What Do I Need To Do To Get A Green Book On An Imported Bike?

rmicheald

beatdeadhorse.gif

I'm outta here, excise tax on imported used bike parts is 3.3% and unregistered bikes can be insured.

Okay that is a new angle, 3.3% on used bike parts – so when you assemble a motorcycle from used “imported” bike parts you get a stamp on page 18 of the greenbook as all taxes paid?

You said before that you showed some officers that you paid the excises tax on your motorcycle while you where in a bar/restaurant I can imagine that all the invoices of a motorcycle build from imported parts is a good amount of invoices and papers... I once rebuild a crashed motorcycle and imported some parts that where damaged and I already had enough paperwork to fill an average sized backpack...

I'm back for one final post in this thread as I'm astounded Richard is so naive! Most big bikes imported into Thailand are done so as parts, they are usually bought privately or at auction in America or Japan then taken apart, shipped over as parts then reassembled here in Thailand. For someone who spends so much time dealing with bikes here and who even has their own website I'm amazed you don't know this, I really am! Many bikes have been imported this way and then a green book issued but I don't know about pg18 in the green book as I don't have one.

The excise officers I bumped into at a coffee shop only wanted to see the excise tax had been paid, this is only two sheets of paper, the invoice papers are more but only about 5-6, I carry copies under my seat which is what I should show if ever questioned but, apart from that one time, I haven't been.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beatdeadhorse.gif

I'm outta here, excise tax on imported used bike parts is 3.3% and unregistered bikes can be insured.

Okay that is a new angle, 3.3% on used bike parts – so when you assemble a motorcycle from used “imported” bike parts you get a stamp on page 18 of the greenbook as all taxes paid?

You said before that you showed some officers that you paid the excises tax on your motorcycle while you where in a bar/restaurant I can imagine that all the invoices of a motorcycle build from imported parts is a good amount of invoices and papers... I once rebuild a crashed motorcycle and imported some parts that where damaged and I already had enough paperwork to fill an average sized backpack...

I'm back for one final post in this thread as I'm astounded Richard is so naive! Most big bikes imported into Thailand are done so as parts, they are usually bought privately or at auction in America or Japan then taken apart, shipped over as parts then reassembled here in Thailand. For someone who spends so much time dealing with bikes here and who even has their own website I'm amazed you don't know this, I really am! Many bikes have been imported this way and then a green book issued but I don't know about pg18 in the green book as I don't have one.

The excise officers I bumped into at a coffee shop only wanted to see the excise tax had been paid, this is only two sheets of paper, the invoice papers are more but only about 5-6, I carry copies under my seat which is what I should show if ever questioned but, apart from that one time, I haven't been.

Sky. I personally am not disputing what you say. But it is wrong to say what you are doing is legal

(and the ads here on TV stating the same REALLY piss me off:angry:)

What you are doing is illegal. Full stop. Simple as that:p

And as others state I would really not like to be involved in an accident on an unregistered bike. BASIC insurance or not.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

beatdeadhorse.gif

You not have to be surprised of the how little I know about illegal activities, we, as a company can proudly say that we do not use illegal or semi-illegal techniques to import vehicles into Thailand.

And yes I know companies that do things different, and I also know they look scared every time some Thai guy in pantalon and shiny shoes walk into the building...

I'm Thailand for almost 14-years and never had a problem regarding an imported vehicle, I never had to close the company...

So if I'm naïve - that's fine – at least I'm honest can look all my customer in the eyes and still make enough money to keep me happy, and more important if I get stopped by the police I can still smile and not have to worry about a thing...

One Thing I would like to say is I ride a motorcycle because it makes me feel free, if I would have a motorcycle which I cannot ride there, not can go here...cannot do this cannot do that... that would be not much fun to do....

Actually I think I will close the office soon and take everybody for a beer ... somehow I just feel like that...

I'm astounded Richard is so naive!

I would call it realistic. I can see only one person, who posted in this thread, is really naive or just ignorant.

