Mass Killer Anders Breivik Sentenced To 21 Years In Prison

webfact

Firstly you need to focus less on the perpetrator - diffuse your anger and concentrate on what can be done for the VICTIMS (i.e.. survivors and deceased's families). Running around like a headless chicken calling for outrageous punishments and what is essentially revenge, doesn't help anyone - least of all the victims.

If I killed one of your children..... how would you feel.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted>!!!! I believe you haven't been following up closely on the story, Breiviks sick thoughts and ideology - this guy is a mad person and seriously AND PERMANENTLY twisted in the head, just like an Adolf Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, you name it, and he has a genocidal agenda on his slate...

You don't really believe that learning to play guitar or playing basketball in this super luxurious hotel, sorry, "prison" will erase such sick plans and agendas from his mind and let him come out as a brand new and "healed" Breivik who suddenly loves and embraces a multi-cultural society?

When do people like you realize that there must be a red line also in the DO-GOODER handbook or whatever you are reading to become so weakend and soft that most likely you would even hug and kiss the killer of your own children and invite him for dinner. This do-gooder philosophy bull$#!t sickens me death!!!

Hmmm, I really wonder since years why Adolf Hitler ALWAYS comes first to mind....unfortunately we cant discuss it here like adults or we are censored and banned...like HE did.... I really want to discuss the death penalty too but obviously we cant do it here either...in some countries in Asia i think the death penalty is ok....its just not possible to control the masses here...and I agreed with Thaksins Drug-Dealer "politics" btw..... but the HANG HIM HIGHER fraction here is really going on my nerves....

I have always previously been opposed to the death penalty on the basis that however sure you may feel you are about guilt, there was still always the chance for the wrong man to be found guilty.

I think though, in this day and age, with advancements in technology, such as DNA, and CCTV and digital cameras, which now means a vast number of crimes are being documented for everyone to see with their plain eyes, there are cases for which the guilt is absolutely without question. In cases such as these, and cases in which the perpetrator has committed a crime so truly horrific, what purpose does it serve keeping these people alive and on the planet? They are never going to become normal people and no normal person will ever want to befriend them, to live next to them, to work with them. Their lives are over, much like the lives of those they killed. Make it final. And then everyone can start the process of putting it behind them.

• Like 1

I have always previously been opposed to the death penalty on the basis that however sure you may feel you are about guilt, there was still always the chance for the wrong man to be found guilty.

I think though, in this day and age, with advancements in technology, such as DNA, and CCTV and digital cameras, which now means a vast number of crimes are being documented for everyone to see with their plain eyes, there are cases for which the guilt is absolutely without question. In cases such as these, and cases in which the perpetrator has committed a crime so truly horrific, what purpose does it serve keeping these people alive and on the planet? They are never going to become normal people and no normal person will ever want to befriend them, to live next to them, to work with them. Their lives are over, much like the lives of those they killed. Make it final. And then everyone can start the process of putting it behind them.

I agree, but in this case the Norge ''Special Forces'' should have done their job when confronted with the scene of child carnage. Now the mums and dads will still be tortured every day knowing he is sitting behind a PC in his three room hotel. sad.png

I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but I've always thought that those who get it (or should get it) should get the option of being put to death or being used as a human guinea pig for scientific research--such as new medicines, etc. etc..

Just an idea.

People such as Brevik should not be allowed to be a part of society until such time as they are no longer capable of being a danger to society. In his case that would mean maybe when he is in his 80's or 90's.

Judges in Oslo rule #Breivik was sane when he killed 77 people in Norway in 2011. He faces a minimum of 21 yrs in jail. /BBC

So, 3.27 months per killed person? What a "tough"sentence!

What are you going on about man can't you read? ....21 years is the max by law in Norway which they gave him but the judge made the point they can extend it if he is still thought to be a danger to society........this animal will never see the light of day again and I would imagine will be kept in solitary as the inmates don't take too kindly to child killers.

No one in their right min could ever say a man who committed such heinus crimes could ever not be a danger to society

In other words the civilized world has seen the last of this guy and he'll rot in prison for the rest of his days.

• Like 1

He could be out in a little over 8 years, considering time served already (445 days) and a minimum term of 10 years. He's a clever, well educated guy. Could be on his best behavior, do his time, come out.....and do it all over again.

Edited by agogohome

He could be out in 8 years, considering time served already (445 days) and a minimum term of 10 years. He's a clever, well educated guy. Could be on his best behavior, do his time, come out.....and do it all over again.

Or he could come out in 8 years and be completely rehabilitated, and go on to live a successful and meaningful life within the community.

People such as Brevik should not be allowed to be a part of society until such time as they are no longer capable of being a danger to society. In his case that would mean maybe when he is in his 80's or 90's.

1) Why does he ever deserve to have freedom?

2) What is stopping an 80 or 90 year old from picking up a gun and shooting at random? The crime he committed wasn't one that particularly took great strength. If he could do it now, no reason why he couldn't do it as an OAP. Less likely? Sure, but why take the chance? For what purpose?

He could be out in 8 years, considering time served already (445 days) and a minimum term of 10 years. He's a clever, well educated guy. Could be on his best behavior, do his time, come out.....and do it all over again.

Or he could come out in 8 years and be completely rehabilitated, and go on to live a successful and meaningful life within the community.

1) As has already been said, if he is ever truly rehabilitated, he will despise himself and be unable to live with the guilt.

2) He will never, i repeat never, be accepted by any community, (besides a community of like-minded freaks and weirdos) no matter what he does. There is nothing he can do, nothing anyone can do after slaughtering 77 people, that will redeem them in the slightest.

