No Man'S Land

Hitchens

For the better part of the last seven years I've been living in the region with most of my time spent in India, Indonesia and Nepal with quite a few two or three month stints in Thailand and Cambodia as getaways. The first five years living in Asia was an enjoyable period and I had a sense that this is where I belonged and there was little doubt in my mind I was here for the long haul.

Over the last couple of years I have gradually become quite stagnant in mind, body and soul, not excited by living in the region as much any more and questioning whether it is the place for me, I suppose I'm a bit disillusioned. The frustrating part of it all is I know for certain my western homeland is definitely not the place for me as the involuntary, reflexive heaving I experience as soon as I've landed back home indicates. ;)

I guess my question to those who have chosen to live in the region is - Do you or have you often experienced doubt on your decision to live in Thailand, or else where, and when you did/do question your reasons for staying, how did you resolve the conflict or re-awaken/re-find the reasons you loved it here in the first place?

Maybe I'm experiencing something like an Asian seven year itch that I hadn't heard about.

Yep, i get very frustrated sometimes..When it happens, i think of a cold, dark and wet winter afternoon in the North of Italy, with everybody locked inside to watch the tv..And i realize how lucky i am tongue.png

• Like 1

why do you feel you need to stay?

if the voice is telling you to go, then go. not sure if you have anchors here like wife or gf, but if not it does not really matter where you are.

why are you asking a forum about whether you should stay or go?

Like mentioned above, I get this feeling also....then visit my home country for a few months and understand why I live here.

Also, the countries you mention are....IMHO...much harder to deal with. I've been to all of them, for multiple months, and couldn't live in any of them. Thailand is much better.

India was fun (mostly) for a visit, but it would drive me nuts living and working there. Same with China and I've visited China off and on for a total of maybe 7 months. Would never live there.

Like another member suggested, try another region for your extended time off holidays. Maybe Spain? Italy? Argentina? Costa Rica? Panama? Australia? Lots of options!

Every so often I hit a patch where even if I don't hate the place I seem to get a series of events that just make me want to pack up and leave. It goes away after a while and I'm happy again.

Mate of mine goes back to UK every year or eighteen months for a week and call's it his reality check. He's always happy to get back.