My Experience With Thai Police Last Night , And I Have Few Questions

flyx

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should not of allowed them to go through your pockets to begin with. If he asked you to empty them, then that is acceptable, but there should be just cause to do so. Not some crazed period to search and destroy expats because some expat-fool was caught selling drugs.

• Like 2

A few days ago I posted in a topic describing the plan to curtail daytime police checkpoints, ostensibly to alleviate the traffic jams tey invariably cause. It was said that checkpoints could only be set up after 9PM from now on.

My take was that it was tantamount to breaking the cops' ricebowls, and such nefarious tea-money hunts no longer being avalable to them, the slack must be take up somewhere else. Missing the multitudes of 100 baht notes from hapless moto drivers, the cops might just start looking for bigger game...

Could this be the beginning?

There is plenty of traffic on the roads after 9pm. Probably a higher percentage of those that can and will cough up.

Maybe the cops would just prefer to work on this in the dark where fewer people can see....and film?

Slightly off the subject but to do with corruption by police officers.

Sunday I travelled over to a market near the Cambodian border, on the way back there are many checkpoints many of which areunmanned or the pc is reading his paper or chatting to his mates. However on one of them they were checking the cars asthey came through. i was following three cars who were stopped and waved on. I was asked to stop which I did, wound down the window and showed my thai driving license. The policeman wasn't interested in looking at the driving license just said something to my Thai wife. she told me that he said 'i had been driving in the wrong lane and I was to pull over to the side and pay 100b' Now those of you who drive through a checkpoint know there is only one way you can go and only one lane besides i did exactly the same as the previous cars. Anyway we parked up outside the building then was told to move further along then my wife got out of the car with a 100B and took it to the Police building. the man there told her just to put it in the box by the window. This no doubt was tea/beer money 'donated' by farangs. If it was a legitimate infringement and fine then one could have asked for and got a receipt. Bent coppers everywhere but you have to chin-up smile and accept this is Thailand.

Does anyone know anyone (first hand) who has been stitched up by the Police planting something at a search ????

I know someone who was threatened with that unless they paid a bribe to police. You shouldn't be paranoid but nor should you have delusions that Thailand is an idyllic tropical paradise. You can't trust the police.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1) Thai police can also take your blood any time they want legally

2) It IS legal for them to search your bags etc. in any public place and also ask you to empty your pockets

3) It is NOT legal for them to put their hands in your pockets in public

4) You are required by Thai law to carry your passport with you at ALL times but the smaller laminated ones were excepted in 2008

Slightly off the subject but to do with corruption by police officers.

Sunday I travelled over to a market near the Cambodian border, on the way back there are many checkpoints many of which areunmanned or the pc is reading his paper or chatting to his mates. However on one of them they were checking the cars asthey came through. i was following three cars who were stopped and waved on. I was asked to stop which I did, wound down the window and showed my thai driving license. The policeman wasn't interested in looking at the driving license just said something to my Thai wife. she told me that he said 'i had been driving in the wrong lane and I was to pull over to the side and pay 100b' Now those of you who drive through a checkpoint know there is only one way you can go and only one lane besides i did exactly the same as the previous cars. Anyway we parked up outside the building then was told to move further along then my wife got out of the car with a 100B and took it to the Police building. the man there told her just to put it in the box by the window. This no doubt was tea/beer money 'donated' by farangs. If it was a legitimate infringement and fine then one could have asked for and got a receipt. Bent coppers everywhere but you have to chin-up smile and accept this is Thailand.

I think if it was legitimate you would get a ticket and the fine would be paid later. Cash up front to police is never legitimate.

Does anyone know anyone (first hand) who has been stitched up by the Police planting something at a search ????

I know someone who was threatened with that unless they paid a bribe to police. You shouldn't be paranoid but nor should you have delusions that Thailand is an idyllic tropical paradise. You can't trust the police.

You probably find in most places around the world that the police is not constituted of the most trustworthy members of society.

• Like 1

You probably find in most places around the world that the police is not constituted of the most trustworthy members of society.

Everybody seems to like to jump on the 'corrupt Thailand' bandwagon but I think it is just as rife in the west but not as open. Has anybody sat back and worked out the amount of tax collected from booze, fuel, cigs, paypackets etc and considering that everything is now privatised and hospitals, schools, postal services etc are being pared back to the bone - where is all that money going?. The banks are running roughshod over people and savings accounts are drawing minimal interest, just doesn't add up to me.

In many western countries they are considered very trustworthy (although not perfect). You can't even compare the conduct of the British police, for example, with the Thai police. In Thailand the police are just a protection racket.

In many western countries they are considered very trustworthy (although not perfect). You can't even compare the conduct of the British police, for example, with the Thai police. In Thailand the police are just a protection racket.

I specifically had some British police forces in mind too. Although the problems are different, hardly anyone would use descriptions such as 'very trustworthy'. Just to mention a few from a long list:

https://en.wikipedia...f_Ian_Tomlinson

https://en.wikipedia...hacking_scandal

Edited by Morakot

A thai friend told me once: when a crime, robbery, abduction , murder occurs in thailand, the primary suspect are police themself...whistling.gif

Dont never let police touch your pocket, yes they do plant drugs on foreigner.