3) Why should he be given a chance to live a successful and meaningful life?

As I said: are no longer capable of being a danger to society.

I don't know when that is...maybe 80. Maybe 90. Maybe older, maybe after he has a stroke and is paralyzed. It is not when he is physically capable of doing harm to others.

As I said: are no longer capable of being a danger to society.

I don't know when that is...maybe 80. Maybe 90. Maybe older, maybe after he has a stroke and is paralyzed. It is not when he is physically capable of doing harm to others.

So am i getting this right? What you are advocating is keeping him locked up right up until the point where is on his death bed and virtually immobile, and then we release him? For what exact purpose? So that before he dies he gets to feel the sun on his face, to see the birds in the sky.. ?

In a world where such persons will be kept allive something is wrong.

A cut through his throat and finish....any bullet, gas or poison is not worth to spend.

Don't come me now with this God shit and that we are not to decide about live or dead.

The human race have to be protected from such sick life form!

It's the 'God fearing' 'bible thumpers' who are usually at the front of the crowd calling loudest for the death penalty.

I'm a Buddhist and have no qualms at all about advocating death for the buttplug who snuffed out so many lovely young lives. Show me the lever, I'll pull it myself, with vigor.

I took a class on mental disorders and how criminals are diagnosed. Unfortunately, those who murder while understanding what they have done are not considered to be mentally ill, according to DSM-IV-TR classifications. That exonerates mass murderers as being mentally competent. I believe this classification is severely lacking something, as people who go out and murder defenseless civilians for whatever reason (genocide during war or just a shooting spree) should be labelled as mentally ill, this will help victims too because by not calling those who murder like this mentally ill, in some subtle way it makes it almost "sane". It is an act of insanity.

I agree, but in this case the Norge ''Special Forces'' should have done their job when confronted with the scene of child carnage. Now the mums and dads will still be tortured every day knowing he is sitting behind a PC in his three room hotel. sad.png

Actually mate, i think in terms of helping families find closure, killing the perp on site can make it difficult because nobody gets a chance to ask him why he did the awful thing that he did. Of course it doesn't always help when you do know, but it may be better than living your life constantly wondering "why the <deleted> did he do that?".

I took a class on mental disorders and how criminals are diagnosed. Unfortunately, those who murder while understanding what they have done are not considered to be mentally ill, according to DSM-IV-TR classifications. That exonerates mass murderers as being mentally competent. I believe this classification is severely lacking something, as people who go out and murder defenseless civilians for whatever reason (genocide during war or just a shooting spree) should be labelled as mentally ill, this will help victims too because by not calling those who murder like this mentally ill, in some subtle way it makes it almost "sane". It is an act of insanity.

It is a topic that has probably been debated ad infinitum and ad nauseum. Personally, I don't believe the insanity defense should have any more credence if used in a particularly henious crime, than if used for browbeating someone. We, as a society, might as well condone extreme crimes of passion. Whether a wrong-doer is partially or wholly cognizent of the harm he's doing is secondary, in my view. If a person does the crime, that person should be punished severely.

I don't agree with many of silly things that are classified as criminal. For example: Having a little bit of hemp in your pocket can land you in jail. Whereas getting slogged-out drunk and beating your wife to a pulp is excusable. btw, hemp can not get you stoned, even if you smoked a pick up truck load of the stuff.

• Like 1

OK so we've had reactions from medieval to bleeding heart and everything in between but I would still go with the basic principle of the punishment fitting the crime.

That doesn't seem to be the case here but if the Norwegians are happy with it then fair enough.

Just keep them well away from any future war crime trials please.

• Like 2

He will never, i repeat never, be accepted by any community, (besides a community of like-minded freaks and weirdos) no matter what he does.

If rehabilitated after serving his minimum sentence and is to be freed, than surely it is the duty of the government to provide a new idenity and life for him.

One of the most cruel crimes ever committed in Europe should have given the Norwegian Government enough reason to change their laws just for this imbecile. If anyone ever deserved the death sentence it is him. It saves them a lot of money and it will give instant relief and closure to all victims and their families as well.

One of the most cruel crimes ever committed in Europe should have given the Norwegian Government enough reason to change their laws just for this imbecile. If anyone ever deserved the death sentence it is him. It saves them a lot of money and it will give instant relief and closure to all victims and their families as well.

Not sure it would be realistic to change the laws to apply retroactively but yes I agree they would be wise to look at their maximum sentences at least.
  • Like 1

He will never, i repeat never, be accepted by any community, (besides a community of like-minded freaks and weirdos) no matter what he does.

If rehabilitated after serving his minimum sentence and is to be freed, than surely it is the duty of the government to provide a new idenity and life for him.

I hope you are joking, i'd rather think that the duty of any government is to protect the well-being of honest citizens, or at least enforce proper punishments for criminals.

I consider myself quite tolerant in general, but i think Norway is sending the wrong message, like :- " You can kill 77 teen-agers in cold blood, and you will get free lodging and boarding plus free education and games.

What next ?

I would not be surprised if breivik writes a best seller book and make some million out of that..<deleted>bah.gif

Deary me. What an upside down world we live in when we start talking about the duty that the government has to mass murderers! Being civilised means we no longer drag murderers on bits of ropes behind horses, or gather around to stone them to death, though that may be what they deserve.... being civilised means we don't torture people to death, though that may be what they deserve... being civilised does NOT mean we treat murderers as victims... being civilised does NOT mean spending hours and hours of time and money, trying to make these people "better". This is complete and utter madness.

• Like 2