The Way To Guarantee Failure In Thailand........

theblether

I'm beginning to understand that the definition of a successful life in Thailand is feeling it necessary to lecture others on what is and is not an acceptable way for them to live their own life in Thailand.

and if you don't immerse completely in Thai culture, don't believe in ghosts, are not inclined to learn the language, do not savour lao khao evenings three times a week with three dozen Thai friends you are bound to fail miserably laugh.png

Exactly, I only adapt as I see fit, most of my friends are expats (a few Thais too). I live in Pattaya so when I want a juicy burger I am off to Carl Jr, don't want to eat Thai food every day, nooo thanks.

I don't watch Thai TV either and never will, I stick to HBO "imported" programs.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally those employed by the corporates have everything done for them, and these are the ones who have the most problems when dealing with Thais for problems outside the normal. The expat living under his own means will adapt a lot faster as he/she usually has no choice.

If only it were that simple....... Alas it is not.

aye, especially if the driver and maids insist on taking Sundays off.

there are people who insist that the driver and maids take off not only Sundays but Saturdays too except when there are guests in the house.

oh the humanity! ;)

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

I didn't read the full OP because there were too many words but I think I got the gist of it and tend to agree, I think.

Yes, couldn't get to the end either. I have a feeling I agree with most of it though. Even though I never lived in any other country than Thailand (and my country of birth). I guess I hit the sweet spot right away. wink.png

So you agree with that middle section ? Thats quite extraordinary if you do.

Ehhh.. Can you summarize it for me please?

I'm beginning to understand that the definition of a successful life in Thailand is feeling it necessary to lecture others on what is and is not an acceptable way for them to live their own life in Thailand.

and if you don't immerse completely in Thai culture, don't believe in ghosts, are not inclined to learn the language, do not savour lao khao evenings three times a week with three dozen Thai friends you are bound to fail miserably laugh.png

Exactly, I only adapt as I see fit, most of my friends are expats (a few Thais too). I live in Pattaya so when I want a juicy burger I am off to Carl Jr, don't want to eat Thai food every day, nooo thanks.

I don't watch Thai TV either and never will, I stick to HBO "imported" programs.

you are clearly doomed! w00t.gif

oh the humanity! wink.png

it's not humanity but a matter of enjoying a part of life in reclusion and of course more privacy. e.g. getting out of the pool stark nekkid and ask the old lady boldly whether she is inclined to have some ad hoc sex in the kitchen or the living room and then be disappointed relieved when she answers "in broad daylight? are you out of your mind?" laugh.png

recently we went even a step further and declared all wednesdays to be days of rest. all parties like it except our dogs ermm.gif

• Like 1

It has been my observation that the most reliable guarantee of failure in Thailand is to believe the lies you tell yourself.

Unless it all hangs together for you, then you have the most enjoyable time of your life, no worries, pure fun and enjoyment a great life.......

untouched by the debilitating constraints adopted by the 'realists'

Some of us have lived as ex-pats in more than one country,

I thought you were only here as a tourist?

(So in what countries have you lived as an ex-pat?)

I never claimed to be an ex-pat in Thailand......I named Africa, Germany, Spain and China......not Thailand. smile.png

theblether, whatever that means, You should know by now your going to get misquoted all the time on tv ,they just don't take the time to read what is written.
  • Like 1

Note to self.........TV members don't like a lot of words.

Except on topics of;

Sin sod

Bargirls

Suspicious suicides

Best hamburgers

You forgot ladyboys whistling.gif

And UK pensions. whistling.gif

And the closure of California WOW

One thing I see consistantly is people coming to Thailand for a second chance and blaming all their previous failures on someone else. Those who took a sober look at their past and learned from it generally made good. The rest went from blaming people in their home countries for their failures, to blaming Thais.

555....."sober look at their past"?.... pseudo profound over generalization based on tunnel vision snapshots is certainly consistent on TV ( I should say quite common as consistent is not quite the right word is it?)

One thing I see consistantly is people coming to Thailand for a second chance and blaming all their previous failures on someone else. Those who took a sober look at their past and learned from it generally made good. The rest went from blaming people in their home countries for their failures, to blaming Thais.

Quid pro quo my friend, some just return the favor to some Thais for blaming foreigners for being here in the first place. And to generalize that people who had failures in Thailand must be either drunks or losers seems to come from a narrow perspective of many people's lives here in Thailand.

Many of my friends have left Thailand for various reasons and did so soberly and of course they didn't blame the reasons for it on the Thais, just on the the inadequacy of some politicians for not understanding the value of having immigrants.

Wow, thank the Lord i only see these sorts on rare occasions. How bizarre this really is. May i apologise on behalf of the vast majority of expats and Thai nationals that you have been so incredibly unlucky to be consistently running into these characters. I generally only meet pleasant expats here who enjoy their lives and like me would feel woefully jaded to have to consistently meet these poor individuals.

I would expect such a post from a prison warder or someone working in an embassy repatriation section.

Wow, thank the Lord i only see these sorts on rare occasions. How bizarre this really is. May i apologise on behalf of the vast majority of expats and Thai nationals that you have been so incredibly unlucky to be consistently running into these characters. I generally only meet pleasant expats here who enjoy their lives and like me would feel woefully jaded to have to consistently meet these poor individuals.

I would expect such a post from a prison warder or someone working in an embassy repatriation section.

He seems not to be saying this is true of all expats and it seems he was not pointing a finger at anyone in particular - Though of course the chance of hitting a random never can never be discounted.

• Like 1

So 'When in Rome do as the Romans'.

I fell in love with the uncomplicated manner of Thai life many years ago. Compared to my home country getting done for speeding here is a pleasure.

Welcome to Thaivisa lineofentry welcomeani.gif

There's an introduction topic pinned at the top of the page if you would like to tell us more about yourself.