Most big bikes imported into Thailand are done so as parts, they are usually bought privately or at auction in America or Japan then taken apart, shipped over as parts then reassembled here in Thailand

And what? How old are you?

Everybody knows this.

Nothing wrong with this.....until you bring these reassembled bikes, unregistered on public roads, at that point, you're acting illegal!

No matter how many people do this.

Is it so hard to understand?

(and the ads here on TV stating the same REALLY piss me off :angry: )

Agree, and thanks to the new law, it should be nearly impossible, to get a green book, even a legal one. sad.png

Maybe in one or two years, even the last idi*t *should* know, that he will never get legal with 90% of the big bikes, offered in ads like Bahtsold/TV/etc.

If Thais choose to break the laws in their own country that is up to them, but we are guests here, and choosing to ignore the law because our hosts do so is massively disrespectful to the country that allows us to live here. Contrary to popular belief it`s not the Thais that cause problems for farangs living here, it`s farangs who thumb their nose at the law causing the spotlight to focus on us. I believe Richard is Dutch, in which case his English will be as good as a native speaker.

Edited by BirdsandBooze

beatdeadhorse.gif

You not have to be surprised of the how little I know about illegal activities, we, as a company can proudly say that we do not use illegal or semi-illegal techniques to import vehicles into Thailand.

And yes I know companies that do things different, and I also know they look scared every time some Thai guy in pantalon and shiny shoes walk into the building...

I'm Thailand for almost 14-years and never had a problem regarding an imported vehicle, I never had to close the company...

So if I'm naïve - that's fine – at least I'm honest can look all my customer in the eyes and still make enough money to keep me happy, and more important if I get stopped by the police I can still smile and not have to worry about a thing...

One Thing I would like to say is I ride a motorcycle because it makes me feel free, if I would have a motorcycle which I cannot ride there, not can go here...cannot do this cannot do that... that would be not much fun to do....

Actually I think I will close the office soon and take everybody for a beer ... somehow I just feel like that...

Ummmm 1st line.

greenbook. GPX .

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

If Thais choose to break the laws in their own country that is up to them, but we are guests here, and choosing to ignore the law because our hosts do so is massively disrespectful to the country that allows us to live here. Contrary to popular belief it`s not the Thais that cause problems for farangs living here, it`s farangs who thumb their nose at the law causing the spotlight to focus on us. I believe Richard is Dutch, in which case his English will be as good as a native speaker.

Another know-it-all farang that knows nothing! My previous 3 bikes were all registered with green books and it was Thai big bike owners that convinced me to get an unregistered one. I talked with quite a few Thai who regularly meet up to ride to get their opinion and they all said the same, up here it is no problem whatsoever. Two of them are policemen, another is a govt official and others are businessmen and all ride unregistered bikes.

Out of interest, how many of you self-righteous posters giving me a hard time have been with a bar-girl or driven over the speed limit or alcohol limit or without a helmet? These are all illegal in Thailand but people choose to conveniently forget!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Ummmm 1st line.

greenbook. GPX .

True, but I did not imported the motorcycle also we, as an company, did not do the registration. Also the GPX ZF250 is my personal property and therefore has nothing to do with my business adventures... Most of my other vehicles are registered as company property...

You do take it personally don`t you.

Take what personally? We are having a discussion about riding unregistered bikes here in Thailand and you claim that, because I choose to 'ignore the law', I am being disrespectful. I'm just pointing out to you that many 'laws' are ignored here on a daily basis, perhaps by some who are giving me grief, which is a tad hypocritical!

Have a look through the websites below, I'd guess that around 75% of them are unregistered bikes, welcome to Thailand!

http://mocyc.com/store/alltopic.php?MM_submit=1&category=2

http://www.superfour-club.com/index.php?board=8.0

http://www.r1thailand.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=743a1e8c88c77af055e11f0753aab107&board=4.0

And they are just three of many.

Ummmm 1st line.

greenbook. GPX .

