California Wow Customers Sign Complaints For The Return Of Membership Fees

webfact

Club members sign complaints

THAMMARAT KITCHALONG

THE NATION

30188899-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over 200 customers of once-popular California WOW yesterday filed complaints for the return of membership fees and being denied access to fitness services after they paid over Bt1million to exercise at various outlets, a consumer protection agency revealed yesterday.

Saowanee Chamchaliew, from the Founda-tion for Consumers, said about 200 customers of California WOW fitness centres had called and filed complaints with the foundation over the past two days.

They complained they had registered with the centre for life memberships or to be annual members, but were now not allowed to access the services as California WOW had shut down seven of its eight facilities.

The centre at Siam Paragon is the only one open after the Bangkok Bank filed a lawsuit with the Bankruptcy Court against California WOW seeking a court order to force the firm to repay a loan of close to Bt72 million plus nearly Bt4 million in interest.

Many customers complained they had signed up at other centres and could not travel to the heart of the capital to use the remaining centre at Paragon. Some customers had left belongings in lockers inside the closed fitness centres but could not enter to get their stuff back. Others said they used credit cards for membership fees, which were still being paid as monthly instalments to the bank.

The foundation said about 100 former customers had joined in filing a lawsuit, and were now awaiting a court order.

However, if the court did not issue such an order, the foundation would file a lawsuit with the Civil Court against California WOW as the firm had broken its contract with customers, Saowanee said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-23

chiang mai is still open (sort of open) there is repair signs on over 50 per cent of the machines, classes have been cut back because staff has quit, i just got my bill to pay my quarterly fee of 2400thb, yeah right, i pay the fee and come in next week and there is a sign on the door, (SORRY OUT OF BUSINESS, HA HA YOU GOT SCREWED). The sad part is they don't tell anyone what is going on. Chiang Mai Calif Wow always had good enrollment, why are they letting it go down the shitter?

• Like 1

chiang mai is still open (sort of open) there is repair signs on over 50 per cent of the machines, classes have been cut back because staff has quit, i just got my bill to pay my quarterly fee of 2400thb, yeah right, i pay the fee and come in next week and there is a sign on the door, (SORRY OUT OF BUSINESS, HA HA YOU GOT SCREWED). The sad part is they don't tell anyone what is going on. Chiang Mai Calif Wow always had good enrollment, why are they letting it go down the shitter?

Is California wow Thai owned or Foreign owned. Since its trademark says it's in Californai, but I've never seen on here.

They have now reopened the Esplanade branch, the closures were out of their control caused by landlord cutting power and water. The company seem to be doing there best to get the clubs reopened but just haven't communicated that to members very well.

I think there are too many haters on here. I know CALWOW have a bad reputation but they do appear to be trying to restore services for all their members. I for one say good for them for fighting to turn the business around.

This is from BUSINESS WEEK:

"Mr. Eric Mark Levine served as the Chief Executive Officer of California Wow Experience Public Company Limited and served as its Chairman. Mr. Levine holds a Doctor of Philosphy in Sport Science from Mannin University , UK."

Google "Mannin University" and there is evidence that there is no such university! How can one have a PhD from a NON EXISTENT University!

Wow good luck getting your money back. Likely a waste of time trying to file a lawsuit against someone who isn't paying their bills. Maybe they can put a lean on the equipment. I'm sure the bank will have first dibs on that though.

+1....good luck.

They have now reopened the Esplanade branch, the closures were out of their control caused by landlord cutting power and water. The company seem to be doing there best to get the clubs reopened but just haven't communicated that to members very well.

I think there are too many haters on here. I know CALWOW have a bad reputation but they do appear to be trying to restore services for all their members. I for one say good for them for fighting to turn the business around.

The branch in Ekkamai that Mrs Arkady joined against my judgement is never going to reopen since it is currently being converted into a Coffee Club outlet. The fight to turn the business around, if it genuine exists, is futile because the CAWOW business model is about as sustainable as a Ponzi scheme. It depends on people signing up for life memberships and then not coming any more, so as to create space for new members. Also the aggressive mis-selling the staff were forced to do becomes less and less effective the more people warn their friends CAWOW sales people. Basically they just started to run out of new suckers to buy into the Ponzi and couldn't compete with operators like True Fitness and Fitness First that try to provide a relatively honest product and a decent experience for their customers.

• Like 2

Is California wow Thai owned or Foreign owned. Since its trademark says it's in Californai, but I've never seen on here.

Why would this matter? So if it's Thai owned then it wouldn't be a surprise right?

Poorly run companies are all crap, regardless of origins.

To answer your question: the founder of the brand is a foreigner. White, if that helps you to judge further. But the people behind the funding (and apparently backed the marketing scheme) were from the Major Cineplex group.

Edited by infernalman7
  • Like 1

Well, the landlord won't have to cut utilities, if they (CAWOW) actually pay their bills like every one else.

It's foreign owned. The problem is he is (or maybe now 'was') married to some model/hi-so type Bangkok Thai chick, who he wanted to impress by buying her a 8 million baht wedding ring at the time. This was in the news many years ago...

