What Do I Need To Do To Get A Green Book On An Imported Bike?

rmicheald

..... If you have invoice papers & the 3% excise tax has been paid then it can't be confiscated and if some greedy BIB does take it then you can get it back quite easily!

Quite true - as long as you keep it at home you can drive the bike round your own land as much as you like. Take it out on the public road, though, and the bike can legally be confiscated and kept until its registered and if "storage" fees aren't paid the bike can be registered by the DLT and auctioned (usually, coincidentally, to the person who confiscated the bike in the first place).

The idea that most Thais don't pay register their bikes and cars and don't pay road tax went out years ago.

What you are saying may very well happen in BKK and 1-2 tourist towns but it's not the case in most places in Thailand.

I commute to work every day on an unregistered bike and I often go through a police checkpoint which are stopping people for no helmets, they've seen my unplated bike many times and never bat an eyelid. When I go to town I often have to stop at traffic lights right next to the police station where there is always police standing around, again nothing. The only time they've shown an interest is when I was having the oil changed and they came to ask about how fast it was and wanted to listen, they saw it didn't have a plate and didn't care. When I ride around north Thailand there are many police checkpoints and, guess what, no problem.

The excise tax people who checked the papers said all was OK, I asked if I could ride it on the roads and they said no problem. And when I went to the transport office to renew the insurance they did so knowing it wasn't registered!

Sometimes I ride with a big bike group where nearly all the bikes are unregistered and they never have any problems either, same story all over Thailand. Would I ride an unregistered bike in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin?...No. But where I live and where I ride it isn't a problem so I will continue to do so and my next bike will probably be unregistered as well.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... If you have invoice papers & the 3% excise tax has been paid then it can't be confiscated and if some greedy BIB does take it then you can get it back quite easily!

Quite true - as long as you keep it at home you can drive the bike round your own land as much as you like. Take it out on the public road, though, and the bike can legally be confiscated and kept until its registered and if "storage" fees aren't paid the bike can be registered by the DLT and auctioned (usually, coincidentally, to the person who confiscated the bike in the first place).

The idea that most Thais don't pay register their bikes and cars and don't pay road tax went out years ago.

What you are saying may very well happen in BKK and 1-2 tourist towns but it's not the case in most places in Thailand.

I commute to work every day on an unregistered bike and I often go through a police checkpoint which are stopping people for no helmets, they've seen my unplated bike many times and never bat an eyelid. When I go to town I often have to stop at traffic lights right next to the police station where there is always police standing around, again nothing. The only time they've shown an interest is when I was having the oil changed and they came to ask about how fast it was and wanted to listen, they saw it didn't have a plate and didn't care. When I ride around north Thailand there are many police checkpoints and, guess what, no problem.

The excise tax people who checked the papers said all was OK, I asked if I could ride it on the roads and they said no problem. And when I went to the transport office to renew the insurance they did so knowing it wasn't registered!

Sometimes I ride with a big bike group where nearly all the bikes are unregistered and they never have any problems either, same story all over Thailand. Would I ride an unregistered bike in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin?...No. But where I live and where I ride it isn't a problem so I will continue to do so and my next bike will probably be unregistered as well.

I often hear stories from my Chinese friends of guys who actually made a fortune with gambling, and while this stories are maybe true – the mass majority of gamblers are just losing money.

So maybe you can ride your illegal motorcycle in your part of Thailand, and maybe you can get insurance on a motorcycle without license plates (I always seem to have to give my license plate number), the truth is that most people in Thailand cannot, and you should not promote illegal activities.

Every vehicle in Thailand must display a road tax sticker/paper which must be renewed annually. In order to get this road tax sticker/paper you must also buy the government’s compulsory insurance called Por.Ror.Bo which covers the basic medical expenses of the other party involved in an accident. On the road tax sticker/paper I get for my motorcycles it displays the licenses plate number so how do you get it?

Did you ever had an accident, did the insurance company paid? With a 100% legal motorcycle it's sometimes difficult to get the insurance company to pay, so I can imagine how easy they can figure out a reason to not pay in your case. With riding a motorcycle you have to face reality, in Thailand you will have an accident one time for sure – it doesn't matter you ride a Honda Wave, Ducati, or even if you behind the steering wheel of a 4-wheeled vehicle... it will happen...It's not a question will it happen, it's more when it happens... and with a 100% registered vehicle you can trust that the insurance will pay, not forget that even when it's not your fault and you kill somebody you still get arrested in Thailand... So who is going to pay your out of jail ticket? The insurance company, get real...

