Extradition With Uk & Thailand

They will extradite him, without any problem and come knocking at his door.

Further, the conviction in connection with drugs would be reason for the Thai government to expell him and deny him entry. They will certianly know of his drug conviction if an extradition request is forwarded. They might not know if he goes to the UK and stand trail there by himself.

If he doesn't stand stand trial in the UK, he wont be convicted, can they still extradite? I presume he will be warranted for bail jumping?

What's the chances of the UK forwarding a extradition request? It's not a whole lot of marijuana to be honest, but the reason the sentence is going to be 3 - 4 years is because it's growing rather than selling (which is strange?)

Not much help, but paid $3,000 fine in court in Canada for same situation, a little less a few years ago, working, taking care of family etc. I represented my self . He should go and clear it up and offer to pay a hefty fine/good lawyer in lieu of jail time.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the sentence is so big is due to a heavy previous (cannabis selling again) and not paid any tax in 20 years.

They are claiming he makes 500,000 a year, which is crap of course.

A tax for illegal activities? Are they trying to tax his "income" from selling drugs?

• Like 1

The reason the sentence is so big is due to a heavy previous (cannabis selling again) and not paid any tax in 20 years.

A tax for illegal activities? Are they trying to tax his "income" from selling drugs?

Yes, he made about 40,000 a year tax free, they are saying he made 500,000 illegally, deposited x amount into banks and own property in Thailand. 20 years of not paying tax, producing Cannabis (lot worse than selling) and a "criminal life style" with previous is guaranteed 3-4 years and loss of assets. 20 Lawyers told him hes screwed pretty much and the tax man will hit him after it, however if he doesn't return he can't be charged and his properties are safe.

I don't blame the guy, I've never had a issue with weed (you can die quicker on paracetamol and its never been addictive for me) . Doesn't mean I want him bringing his shit to me though but I will do my best to hide him or at least give him the correct info so he can hide him self if he chooses too. He has a money and income, so no visa and police contacts stamping a fake passport could be the key to living his last years out of jail.

However, I don't want it near my house or my business but it will satisfy my mother smile.png

Yes, he made about 40,000 a year tax free, they are saying he made 500,000 illegally, deposited x amount into banks and own property in Thailand. 20 years of not paying tax, producing Cannabis (lot worse than selling) and a "criminal life style" with previous is guaranteed 3-4 years and loss of assets. 20 Lawyers told him hes screwed pretty much and the tax man will hit him after it, however if he doesn't return he can't be charged and his properties are safe.

40,000 from selling weed?! Or a legitimate tax free source?

That sort of income and no tax will be pretty hard to explain. Puts quite a different spin on things actually. How safe will his income be if he's here, with no valid visa and passport?

There is no statute of limitations for this offence in the UK so he would be liable to prosecution even if he returned in 15 years for life saving surgery.

I admire your dedication to your extended family, but if it was me I would stay right out of that. I would also be worried about the implications for yourself in effectively harbouring a criminal. My experience of these sort of things is that he will run out of money at some point, he will revert to type at some point, and he will drag others into his mess.

He has income and money, he can live here for ever and go unnoticed. I'm happy for him to do it, I will get him settled and then away from me, I've been here 5 years and never needed to show passport. He will do this if it's confirmed he won't go to jail for over stay if he pays and goes back to UK if caught.

And don't blame me, i'm legal and pay more tax than most thai's earn. Thanks for advice guys, as you can imagine I have my family begging me to help and it's hard to say no.

Your man doesn't sound like a particularly smart guy as he has been convicted a number of times for the same offense. If he stays in Thailand will he have the self discipline never to discuss his situation with "mates". One of his biggest risks is a "mate" dobbing him in if they have any issues with Thai Police/immigration or they decide they just don't like him

Edited by simple1

He has income and money, he can live here for ever and go unnoticed. I'm happy for him to do it, I will get him settled and then away from me, I've been here 5 years and never needed to show passport. He will do this if it's confirmed he won't go to jail for over stay if he pays and goes back to UK if caught.

And don't blame me, i'm legal and pay more tax than most thai's earn. Thanks for advice guys, as you can imagine I have my family begging me to help and it's hard to say no.