Everybody knew it could not go on for ever, but I think it's especially sad for all that bought a membership just before they closed down that branch.

In Pattaya, they were still selling on the last night before the shutdown, I think that that is criminal.

Edited by luckyman
  • Like 1

An american guy used to be a part owner (I think less than 30%), and had a title of Vice President. Many years ago I was in Starbuck's in Silom where he was giving a loud staff meeting/pep talk (which everyone in Starbuck's was forced to endure because he was so loud!). I read that he sold his remaining share several months ago. I'm sure he must've taken a huge loss.

I'm really curious who developed that ridiculous name "Wow XPerience!", and when they will remove the "#1 Fitness Centres in the World" slogan.

It's foreign owned. The problem is he is (or maybe now 'was') married to some model/hi-so type Bangkok Thai chick, who he wanted to impress by buying her a 8 million baht wedding ring at the time. This was in the news many years ago...

Everybody knew it could not go on for ever, but I think it's especially sad for all that bought a membership just before they closed down that branch.

In Pattaya, they were still selling on the last night before the shutdown, I think that that is criminal.

He was a part owner...less than 50%. He must've lost his shirt unless he got his money out ages ago.

They were selling memberships in all the clubs up the last day of operation. Management knew what was going on. That is definitely criminal.

Well, the customers and staff should go directly to Eric Levine's Luxurious Villa in Phuket and also to his wife, the hiso Khun Joy for their refunds and unpaid salaries. meanwhile garbage mags like Hello, OK and the Tatler can keep on putting photos of Eric and Jy in their hiso columns! Yucks! people should simply avoid these mags and also all advertisers in these mags.

It's the not the first time this model has been used for gyms, and I'm not complaining since I only paid 15k for a lifetime membership which is now into it's 3 rd year. The Chiang Mai one seems fine, everything working, but I don't know how much longer it will survive since the writing is on the wall, all the negative publiicity is discouraging much needed sign ups to kill the loan and starve off bankruptcy. It will be a shame, the gym offered a pretty good package and maybe members should club together and pay a pre realistic annual subscription for it to stay open independently. It will be the third Chiang Mai gym to close down on me.

• Like 1

All I can say is WOW!! Who would ever believe that a lifetime membership in a fitness club in Thailand would go bust?

I'm still having trouble believing the 'fitness club in Thailand' bit.

My friend joined a fitness cum spa at skv area, operated by a Singaporean. It when bust after selling unbelievable packages. Moral of the story, money in pocket stays in the pocket.

It's the not the first time this model has been used for gyms, and I'm not complaining since I only paid 15k for a lifetime membership which is now into it's 3 rd year. The Chiang Mai one seems fine, everything working, but I don't know how much longer it will survive since the writing is on the wall, all the negative publiicity is discouraging much needed sign ups to kill the loan and starve off bankruptcy. It will be a shame, the gym offered a pretty good package and maybe members should club together and pay a pre realistic annual subscription for it to stay open independently. It will be the third Chiang Mai gym to close down on me.

I also have a 10K lifetime arrangement with the center in Chiang Mai and when I lived there, I used it a lot, being very happy about the WOW Experience, I felt good, training there. I also hope it will be able to stay above water and survive the current mallstrom of problems. Get independent, Chiang Mai Wow! Keep me and the rest of Chiang Mai happy thumbsup.gif

All I can say is WOW!! Who would ever believe that a lifetime membership in a fitness club in Thailand would go bust?

I'm still having trouble believing the 'fitness club in Thailand' bit.

My friend joined a fitness cum spa at skv area, operated by a Singaporean. It when bust after selling unbelievable packages. Moral of the story, money in pocket stays in the pocket.

Often true.

• Like 1

Why would this matter? So if it's Thai owned then it wouldn't be a surprise right?

Poorly run companies are all crap, regardless of origins.

To answer your question: the founder of the brand is a foreigner. White, if that helps you to judge further. But the people behind the funding (and apparently backed the marketing scheme) were from the Major Cineplex group.

Thanks. I had no idea.

So long as the new owners can get the equipment for next to nothing and can illegally use the already installed advertising monoliths, everythings hunky-dory.

expect bangkok WOW, or Seeyaam WOW to start ruining your neighbourhood soon!

the blind leading the greedy or should it be the other way around?

This is from BUSINESS WEEK:

"Mr. Eric Mark Levine served as the Chief Executive Officer of California Wow Experience Public Company Limited and served as its Chairman. Mr. Levine holds a Doctor of Philosphy in Sport Science from Mannin University , UK."

Google "Mannin University" and there is evidence that there is no such university! How can one have a PhD from a NON EXISTENT University!

Levine is as fake as his as Uni degree. Just looking at the guy every time i saw his picture somewhere, posing off with his hi-so other half. A very cunning person, that's why CW is a public company & he can't get sued when it fails.

He's just like a lot of Thai's with their fake degrees from the US Universities that you can buy!!! He went bust up in HK years ago & brought his bogus scheme to Thailand & suckered a lot of people in unfortunately.

I suppose Bangkok Bank can sell all the equipment to get some of their money back.