that the Japanese did....plus a few more. I have a mechanical engineering background and it is amazing to me in a time of CNC machining, rapid prototyping and high availability of quality raw material supplies that the Chinese continue to cheap out to save 5 cents when it would have been prudent to make the part better and save 2 cents.

In the future I am sure they will see the mistakes they have made as ridiculous or stupid, or both, and follow a higher path to achieve success.

The cheese analogy has me lusting after Ritz crackers and Blue vein cheese at the moment. Think I'll head out to Makro for a few supplies. thumbsup.gif

You`re right about the quality of the first Japanese machines. Poor quality recycled alloy and short lifespan 2 stroke engines were the problem. Honda with their 4 stroke engines quickly built a rep for reliability, and then Kawasaki with their ZEDs and Suzuki with their bulletproof GSes followed suit.

Yep, your right about a lot of the early Jap stuff. It was cheap and nasty. And after WW2 they had a lot of help from America and England to get on their feet again. Obviously that help didn't extend to quality control! The difference is about 50 years and we see the Chinese making the same mistakes that the Japanese did....plus a few more. I have a mechanical engineering background and it is amazing to me in a time of CNC machining, rapid prototyping and high availability of quality raw material supplies that the Chinese continue to cheap out to save 5 cents when it would have been prudent to make the part better and save 2 cents.

In the future I am sure they will see the mistakes they have made as ridiculous or stupid, or both, and follow a higher path to achieve success.

The cheese analogy has me lusting after Ritz crackers and Blue vein cheese at the moment. Think I'll head out to Makro for a few supplies. thumbsup.gif

I agree that talking about the dairy production in Australia, was a bit of a sideway... but it reflects the idea of Australians doing business. I'm not allowed by forum regulations to give an impression of the legal issues between Australia and other countries in Asia...

But obviously Australians feel they are outside the legal system of which they so proud to want represent...

Really which patent registered in Australia is really unique, other than drinking uncooled beer?

I agree that talking about the dairy production in Australia, was a bit of a sideway... but it reflects the idea of Australians doing business. I'm not allowed by forum regulations to give an impression of the legal issues between Australia and other countries in Asia...

But obviously Australians feel they are outside the legal system of which they so proud to want represent...

Really which patent registered in Australia is really unique, other than drinking uncooled beer?

Crikey Richard, you gunna need a lot more bait on ya hook! Try some lovely Blue Vein cheese mate, I am having some now. In fact I'll ask the penicillin bacteria in the cheese if they have any concerns about where they are made, or where they are sent.........................no answer, I guess they just don't care! ermm.gif

• 4 months later...

If your planning on geeting a bike to do long trips on I think you would be better off with at least a tried & true bike the Phantom or Boss has to be a much better & comfortaable ride & parts for them are easily accessable.

I looked at the key way line & it looked like a ploished up JRD without the rediculous imbellishments. With a name Like KEY WAY (THE WAY OF SHIT) I wouldn't personally be interested at 30,000 baht. It most likely will have a zero resale value like the JRD & Platinum. If you get it keep an Eye in the rearview mirror Chinese rides have a reputation of external parts mysteriously falling off as you drive them. Better to lose 10-20,000 baht on a reliable namebrand bike that you can sell quick than to risk breaking down in bum <snip> & finding out they have to order a part from china instead of being made in Rayong. Unless this is just a bike you would pitch when it gives you problems get a real proven ride . Saving 20,-30,000 is well worth not having traveling headaches.Especially in engines. China has a no name no game status in any country other than China

Good luck any way you go.

These bikes sell well in the UK and the US Kee in keyway is pronounced completely to the way Kee is said in the thai language for shit .I have had Honda,s for 40 years and this is a good bike for the money.The after sales service is very good.

If your planning on geeting a bike to do long trips on I think you would be better off with at least a tried & true bike the Phantom or Boss has to be a much better & comfortaable ride & parts for them are easily accessable.

I looked at the key way line & it looked like a ploished up JRD without the rediculous imbellishments. With a name Like KEY WAY (THE WAY OF SHIT) I wouldn't personally be interested at 30,000 baht. It most likely will have a zero resale value like the JRD & Platinum. If you get it keep an Eye in the rearview mirror Chinese rides have a reputation of external parts mysteriously falling off as you drive them. Better to lose 10-20,000 baht on a reliable namebrand bike that you can sell quick than to risk breaking down in bum <snip> & finding out they have to order a part from china instead of being made in Rayong. Unless this is just a bike you would pitch when it gives you problems get a real proven ride . Saving 20,-30,000 is well worth not having traveling headaches.Especially in engines. China has a no name no game status in any country other than China

These bikes sell well in the UK and the US Kee in keyway is pronounced completely to the way Kee is said in the thai language for shit .I have had Honda,s for 40 years and this is a good bike for the money.The after sales service is very good.

I am not convinced buying Chinese is a good investment, but I am sure those in Western countries that service Chinese brands would do their best to keep the things on the road. Afterall, they can't all be Monday and Friday bikes!

I was just in the states 2 months ago & no Keeyways are being sold that I saw in 9 different dealerships. Most Americans know that Chineese make very sketchy parts & cut every corner known to man. No one will disagree on that point.

if they were that great of rides they would have eliminated Honda & Kawasaki years ago. Fact is all they can do is poorly copy Japanese bikes using the lowest grade steel & borderline parts to go with it.

Same with the Chinese motors they use in the fans we buy in Thailand for our houses. They are basicaly manufactured by parts that machinists would chuck in the bin. To many parts are made out of tolerance & as with the sunlight starlight fans etc. when it breaks the home shopping centers just put a refurbished part in it to save a buck. I would bet a case of beer they do the same for theyre bikes as they are built by the same unscrupulous people that sell Thailand they're garbage. Thailand will accept less than perfect or factory 3rds (that should be discarded) to keep the loans to Thailand floating.

you just don't see much Chinese bikes in the U.S. because they would have a hell of a time passing any of the rigorous inspections. China isn't highly noted for quality control. At least the crap China sends the U.S. is much better than what you get here!

And the matt black bike looks like a 3rd grader used a rattle can on it for practice......YUK!

Machinists’

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bought a TXM 200 Keeway yesterday and drove it back home on a 80 km drive to my home. Now anyone can grill me for buying a cheapo Chinese bike. I payed 59.000 Baht for it and it seems to be a steal for this amount of money and looks nice too.

Happy grilling

Good for you! The TXM 200 looks OK in the dealership, now you get to find out how good it is in your ownership!