Your man doesn't sound like a particularly smart guy as he has been convicted a number of times for the same offense. If he stays in Thailand will he have the self discipline never to discuss his situation with "mates". One of his biggest risks is a "mate" dobbing him in if they have any issues with Thai Police/immigration or they decide they just don't like him

True, although if he is flushed, he can probably buy his way out of those problems.

There is no statute of limitations for this offence in the UK so he would be liable to prosecution even if he returned in 15 years for life saving surgery.

I would like to point out two faults in your reasoning.

He is now age 60, the CPS would very reluctant to jail someone aged 75.

If he were to return due to illness at age 75, at least as a criminal he would still be entitled to NHS care.

My advice would be for him to stay free as long as he can, then use his advanced age as a 'get out of jail free' card, should he ever have to return. Even 5 years in Thailand would be worthwhile and significantly reduce his chance of jail time on return to the UK. It's considered bad form to jail a pensioner.

The news over the years have had numerous stories about foreigners being arrested because they were wanted in their home country.

Extradition won't be required because Thailand will deport him to the UK and put him on a one way flight home where the UK police will be waiting for him to get off the plane.

If the UK wants him all they will have to do is ask.

Edited by ubonjoe

The news over the years have had numerous stories about foreigners being arrested because they were wanted in their home country.

Extradition won't be required because Thailand will deport him to the UK and put him on a one way flight home where the UK police will be waiting for him to get off the plane.

Exactly, all the UK has to do is tell the Thai authorities, he is wanted in the UK, name goes on the watch list at the land borders/airport and the BiB dont even have go and find him...he will eventually come to them, unless of course he intend hiding out in Thailand forever, with an expired visa and passport and if gets caught out in Thailand, they will charge him here and deport him anyway, so eventually he will get caught out

That would be against international law and civil rights.

(Any subsequent court action in the UK would be dismissed due to false arrest and unlawful extradition)

For a person to be forcibly put on a plane to the UK, they would first require an extradition order and two policemen from the requesting country to collect him.

Thailand can tell a person to leave the country, but they can't tell him where to go.

(This is assuming the person was in Thailand legally)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

When the police block passport renewals it only affects the UK issuing offices not ones abroad because one would have to be able to return home.

I stand to be corrected but believe British PP issued these days in HK come from the UK, so in theroy they can block a passport renewal, in other words if he applies they will tell him to contact either the BE in Bangkok or HK and they will tell him they will give him a temporary PP to return to the UK only.

(Any subsequent court action in the UK would be dismissed due to false arrest and unlawful extradition)

For a person to be forcibly put on a plane to the UK, they would first require an extradition order and two policemen from the requesting country to collect him.

Thailand can tell a person to leave the country, but they can't tell him where to go.

Extradition is not even in the equation, all Thailand would do is deport him, as technically he would be on contravention of the conditions of his visa issue....ie he has been convicted of a serious offense, and certainly in the case of Thailand a drugs offense would be considered as serious.

Granted they cant tell him where to go, but it needs to be country which would accept him on a British PP, and all it takes is for the UK to tell other countries he is wanted and they will refuse him entry as well and by default the only place he could go is back the UK....remember what happened to Gary Glitter after he did his time in Vietnam, no local countries would let him in and he had to go back to the UK, even though he didnt want to.

People forget these days everything is computerised and the average person doesnt know what is on immigrations computers in a particular country, very easy for a goverment to put someone on an international watch list

No, the fact that he is wanted is reason enough to deny him entry and when a person is already in Thailand to simply expell him. That they can do to his home country, as he cannot be denied entry there and elsewhere can.

In fact, the man seems to have prior drug conviction, which alone can be reason enough to send him packing to his home country.

See for example Garry Glitter who was denied entry when coming from Cambodia.

It is simply a mater of the Thai immigraiton act, and in no way a human rights violation or wrongful arrest.

He might be able to travel to another country, but only if that country must allow him entry. Otherwise he could be send back to Thailand if the country he travels to refuses him.

