Yingluck To Give Speeches At U.N. Meetings; Possible U.K. Visit In The Pipeline

webfact

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry didn't understand your plumbing anecdote either.

More of an analogy than an anecdote; and without wishing to insult your intelligence, i'm not sure how, save for using flashcards, i can dumb it down any further.

Just leave it as a monument to my lack of intelligence.

I don't understand your long Cliff Richard anecdote.

Surprised. Didn't think it was difficult to grasp. My mother told me that unless i can sing better than Cliff, i have no right to criticise him. My job is not singing. I am not being paid to sing. He is. Whether i could do any better is a complete irrelevance.

There are plenty of areas where one can criticise the PM.However if one's own English language skills are rubbish,probably best focus on other areas like her inexperience.Not a very complex point to grasp.

See the above. If you are still struggling with that analogy, here's another:

A plumber comes to fix your pipes and he makes a complete mess of the repairs, and then when you share your feelings about how terrible the plumber was to a friend, your friend turns around and says, "well hold on a sec, do you really think you are in any place to criticise his plumbing skills, as yours are terrible too?".

Still struggling? I give up.

P.S. whilst you are on the subject of other people's spelling, grammar and syntax, just out of interest, can you explain why you are incapable of putting spaces between your sentences?

Jayboy's inability to understand is possibly caused by the low quality of most tradesmen in Thailand. My rented house (I move out end of month) has just had an electrical isolator switch fitted UPSIDE DOWN. When I suggested to the g/f that I should point this out, she said no, he will lose face and be angry.

I don't understand your long Cliff Richard anecdote.

Surprised. Didn't think it was difficult to grasp. My mother told me that unless i can sing better than Cliff, i have no right to criticise him. My job is not singing. I am not being paid to sing. He is. Whether i could do any better is a complete irrelevance.

There are plenty of areas where one can criticise the PM.However if one's own English language skills are rubbish,probably best focus on other areas like her inexperience.Not a very complex point to grasp.

See the above. If you are still struggling with that analogy, here's another:

A plumber comes to fix your pipes and he makes a complete mess of the repairs, and then when you share your feelings about how terrible the plumber was to a friend, your friend turns around and says, "well hold on a sec, do you really think you are in any place to criticise his plumbing skills, as yours are terrible too?".

Still struggling? I give up.

P.S. whilst you are on the subject of other people's spelling, grammar and syntax, just out of interest, can you explain why you are incapable of putting spaces between your sentences?

Sorry didn't understand your plumbing anecdote either.

I would have thought the plumbing anecdote was pretty obvious as was the Cliff Richard one although if you're not British you may not have heard of him despite him being extremely successful. Maybe you're just being awkward?

I think the lack of spaces between you're sentences may be a display problem as they seem OK to me.

The few clips of the PM I've listened to are very difficult to follow so I'd say her English isn't that good but then maybe she's better at Chinese given her ancestry. As the Thai PM it's not obligatory for her to speak English although it would be a great advantage to her but if her command of the language is not that good then it's perfectly acceptable to use her own at the UN and rely on translators to convert to English. Their competence will be obvious to those who are proficient in Thai and English so if it's not up to standard then it will be known about as it's fairly fundamental to the running of the UN.

It's certainly true that there are many areas where the PM can be criticised, in fact almost to the point where I'd say that using the term PM might be inappropriate.

I think the lack of spaces between you're sentences may be a display problem as they seem OK to me.

I fancy not. Jayboy has been asked about this peculiar foible in the past, that, as the reader, makes his longer posts hard on the eyes, and rather than the "what are you talking about?" response one would expect were it an unintentional technical problem, the response rather is to ignore the question (as demonstrated again here).

It is only a minor point of course, but as someone who actually enjoys reading his posts, in spite usually of our disagreement, it does seem a funny thing to persist in doing, especially as in every other regard, his English is exemplary.

Edited by rixalex

Jayboy's inability to understand is possibly caused by the low quality of most tradesmen in Thailand. My rented house (I move out end of month) has just had an electrical isolator switch fitted UPSIDE DOWN. When I suggested to the g/f that I should point this out, she said no, he will lose face and be angry.

I guess ditto with my Cliff Richard bad singer analogy vis-a-vis the quality of singers in Thailand.

Am I the only one to be amused by these attacks on Yingluck's use of the English language given the appalling spelling, grammar and syntax? Normally I wouldn't comment on these semi literate offerings but if one is going to slur the PM"s poor English skills think "mote and beam".It's not of course even her first language which it is of couse, one must assume, of her critics.

Nothing personal JB but....

She has, as mentioned spent several years in the US studying for her MBA of which she would / should have gained a high skill levet of communication.

She was an executive of AIS for which she would / should also have the ability to communicate in English baring in mind the companies overseas commitments of which English was a must assuming she wasn,t as in the case of being PM, just a smiling face with near zero ability.

She should as premier of Thailand be able to communicate in and have reasonable English skills at International level at the very least, be confident in using them and put her point across to those in attendance and not enhance her reputation as the babling incoherrant spokesperson she has become.

Unlike us humble unassuming T.Visa members who do not and are not expected to have the skills of communicating English via the keypad, we can in spite of this, usually get our point across, excuse an correct our bablings, do not depend on bullsh*te excuses, but humbly accept our failings laugh.png ..... most importanlty we are usually understood.