True, but I did not imported the motorcycle also we, as an company, did not do the registration. Also the GPX ZF250 is my personal property and therefore has nothing to do with my business adventures... Most of my other vehicles are registered as company property...

But you will allow unregistered bikes to be advertised on your website. Hypocrite!

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/classifieds/index.php/detail/20120712161909935

OMG, what a childish argumentation....Only because many other people do illegal things, it's less worse if you do it?

In most of your posts, I read something like:

But other do too, $percent are illegal too, they sell and drive illegall bikes too....bla bla blah.

I assume 100% of drugs, imported to TH are illegal too.....

I assume 100% of people, who killed somebody did it illegal.....

You understand, what I want to say?

Never seen such a portion of ignorance....You will be illegal? Up to you

It's a pity, that I can't see your face, if you walk straight into jail, after you caused a serious accident.

But I am definetely sure, the police will let you go with a smile, after you told them, how many other bikes are illegal too...thumbsup.gif

Sorry, but I cannot see, where the seller claims, the bike is road-legal in TH...

Nice bike anyway, (if you have enough rice fields in Isaan, surrounded by non-public roads) tongue.png

Edited by vel_tins

Ummmm 1st line.

greenbook. GPX .

But you will allow unregistered bikes to be advertised on your website. Hypocrite!

http://www.motorcycl...120712161909935

Buying or selling an unregistered motorcycle is not illegal, you can ride them on a race track... It's only illegal to ride them on the public road... I feel a bit sorry I started this discussion, because you not even know what you do wrong...

You do take it personally don`t you.

Take what personally? We are having a discussion about riding unregistered bikes here in Thailand and you claim that, because I choose to 'ignore the law', I am being disrespectful. I'm just pointing out to you that many 'laws' are ignored here on a daily basis, perhaps by some who are giving me grief, which is a tad hypocritical!

Have a look through the websites below, I'd guess that around 75% of them are unregistered bikes, welcome to Thailand!

http://mocyc.com/sto...it=1&category=2

http://www.superfour...x.php?board=8.0

http://www.r1thailan...ab107&board=4.0

And they are just three of many.

But you`re insulting people simply because they don`t have the same view as you. Anyone, not just you, who knowingly breaks the law here, whatever law, when they have been granted the privilege to live here is showing disrespect to their host country no matter what the natives, including local poo yais, choose to do. If I remember rightly the last thread on this subject ended in silly name calling. No one is insulting you, just giving you their opinion.

Another know-it-all farang that knows nothing! My previous 3 bikes were all registered with green books and it was Thai big bike owners that convinced me to get an unregistered one. I talked with quite a few Thai who regularly meet up to ride to get their opinion and they all said the same, up here it is no problem whatsoever. Two of them are policemen, another is a govt official and others are businessmen and all ride unregistered bikes.

Out of interest, how many of you self-righteous posters giving me a hard time have been with a bar-girl or driven over the speed limit or alcohol limit or without a helmet? These are all illegal in Thailand but people choose to conveniently forget!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sure, the Thais will tell you thatit's no problem, YET.But it will be a problem when you get an accident or when they start to enforce the law in your part of the country.I'm sure you read many times already about crackdown announced on this and the next day on that and the day after that on something else.Thailand is the hub of crackdowns by the way.

Anyway,the Thais that tell you there's no problem whatsoever don't think so far down the road.Actually I still have to see the first Thai that thinks more than 6 hours ahead.

And also keep in mind, those Thais don't have a white nose, which makes a big difference when police checks registrations.

OK, OK, as so many of you have got your knickers in a twist about these 'illegal' unregistered bikes I'll consider the below before deciding whether to continue riding unregistered bikes in Thailand.

i) Where I live and where I ride it never has been, and currently isn't, a problem with the BIB to ride an unregistered bike as long as it has the correct invoice papers, excise tax paid and Por.Ror.Bor insurance.

ii) Employees from the local excise tax office have checked my paperwork and said I can ride it.

iii) I can get the compulsory insurance at my local transport office, again without any problems.

iv) The consequences of having a serious accident on an (insured) unregistered bike are no different to those on a registered bike.