• Like 1

Extradition is not even in the equation, all Thailand would do is deport him, as technically he would be on contravention of the conditions of his visa issue....ie he has been convicted of a serious offense, and certainly in the case of Thailand a drugs offense would be considered as serious.

I see no information that he has been convicted of any offense (let alone a serious one).

Who is to say he has any Visa at all, he might be here on exemption on entry.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I see no information that he has been convicted of any offense (let alone a serious one).

Read post 30.

But strictly speaking a conviction is not necesarry, being a risk etc for public safety etc is enough. Of course you can appeal that, but probably have to wait in Immigration detention.

Well in that case he will be doing a lot of 30 day run's and if he is on an immigration computer somewhere only a matter of time before he is caught out

This whole question has nothing to do with how smart the person concerned is avoiding Thai/UK authorites it hinges on how badly the UK authorities want the guy, if they really want him back, they will get him back, irrespective of what he does and they have time on their side as well

These days you cant even join the Foreign Legion to get away from your past, even they do checks these days before letting you in...LOL

Edited by Soutpeel

Well in that case he will be doing a lot of 30 day run's and if he is on an immigration computer somewhere only a matter of time before he is caught out

I know many people living here doing 'visa runs' every 14 days.

You can even do border runs where they have no immigration computers, all done with a 'diary'

Not all border posts in Thailand have computers.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You can even do border runs where they have no immigration computers, all done with a 'diary'

Fine, but would want to spend the rest of your life jumping a border every two weeks and of course the passport wouldnt last very long would it ?...then what...live here illegally, looking over your shoulder all the time ?

so Thai immigration working with out computers are not aware of the rules, and would not notice previous 14 days stamps. Extradition is not a breach of human rights. example look at the wiki leaks case now, what has he been convicted of nothing but Sweeden has been granted his extradition.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's been very very helpful.

I have sent him on a bus today to a city where he has a house and condo. He will live there till a arrest warrant is out in the UK and I will get him a place in a friends name until I can sell his properties (so he can buy a new one the police don't know about) . He doesn't drink or take drugs, doesn't go to bars messing with whores etc he lives a very boring life style so the chance of him getting caught by the police asking for a passport are slim.

At all times I said you must keep 20,000 for the over stay fine, money for a ticket home and some bribe money. We will see how long he lasts, he has income for ever if the authorities cant take his properties in the UK.

Case closed for me .... Until something else happens lol.

You can renew a passport whenever you like but you will only get 9 month's worth of your old passport time added onto the new passport. i.e. if you renew a passport 6 months before it's due to expire the new passport will be valid for 10 years and 6 months.

you can apply for a new passport if your existing one is full, they do not check this

get online application it tells you if in thailand do not send old one, just a copy of the photopage

send to hongkong they check it, you can also get changmai consulate to check forms, but if passport not full forget to take your passport when getting it checked just take the photocopy

new passport by courier in about four weeks comes from UK

Thanks for the info guys, yes I agree about couch thing, not a chance, I got a work permit and a life of my own.

2 final questions:

Can you renew from Thailand if it has only 2 years on it?

It's confirmed, if you got money and you have been living illegally in Thailand, you won't go to jail if you can afford a ticket, fine and or bribes?

Thanks guys, feel like have all the info we need now.

Aiding and abetting my friend dangerous ground

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, yes I agree about couch thing, not a chance, I got a work permit and a life of my own.

2 final questions:

It's confirmed, if you got money and you have been living illegally in Thailand, you won't go to jail if you can afford a ticket, fine and or bribes?

2 final questions:

Question, why cannot he ask these questions himself ? why not lose his passport and aspply for a new one today ?

Aiding and abetting your cousin is putting yourself at risk for the duration. Is that what you want to do? As you have a business here a house and maybe family you could be shooting yourself in the foot. Not too clever to my way of thinking. Despite the pressure from your mother it would appear prudent to distance yourself from the whole messy business. Let him sort it out for himself assuming he is not that stupid. However, no sympathy from me for someone who has not paid tax for 20 years and is involved in drugs. What makes you think he will not pursue the same occupation in Thailand? He seems to be a lost cause.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's been very very helpful.