I have always understood that the Police can search anyone given 'reasonable grounds' as the above post mentions.

However, they are not allowed to place their hands inside your pockets. They should ask you to empty your pockets and then they can pat you down to check there is nothing remaining in your pockets.

Rumour has it that the reason they are searching foreigners in the Sukhumvit area (near Sukhumvit Soi 22) is that the area is a known for westerners dealing drugs.

Not true. the reason they are around that area is:

1: some dumwit who used to own a shit load of massage parlours and the land on suk soi 10. sold out

2. The people who owned clinton plaza....sold out

3. The people who owned/leased the old asoke beer gardens sold out.

Therefore the only way these fat ignorant corrupt unitelligent police can get any coin is to harass people in the only farang bar area that is soi 22.

• Like 1

I specifically had some British police forces in mind too. Although the problems are different, hardly anyone would use descriptions such as 'very trustworthy'. Just to mention a few from a long list:

I never paid or was asked for a donation from a British copper, but here in Thailand, it's happened many times, as far as I'm concerned the Thai so called police are the scum of the earth. Interestingly last night while drinking with a few Thai friends, I asked them ? Do you like the Thai police, everyone said NO

I never paid or was asked for a donation from a British copper, but here in Thailand, it's happened many times, as far as I'm concerned the Thai so called police are the scum of the earth. Interestingly last night while drinking with a few Thai friends, I asked them ? Do you like the Thai police, everyone said NO

Their modus operandi is slightly different to the Thai police. They for example take your confidential information and sell it to the press or beat you to pulp that you don't need money any more... See links above.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Look mate, I've lived here in Thailand full time for over 12yrs, I like it here,far better than in the UK, but if there's one thing far better in the UK than in Thailand it's the police. I think the British police are 2nd to none,other people may consider other police forces to be superior,up to them, but I don't think anybody except a recent arrival would consider the Thai police to be worthy of consideration.

Has anyone made such consideration that the Thai police is worthy of praise?

I see, you haven't lived in the UK for a long time. Sorry to say, but this could possibly be the reason for what I think is a slightly distorted view of the British police forces.

Either way, nice to hear your experience, good man.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

This country is only a few octaves higher than Myanmar or Cambodia as far as police and military go, they will tell you we have Thai democracy , this is not to be confused with democracy.coffee1.gif

That's true!, the head of the Armed Forces gave a speech a few weeks back about Thais and democracy.

Look mate, I've lived here in Thailand full time for over 12yrs, I like it here,far better than in the UK, but if there's one thing far better in the UK than in Thailand it's the police. I think the British police are 2nd to none,other people may consider other police forces to be superior,up to them, but I don't think anybody except a recent arrival would consider the Thai police to be worthy of consideration.

I see, you haven't lived in the UK for a long time. Sorry to say, but this could possibly be the reason for what I think is a slightly distorted view of the British police forces.

Another good point, especially London Police who have a good track record of bumping off unarmed electricians and news vendors.

Their modus operandi is slightly different to the Thai police. They for example take your confidential information and sell it to the press or beat you to pulp that you don't need money any more... See links above.

Obviously there are going to be some bad cases but that proves nothing except the fact that the British police have a good complaints system. What are the chances of a successful complaint against the Thai police or an investigation into their misconduct?

Speak with my friends on Skype weekly, they also have a high opinion of the British police.

Visited the UK in April,didn't notice any difference,plenty of minor traffic laws that tended to piss me of,

But the police in the UK tend to carry out the law as fairly as possible,unlike the Thai(mafia) police

Who enjoy MAKING up the law for their own enrichment.

Speak with my friends on Skype weekly, they also have a high opinion of the British police.

Visited the UK in April,didn't notice any difference,plenty of minor traffic laws that tended to piss me of,

But the police in the UK tend to carry out the law as fairly as possible,unlike the Thai(mafia) police

The British police don't have to resort to tea money because they make it in other ways like speed traps, pulling double time to police football matches and the like plus attending crowd control courses to learn controversial techniques like kettling. As for real police work very little done on that front, my mother was recently mugged and had her purse stolen containing her pension - the police reaction was a phone call from a neighboring district (not even our local cop shop) and she was given a crime number to claim on insurance.

The British police don't have to resort to tea money because they make it in other ways like speed traps, pulling double time to police football matches and the like plus attending crowd control courses to learn controversial techniques like kettling. As for real police work very little done on that front, my mother was recently mugged and had her purse stolen containing her pension - the police reaction was a phone call from a neighboring district (not even our local cop shop) and she was given a crime number to claim on insurance.

There's also the option of legal manslaughter. Tomlinson!!!!!
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear of your mothers ordeal. Yes, there are many parts of law enforcement in the Uk

That are not what they should be, though that is generally not the fault of the police, they have to work within the confine of the law, very frustrating for them on many occasions.