I have a friend who killed a teenager, who was traveling on a scooter without helmet, against traffic on the middle of a 2 lain road in the middle of the night. Later labs reports found that the teenager was also intoxicated with alcohol. My friend, foreigner, was coming back to Bangkok from a weekend stay with the family-in-law and in the car his wife and his 5-year old daughter... To make the story short, to get out of the situation he was ordered in court to settle a compensation with the family of the dead teenager.... Insurance paid but that was not enough, he had to come up with 6-digits of money...

Did you ever had an accident, did the insurance company paid? With a 100% legal motorcycle it's sometimes difficult to get the insurance company to pay, so I can imagine how easy they can figure out a reason to not pay in your case.

I completely agree with you here Richard.

IO know personally about a foreigner who owned a business here and had a few cars registered on the company and fully all risk insured.

At one point the comapny driver, legally employed Thai, get's an accident with one of the cars and it's total loss.

After much discussion the insurance company refuses to pay.

Reason : the foreign director as named in the company papers didn't have a work permit at the time he signed the insurance policy, so he was not in compliance with the law.

Of course they will close their eyes when you have a claim with a vehicle that is not registered at all.

Richard, I have the Por.Ror.Bo as I stated earlier. The guy at the transport office asked for the green book which I didn't have as it isn't registered and he asked me if it has the invoice & excise tax papers which I gave to him, he then used the engine & frame number which is on the Por.Ror.Bo as well as my name and address. You say 'Every vehicle in Thailand must display a road tax sticker/paper which must be renewed annually' but outside of the areas I mentioned already, little is done to enforce this 'law'. You need to understand that Bangkok is very different to the vast majority of the rest of Thailand.

Prostitution, drink driving and riding without a helmet are also illegal here yet go unchallenged every day. I ride responsibly and never after drinking and have insurance if I was to have an accident, go and annoy someone else smile.png

Edited by skybluestu

Richard, I have the Por.Ror.Bo as I stated earlier. The guy at the transport office asked for the green book which I didn't have as it isn't registered and he asked me if it has the invoice & excise tax papers which I gave to him, he then used the engine & frame number which is on the Por.Ror.Bo as well as my name and address. You say 'Every vehicle in Thailand must display a road tax sticker/paper which must be renewed annually' but outside of the areas I mentioned already, little is done to enforce this 'law'. You need to understand that Bangkok is very different to the vast majority of the rest of Thailand.

Prostitution, drink driving and riding without a helmet are also illegal here yet go unchallenged every day. I ride responsibly and never after drinking and have insurance if I was to have an accident, go and annoy someone else smile.png

But I think you understand that there is a difference between a traffic law that isn't enforced and an insurance company that will look for an excuse so it doesn't have to pay x amount of money in case of an accident.

You not have insurance, you pay for insurance...and maybe you have an insurance paper, but having insurance is something different. In Thailand it's a well known fact that insurance companies do everything to not having to pay... In your case they not have to look long to find an excuse/reason why not to pay... and I bet someday you will be the talk around the table at an insurance company party as the foreign fool who paid years for getting nothing...

Also “I ride responsibly” sounds similar to what every gambler says “I gamble responsibly” or what any alcoholic will say “I drink responsibly”, but most gamblers and alcoholics know deep inside that they are wrong...

You not have insurance, you pay for insurance...and maybe you have an insurance paper, but having insurance is something different. In Thailand it's a well known fact that insurance companies do everything to not having to pay... In your case they not have to look long to find an excuse/reason why not to pay... and I bet someday you will be the talk around the table at an insurance company party as the foreign fool who paid years for getting nothing...

Also “I ride responsibly” sounds similar to what every gambler says “I gamble responsibly” or what any alcoholic will say “I drink responsibly”, but most gamblers and alcoholics know deep inside that they are wrong...

I have the Por.Ror.Bor insurance which is issued by the government at the transport office,not an insurance company, and I KNOW they pay out even if the bike in question is unregistered. And one of my colleagues husband works for Viriyah insurance and he told me Viriyah insure numerous unregistered bikes and treat them no different to a registered bike if they are in an accident. This is also something I've heard from Thai friends that ride unregistered bikes, I'm more inclined to listen to them than to you Richard, you are notorious for giving wrong information on here and also on your own website tongue.png

I have the Por.Ror.Bor insurance which is issued by the government at the transport office,not an insurance company, and I KNOW they pay out even if the bike in question is unregistered. And one of my colleagues husband works for Viriyah insurance and he told me Viriyah insure numerous unregistered bikes and treat them no different to a registered bike if they are in an accident. This is also something I've heard from Thai friends that ride unregistered bikes, I'm more inclined to listen to them than to you Richard, you are notorious for giving wrong information on here and also on your own website tongue.png

I give wrong information, hearing that from a person who keeps saying that the excise tax is 3 percent, while it's actually 30%...

