Defining Irony

theslime

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and the Thai connection?????

Just that a mate wanted a TV to watch Olympics, gave wife money but she loaned it to neigbours. Neighbours then said they couldn,t repay as family stitched them up. Now my friend,who missed most of coverage is helping crippled neighbour get around by carrying her on his back as like I said family stitched up oldies. My friend speaks Thai and has lived here since 1990 so no good baging him.

When something is the oppsite to what you would expect.

Obama winning the peace prize for example.

Giving the peace prize to Kim Jong-un, would that be ironic or an oxymoron?

Edited by giddyup

The problem with Irony is that its existance lies in the recognition that an irony has occurred, which in itself requires a sometimes complex comparrison of events and/or use of language often beyond simple minds. Hence the oft made observation that American's just don't do Irony.

Ironic....Americans "do" irony all the time, they just don't see it...

• Like 1

Its all here:

thumbsup.gif

The thing with the song is that isn't actually what irony means. It's not really "ironic" so much as it is "things that suck."

Hence the irony in a song supposedly about irony which turned out to have nothing ironic in the llyrics.

• Like 2

A transgression from irony to sarcasm often happens via an oxymoron and tends to end the dissimulation of meaning.

Edited by Morakot

A transgression from irony to sarcasm often happens via an oxymoron and tends to end the dissimulation of meaning.

I think my head is about to explode.

• Like 1

Prior to consulting the dictionaries, I had misunderstood that irony referred to situations, while sarcasm referred to speech (or writing).

Generally, sarcasm is intended to be funny, while irony is funny (depending on one's sense of humour, I suppose).

So anyway, I would say Americans do irony as much as the rest of us, but they tend not to recognise it. For that reason, perhaps more so.

Irony is often unintended; sarcasm cannot be.

SC

I think my head is about to explode.

post-155923-0-69585100-1345782545_thumb.

I used to think I understood the difference between irony and sarcasm, until I consulted a dictionary on the topic.

I did understand irony and sarcasm until I consulted a dictionary.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 2

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck, that would be an accident.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying sugar, that would be strangely prophetic.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to by Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying Insulin, that would be Ironic.

Another Thai hater.......didn't take long.

Farangs complaining about the rights that immigrants get in their home countries, whilst whining about the lack of rights they have in Thailand.

Is that irony or just plain old whinging ?

It could be either unintended irony or intended sarcasm.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Hence the irony in a song supposedly about irony which turned out to have nothing ironic in the llyrics.

Deep. She's more clever and philosophical than I thought.

smile.png

To me the biggest irony of this lifetime that I'm living is that for someone who thrives in the public eye in the creative ways that I do, I actually don't enjoy being in the public eye.

Alanis Morissette

I don't see the connection. Someone asked what the Thai connection was although I don't see why there needs to be one. Then overherebc added something with Thai in it to explain. You can substitute your nationality for Thai if it helps?

Ironic that you didn't see it or am I being sarcastic?

Edited by VocalNeal

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck, that would be an accident.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying sugar, that would be strangely prophetic.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to by Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying Insulin, that would be Ironic.

Your asnswer explains why I choose to spend my time in the company of thais rather than ex-pats.

Ok I'll explain my answer,

The previous poster asked "where is the Thai connection so I used the term Thai Diabetic.

If he had asked Where is the American connection I would have used the expression An American diabetic.

Stop taking yourself so seriously.