More Thai Soap Operas Told To Be Translated For 'Asean' Audience

webfact

More Thai soap operas told to be translated for ASEAN audience

BANGKOK, 24 August 2012 (NNT) - The National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) has suggested that more soap operas be translated into ASEAN languages to promote Thai culture to neighboring countries and generate more income to Thailand.

During a seminar to promote Thai culture and prepare Thai cultural entrepreneurs for the ASEAN Community in 2015, NESDB secretary-general Arkom Termpitayapaisit said, in the future, economic powers will shift to Asia and more production bases will be located in Asia. He expressed that Thai people may overlook this issue.

Mr Arkom suggested that many Thai cultures and traditions could be promoted to draw in more income to the country. He cited Thai soap operas, which are popular in many ASEAN neighbors should be translated into many languages, as he saw that cultural tourism has been increasingly popular.

The seminar was aimed to prepare local producers of traditional products and services to prepare and adapt themselves to a more integrated ASEAN Community. They are informed about the changes and effects that will happen to the cultures; therefore, Thais have to help preserve both Thai and ASEAN traditions.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-24 footer_n.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mr Arkom suggested that many Thai cultures and traditions could be promoted to draw in more income to the country. He cited Thai soap operas, which are popular in many ASEAN neighbors should be translated into many languages, as he saw that cultural tourism has been increasingly popular."

??????????????????????????????????????????

Trying to get in to the Korean dominated dubbed soap operas that are highly popular here and in most Asian countries and are of good quality according to er indoors and her friends.

In fact Korea dominates Asian TV with these and KPop etc.

Nothing escalates an argument with your Thai gf or wife more than by saying "I see we've been watching the Thai soaps again"

One time (in band camp) while making small talk with a Thai physician, the topic of TV (not .com) came up. When it came around to daytime dramas, the doctor looked sheepishly downward and said those shows are more than an embarrassment, but they keep our ER rooms in the black.

Edited by mamypoko
  • Like 1

This is great news. What is the word for making a fool of yourself without realising it? Whatever that is this is exactly what Thai soaps will do for the nation.

I hope the translation is done by the idiot who does Thai FTV, with wonderful phrases like 'behind the seens'

My father in law loves to watch the Korean soaps, but I never noticed him watching any of those Thai soaps. Even my wife nor my mother in law bother to watch Thai soaps...

and then there's me...

I just don't understand it.

Edited by stefb1964

Is this finally an admission that they are way behind the other ASEAN countries on so many levels and an attempt to dumb them down.

My thoughts exactly. This is good / perhaps their only available strategy to avoid slipping farther behind the other ASEAN nations before 2015

PLEASE DON'T!!!! Thai soap operas are one of the reasons why Thailand is SO behind all the other Asean countries!!! They promote love affairs, having a little wife, corruption, ignorance of others and the right to hurt women.........the list goes on. It would be better if they were not ever shown ever, even in Thailand!!!!

What's wrong with that?