Personally I never hear of the Thai Compulsory Motor Insurance paying anything when the vehicle is illegal, but I need to say I not hear everything... so cannot comment on that... also cannot read the fine print of the Thai Compulsory Motor Insurance paper as I forgot my reading classes... so maybe your story is true...

I called some time ago with Viriyah Insurance (02-239-1557), and talked to the company's spokes person, he insured me that the company doesn't issue insurances for any vehicles that are not registered. I never ask people to take my words as the truth, just pick up the phone and call them, the people at Viriyah Insurance can speak English... (from me you get no, I hear from a friend who was told by a friend who has insurance ...etc... Just call them...)

Basically I wanted to insure a few motocross motorcycles I have in our shack, and apparently they are now covert by our warehouse insurance we have with them...

But keep believing and maybe one day your ideas becomes reality...

With the Thai Compulsory Motor Insurance

The Por.Ror.Bor insurance policy does not cover liability arising from:

17.1 war invasion. Acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not)

17.2 civil war, mutiny, rebellion, revolution. Military or usurped assuming power, civil commotion, assuming the status of or amounting to a popular rising

17.3 nuclear weapons and materials

17.4 ionizing, radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste, caused so from the combustion of nuclear fuel and for the purpose of this clause, the combustion shall include any self-sustaining process of nuclear fission or fusion

17.5 damage to the vehicle being stolen, robbery and embezzlement

17.6 use of the motor vehicle outside the territory covered

17.7 use of the motor vehicle for illegal purpose such as to use it for plunder, robbery or for carriage or illegal drugs

17.8 use of motor vehicle for racing, endurance testing or speed running in way of sport

17.9 use of the motor vehicle by the garage's persons when it has been given to the garage for repair has been ordered by or under consent of the Company

17.10 driving made by any person who has never been given of the driving license or has been used to but having been disqualified by law or to use motorcycle driving license to be for driving of the motor vehicle

17.11 driving made by any person who is under the influence of intoxicating, alcohol or drug to the extent of being unable to control the motor vehicle

Subject to the limit of liability stated in the Schedule, the Company shall not reply upon the invalidity of the policy or the gross negligence of the Insured under this policy conditions except Item 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 17.4, 17.5 and 17.6 to be as defensive points against the victim to deny the liability under this policy. When the Company has paid compensation, which must be responsible by the Insured for the victim, and that is made with no liability by law or by this policy to the Insured, the Insured shall pay back the amount so paid to the Company within 7 days.

Edited by Richard-BKK

More info on the 3% excise tax from your own sorry excuse for a website, how is it after so long here you know so little? And why did you highlight '17.6 use of the motor vehicle outside the territory covered'? I'm done now, I'm wasting my time debating with such an amateur!

http://www.motorcycl...?showtopic=1511

Edited by skybluestu

More info on the 3% excise tax from your own sorry excuse for a website, how is it after so long here you know so little? And why did you highlight '17.6 use of the motor vehicle outside the territory covered'? I'm done now, I'm wasting my time debating with such an amateur!

So because, somebody on another forum says it's 3% it's 3%, I can show you many webpages (not anonymous entries on a forum) that say 30%, including on the website you supplied (permanent import of Personal Vehicles).

Other websites are from the Ministry of Finance (Revenue Department), Thai Customs, Custom House and a bounce of transport companies that are specialized in importing motor vehicles.

Basically you should stop advising people that riding without a greenbook (license plates and registering) is okay...

what a fuss again regarding the green book. charts, 3 percents blah blah blah.

do not buy any bike without a green book in Thailand. Isaan maybe for some time but it will get harder to issue a green book very soon for second hand imports and you cannot sell it again.

guys, Thailand is not like before and they are now pretty strict about the green book as they recently passed the regulation for second hand imports as you know.

do you really wanna go for that risk? does it worth it?

And, believe me, they will start to check the green book of the bikes before as well and if they find something illegitimate, they get your bike under you man especially if you are foreigner here.

So because, somebody on another forum says it's 3% it's 3%, I can show you many webpages (not anonymous entries on a forum) that say 30%, including on the website you supplied (permanent import of Personal Vehicles).

Other websites are from the Ministry of Finance (Revenue Department), Thai Customs, Custom House and a bounce of transport companies that are specialized in importing motor vehicles.