While we do consider ourselves superior to the Shinwataras when it comes to integrity,loyalty and know the difference between right and wrong.

We likewise do not consider ourselves superior when it comes to screwing the citizens of Thailand.

Nor have the skills to lie, talk consistant political bullsh*t, find and form a party of coherts ect. ect.bent on an agenda to return a fugitive as the number one priority to once again plunder the assets of the country and enforce his will on the citizens ect. ect.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

Give her a chance. Let's see what she has to say and hopefully she will speak in Thai. However am wondering about the content of her speech, women's rights……hmm let's explore the LOS's record on protecting women and girls from exploitation/trafficking.

If you saw her effort at the world economic forum, expect to be, dazed, confounded and confused all in the space of a few minutes.

Please don't let her speak in English. please.

U.S..... U.K.... and now Myanmar.... September seems to be another month for her not to be in Thailand...

BANGKOK, Aug 22 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is scheduled to visit Myanmar next month to discuss the development of the Dawei deep-sea port project with the Myanmar president, Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said Wednesday.

Surapong said the premier will meet with President Thein Sein during her Sept 13-15 visit.

http://www.mcot.net/...age/403845.html

Amazingly, now she's not content with her 3 trips, she'll be spending even less time in Thailand in September...

PM to attend APEC Summit in Russia during September 8 - 9

BANGKOK, 29 August 2012 (NNT) The Foreign Affairs Ministry has announced that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will attend the 2012 APEC Summit in Russia during September 8-9.

http://61.19.244.31/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=TNFOR5508290010005

Putting Thailand on the international stage and promoting the country.

It must be so galling for some of you that she seems to be being taken seriously by many countries.

Surely must be good for the country.

• Like 1

It must be so galling for some of you that she seems to be being taken seriously by many countries.

You think first world countries take notice of LOS, a country run by corruption to a very high degree, and those countries know it. ?sad.png

How do you know they take her seriously? By the fact that they don't collapse into fits of belly laughs when she speaks?

A Prime Minister attending a summit doesn't require much skill, just the job title. I'm sure though, just the act of blowing her nose successfully would make some here weak at the knees.

• Like 1

How do you know they take her seriously? By the fact that they don't collapse into fits of belly laughs when she speaks?

A Prime Minister attending a summit doesn't require much skill, just the job title. I'm sure though, just the act of blowing her nose successfully would make some here weak at the knees.

Not if she blows it the way i,ve seen some so called respected Puyai that I used to meet at breakfast / dinner business meetings at a couple of well known 5 star hotels in Bangok.

Unbelievable, yet typical ignorance sat with them.... arrogance at it,s best IMHO

Then another individual in Chonburi who would delight in picking his nose and viewing what he had proudly extracted from it with the long nailed little finger many Thai have. w00t.gif

marshbags sick.gif

Edited by marshbags

I'm thinking of developing a computer game for my children called "Where in the world is Yingluk Shinatra" based on the Carmen Sandiego original.

It should be quite educational, and Thailand would be a desperate last resort guess.

• Like 1

watch for something to happen here in Thailand with her being out of country for a week

One can only hope. The place needs turning around before it goes into hyper-inflation mode.

As for the speech, I hope (for her sake and for the sake of the ears of the listener) she gives it in her native tongue.

watch for something to happen here in Thailand with her being out of country for a week

One can only hope. The place needs turning around before it goes into hyper-inflation mode.

As for the speech, I hope (for her sake and for the sake of the ears of the listener) she gives it in her native tongue.

I would be surprised if she addresses the U.N. General Assembly in Thai, because I don't believe she thinks her English is anything less than exceptionally good.

Her repeated efforts to use English in a wide variety of situations, whether it's press interviews or speeches, supports that.

Please, please, tell us you don't believe in what you just wrote!

What other countries see when she is on an international stage, is a puppet clone struggling to put some words together in order to make one sentence, that nobody understands and that will let the whole audience wondering what was that about. Great way to promote the country indeed....

• 2 weeks later...

U.S..... U.K.... and now Myanmar.... September seems to be another month for her not to be in Thailand...

BANGKOK, Aug 22 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is scheduled to visit Myanmar next month to discuss the development of the Dawei deep-sea port project with the Myanmar president, Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said Wednesday.

Surapong said the premier will meet with President Thein Sein during her Sept 13-15 visit.

Amazingly, now she's not content with her 3 trips, she'll be spending even less time in Thailand in September...

BANGKOK, 29 August 2012 (NNT) The Foreign Affairs Ministry has announced that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will attend the 2012 APEC Summit in Russia during September 8-9.

http://61.19.244.31/...OR5508290010005

The Grand Global Tour 2012 has kicked off.

She flew out today to Vladivostok with her cousin, the Foreign Minister.

c0218.gif

bye-bye... see you in October.

http://61.19.244.31/...OR5508290010005

The Grand Global Tour 2012 has kicked off.

She flew out today to Vladivostok with her cousin, the Foreign Minister.

c0218.gif

bye-bye... see you in October.

As Thailand is facing its next flood crisis, the political leader who has to stand for the people suffering is leaving the country "for diplomatic talk", WHAT diplomatic talk????cheesy.gifcheesy.gif