Language School/s - Prefer Chaing Mai, Possiblity Bkk

h5n1

The little Thai I had learned over the years is actually growing more scant by the year. Living in Pattaya has not helped. I realized that most proper Thai's want little to do with us and in teh end, I'm only living in Pattaya, talking to street vendors and bar girls - so why learn?

I'm pretty sick of Pattaya (happens esp this time of year), but with the growth and all - I've got to get out of the insane asylum. I'm pretty much a chao ley but so many farang are coming into the coastal areas issan isn't even out of the question. maybe a hill in Northern Lao??? :-)

With a good base of Thai, Lao will be easy and I'll regain Khmer quickly as well which has dwindled to about 50 words.

So... (sorry for the ramble).

I need to find a good school - I've tried the phrasebook/flashcards, but I've lost the discipline and just don't study any longer (drinking doesn't help). Maybe I simply have to start traveling again, I don't know...

Could anyone recommend a school (preferably in Chaing Mai)?

I am beyond the basics (have some basic vocab) but can use help with basic rules, simple grammar and everyday use/speaking for a start. I'll commit to a 3 month course but I don't want to get stuck with freshies off the plane learning to count and saying sah-bah-dee-krraph.

I realize that many people (esp the guys leaning Khemr) they want to learn more street-speak as it's 'more real' - I want to learn to speak politely, no bar slang, no swear words -but based in reality (eg not saying 'have you eaten yet' upon meeting someone [lame])

Needs to be cheap, not freebie but I'm pretty strapped for cash. I don't want to trade English 4 Thai either.

Emphasis on speaking, I'm not averse to learning script, but I don't have the funds to play around this way - I do undertand that learning via script / phonetics is the best way.

LP has a few schools listed - one or two sound ok.

I'm not averse to BKK it;s just dirty, pricey and impossible to get about. I've only spent a week+ in CM, figure it might be a good thing.

Also open to learning in monestary (sp) and in remote area for up to 3 months.

Huge thanks -

ps: Does anyone know if AUA has any connection to teh Amercian University in Washington DC?

BIG SORRY - I DID A SEARCH AND CAME UP WITH SOME INFO - AUA RECOMENDED, BUT PAENG YAI! OI..

Edited by h5n1