My Experience With Thai Police Last Night , And I Have Few Questions

flyx

Look mate, I've lived here in Thailand full time for over 12yrs, I like it here,far better than in the UK, but if there's one thing far better in the UK than in Thailand it's the police. I think the British police are 2nd to none,other people may consider other police forces to be superior,up to them, but I don't think anybody except a recent arrival would consider the Thai police to be worthy of consideration.

None in modern parlance is ZERO. So being second to ZERO ain't much of a reccommendation is it?????

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their modus operandi is slightly different to the Thai police. They for example take your confidential information and sell it to the press or beat you to pulp that you don't need money any more... See links above.

Obviously there are going to be some bad cases but that proves nothing except the fact that the British police have a good complaints system. What are the chances of a successful complaint against the Thai police or an investigation into their misconduct?

The problems are systemic, not just a few bad cases. Unlike in Thailand, in the UK there is an Independent Police Complaints Commission; yet the reality is that rigid evidence shows that most complaints to the IPCC never make it. For those few that are taken, up a substantial amount is drop on the way, and when the IPCC does take up a case (due to the pressure of the media) the Crown Prosecution Service drops it --as the death of Ian Tomlinson has shown-- until in rare instances and under very lucky circumstance a parliamentary inquiry overturns this.

Indeed one can easily ask one's "friendly Bobby" on the street for direction, but it does make policing in the UK less problematic than it is in Thailand.

Edited by Morakot

Look mate, I've lived here in Thailand full time for over 12yrs, I like it here,far better than in the UK, but if there's one thing far better in the UK than in Thailand it's the police. I think the British police are 2nd to none,other people may consider other police forces to be superior,up to them, but I don't think anybody except a recent arrival would consider the Thai police to be worthy of consideration.

None in modern parlance is ZERO. So being second to ZERO ain't much of a reccommendation is it?????

I seriously believe your comments on the UK police are "Pollux" (well, you haven't lived there for 12 years) and the RTP are a no lesser force and in many ways more effective.

I seriously believe your comments on the UK police are "Pollux" (well, you haven't lived there for 12 years) and the RTP are a no lesser force and in many ways more effective.

I'm not sure to whom that comment is directed but out of intest I have been here since 1997. As the septics say "DO THE MATH"! Edited by stoutfella

The problems are systemic, not just a few bad cases. Unlike in Thailand, in the UK there is an Independent Police Complaints Commission; yet the reality is that rigid evidence shows that most complaints to the IPCC never make it. For those few that are taken, up a substantial amount is drop on the way, and when the IPCC does take up a case (due to the pressure of the media) the Crown Prosecution Service drops it --as the death of Ian Tomlinson has shown-- until in rare instances and under very lucky circumstance a parliamentary inquiry overturns this.

Indeed one can easily ask one's "friendly Bobby" on the street for direction, but it does make policing in the UK less problematic than it is in Thailand.

Most complaints are not upheld because they're not valid. The average Brit has faith in their police service, the average Thai despises theirs.

• Like 1

I'm not sure to whom that comment is directed but out of intest I have been here since 1997. As the septics say "DO THE MATH"!

Incidentally Pollux is a star in the constellation of Gemini and "STAR" certainly describes me!!!!

Most complaints are not upheld because they're not valid. The average Brit has faith in their police service, the average Thai despises theirs.

I have no "faith" in the U.K police whatsoever.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure to whom that comment is directed but out of interest I have been here since 1997. As the septics say "DO THE MATH"!

How dare you, people can compare RTP to any western police? Its beyond me, it let me completely speechless.

In UK i never heard tourist got shot by drunken police, and never got justice?

But in thailand it does happen, do you remember Joe Del Pinto, shot by a cop in Pai?

Sometimes i wonder if all these nonsensical message are not wrote by only 1 guy who hold many account on TV. Canot believe there are so many stupid people around...whistling.gif

What about the completely innocent Brazilian guy shot dead with multiple head wounds on the London Underground. An operation under control of Ms. Dick who was subsequently promoted, Oh. sorry, it was misinformation and lack of communication so apologies and all OK.

Whatever faults they might have, I prefer the Royal Thai Police.

• Like 1

i saw police was stopping taxies have foreigners passengers (they didnt stop cars with only thai persons!)

Given your reports it sounded like a brief detainment and wondering how you know they were only stopping foreign passengers and not any cars with Thai passengers?

I had the same thing happen on Rama 4 past Tesco / Lotus. The taxi driver saw the police and told me to fasten my seatbelt. When we pulled over the police officer ask me to get out the car. He looked through my wallet that at my passport. He then started to search my bags and stopped.

He found a Quran and a traditional Muslim Attire for prayer services. He asked me where I was coming from and I mentioned the British Club to give a talk there.

The officer put all my things back in my bag and told me to get back in the car and to go. I told my Muslim friend and he said the police officer thought I was with the Saudi Embassy and let me go.

Whatever faults they might have, I prefer the Royal Thai Police.

You have to kidding yourself. This is a police blunder, and yes it does happen in western country, but its not the norm. Police blunder are serious matter in europe.

