Visa Coming To Myanmar

MZurf

(CNN) -- In a sign of the world's growing rapprochement with Mynamar, credit card giant Visa has announced it is entering the market of the once isolated Southeast Asian nation.

"The first priority for Myanmar will be preparing for the influx of international visitors resulting from the relaxation of international sanctions," the company said in a press release Friday.

"With Yangon's hotels and major tourist attractions now regularly full and the country's airports seeing increased passenger numbers, connection to the global economy is a key element in opening up the market."

Full article

I just came back from Myanmar, and it would really be nice to use the credit card instead of having to carry a couple of thousand dollars in cash. In country, I hear that everybody is expecting credit cards to be accepted "soon".

Some hotels accept cards, but they charge between 4% and 6% service fee. I heard that they actually fax the card details and amounts to affiliated hotels in other countries, and your card will be deducted from, say, Hong Kong.

In one major tourist restaurant with dinner dance last night, I asked whether they accepted cards. The waiter had to call the cashier, as he didn't know what I was talking about. The cashier explained: "Sorry sir, you have to actually pay your bill". biggrin.png