For people to come on here and compare riding an unregistered bike with taking/selling drugs or murder is ridiculous! And what about 'birdsandbooze' that says breaking ANY law here is disrespectful, you've never rode without a helmet or over the legal alcohol limit? How about gone over the speed limit slightly? Bought a beer between 2-5pm or after midnight in a bar that should be closed? Dropped a cigarette butt or any other litter? Riding an unregistered bike is punishable with a lower fine than most of the above and I'm more likely to get fined for dropping a cigarette butt and I don't even smoke! And Richard, the only reason you are so against it is because it will benefit you if unregistered bikes are confiscated. I've lost count of the amount of times something you've posted has turned out to be completely wrong, you are renowned for it and it has happened again on this thread which is why you are ridiculed so much.

Seriously guys, it isn't that serious and if you live in a glass house you shouldn't throw stones!

iv) The consequences of having a serious accident on an (insured) unregistered bike are no different to those on a registered bike.

Did you read post #33 where I told the story about the business owner with his legally registered car all risk insured and paid, and where the Insurance company refused to pay only because they found out he didn't have the correct visa when he signed the policy?He even didn't drive the car.

So what you think they will do in case of an accident and they find out that the vehicle is not registered.You also know that in that case,the Thai victims will consider you as an unlimited bank account and make claims you now even don't dare to dream about,and that you stay in a Thai jail untill you have paid up to full extend.

skybluestu, on Today, 20:35 , said:

I can't believe you actually think the above is a true statement you insurance would walk away and leave you in the cells until you could prove or come up with 200,000 bail bond

It's like getting your house insured and not putting any locks on the doors and windows the insurance ain't gonna pay out or do you think they would

And Richard, the only reason you are so against it is because it will benefit you if unregistered bikes are confiscated.

Sure, I not make it a secret that I buy previously confiscated vehicles at revenue department auctions.

But maybe you can explain why I would be against people riding an unregistered motorcycle? If I would do it so I can buy more confiscated motorcycle should I not promote it?

Richard, I have the Por.Ror.Bo as I stated earlier. The guy at the transport office asked for the green book which I didn't have as it isn't registered and he asked me if it has the invoice & excise tax papers which I gave to him, he then used the engine & frame number which is on the Por.Ror.Bo as well as my name and address. You say 'Every vehicle in Thailand must display a road tax sticker/paper which must be renewed annually' but outside of the areas I mentioned already, little is done to enforce this 'law'. You need to understand that Bangkok is very different to the vast majority of the rest of Thailand.

Prostitution, drink driving and riding without a helmet are also illegal here yet go unchallenged every day. I ride responsibly and never after drinking and have insurance if I was to have an accident, go and annoy someone else smile.png

The answer is simple, there is state law and local law. Local law can supercede state law. But when the state feels like enforcing it, they can...only question is, where will the manpower for the state law to be enforced come from?

An example would be the California weed law, under federal law its illegal, but under California law you can smoke up and get as baked as you want to...and is also dependent on how the cop translates the law at the time.

Anyway, riding outside of a major city i wouldnt worry about it, id hop a curb and escape anyway...not like it would be the first time. Id be more worreid about resale.

And Richard, the only reason you are so against it is because it will benefit you if unregistered bikes are confiscated.

Sure, I not make it a secret that I buy previously confiscated vehicles at revenue department auctions.

But maybe you can explain why I would be against people riding an unregistered motorcycle? If I would do it so I can buy more confiscated motorcycle should I not promote it?

why would you want to buy a confiscated bike Dick? umm i mean Richard?

Richard, I have the Por.Ror.Bo as I stated earlier. The guy at the transport office asked for the green book which I didn't have as it isn't registered and he asked me if it has the invoice & excise tax papers which I gave to him, he then used the engine & frame number which is on the Por.Ror.Bo as well as my name and address. You say 'Every vehicle in Thailand must display a road tax sticker/paper which must be renewed annually' but outside of the areas I mentioned already, little is done to enforce this 'law'. You need to understand that Bangkok is very different to the vast majority of the rest of Thailand.