Agree. Not the norm, but frequently happens.

Edited by Morakot

In UK i never heard tourist got shot by drunken police, and never got justice?

Yes, as already mentioned, but I'll posted the link for some background information as the poster seems to be completely unaware of it.

https://en.wikipedia...rles_de_Menezes

All these comparisons....

In the US,Australia, UK, all these bastions of civilization,freedom and rights your governments willingness to kill you is their only real control. And at times they do demonstrate it just to remind everyone.

You can be put to death for not paying a bus fare.

Don't pay the ticket and they will send a sheriff to confiscate property.

Try to protect your property and you will be clubbed.

Try to defend yourself from being clubbed and your will be shot to death.

All for the lack of $2.50

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 1

All these comparisons....

In the US,Australia, UK, all these bastions of civilization,freedom and rights your governments willingness to kill you is their only real control. And at times they do demonstrate it just to remind everyone.

You can be put to death for not paying a bus fare.

Don't pay the ticket and they will send a sheriff to confiscate property.

Try to protect your property and you will be clubbed.

Try to defend yourself from being clubbed and your will be shot to death.

All for the lack of $2.50

The rule of law operates its own consistent logic. In Thailand, however, such a consistency is considerably different than in the West.

This could be good or bad depending on the situation, as your vignette has just shown.

I cant believe that there are so Many naive Experts on Thailand in this forum

NO POLICE CAN TOUCH/SEARCH YOUR PERSON/CAR/MOTORCY IN PUBLIC without YOUR consent, unless they have a warrant ...no consent you will be asked to accompany them to the Police station ...THIS IS NOT ARREST it is a REQUEST

I pity where you came from as it must be a hell hole

Many Thai Police use the passport excuse to stop you.....one problem they are NOT IMMIGRATION and are basically checking your nationality + Visa status on behalf of Immigration

NO POLICE CAN TOUCH/SEARCH YOUR PERSON/CAR/MOTORCY IN PUBLIC without YOUR consent, unless they have a warrant ...no consent you will be asked to accompany them to the Police station ...THIS IS NOT ARREST it is a REQUEST

I pity where you came from as it must be a hell hole

Many Thai Police use the passport excuse to stop you.....one problem they are NOT IMMIGRATION and are basically checking your nationality + Visa status on behalf of Immigration

I think you might be the one mistaken right down to immigration police not being part of the Thai Police. It is akin to thinking a street cop can't arrest you for drugs and only a narcotics officer can.

I really dislike all the searches here, but to be fair it has always been done in an appropriate fashion. I have conceeded long ago that occasional searches just a fact of life while living here. If your polite and cooperate your usually on your way in no time. If you want all the rights you enjoy back home, go back home; your a guest here.

The stop and search is legal. However the fact they ignore taxi's full of Thai clubbers on their way to Whip and Narz, and all pilled up; In order to focus on farangs, tells its own story. Furthermore when they search and check the minute crevices on the inside of your wallet looking for the merest trace of powder it is again obvious what they are doing. My advice to you in future is do as I do. as soon as you get out, empty all your pockets and put your things on the back of the taxi. Give a smile and a sawatdi Khrap. Keep your eyes on what they are searching at all times, do not get distracted. Answer there questions politely and dont lie. If your going to soi cowboy dont be tempted to say somewhere else, they ask the taxi driver!. The combination of this behaviour lets them know 1. your not a tourist, 2. you have been stopped before and you know the score, 3. You are not gonna let anything get 'accidently dropped' in to your wallet, 4. You are a polite honest farang.

It winds me up the amount of times my taxi gets stopped for no other reason than I am a farang. The best way to deal with it is as above. TBH I am usually, out searched and back in the taxi and away inside 2-3 minutes maximum. Being confrontational with the Thai police is not to be recommended!!

• Like 1

I applaud your belief in freedom. Yes you are right, but the matter is more complicated than you're trying to make out.

Since 2004, one can be searched without a warrant in complex criminal and terrorism investigations, if it is believed that obtaining a warrant will hinder the investigation. The judgement of what is complex and hinders is a matter of officers interpreting the Special Case Investigation Act B.E. 2547 (section 24).

One's lawyer might have a different opinion about this as the officer's interpretation, but in day-to-day interaction not many people immediately have counsel to assist when stopped on the street. Similarly, the fact of not being very family with culture and or language can in instance make things harder for some people.

Please to try use more moderate language in your posts. Long spells of using capitals is also not considered polite.

Edited by Morakot

The stop and search is legal. However the fact they ignore taxi's full of Thai clubbers on their way to Whip and Narz, and all pilled up; In order to focus on farangs, tells its own story. Furthermore when they search and check the minute crevices on the inside of your wallet looking for the merest trace of powder it is again obvious what they are doing.

Conducting the search efficiently and completely?

Selective policing is not racism, it's manpower management. if a particular group of officers is tasked with deterring tourists using drugs that is what they do. There are other larger, less polite groups tasked with deterring drug use amongst nationals and they usually do it in much more invasive way.

• Like 1