Dual Boot System

ballbreaker

Have just installed 64 bit desktop version of Ubuntu 12.04 on HDD that already has Windows 7 (64 bit) installed. I installed it on free disk space that I partitioned during installation process of Ubuntu. I've updated Ubuntu with the latest updates and turned on the ufw firewall. Now I have a few question since I have no experience with linux systems but have a desire to migrate off Windows.

One more detail about my situation. My internet access is through wired LAN network at my condo building. Don't know number of computers on system but there are only 63 units in building. Do not know if valid test but I tried Shields UP test located at www.grc.com and it cannot access my computer.

With the ufw firewall active do I need to be concerned with anyone in the building being able to access my system or even see my HDD when I am running Ubuntu?

Is the Windows NTFS partition visible to anyone when I run Ubuntu? I have a good software firewall when running Windows.

Are there other precautions I should take to protect my system from intrusion?

When I installed Ubuntu four partitions were created (boot, root, home and swap) because the procedure I used set it up that way. Do you really need to have four partitions when installing Ubuntu or can it be done with fewer?

Edited by ballbreaker

the firewall protect you by default, about the access to your hardisk you only need to disable samba in ubuntu and file sharing in windows, that is all, and in wherever configuration use public internet access, better that you get a router and use other network segment

Hi,

it sounds like you have a complicated (but nevertheless useful) Ub installation.

I normally free up 20Gb HDD space in Win, download the latest Ub (12.04.1, see my post yesterday),

put it onto a usb using unetbootin, reboot from usb, then install UB 'alongside other operating systems',

it does all the partitioning work for you.

That's a good tip to block Samba (thx ITGabs!). AA

ballbreaker,

Yes, a single bootable Linux partition will suffice. And, it is debatable as to whether a swap partition is necessary now. With, high RAM computers.

That said, your configuration is time proven. And, has all the bases covered.

Enjoy your Linux experience.

Hmm, In this situation, you indeed will need to act like ITGabs is suggesting. Keep your firewall up at all times.

If you can choose another way to get connected to the internet (own adsl) I'd prefer doing that.

Welcome to linux..