I have sent him on a bus today to a city where he has a house and condo. He will live there till a arrest warrant is out in the UK and I will get him a place in a friends name until I can sell his properties (so he can buy a new one the police don't know about) . He doesn't drink or take drugs, doesn't go to bars messing with whores etc he lives a very boring life style so the chance of him getting caught by the police asking for a passport are slim.

At all times I said you must keep 20,000 for the over stay fine, money for a ticket home and some bribe money. We will see how long he lasts, he has income for ever if the authorities cant take his properties in the UK.

Case closed for me .... Until something else happens lol.

BINGO66

Although it is wonderful to see we have so many Thaivisa members so well-informed on escaping apprehension by their home-country authorities and maintaining an illegal existence here in Thailand, I would be more pragmatic and seek more authoritative advice.

I don't know why no one else suggested this, may be the Brit way, but should you not also consult a qualified lawyer on your plans and/or research extradition treaties—Thailand and UK? I appears extradition treaties do exist between the countries for offenses with one-year or more in penalties—referencing Thailand's Extradition Act 2551 (C.E. 2008) (http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/extradition-from-thailand.php and http://thailand-lawyer.com/extradition-Thailand.html) and UK Extradition Act 2003 (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/extradition-intro11/ ). Consequently, an extradition is plausible, given the egregiousness of his current and previous offenses.

So, let’s look at the possibilities: If you plan to get a new legal passport, it seems the window closes next week when the trial starts. I don’t know how long the UK process is, but it may well be caught before issued. With a new passport or the remaining time on your old passport, you will be caught on visa runs. Thai Immigration police will be aware of any extradition proceedings. It will be a simple procedure of having his name flagged at any immigration run point—even the non-automated boarder points receive circulars. So, overstay seems inevitable, but the fine and send away is relatively light, and conceivably lighter if you turn yourself in rather than being caught. Staying in his apartment will result in a knock on the door. Use of any ID or financial instruments will be traced. Don’t consider hiding him, as someone mentioned, you may be charged with aiding and abetting.However, that will end in extradition.

I received the following information from a Brit in Pattaya some years ago: Some form of forged or illegal passport is needed—watch out for all the poorly done fakes. All assets will need to be available for the new ID—pretty hard to do unless assets are currently liquid. If you’re able to manage new ID and assets, go somewhere, don’t go anywhere you have ever gone before, stop all communication with everyone you know, make up an entirely new personal background, and don’t ever talk about your past.

Good luck, he'll need it, tell him to work on those neck muscles for a better over-shoulder view.

However, doesn’t it seem more prudent to seek a good lawyer in the UK now and be there when the trial starts? A little remorse and money well-placed with the proper lawyer may lessen the sentence. As someone else mentioned, even if convicted and given the maximum, he will be taken care of until pension time.

I don't blame the guy, I've never had a issue with weed (you can die quicker on paracetamol and its never been addictive for me) . Doesn't mean I want him bringing his shit to me though but I will do my best to hide him or at least give him the correct info so he can hide him self if he chooses too. He has a money and income, so no visa and police contacts stamping a fake passport could be the key to living his last years out of jail.

However, I don't want it near my house or my business but it will satisfy my mother smile.png

If this guy hasn't reported to his local police station as all people on bail must do they have known since the date of his first missed report he has gone.

If this guy knows all these lawyers why hasn't he phoned to find out if there is an international warrant out for him? I not then talk of overstay is crazy as there is no need. As far as his a passport goes without an International warrant there will be no flag and he only needs 6 months validity to renew in Hong Kong.

If he has property here and a bank account he's about as invisible as a baby elephant and they would have been at the property and I imagine spoken to his bank already.

Much depends on how long it's been since he let. To come after him it takes time, the police must apply to the home office or an international warrant first. If he has been here longer than a month then his lawyer back home can find out without raising any alarm bells if they are chasing him in here or not.

If not then he should do everything like he's not wanted because in a sense he is not. Extradition cost a lot of money and it's much cheaper for them to wait until he does something stupid like using a fake passport and let the Thais send him back

Maybe the cops are smoking the evidence and have decided to forget himlaugh.png

• Like 1