Prostitution, drink driving and riding without a helmet are also illegal here yet go unchallenged every day. I ride responsibly and never after drinking and have insurance if I was to have an accident, go and annoy someone else smile.png

The answer is simple, there is state law and local law. Local law can supercede state law. But when the state feels like enforcing it, they can...only question is, where will the manpower for the state law to be enforced come from?

An example would be the California weed law, under federal law its illegal, but under California law you can smoke up and get as baked as you want to...and is also dependent on how the cop translates the law at the time.

Anyway, riding outside of a major city i wouldnt worry about it, id hop a curb and escape anyway...not like it would be the first time. Id be more worreid about resale.

But you're not in the states but in Thailand Dick........oops I mean KRS Edited by JanKlaasen

Anyway, riding outside of a major city i wouldnt worry about it, id hop a curb and escape anyway...not like it would be the first time. Id be more worried about resale.

But you're not in the states but in Thailand Dick........oops I mean KRS

how about you get a mind of your own, instead of repeating what i say.

anyone who tries to benefit from someone else's misfortune is a dick in my book.

Edited by KRS1

Anyway, riding outside of a major city i wouldnt worry about it, id hop a curb and escape anyway...not like it would be the first time. Id be more worried about resale.

anyone who tries to benefit from someone else's misfortune is a dick in my book.

Let me correct that for you :

Anyone who tries to benefit from someones self inflicted misfortune by breaking the law's.............

Hmmm KSR all well, but the fact is you not have a book, anyway nothing better than a happy dick.

I've been watching that guy in Phuket (maybe it's Samui?) try to sell his bike for weeks. I hate the fact that he is pretending in his ads that the bike is somehow legal and that all the documents are there to get it registered. It needs to be emissions tested and that's perhaps 75 thousand baht with no guarantee it will pass. Times have changed. It's harder and harder to find a fixer with the connections to get a green book. It's not legal to ride that bike. It will be nothing but headaches.

I've been watching with some amusement, too.

It's Samui.

He first advertised it in June 2011 for 135,000 baht and it's been advertised non-stop ever since - 14 months.

I was interested - until I also found out that it actually has an 800cc motor that's had one cylinder blanked (presumably to make the Green Book cheaper).

He's now moved away from Samui, has dropped the price to 80,000 and it's still for sale.

R

Edited by robsamui

I've been watching that guy in Phuket (maybe it's Samui?) try to sell his bike for weeks. I hate the fact that he is pretending in his ads that the bike is somehow legal and that all the documents are there to get it registered. It needs to be emissions tested and that's perhaps 75 thousand baht with no guarantee it will pass. Times have changed. It's harder and harder to find a fixer with the connections to get a green book. It's not legal to ride that bike. It will be nothing but headaches.

I've been watching with some amusement, too.

It's Samui.

He first advertised it in June 2011 for 135,000 baht and it's been advertised non-stop ever since - 14 months.

I was interested - until I also found out that it actually has an 800cc motor that's had one cylinder blanked (presumably to make the Green Book cheaper).

He's now moved away from Samui, has dropped the price to 80,000 and it's still for sale.

R

smile.png

Let me correct that for you :

Anyone who tries to benefit from someones self inflicted misfortune by breaking the law's.............

So how can he benefit from a broken law? Could it be to ride it illegally and break the law again?

He's a dick regardless, and im starting to think your riding him.

The real crime is manufacturers and importers in collaboration with the government in order to keep taxes high for NO good reason in an effort to keep the market to themselves.

fuc_k the law.

Get the seller to sort out, then buy it when it has a green book!!

Totally agree. No green book = walk away and don't touch it with a barge pole.

I have seen some beautiful bikes for sale through various websites and none of them had a green book so I just waited and looked for 5 months before I found a bike that I wanted with a green book.

It was worth it.