Basically you should stop advising people that riding without a greenbook (license plates and registering) is okay...

It was a forum on your own website and you even replied to it yourself so your claim that you've never heard of the excise tax being 3% is nonsense!

The papers I have are for 3% of the value of the bike according to the excise department which is correct. Everyone I know who has an unregistered bike also has these papers which show the 3% as being paid, and anyone who knows anything about bikes in Thailand also knows about the 3% excise tax. But, as most readers know that read this forum, you actually know very little and often make statements which turn out be false so I'll bid you good day.

I would not recommend anyone to ride an unregistered or uninsured bike in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or any other tourist town but they make up very little of Thailand and none of the best roads are there either so I don't know why anyone would want to. On the other hand, if you live in one of the many other towns in Thailand then riding an unregistered bike with Por.Ror.Bor and correct invoice papers & proof the 3% excise tax has been paid then it is fine.

Here you are Richard, every day is a school day, no need to thank me!

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7802.html

That's all good BUT your still breaking the law. I'm really NOT sure IF a police man COULD impound your bike for this. But I think it COULD happen. You think it couldn't. Up to you :lol:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I have the Por.Ror.Bor insurance which is issued by the government at the transport office,not an insurance company

B*shit. It was issued (if any) by an insurance company, which had their office inside the DLT...

So, now you have "Por.Ror.Bor" with it's ridicolous coverage?

I hope you have a well filled bank account, in case of an accident.....

Also, I have never seen a tax sticker on an unregistered bike.

What plate-number would they put on the sticker?

Fact is, bikes without greenboks are unregistered and illegal on public roads, period.

I personally don't care a shit, if some ass****s guys ride illegal bikes.

But they, and even the dodgy dealers shouldn't suggest, that it is ok, to ride an unplated, unregistered and uninsured bike.

http://www.phuketgaz...rticle7802.html

Hahaha that is not valid anymore, that was back in 2009 for about 30 days... Now it's 30 percent, so you should not advice people that it is 3 percent...

Richard, you are just embarrassing yourself now! I know English is not your first language but surely you can understand what is written?! The deadline to pay the 3.3% excise tax was 30 days, people who didn't pay before the deadline could be fined. It still is 3.3%, my colleague paid 3.3% excise tax on a Honda Super4 just last month.

If I read the rules of the Thai Compulsory Motor Insurance correctly, and sorry I can still not find an original 'up-to-date' Thai language version. Even if the Thai Compulsory Motor Insurance pays the victim of an accident, they can still claim the money back from you...

Same same but different, still confirms unregistered bikes CAN be insured which is what I've been saying

It's not the same, especially the coverage...

And do you really think, you will just go away with your crappy 100K insurance without bail bond, if you kill sombody?

http://www.phuketgaz...rticle7802.html

Hahaha that is not valid anymore, that was back in 2009 for about 30 days... Now it's 30 percent, so you should not advice people that it is 3 percent...

Richard, you are just embarrassing yourself now! I know English is not your first language but surely you can understand what is written?! The deadline to pay the 3.3% excise tax was 30 days, people who didn't pay before the deadline could be fined. It still is 3.3%, my colleague paid 3.3% excise tax on a Honda Super4 just last month.

Sure... whatever you say, but I recommend that people look at official websites like the Thai Custom office for motorcycle "not exceeding 2000 cc. and not more than 220 horse power" See link and scroll down a little bit http://www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/PersonalVehiclesPermanent/PermanentImport.jsp?menuNme=PersonalPer

I'm outta here, excise tax on imported used bike parts is 3.3% and unregistered bikes can be insured

Insulted?

Insured maybe, but will the insurance company pay?

from your cited site

post-15975-0-22052600-1345792553_thumb.p

this makes very clear, that it is illegal!

post-15975-0-58605800-1345792561_thumb.p

"and a piece of paper to show the police" in the event.....

sounds really serious...clap2.gif

Edited by vel_tins

beatdeadhorse.gif

I'm outta here, excise tax on imported used bike parts is 3.3% and unregistered bikes can be insured.

Okay that is a new angle, 3.3% on used bike parts – so when you assemble a motorcycle from used “imported” bike parts you get a stamp on page 18 of the greenbook as all taxes paid?

You said before that you showed some officers that you paid the excises tax on your motorcycle while you where in a bar/restaurant I can imagine that all the invoices of a motorcycle build from imported parts is a good amount of invoices and papers... I once rebuild a crashed motorcycle and imported some parts that where damaged and I already had enough paperwork to fill an average sized backpack...

Edited by Richard-BKK